Should underage male (non-medical) circumcision be banned? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:51:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should underage male (non-medical) circumcision be banned? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Author Topic: Should underage male (non-medical) circumcision be banned?  (Read 5814 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: August 24, 2016, 07:48:41 PM »

I'm a parental maximalist.

Or in English, the state should mind their own business on this stuff.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 01:57:07 PM »

Circumcision is a procedure that rarely harms anyone (aside from a tiny number of... accidents), and is, of course, an important element of Jewish custom (forgive me if I have phrased this clumsily). More to the point, talk of babies and 'consent' misses the fundamental practicality that babies are in no position to consent to anything, be it how they are fed, where they are taken, the style of their hair (I mean on that point I came out of the womb with a full head of Michael Heseltine hair) etc. They are, to all intents and purposes, the property of their parents (a special kind of property to be sure but property none the less), and so the decision for circumcision is really up to the mother and the father.

Agreed. "Property" is a clumsy bit of phrasing, but the concept is correct. The family is a fundamental institution to our society. Parents are charged with raising their children, and the vast majority do so with the best intentions to the best of their abilities. The state interfering in parenting choices smacks of authoritarianism even at the best of times, and has great potential to be abused.

With that in mind, I am opposed to the state to intervening in a parent's decision making unless the child is being severely harmed. Circumcision doesn't come remotely close to meeting that threshold.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 02:02:55 PM »

Also, how do the ban supporters want to enforce this thing when Jews inevitably defy the law and circumcise their children? I don't really see how this could seriously be enforced without news stories of the police seizing Jewish babies in hospital or raiding Jewish neighborhoods to pick up the children. You'd effectively be banning a religious ritual, which might be good for our fedora tipping friends, but not for the rest of us.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies