The absentee/early vote thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:51:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The absentee/early vote thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 86
Author Topic: The absentee/early vote thread  (Read 171283 times)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1250 on: October 28, 2016, 09:25:13 PM »

Additionally, Oregon now has automatic driver license voter registration, which is likely expanding voter registration levels among first-time drivers, as well as those who need to renew their driver's license every 7-8 years.

This is why automatic voter registration is even more critical in states with vote-by-mail like CO/WA/OR. With everyone who interacts with the DMV getting registered, they automatically end up receiving a ballot with no extra steps on their part. The next step would be to automatically register those who interact with other public agencies, like Illinois was trying to do (before Rauner vetoed it)

I'm curious what the final numbers will be in Oregon. I'd expect more than usual, even with any higher turnout trends factored in, but then again I've also heard speculation that turnout as a share of the registered voter electorate, it could be smaller because even people who are registered who wouldn't have been otherwise, it doesn't mean they all end up voting, which could cause the % of registered voters who voted to be lower than usual even if way more people ended up voting in general.

But, we'll see!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1251 on: October 28, 2016, 09:25:50 PM »

^ Matches the VBM patterns in Washington so far.  We don't have party registration, but I've seen the data.

So what are you seeing for early VBM numbers in Clark and Pierce Counties thus far for relatively Blue Collar parts of the state?

I've been looking at the return rates among voters who participated in our useless May presidential primary as a gauge of enthusiasm -- especially since you'd figure those folks are disproportionately hardcore party faithful.  So far, Democratic returns outpace Republican turns about 27.2% to 22.8%.  The gap is mostly pretty uniform statewide.  King is slightly higher than average, but among the 36/39 counties reporting statistics, only two have a higher return rate among Republicans.  Those are Okanogan, which had a high-turnout ballot measure on the May ballot, so I wouldn't pay that due, and Grays Harbor, a working-class Dem-leaning county where Trump did quite well in the primary.

Oddly enough, Spokane has an even bigger gap (30.1% vs. 24.8%) than King.

Also, what's going on in Whitman and Spokane counties with VBMs in Eastern Washington, as well as some smaller counties along the Columbia River Gorge?

Sorry, in what way?

How's your Washington state flip map working based on what your early numbers are showing?

Eh, I'm reluctant to read too much into this.  I think it's a good sign for the Democrats, but considering today's national news and how vague these tea leaves are, I'm not overthinking it.  I expect turnout to even out, and after today, we may see the enthusiasm gap reverse slightly.  Who knows Smiley

Apologies... no party registration makes it a bit more difficult to read the bird entrails, so you have a bit less to work with for data points, other than the May "Primaries" to look at overall turnout and enthusiasm levels . Sad

How is overall party registration and turnout numbers looking like in heavily Latino Counties in Eastern Washington? Have we seen a surge in voter registration numbers in places like Yakima County as well as early turnout numbers? What are early voting numbers looking like in heavily Mormon Counties in SE Washington?

What we are seeing in Eastern Oregon is high turnout levels in many traditionally Republican Counties that have both a large population of Mormons, as well as large populations of Latinos, and even with Party ID (Unlike WA) it's difficult to tell if we will see some interesting results from places like the "Inland Empire" where there is both a strong Anti-Trump Republican element, as well as an extremely large and latent Latino vote, in what are generally heavily Republican parts of both Oregon and Washington.

I wish I could run the 2008 and 2012 numbers in Oregon by County and Party ID for early voting, but unfortunately, I think I would need to pay to pull this data. Sad
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1252 on: October 28, 2016, 09:29:15 PM »

^ Matches the VBM patterns in Washington so far.  We don't have party registration, but I've seen the data.

So what are you seeing for early VBM numbers in Clark and Pierce Counties thus far for relatively Blue Collar parts of the state?

I've been looking at the return rates among voters who participated in our useless May presidential primary as a gauge of enthusiasm -- especially since you'd figure those folks are disproportionately hardcore party faithful.  So far, Democratic returns outpace Republican turns about 27.2% to 22.8%.  The gap is mostly pretty uniform statewide.  King is slightly higher than average, but among the 36/39 counties reporting statistics, only two have a higher return rate among Republicans.  Those are Okanogan, which had a high-turnout ballot measure on the May ballot, so I wouldn't pay that due, and Grays Harbor, a working-class Dem-leaning county where Trump did quite well in the primary.

Oddly enough, Spokane has an even bigger gap (30.1% vs. 24.8%) than King.

Also, what's going on in Whitman and Spokane counties with VBMs in Eastern Washington, as well as some smaller counties along the Columbia River Gorge?

Sorry, in what way?

How's your Washington state flip map working based on what your early numbers are showing?

Eh, I'm reluctant to read too much into this.  I think it's a good sign for the Democrats, but considering today's national news and how vague these tea leaves are, I'm not overthinking it.  I expect turnout to even out, and after today, we may see the enthusiasm gap reverse slightly.  Who knows Smiley

Apologies... no party registration makes it a bit more difficult to read the bird entrails, so you have a bit less to work with for data points, other than the May "Primaries" to look at overall turnout and enthusiasm levels . Sad

How is overall party registration and turnout numbers looking like in heavily Latino Counties in Eastern Washington? Have we seen a surge in voter registration numbers in places like Yakima County as well as early turnout numbers? What are early voting numbers looking like in heavily Mormon Counties in SE Washington?

What we are seeing in Eastern Oregon is high turnout levels in many traditionally Republican Counties that have both a large population of Mormons, as well as large populations of Latinos, and even with Party ID (Unlike WA) it's difficult to tell if we will see some interesting results from places like the "Inland Empire" where there is both a strong Anti-Trump Republican element, as well as an extremely large and latent Latino vote, in what are generally heavily Republican parts of both Oregon and Washington.

I wish I could run the 2008 and 2012 numbers in Oregon by County and Party ID for early voting, but unfortunately, I think I would need to pay to pull this data. Sad

How are you getting partisan data when we don't have party registration?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #1253 on: October 28, 2016, 09:30:59 PM »

http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/26/politics/early-voting-statistics-2016-election

Interesting numbers.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1254 on: October 28, 2016, 09:34:02 PM »

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn
Florida's registered voters, now final:
2016: White 64.2, Hispanic 15.7, Black 13.4
2012: White 66.5, Hispanic 13.9, Black 13.6
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1255 on: October 28, 2016, 09:34:38 PM »

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn

Broadly, excellent.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1256 on: October 28, 2016, 09:40:34 PM »

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn

Also for reference, 2008: White 69, Black 13.1, Hispanic 12
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #1257 on: October 28, 2016, 09:40:42 PM »

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn

Looks like Hispanics are flexing their political power and are about ready to show Donald Trump the door.
dspNY
United States

« Reply #1258 on: October 28, 2016, 09:42:56 PM »

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn

Broadly, excellent.

That would explain part of why FAU found Clinton up by 13 among early voters even though the party ID breakdown is even. Lots of newly registered Hispanic voters register as independent
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #1259 on: October 28, 2016, 09:47:30 PM »
« Edited: October 29, 2016, 01:41:59 AM by Fmr President & Senator Polnut »

Nate Cohn ‏@Nate_Cohn

Broadly, excellent.

That would explain part of why FAU found Clinton up by 13 among early voters even though the party ID breakdown is even. Lots of newly registered Hispanic voters register as independent

Well, that is really promising.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1260 on: October 28, 2016, 10:51:42 PM »

Some more on Florida:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1261 on: October 28, 2016, 10:53:19 PM »

Some more on Florida:

The Angry Puerto Rican vote will push FL into the higher single-digits. Wink

P.S. Any updates on the complete totals from NV today?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1262 on: October 28, 2016, 10:55:21 PM »

not likely, they come late in the night usually....after 11 pm local time..at least 2-3 more hours. Wink
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1263 on: October 28, 2016, 10:58:48 PM »

Some more on Florida:

The Angry Puerto Rican vote will push FL into the higher single-digits. Wink

More on FL:

Amazing to think that Bush almost one this county in 2004.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1264 on: October 28, 2016, 11:17:56 PM »

I dropped off my absentee ballot. Straight Democratic, although I did vote for the unopposed Republican nominee for sheriff.

I made a turn in front of a speeder that I didn't see, and immediately pulled to the shoulder to let him get past me. I saw the sheriff's car next and waited. I then got into the traffic lane and continued on.

The speeder got a ticket. 
Southern Delegate matthew27
matthew27
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -1.22

« Reply #1265 on: October 29, 2016, 12:50:39 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2016, 12:54:13 AM by matthew27 »

Nevada-incomplete 2016 numbers http://nvsos.gov/sos/home/showdocument?id=4543

In person
  Democrats 149,783, Republicans 115,697 = 34,086 vote lead for the democrats. About 10.21% lead!

Mail in's

Republicans 18,974,  Democrats 16,837 = 2,137 lead for the republicans

34,086-2,137 = 31,949 vote lead for the democrats...Likely to drop a little as most county's out are pro-republican.

Compared to

Nevada at the completion of the first week of 2012 seen a 29,187 Democrat lead in inperson voting and a ~535 early mail in lead for the republicans. So for a overall lead of 28,652 votes for the Democrats.

http://nvsos.gov/sos/home/showdocument?id=2501
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1266 on: October 29, 2016, 01:25:54 AM »

Things are looking good in Nevada.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1267 on: October 29, 2016, 01:27:25 AM »

In % terms, doesn't that mean that the Democratic margin is about the same as in 2012? Which is all right, I guess, but I'd like to see Dems overperform.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1268 on: October 29, 2016, 04:31:02 AM »

I voted yesterday.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #1269 on: October 29, 2016, 09:59:20 AM »

This is the last early vote weekend, correct? I'm looking forward to updates. If we can lock down NV and CO, it's over.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1270 on: October 29, 2016, 10:01:43 AM »

yeah.....it is.

which brings me to the question.....does that mean you americans are able to vote right now but not between next friday and tuesday?
Thomas D
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: -6.61

« Reply #1271 on: October 29, 2016, 10:06:19 AM »

yeah.....it is.

which brings me to the question.....does that mean you americans are able to vote right now but not between next friday and tuesday?

Yes. Smiley
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #1272 on: October 29, 2016, 10:06:29 AM »

yeah.....it is.

State by state - in Texas we could vote from this last Monday (the 24th) through Friday (the 4th). Then no voting until the 8th.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1273 on: October 29, 2016, 10:07:31 AM »

thanks both of you.

sounds really strange, especially since weekends are the "normal" time for voting in nearly every modern democracy.....surely would also increase turnout.
BoAtlantis

« Reply #1274 on: October 29, 2016, 10:28:33 AM »
« Edited: October 29, 2016, 10:30:43 AM by BoAtlantis »

What's interesting to me is how blacks are under-performing this year, possibly even above and beyond their limited access to voting locations.

Unaffiliated #'s are way outperforming.

Democrats aren't doing terribly so far because many liberal youngsters have registered as unaffiliated this year but Democrats definitely need to way outperform their 2012 #'s. They have serious grounds to make up.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 [51] 52 53 54 55 56 ... 86  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies