Mexican Elections 2017-18 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:53:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Mexican Elections 2017-18 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mexican Elections 2017-18  (Read 86413 times)
BundouYMB

« on: January 07, 2018, 01:42:34 PM »

Comparing AMLO to Trump is the dumbest hot take I've ever seen.
BundouYMB

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:17:04 PM »

I would argue there is no good comparison. AMLO is a unique candidate in a unique country. Pretty much all of these x = y comparisons between candidates in different countries (and indeed often from different sides of the globe) are awful pop journalism. The writer would rather make an easily digestible comparison to someone the reader is familiar with then write anything with any depth or complexity that would convey a good understanding of the situation.
BundouYMB

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2018, 08:09:56 PM »

AMLO is undoubtedly one of the great political geniuses of this century for his seamless fusion of honest left-wing politicians with corrupt party-hopping apparatchiks who just want to have their hands in the government cookie jar. It's a tribute to his skills as a leader. I have very high expectations for his presidency.
BundouYMB

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2018, 08:38:09 PM »

Yes that's my next question - haven't been looking at the results really apart from President - will AMLO have a majority in both chambers?

Thanks!

This is a big question mark. With the scale of his victory I think he will. However, there is currently less than 0.1% of the vote in so it's impossible to know yet.
BundouYMB

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 08:44:54 PM »

To be fair so little of the vote is in that there's not much point in talking about it. How can you analyze 0.15% of the vote?
BundouYMB

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2018, 08:06:17 AM »

Overall it seems that in all races AMLO vote share > Congressional (MORENA-PES-PT) vote share > MORENA-PES-PT Governor race vote share (where relevant).

This seems to indicate that even if AMLO does not mess up MORENA will not be the electoral powerhouse it is this election cycle without AMLO.

It depends. This is because right now AMLO is the only significant, well liked figure in MORENA. No one else from MORENA could win the Presidency today.

However, now MORENA has Governors. AMLO also became a national figure through his time as a Governor. If even just one of these Governors is popular and achieves substantial reforms then MORENA could very easily continue without AMLO.
BundouYMB

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2018, 10:14:08 PM »

Do all these new PT/PES deputies actually originate from those two parties, or are they AMLO loyalists who were imposed on those parties to mess with the 8% rule?
BundouYMB

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2018, 11:34:16 PM »

Do all these new PT/PES deputies actually originate from those two parties, or are they AMLO loyalists who were imposed on those parties to mess with the 8% rule?

I haven't sorted through the list yet, but given that 'PES deputies' seem to include Zoe Robledo (ex-PRD/Morena-PT senator from Chiapas), Gerardo Fernández Noroña (former ex-PRD/PT deputy) and Benjamín Robles Montoya (Morena-PT senator), I strongly suspect the latter (in most cases).

Edit: Marybel Villegas, 'PES senator' for QRoo, has previously run for the PRD, PAN and PRI (yes!).

That's what I suspected simply because I couldn't imagine either of them even being able to recruit this many candidates on such short notice, although the idea of the Mexican parliament actually having 60 members who would join, say, the PT (which from everything I've read sounds like a borderline cult ran by a massive weirdo) because they really believe in it and its weird soviet-style communiques is certainly amusing to imagine at least.
BundouYMB

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2018, 05:04:44 PM »

Thank you for the information. I was interested in municipal results but unsure where to find them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies