Reuters/Ipsos: (Most) States (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:05:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  Reuters/Ipsos: (Most) States (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reuters/Ipsos: (Most) States  (Read 15103 times)
mencken
« on: August 27, 2016, 09:07:43 AM »

I thought Reuters was a good pollster...?

By definition 2 out of every 50 polls is going to have a result outside of the margin of error of the actual result. If we assume a sample size of ~350 (which seems typical for a medium-sided state in these polls), then a fair amount of these polls should be 5% or further from the actual result, with smaller states even less precise.
mencken
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 02:22:49 PM »

On FiveThirtyEight, an Ipsos poll has Trump leading here. Is this legit or no?
I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of Trump having a lead there or drawing things close in Colorado as nonsense. The Ipsos polls of the state actually have a statistically significant sample and a two-week frame of reference.

Given the state of the national race, it could be closer than some of the older data suggests.

I am not saying Trump is ahead in the state, but it could be closer than you think. There hasn't been a legit landline/cell poll of the state in a while.

Quinnipiac and Marist had Clinton up at 8 and 12 respectively back in early August. Since then Trump has picked up ~4 points nationally, so a modest single digit lead is about what should be expected here.
mencken
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 06:05:26 AM »

This also has WV as Trump +10, for what it's worth.

Probably best to treat with significant skepticism subsamples with lower than traditional sample sizes (I wish people would apply this logic to demographic crosstabs...)
mencken
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2016, 10:09:36 AM »

FL Clinton+4 here too. What are the chances of so many polls of different qualities showing Clinton+4 in FL this many times? Has the race stabilized/locked in that much there?

Cough cough herding
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies