Germany's last multi-party election in 1933
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:51:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Germany's last multi-party election in 1933
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Germany's last multi-party election in 1933  (Read 1020 times)
rob in cal
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 10, 2016, 05:30:58 PM »

I had always thought that the Reichstag election of March 5, 1933 held a month and a week after Hitler had been appointed chancellor were the last multi-party elections held in Germany until after the war, and of course they were held in less than democratic conditions, with many leftists under arrest or fearing arrest, newspapers being banned etc.
   However, according to a biography of Goebbels that I'm reading, there were local elections held throughout Prussia on March 12, 1933. According to this, the NSDAP won 38% of the Berlin vote, an improvement from the 34.6% the party won the week before.   
   Does anyone have any information about this.  Haven't found anything on the internet, and the source in the biography was the Berlin statistische Jahrbuch 1933.
pilskonzept
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.67, S: -2.92

« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 06:24:13 PM »

I had always thought that the Reichstag election of March 5, 1933 held a month and a week after Hitler had been appointed chancellor were the last multi-party elections held in Germany until after the war, and of course they were held in less than democratic conditions, with many leftists under arrest or fearing arrest, newspapers being banned etc.
   However, according to a biography of Goebbels that I'm reading, there were local elections held throughout Prussia on March 12, 1933. According to this, the NSDAP won 38% of the Berlin vote, an improvement from the 34.6% the party won the week before.   
   Does anyone have any information about this.  Haven't found anything on the internet, and the source in the biography was the Berlin statistische Jahrbuch 1933.

Results for Prussian provincial assemblies ("Provinziallandtage") including the provincial-level city of Berlin can be found at gonschior.de/weimar/Preussen/Provinzen.html (sorry, no links yet). As to lower-level results...you can find a lot of them online, but not collected centrally on any particular site.

The change in Berlin from March 5 to March 12 is mostly explained by lower turnout (76% versus 87%) and a lower KPD result (19% versus 24%), i.e. KPD voters abstaining.
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 11:50:43 AM »

You also can't really claim these as totally free and fair elections IMO, for the same reasons why you can't claim that the national ones were (the post-Reichstag fire decrees leading to the start of general political repression, mainly against the KPD at that point but also affecting other groups), plus if I remember right these elections were called in a dodgy way - as late as late 1932 Prussia had a democratic administration (SPD led I think, not 100% sure) although it had lost its majority by that point (they had a constructive vote of confidence in their constitution though which helped them survive, Weimar could have done with that really): Papen used Hindenburg's executive powers to put the national government in charge although the Prussian government contested it until that election when the Nazis were able to form government.

It is quite funny though that Prussia had one of the last state governments controlled by parties committed to democracy was Prussia; considering that the non-Hitler old nationalist forces trying to engineer the return of the empire were parts of the old Prussian elite...
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies