remember 1989-90?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:54:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  remember 1989-90?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: remember 1989-90?  (Read 4908 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2005, 11:28:44 AM »

In actuality the chances of global thermonuclear war Wink was minimal at best. The Soviets would have never launched an attack as their abilities were far less then was believed at the time. It was mostly hype and propaganda during the cold war rather then fact.
This is true to a large extent. Analogy to the situation today fully applies.

Err, not exactly. The terrorists have struck us and killed citizens on many occassions. I don't remember many times when the Soviets ever killed American citizens on US shores.
Yes...true...but...compare the no. of US dead in, say, Korea, to the prospect of nuclear winter. Not compareable, although the first is horrible enough.
Compare the no. of dead in the WTC to the prospect of...you name 'em...nuking Washington. Not compareable, although the first is horrible enough.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2005, 12:20:44 PM »

The danger is nuclear terrorism. The Soviets were at least sane and wanted to actually live.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2005, 12:26:31 PM »

The danger is nuclear terrorism. The Soviets were at least sane
No.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
So does Kim Jong Il.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 12:37:43 PM »

He may. Doesn't mean the guy he hands a nuke off to does.

Consider Hussein. Had the assassination plot against President Bush been successful, he would have been a goner, but he ordered it anyway.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2005, 01:00:43 PM »

Proof?

I dimly remember hearing of an attempt, or a plot, or whatever it was, on George Bush when he was visiting Kuwait in 1992 (I guess). I don't remember the details, I was only 13 at the time. I haven't heard anything about it since. I've tried googling it, but haven't found anything. It's not mentioned in Bush's Wikipedia biography. It's not on a list of serious assassination attempts against US presidents on Wikipedia (there're 13 entries, not counting the successful attempts). It wasn't mentioned in the buildup to the war by anti-Saddamies. Even though it would make a good argument for how dangerous this guy is.
Which brings me to part 2: Where's the difference, in the "goner" stakes, between a successful and a failed attempt at the life of a US President? (Note that the letters US are important here. Nobody supported a Libyan invasion of the US after Reagan ordered several assassination attempts of Ghaddafi, one of which killed Ghaddafi's 4 year old daughter. Just an aside observation, and not really my point.)
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2005, 01:06:20 PM »

Are you saying Kim Jong Il is not sane?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2005, 01:10:48 PM »

His collection of movies sure ain't. Smiley
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2005, 01:11:57 PM »

Proof?

I dimly remember hearing of an attempt, or a plot, or whatever it was, on George Bush when he was visiting Kuwait in 1992 (I guess). I don't remember the details, I was only 13 at the time. I haven't heard anything about it since. I've tried googling it, but haven't found anything. It's not mentioned in Bush's Wikipedia biography. It's not on a list of serious assassination attempts against US presidents on Wikipedia (there're 13 entries, not counting the successful attempts). It wasn't mentioned in the buildup to the war by anti-Saddamies. Even though it would make a good argument for how dangerous this guy is.
Which brings me to part 2: Where's the difference, in the "goner" stakes, between a successful and a failed attempt at the life of a US President? (Note that the letters US are important here. Nobody supported a Libyan invasion of the US after Reagan ordered several assassination attempts of Ghaddafi, one of which killed Ghaddafi's 4 year old daughter. Just an aside observation, and not really my point.)

Several Democratic congressmen, as well as internet trolls (the latter having more credibility), said it was the reason Bush went to war.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2005, 01:12:18 PM »

You have seen his collection of movies? Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2005, 01:16:49 PM »

Proof?

Several Democratic congressmen, as well as internet trolls (the latter having more credibility), said it was the reason Bush went to war.
Smiley
You mean, the whole "Sure everything out of the administration is a lie, but it's not as bad as you others think. It's not about oil. He just wants to avenge daddy" theory? It may have some merits. But it's not the truth full stop.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2005, 01:23:53 PM »

Both the oil theory and the revenge theory are incredibly dumb. But that's irrelevant to the subject at hand, which is that it's been widely reported that Hussein tried to kill President Bush after Gulf War I.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 01:25:24 PM »

Both the oil theory and the revenge theory are incredibly dumb. But that's irrelevant to the subject at hand, which is that it's been widely reported that Hussein tried to kill President Bush after Gulf War I.
"It's been widely reported", yes, I remember it even. But is it at all true? I'm very, very, very seriously puzzled at the moment. 
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 01:34:50 PM »

Well, what leads you to think it isn't? Problem with a Google search is that it'll probably bring up this Bush's recent 'attack.'
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 01:44:30 PM »

Well, what leads you to think it isn't? Problem with a Google search is that it'll probably bring up this Bush's recent 'attack.'
True. I tried it in German, no word confusion there. No help.
What leads me to think it isn't? Nothing. What leads me to think it might not be? Everything.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2005, 04:53:27 PM »

Well, actually the current 'terrorism' was mostly created by cold-war policies.

Prove it

Good lord, man, we meddled in the middle east, and were rightly resented for it, and then some of the most extreme resenters knocked down a couple of buildings. 

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2005, 03:09:02 AM »

Good lord, man, we meddled in the middle east, and were rightly resented for it, and then some of the most extreme resenters knocked down a couple of buildings. 

Are you trying to sound like a crude and very cruel caricature of the worst kind of ignorant rent-a-quote anti-american leftist?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2005, 03:20:00 AM »

Are you trying to sound like a crude and very cruel caricature of the worst kind of ignorant rent-a-quote anti-american leftist?
He's oversimplifying.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2005, 02:33:19 PM »

Didn't spot that bit before. Sicko.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2005, 06:47:13 PM »

Didn't spot that bit before. Sicko.

Just putting things in perspective.

And Trondheim is right, my statements above were the simple, short version of what happened - but still very accurate.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2005, 02:09:30 AM »

Just putting things in perspective.

Thousands of people DIED in a pretty horrible way
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2005, 04:14:30 AM »

Well, whilst impersonal, he's correct, Al.

The US did meddle in the middle east, rightly or wrongly; that meddlingly did, of course, prduce resentment; some of the most extreme of those who resented the US knocked down a couple of buildings. It was a tragedy, but it's not like it came totally out of the blue and for no reason at all. Whether we AGREE with the reason or not doesn't matter; it still existed. Plus maybe things do need to be put into perspective a bit more-more people died in Bhopal, but that hardly changed the world order.

Septmber 11 was a tragedy, sure, but it wasn't the worst thing that's even happenned in the world, and it was at least partially because of US actions. That's fact, like it or not.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2005, 09:39:42 AM »

Proof?

In fact Clinton launched several cruise missiles to Iraq as counterblow for Saddam's plant.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2005, 09:45:25 AM »

Proof?

In fact Clinton launched several cruise missiles to Iraq as counterblow for Saddam's plant.
Ah, so it was after Bush's presidency. That would certainly explain why it's not on the Wiki list...do you remember more about the event? I'm seriously puzzled.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2005, 09:53:37 AM »

It is never correct to refer to the deaths of thousands of people as "knocked down a couple of buildings"
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2005, 09:58:13 AM »

It is never correct to refer to the deaths of thousands of people as "knocked down a couple of buildings"
The deaths of thousands of insects everyday are usually described as "birds circling"... Kiki
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies