Possible Future SCOTUS Nominees over the Next Four Years(Exclude Garland)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:55:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Possible Future SCOTUS Nominees over the Next Four Years(Exclude Garland)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Possible Future SCOTUS Nominees over the Next Four Years(Exclude Garland)  (Read 6595 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 11, 2016, 05:43:38 PM »

Democratic:
Cate Edwards, Neal Katyal, Thurgood Marshall, Jr., Robin Carnahan, Vanita Gupta, Janet Napolitano, Mary Philips, Brian Wimes, Anthony Romero, William Hochul, Jr.(and compromise: John G. Levi/Martha Minow)

Republican:
Catherine Hanaway, Leslie Rutledge, Pat DeWine, Jeffrey Chiesa, Eric Skrmetta, Corey Stewart, Greg Edwards(compromise: Christopher Jacobs)

Either:
Jeffrey Rosen, David F. Levi, Roslynn Mauskopf, John Bel Edwards, Brian Sandoval
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2016, 10:00:57 PM »

Sri Srinivasan would probably be under consideration for either.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2016, 10:35:27 PM »

Of the ones that you mentioned, Pat DeWine would make a fine justice, IMO. I'd prefer judges who have had experience on courts, and not those who had been in politics (they would probably be viewed as a little too partisan during hearings). Of those you listed, JBE is one exception, while he is doing a good job as governor and is not too partisan, governors are not SCOTUS justices, and I can't see a Republican appointing him, he is a little too pro labor and pro regulation (from what I hear). As a Republican, I would take Brian Sandoval (even though he is to the left of JBE, socially) over JBE in a heartbeat. Sandoval would also be more likely to retire under a GOP administration, while JBE would likely do so in a Democratic administration.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2016, 11:24:57 PM »

Sandoval is the kind of Republican that would be nominated only if there was a Republican President facing a Democratic Senate. Other than the nomination of Justice Kennedy, you have to go back to the Nixon Administration to find such a setup.

If a Democratic President had the Senate and was feeling particularly feisty, I'd like to see Goodwin Liu nominated and confirmed.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2016, 01:10:18 AM »

Sandoval is the kind of Republican that would be nominated only if there was a Republican President facing a Democratic Senate. Other than the nomination of Justice Kennedy, you have to go back to the Nixon Administration to find such a setup.

Stevens, Souter, Thomas.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 04:10:33 AM »

Stevens, Souter, Thomas.

Duh. Wow, my mind was in a different place. Generally though, a President without the Senate has tended to moderate the nominees with only one exception. The Democratic Senate should have defeated the nomination of Clarence Thomas with immediate haste. Kennedy was understandable. Thomas was not. A Democratic President attempting to fill a SCOTUS seat with a Republican Senate hasn't happened in the modern age prior to this year.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 11:43:13 AM »

Sri Srinivasan would probably be under consideration for either.

Not for a Republican.

I can't imagine the Trumpster to nominate this guy.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 10:41:06 PM »

Maryanne Trump Barry
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2016, 09:48:38 AM »

Ted Cruz
Mike Lee's brother
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 08:37:20 PM »
« Edited: November 21, 2016, 08:39:18 PM by ERM64man »

Democrat: Deval Patrick, Elizabeth Warren, Harold Koh, Jennifer Granholm, Jane Kelly
Republican: Brian Sandoval, Diane Sykes, Chris Cox (former congressman from Orange County, CA who was considered by George W. Bush as a possible replacement for Sandra Day O'Connor), Miguel Estrada, Jeffrey Sutton
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2016, 04:02:16 PM »

Does anyone think that Ken Mehlman is a possibility?
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2016, 04:21:39 PM »

Does anyone think that Ken Mehlman is a possibility?
Maybe. Who would Trump be more likely to pick: Peter Thiel or former California Congressman Chris Cox?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2016, 07:51:30 AM »

I think the biggest concern is the amount of influence Pence might have over this pick. I don't Trump himself would appoint a socon warrior, but Pence wants that more than anything.

Ken Mehlman would be a sigh of relief to many on the left on the marriage issue, but do you really think a Republican President with a Republican Senate is going to nominate the first gay Supreme Court Justice?

At this point, I'd rather have Scalia back than whatever right-wing ideologue is going to come as his replacement. At least Justice Scalia had certain principles that would not violate, regardless of ideology. And while I don't appreciate his homophobia or staunch pro-death penalty stance, I commend some of his free speech rulings and those protecting the rights of criminal defendants. Unfortunately, I don't expect his replacement to share many of those latter views. I'm expecting something close to Alito, a right-wing ideologue whose outstanding positions are some of the worst.
I知 not Stu
ERM64man
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 09:48:42 PM »
« Edited: December 05, 2016, 09:58:52 PM by ERM64man »

I think the biggest concern is the amount of influence Pence might have over this pick. I don't Trump himself would appoint a socon warrior, but Pence wants that more than anything.

Ken Mehlman would be a sigh of relief to many on the left on the marriage issue, but do you really think a Republican President with a Republican Senate is going to nominate the first gay Supreme Court Justice?

At this point, I'd rather have Scalia back than whatever right-wing ideologue is going to come as his replacement. At least Justice Scalia had certain principles that would not violate, regardless of ideology. And while I don't appreciate his homophobia or staunch pro-death penalty stance, I commend some of his free speech rulings and those protecting the rights of criminal defendants. Unfortunately, I don't expect his replacement to share many of those latter views. I'm expecting something close to Alito, a right-wing ideologue whose outstanding positions are some of the worst.
Yes. Pence scares me more than Trump. There was one time Scalia voted in favor of gay rights in Hollingsworth v. Perry, Clarence Thomas never did. Will Ginsburg, Breyer, or Kennedy be replaced by some extreme reactionary like Roy Moore, Brett Kavanaugh, or Miguel Estrada? I prefer someone like Brian Sandoval.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 10:31:38 PM »

Roslynn Mauskopf, Risa Vetri Ferman, or Mary Beth Buchanan are probably his best picks for females.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 08:10:35 AM »

Yes. Pence scares me more than Trump. There was one time Scalia voted in favor of gay rights in Hollingsworth v. Perry, Clarence Thomas never did. Will Ginsburg, Breyer, or Kennedy be replaced by some extreme reactionary like Roy Moore, Brett Kavanaugh, or Miguel Estrada? I prefer someone like Brian Sandoval.

Hollingsworth wasn't really about marriage equality so much as it was about judicial standing. Justices Kennedy and Sotomayor were in the dissent on that case, while in the majority in Obergefell.

I don't expect any voluntary retirements, unless absolutely necessary. If one does arise, it wouldn't be someone like Roy Moore. I'm quite certain he would be rejected by even a Republican Senate. If the picks are screened through Pence, Sandoval wouldn't get through. He's the kind of nominee for a Republican President with a Democratic Senate or extremely narrow Republican Majority. There are probably enough institutionalists remaining on the Republican side to prevent the nuclear option on SCOTUS nominations. However, that's not to say a very charming staunch conservative couldn't get through the next Senate (think John Roberts with a very thin paper trail).
Mike67
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2016, 11:19:31 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2016, 11:58:55 AM by Mike67 »

Here's a good list of Conservative Candidates for the Supreme Court

Keith Blackwell Georgia Supreme Court Justice

Charles Canady Florida Supreme Court Justice

Neil Gorsuch Judge Tenth Circuit US Court Of Appeals

Mike Lee Senator from Utah who used to be Assistant US Attorney from Utah and he's on the Senate Judiciary Comittee

Edward Mansfield Justice Iowa Supreme Court

Federico Moreno Judge US District Court Southern District of Florida

Margaret A Ryan Judge US Court of Appeals for the Armed Forces

Amul Thapar Judge US District Court Eastern District of Kentucky

Timothy Tymkovich  Chief Judge US Court of Appeals Tenth Circuit

Robert Young Chief Justice Supreme Court of Michigan
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2016, 03:03:30 PM »

Mike Lee Senator from Utah who used to be Assistant US Attorney from Utah and he's on the Senate Judiciary Comittee

Other than Blackwell nobody on this list would be as controversial as a Sykes or Pryor. Could see some red state Dems backing Gorsuch, Ryan or Tymkovich for example
Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2016, 08:23:34 PM »

Obviously the question is moot for now, but who are some of the more left wing potential nominees that a Democrat (like Sanders) would pick?
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2016, 09:07:45 PM »

Other than Blackwell nobody on this list would be as controversial as a Sykes or Pryor. Could see some red state Dems backing Gorsuch, Ryan or Tymkovich for example
Mike Lee would be controversial: partisan elected official, and would face the Senate, which he's part of. Judges only (but that's my opinion).
Mike67
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 08:54:25 PM »

Obviously the question is moot for now, but who are some of the more left wing potential nominees that a Democrat (like Sanders) would pick?

Nina Pillard seems like an obvious choice in this scenario.

Maryanne Trump Barry is a very liberal judge
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 09:55:06 PM »

I will laugh if Trump nominates his sister as judge, like he suggested in the first debate
Mike67
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 10:02:06 PM »

I will laugh if Trump nominates his sister as judge, like he suggested in the first debate

I don't think that will happen Wink
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 12:00:05 AM »

Neither do I. Though if Tillerson gets shot down and Trump gets mad who knows
Mike67
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 12:02:58 AM »

Neither do I. Though if Tillerson gets shot down and Trump gets mad who knows

He'll nominate Newt Gingrich if Tillerson is shot down Wink
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies