SB 2016-019: Conservagreen Brigade Terrorist Designation Act (Passed Senate)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:17:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2016-019: Conservagreen Brigade Terrorist Designation Act (Passed Senate)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 2016-019: Conservagreen Brigade Terrorist Designation Act (Passed Senate)  (Read 362 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2016, 06:21:01 PM »
« edited: August 29, 2016, 04:53:41 PM by tmthforu94 »

AN ACT
to further the destruction of terrorism,
and to designate those terrorists operating
under the name of "the Conservagreen
Brigade" as such

Section 1 (Title)
i. The long title of this Act shall be, the "Conservagreen Brigade Terrorist Designation Act." It may be cited as the "Conservagreen Act."

Section 2 (Preamble)
i. WHEREAS, the organization styling itself the "Conservagreen Brigade," or sometimes "Brigades," has taken deliberate measures to target and kill Atlasian citizens abroad;

ii. WHERAS, this organization has abducted two Atlasian citizens to date, without any act of provocation on the part of the Republic of Atlasia or the citizens in question;

iii. WHEREAS, these actions were directed towards unarmed civilians;

iv. WHEREAS, they have threatened the execution of the abducted citizens unless the Republic of Atlasia concedes to certain demands;

v. WHEREAS, they were conceived without the sanction of any legitimate government or constitutional power, and exist solely for the furtherance of chaos, bloodshed, and instability;

be it enacted by the Congress of the Republic of Atlasia:

Section 3 (Designation)
i. The organization styling itself as the "Conservagreen Brigade," or sometimes "Brigades," is hereby designated a terrorist organization.
ii. The Secretary of State shall have power to designate any persons or groups of persons affiliated with the aforementioned Conservagreen Brigade as terrorists under the laws of the Republic of Atlasia.
Sponsor: Tmthforu94 for SoS Truman
Co-Sponsor: Blair

72 hours for debate.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 01:48:44 PM »

Quoting this post that Truman made in the other thread.

My thanks to Representative Never Again and Speaker Kent for their speed in bringing this to the floor. The passage of this bill is of vital importance to our national security, and I am certain that the House will pass it with all due haste.

Some background, for those who have not been closely following events in the world abroad: The so-called "Conservagreen Brigade" is a terrorist organization in all but name currently operating within the Central European nation of Paflagonia. It appears that this group was formed in response to the removal of former President Andreas von Bongbong and the installation of a new government under Field Marshall Adolf von Kummerspeck earlier this month. On August 10, the group abducted two Atlasians vacationing in Paflagonia - Mike Retroman and "Ace" Spear - and threatened to execute them if our government and the government of Paflagonia failed to meet their demands. The combined efforts of the Department of State and the Paflagonian authorities succeeded in rescuing Mr. Spear, but were too late to save the life of Mr. Retroman.

In short, the actions of the Conservagreen Brigade are a textbook example of terrorism. To allow these actions to go unpunished - particularly after the death of Mr. Retroman - would seriously compromise our credibility and our ability to protect our citizens traveling abroad.

Is this conservagreen group domestic or international?
The Conservagreen Brigade is an exclusively Paflagonian organization. From the intelligence we have, it appears that the group was organized to contest the legitimacy of the current Paflagonian government; it is therefore highly unlikely that the group would have any appeal outside of that country's borders.

What does it mean for the Sec of State to designate a person as a terrorist?  I'm concerned about not infringing on a person's rights without due process.
This power would apply only to persons "affiliated with the Conservagreen Brigade," which means that the Secretary of State would need to have definitive evidence that the person or group in question was indeed a terrorist before designating them as such. I'm envisioning a scenario wherein an individual (or a group of individuals) is collaborating with the Conservagreens - selling them arms, carrying out attacks, etc. - without being a member of the group per se. Again, the designee would need to have demonstrable ties to the Conservagreen Brigade in order for the determination of the SoS to have legal standing.

If it would make this House more comfortable, I would consent to an amendment specifying that the powers laid out in Section 3.2 apply only to foreign nationals.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2016, 05:18:48 PM »

>crickets<
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2016, 08:08:40 PM »

I'm generally supportive of this - I've been following the House discussion and was waiting to see if an amendment would come out of there before passing this to help expedite the process.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2016, 03:38:44 PM »

I support this bill.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 08:04:43 PM »

All right, the House did not amend the bill, so we will now proceed to a final vote. Should this pass both chambers in the current votes, it will proceed to the president's desk.

Senators, 72 hours. Please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.
Senator Cris
Cris
Junior Chimp
Italy

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 02:55:51 AM »

Aye
Prince of Salem
JoMCaR
Peru

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 04:30:12 AM »

Aye
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 06:16:05 AM »

Aye
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2016, 06:29:36 AM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2016, 08:10:39 AM »

Aye

This bill has enough votes to pass. Senators have 24 hours to change their votes.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2016, 12:39:26 PM »

Aye.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star