The liberal Republic (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:23:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 17
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107648 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #100 on: January 27, 2018, 04:57:27 AM »

Setember 27, 1972

Post-debate polls: Most viewers see Nelson Rockefeller as winner

Ad-hoc polls released on September 27, 1972, showed that most viewers regard Nelson Rockefeller as the winner of the first debate. The New York governor also ahead in most categories.

Q: Who you think won the debate over all?
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 52%
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 36%
Undecided or tie: 12%

Q: Who won the argument about the economy and taxes?
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 56%
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 33%
Undecided or tie: 11%

Q: Who you think won the debate over foreign policy?
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 49%
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 42%
Undecided or tie: 9%

Q: Who do you think won the argument over crime?
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 53%
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 38%

Q: Who do you think brings more experience to table and has the better administrative skills?
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 44%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 44%
Undecided or tie: 12%

Q: Who did you find more authentic and likeable?
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 51%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 41%
Undecided or tie: 8%

September 30, 1972: New polls are out! Released by Gallup

The tide is turning! Nelson Rockefeller's good debate performance gives him a boost in the polls. He's now leading the national polls and also ahead in the state electoral count. President Lyndon B. Johnson's approval rating has remained stable in the low to mid-50s during the entire year.

President Johnson job approval
Approve: 54%
Disapprove: 40%

General election match-ups
Nelson Rockefeller: 47%
Robert F. Kennedy: 45%

Nelson Rockefeller: 46%
Robert F. Kennedy: 44%
Lester Maddox: 5%

Polls by states

Alabama
Lester Maddox: 37%
Robert F. Kennedy: 30%
Nelson Rockefeller: 28%

Alaska
Nelson Rockefeller: 51%
Robert F. Kennedy: 39%
Lester Maddox: 1%

Arkansas
Robert F. Kennedy: 35%
Nelson Rockefeller: 33%
Lester Maddox: 18%

California
Nelson Rockefeller: 45%
Robert F. Kennedy: 43%

Delaware
Nelson Rockefeller: 44%
Lester Maddox: 3%

Florida
Robert F. Kennedy: 37%
Lester Maddox: 9%

Georgia
Robert F. Kennedy: 34%
Lester Maddox: 30%
Nelson Rockefeller: 30%

Illinois
Robert F. Kennedy: 42%

Iowa
Nelson Rockefeller: 48%
Lester Maddox: 2%

Kentucky
Nelson Rockefeller: 41%

Maryland
Lester Maddox: 8%

Michigan
Lester Maddox: <1%

Missouri
Robert F. Kennedy: 41%

Nevada
Nelson Rockefeller: 49%

New Jersey

New York

North Carolina
Lester Maddox: 10%

Oklahoma
Lester Maddox: 4%

Ohio
Robert F. Kennedy: 40%

Pennsylvania

Tennessee
Nelson Rockefeller: 36%
Lester Maddox: 19%

Texas
Nelson Rockefeller: 39%
Lester Maddox: 7%

Virginia
Robert F. Kennedy: 38%

Washington state
Robert F. Kennedy: 49%
Nelson Rockefeller: 43%

Wisconsin

The current polling map by state (in states that weren't polled this time, the previous numbers or partisan leaning are used):

(✓) Nelson Rockefeller: 298 electoral votes
Robert F. Kennedy: 203 electoral votes
Lester Maddox: 34 electoral votes
Tied: 3 electoral votes

Light blue/red = lead within 5%
Standard blue/red = lead between 5% and 10%
Dark blue/red = Double digit lead

1972 congressional elections – generic ballot

For which candidate would you vote in the congressional elections?

Republican: 46%
Democrat: 45%

October 1, 1972: Bobby Kennedy promises amnesty for all Vietnam draft dodgers

How to deal with thousands of draft dodgers of the Vietnam era? This was a question that came up as an issue in recent months. Many of them fled to Canada or Europe and couldn’t come back to the United States due to potential prosecution. Several public voices demanded amnesty or some form of clemency. Senator George McGovern (D-SD) was at the forefront of such efforts, but President Johnson, who has the sole power to grant pardons or amnesty for federal crimes, has shown little interest in the subject so far. Vice President Kennedy meanwhile had long been in favor of some clemency, but avoided the subject to avoid a controversy with his boss. However, sources now claim, LBJ was not against RFK publically demanding so. During an October 1 Michigan rally, Kennedy announced his support for an unconditional amnesty for Vietnam-era draft-dodgers. “I stand before you as a representative of an administration that ended the military draft. The next step is that we allow Americans back into the country, who avoided being drafted under an unfair system at that time”, the vice president said. “It is time we put Vietnam to rest once and give these young men the chance to come out of the shadows and live the American dream”, RFK added. He also said he would issue an unconditional amnesty shortly after the swearing-in.

Nelson Rockefeller immediately responded by rejecting an unconditional amnesty. During a joint appearance with Ronald Reagan in California, he said: “I oppose amnesty as proposed by Mr. Kennedy. While I don’t want to return to a draft, it was unlawful at the time to desert from military service. Nevertheless, I recognize that this issue needs to be addressed appropriately. If elected president, I will develop a detailed plan that allows draft-dodgers to come back and apply for a pardon under certain conditions. We ought to grant a second chance, but not for free.”

Third-party candidate Lester Maddox tried to use this opportunity to come back into the public spotlight after not being invited to debate, vigorously rejected any clemency and accused RFK of “immorality and lawlessness” and spoke of a “giveaway for traitors”. He rejects any form of clemency and cites draft dodgers as one reason “why morality has been under siege in America.”
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #101 on: February 01, 2018, 01:41:34 PM »

The first half of October

Governor Nelson Rockefeller on the campaign trail in New York City; October 7, 1972

On October 4, 1972, the debate over healthcare resumed when Senator Ted Kennedy (D-MA) once more tried to force his universal healthcare bill through the senate committee. However, his efforts were not successful and even President Johnson now showed little hope to pass anything of significance during the remaining congressional session. However, he frequently spoke about the measure and said Bobby Kennedy would get it done as president. RFK, although he frequently mentioned healthcare for all and expressed his staunch support for the bill, tried to gain some ground back after his modestly successful debate performance. During the first half of October, the Rockefeller/Ford camp mainly set the topics of the campaign: The New York governor repeatedly stressed a tougher law and order policy and called for more restrictive anti-drug laws. The issue was also one were all Republicans agreed as Rockefeller received strong support from conservatives for his comments. Generally, it seemed that the conservative wing of the party finally assembled behind Rocky. Ronald Reagan now toured the whole country for the ticket as well as down-ballot Republican candidates (both liberal and conservative contenders). The Gipper also appeared in a handful of television ads and political talk shows. In addition, the Republicans tried to attack Bobby Kennedy on his spending proposals. Vice presidential nominee Gerald Ford, already preparing for his debate with Jimmy Carter, warned of "out of control spending that would cause inflation and bankrupt our treasury."

October 15, 1972

★★★ THE VICE PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE ★★★

★★★ Jimmy Carter vs. Gerald Ford ★★★

Highlights of the debate

BARBARA WALTERS: Good evening, Ladies and Gentlemen. It is my pleasure to welcome you to the first vice presidential debate in American history in this 1972 presidential election; live from San Francisco. My name is Barbara Walters of ABC News, and I’m your moderator tonight. Now, let us welcome the two major candidates for the second highest office in the nation: Please welcome Governor Jimmy Carter of Georgia, the Democratic candidate for vice president, who is running alongside the incumbent vice president, Robert F. Kennedy. [Applause] And let us also welcome Representative and House Minority Leader Gerald R. Ford of Michigan, the Republican candidate for vice president, who is running on a ticket together with New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller. [Applause]. Welcome to both of you once again here from San Francisco, California.

Now, let us begin. My first question, which goes to both of you, is what the American people can expect of you. In other words: What would be your role as vice president? Congressman Ford, we start with you.

REPRESENTATIVE FORD: Thank you Barbara and the League of women voters for hosting us tonight. You asked what kind of a vice president I would be? I would continue the tradition of post-World War II vice presidents, especially with Richard Nixon, that were actively involved in the administration’s policy, advise the president and his cabinet and take over certain responsibilities that the president asks for. Governor Rockefeller already offered me to play a role in dealing with the congress, and I believe that with over two decades of experience in the House I can be helpful to implement his agenda. In addition, Governor Rockefeller offered me to be involved in foreign affairs and travel the world on his behalf and represent this great nation of ours. That would describe my role as vice president.

GOVERNOR CARTER: Thank you very much for this important question. Probably the most important question in this debate. Now, I would have a great role model in the vice presidency, should I be entrusted with this high office. And that is Robert Kennedy himself. I believe that he has filled this role with passionate convictions and great honor over the last four years. Similar to President Johnson gave him, Robert Kennedy would give me certain responsibilities to assist him in governing and coming up with own projects and ideas. He asked me to chair a commission to reform the government apparatus as I have done as governor of the great state of Georgia. I would also travel and talk to world leaders on President Kennedy’s behalf. It would be a great honor for me.

BARBARA WALTERS: Thank you. I just want to follow-up on this for moment: Governor Carter, you already mentioned that Robert Kennedy encouraged you to come up with own initiatives as vice president. What would be such a project you like to focus on as vice president?

GOVERNOR CARTER: As I already mentioned, I would like to focus to make government more efficient as I have done in Georgia. That would also include negotiations with states over the management of certain programs like Medicaid and federal aid for education. As a state governor, I think that I have to knowledge to be involved in this particular subject and advise the president.

BARBARA WALTERS: Congressman Ford, same question to you.

REPRESENTATIVE FORD: Well, there are several challenges we face, and therefore I find it difficult to single out one particular issue. Together with Nelson Rockefeller, I intend to focus on three big headlines, that are our campaigns motto: Peace, freedom and prosperity. I’m sure we will talk about each one more in detail during this debate, as did the two presidential nominees on September 25.

[…]

BARBARA WALTERS: Alright. The next question is about you and your running mates. On which issues or character aspects do you differ with your nominee? We start with Congressman Ford. Go ahead.

REPRESENTATIVE FORD: Well, I don’t think that there are any major differences between Governor Rockefeller and myself. I would not have accepted his offer in case of larger disagreements on policy or a personal dislike. And I think he wouldn’t either. Does that mean we have a hundred percent the same views and approaches to reach certain goals? No. Of course not. But I think we can discuss any differences with openness and candor and find a good and pragmatic solution. Nevertheless, the president makes the final decisions in any administration.

GOVERNOR CARTER: I actually agree with the general points Congressman Ford has made. I would like to add that Robert Kennedy and I have very different personal backgrounds. He comes from a Massachusetts family with influence and has over a decade of experience in the federal government. I’m a Southerner and grew up and worked on a peanut farm and served as governor of the great state of Georgia for almost two years. But that only reflects how diverse America is. And Robert Kennedy and Lyndon Johnson over the past four years prove that such a constellation can work very well.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: February 01, 2018, 02:08:42 PM »

BARBARA WALTERS: Thank you both. Governor Carter, I want to come to the issue of civil rights. While you ran for governor in 1970, you adopted moderate segregationist views and ran on such a platform. But when you became governor, you declared that the times of racial segregation and discrimination are once and for all over. Some voters actually felt betrayed by your move and accused you of flip-flopping or a basic lack of convictions. What is your response to that, and what are your views on civil rights? And can voters this fall expect that a Kennedy/Carter Administration will not change positions after getting in?

GOVERNOR CARTER: I have specified my views and tone after the 1970 election and expressed my views at both my gubernatorial inaugural address, as well as my speech at the Democratic National Convention. I can assure you that a Kennedy/Carter Administration will be a strong and passionate advocate of civil rights, justice and equality. And you can be sure that I will do everything I can to advance those who need assistance by the federal government in exercising their basic rights that are granted in both the U.S. constitution as well as the civil rights legislation enacted under the Johnson Administration.

BARBARA WALTERS: Your response, congressman?

REPRESENTATIVE FORD: Well, Barbara, you name it. I think it is highly questionable that Governor Carter ran on a different rhetoric than he later governed. Probably he felt he couldn’t win this election by being open from the beginning on. Let me be clear, I don’t question Governor Carter’s commitment to civil rights, but the question about his statements prior and after the Georgia election is something my opponent has to explain to the voters. With that being said, I’d like to add that I have been in favor of civil rights over my entire public career and as member of the House I voted in favor of all major legislation on this subject. I would also like to point out that Nelson Rockefeller has long been a champion for civil rights, enacting legislation in New York and donating for civil rights leaders. A Rockefeller/Ford Administration will stand up for civil liberty and equal rights; for minorities and women alike.

BARBARA WALTERS: Just to follow-up, on that, governor: Does that mean you would not run the same campaign again?

GOVERNOR CARTER: There is always something you can do different in the past. We ought to learn from it and do better in the future. That’s my general view.

BARBARA WALTERS: You want to comment on that, Congressman Ford?

REPRESENTATIVE FORD: No, I don’t have a comment. Thank you.

[…]

BARBARA WALTERS: As we are nearing the end, I want you to get into foreign policy briefly. Congressman Ford, the issue of Vietnam and how deal with a potential violation of the Paris agreement has been discussed in the last presidential debate and the campaign trail. So, if North Vietnam was to launch a new offensive on the south, how would you advise Nelson Rockefeller if you two get elected?

REPRESENTATIVE FORD: Here I can just repeat what Governor Rockefeller already made clear: We do not intend to get involved into another military confrontation and we are willing to keep up the Paris Peace Accords. If the communists chose to challenge us, we will respond with diplomatic pressure and military action. What exactly I would recommend depends on the circumstances, but I would certainly not want America to be humiliated again.

BARBARA WALTERS: The same question to you, Governor Carter. How would advise Robert Kennedy in such a situation?

GOVERNOR CARTER: I fully agree with Robert Kennedy that we should not get into another ground war. Of course, we will stand by our ally South Vietnam, not just militarily, to uphold the 1971 Peace Accords. Everything else will depend on the situation.

BARABRA WALTERS: But you would favor a limited military operation?

GOVERNOR CARTER: That, as a I said, depends on the situation. Of course we need some military action should our personnel be directly threatened.

[…]

BARBARA WALTERS: Now it is time for the closing statement. Congressman Ford goes first, then Governor Carter.

REPRESENTATIVE FORD: My fellow Americans: I am not standing here today as Republican vice presidential nominee for my personal benefit, nor does Governor Rockefeller in this campaign. We are reaching out to each and everyone of you because we, with our skills and eperience, are guided by the belief and the compassion that we can serve the American people in an administration of honesty and pragmatism to promote growth, progress, liberty and world peace. These core principals are the engine of our campaign and I hope we convinced you that this is the right choice for America. So that you will entrust as with America's leadership on November the seventh. Thank you, good night and god bless all of you.

GOVERNOR CARTER: My fellow Americans: Tonight I came before you as a candidate for the American vice presidency. I grew up and worked on peanut farm. But I have been fortunate enough to serve as governor of the state Georgia and now been asked by Robert Kennedy to be his vice presidential candidate. This is a great honor. The reason I am here is because I want all Americans to strive for their hopes and dreamers, no matter of gender, race or color. In a world of peace, stability and economic prosperity. This is the America Robert Francis Kennedy and I want to work for every single day if we are entrusted with the leadership of our great country. Thank you for listening, good night and may god bless all of you.

BARBARA WALTERS: That was our debate of the two major candidates for vice president. I hope you enjoyed our program. Good night.

October 16, 1972

Post-debate polls: Gerald Ford mainly seen as winner

Ad-hoc polls released on October 16, 1972, showed a second Republican win after the presidential debate and Nelson Rockefeller's subsequently rising numbers: Most viewers felt that Gerald Ford won the contest on air. Similar to the presidential debate, Democrat Jimmy Carter seemed a little more sympathic as person, while Gerald Ford made a good impression with his knowledge and political skills.

Representative Gerald Ford: 51%
Governor Jimmy Carter: 34%
Undecided or tie: 15%

Q: Who you think has the better qualifications to be vice president or (if necessary) to assume the presidency?
Representative Gerald Ford: 57%
Governor Jimmy Carter: 30%
Undecided or tie: 13%

Q: Who did you find more likeable as a person?
Governor Jimmy Carter: 44%
Representative Gerald Ford: 39%
Undecided or tie: 17%
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: February 03, 2018, 06:19:56 AM »

October 17, 1972: New polls are out! Released by Gallup

Nelson Rockefeller remains in the lead, as the first polls after the vice presidential debate were released. It looks like the Republican ticket gained significant ground since their nominating convention. Meanwhile, swing state polls remain extremely close: California is tied again after Rocky took a small lead the last time. On the other hand, he has polled slightly ahead in New York and, for the first time, in Pennsylvania. Wisconsin is back in the Kennedy column, while Illinois is tied in this poll. Rockefeller has also taken the lead in Delaware and Arkansas. The latter is close race between him and Kennedy, since Maddox is taking about a fifth of the vote here. Although the state is usually leaning Democratic, Rocky benefits from his brother Winthrop, who is the sitting governor of the state and actively engaged for his brother.

Polls by states

Arizona
Nelson Rockefeller: 52%

Arkansas
Nelson Rockefeller: 35%
Robert F. Kennedy: 32%
Lester Maddox: 17%

California

Connecticut
Robert F. Kennedy: 50%

Delaware

Florida

Georgia
Robert F. Kennedy: 36%
Lester Maddox: 30%
Nelson Rockefeller: 27%

Illinois

Iowa

Kentucky

Maryland
Nelson Rockefeller: 40%

Michigan

Missouri

Montana
Nelson Rockefeller: 54%

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina
Nelson Rockefeller: 42%

Ohio

Pennsylvania

South Carolina
Lester Maddox: 34%
Nelson Rockefeller: 25%

Tennessee
Nelson Rockefeller: 38%
Lester Maddox: 17%

Texas

Vermont
Nelson Rockefeller: 52%

Virginia

Wisconsin
Robert F. Kennedy: 46%

The current polling map by state (in states that weren't polled this time, the previous numbers or partisan leaning are used):

(✓) Nelson Rockefeller: 293 electoral votes
Robert F. Kennedy: 140 electoral votes
Lester Maddox: 26 electoral votes
Tied: 79 electoral votes

Republican: 46%
Democrat: 43%
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #104 on: February 03, 2018, 06:20:59 AM »

The road ahead in mid/late October

Kennedy/Carter campaign tries to regain lost ground

Vice President Kennedy gives an autograph at a rally in Pennsylvania; October 16, 1972

As Nelson Rockefeller consolidated his polling numbers following the vice presidential debate and the lack of interest on the draft dodgers issue, the Kennedy campaign increased the number of ads in key states. The candidate also appeared on local radio shows during his campaign trips and tried to go back into the offensive with new policy proposals: A massive infrastructure package with hundreds of billions of dollars, a national agency to oversee environmental protection and a job program for women. Nelson Rockefeller subsequently accused Kennedy of “lending if not stealing ideas”. At the same time, the Republican candidate said he would run such an environmental agency more effectively than Democrats. He also pointed out that infrastructure was originally his proposal, as the governor demanded infrastructure investments during the Republican primaries already. A New York Times political analyst, reflecting on Rocky’s surge, wrote that the Democratic campaign basically lacked a defining political issue in this campaign, “party because Democrats ran and tried to implement all these policies for years, and because Nelson Rockefeller seemed to offer popular measures as well with a fresh and new approach after twelve years of Democratic presidents.”

Nevertheless, many political observers still expected Kennedy to win a close race in the end and quite three major reasons: First, the fascination from the name Kennedy and his visibility as vice president in the last four years; second the lack of a major foreign and domestic policy crisis and third the solid approval rating of President Lyndon Johnson. Lester Maddox turned out to be less of a risk, according to polls, as he was taking support away from Republicans as well.

Reports over an alleged RFK-Marilyn Monroe affair and the rumored "secret agreement with Rocky"

Comes an alleged affair with Marilyn Monroe back to haunt Bobby Kennedy in the election?

Various magazines, on October 17, started printing stories about an alleged affair between Robert Kennedy and late actress and model Marilyn Monroe a decade earlier. Unnamed sources claimed the then-Attorney General carried on the affair with the actress early in his brother's administration. Late President Kennedy, according to these reports, also had an affair with Monroe prior to his younger brother. The Los Angeles Times picked up the story and wrote on October 19 that sources close to Republican National Committee Robert Finch spread the story (Finch is the lieutenant governor of California and was nominated for the position with the support of both Nelson Rockefeller and Ronald Reagan after Richard Nixon suggested his appointment). Accordingly, the affair ended with Monroe's tragic death in August 1962 at the age of 36.

Although down-ballot Republican candidates as well as George Romney addressed the issue, Nelson Rockefeller himself declined to comment. As did his running mate Gerald Ford. On October 21, 1972, one day before the final television debate between the two major nominees, newspapers wrote that there was a secret agreement between them: Nelson Rockefeller would not comment on the alleged affair with Monroe, while the Kennedy campaign would abstain from bringing up Rockefeller's remarriage with Happy Rockefeller in 1963 (some rumors suggested that Rocky himself had been engaged with various private secretaries). Something similar was already rumored to be a secret accord between Rockefeller and Reagan during the Republican primaries, since the Gipper himself also divorced and later re-married with his wife Nancy.

Nelson Rockefeller and his wife Margaretta Fitler Rockefeller, known as "Happy": Both divorced from their previous spouses in 1962 and got remarried a year later, what hurt the governor politically. According to unofficial sources, Rocky agreed to silence about an alleged relationship between RFK and Marilyn Monroe. In return, Bobby Kennedy would not bring up the remarriage issue again.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2018, 11:05:59 AM by President Johnson »

October 22, 1972

★★★ THE SECOND PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE ★★★

★★★ Robert F. Kennedy vs. Nelson Rockefeller ★★★

Highlights of the debate

HOWARD K. SMITH: Good evening ladies and gentlemen for the second and final presidential debate of the 1972 presidential election. I’m Howard K. Smith of ABC News, your moderator for tonight. We are live from St. Louis, Missouri. This debate is in the format of a townhall, where selected voters directly ask questions to the candidates. As moderator, I shall intervene if necessary or for a follow-up question. Now let us welcome to two major candidates in this election: Welcome Vice President Robert F. Kennedy, the Democratic nominee. [Applause]. And welcome Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller, the Republican nominee. [Applause] Welcome to you both, and let us begin. The first question is from the gentleman over there with the red tie, and it goes to the vice president.

MAN I: Mr. Vice President, thank you for being here tonight. Just recently, there were reports upon a relationship between you and late Marilyn Monroe ten years ago. You said they were not true. I believe you. But I would like to know whether you would publically admit mistakes as president?

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: Thank you. Of course I will admit mistakes. And I will make them, just like everyone else does, especially if you are in such an important position. But we ought to learn from mistakes and do better next time. In the case of this reports that came out recently, I have nothing to apologize for, because I did nothing wrong. I find it sad when certain Republican circles try to spread such false rumors, although I know that Governor Rockefeller has not initiated this.

HOWARD K. SMITH: Same question to you, Governor Rockefeller.

GOVERNOR ROCKEFELLER: Would I admit mistakes? I would absolutely, yes. Because I trust the American people. However, that also depends on the situation itself. Because on certain occasions, it can weaken the American position in the world if the president makes himself vulnerable. Therefore each situation has to be studied in advance.

HOWARD K. SMITH: Do you want to comment on the Monroe reports, governor?

GOVERNOR ROCKEFELLER: No, I have no comment. I also do not approve the publication. The Rockefeller/Ford campaign is about improving people’s lives and securing world peace, not about personal issues. I think Vice President Kennedy is an honorable man.

HOWARD K. SMITH: The next question is for the governor and from that lady over there.

WOMAN I: Governor Rockefeller, you spoke about improving life conditions for women and ending discrimination against women. I want to thank you for being passionate about this issue, but would like to know what specific policies you propose to reach this goal?

GOVERNOR ROCKEFELLER: Good question! First, let me say that a president or the federal government can implement certain policies, but that all discrimination won’t go away without an effort by all citizens and local authorities. What I want to do as president is the enactment of an improved equal pay law and legislation to protect women from violence. I am also in favor an equal rights amendment to the constitution. In addition, the federal government’s executive branch should live by example. As president, I will appoint more women to important positions and would also consider a woman for the Supreme Court if given the opportunity to nominate a person for our highest court. My wife Happy is also passionate about that issue and I’m sure she will come up with additional proposals that as president I will support.

HOWARD K. SMITH: Vice President Kennedy, how do you answer that question?

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: Throughout my whole career I have been devoted to equal rights for everyone, women, blacks and other minorities. I think that the Kennedy/Johnson years have an unprecedented record on equal rights and I want to continue this struggle. I have to say that I endorse all things Governor Rockefeller just outlined as well. Additionally, I propose a jobs training program for women, what would give a lot of women more financial safety and benefit our economy through their talent. For this reason, it also important that we expand federal aid to education, that was first passed by President Johnson in 1965.

HOWARD K. SMITH: The next question is from the gentleman over there. It is for Vice President Kennedy.

MAN II: Vice President Kennedy, my family are German immigrants. We still have relatives in East Germany, but visiting them is still very difficult. Would you, as president, be willing to normalize relations with East Germany and other satellite states of the USSR? And why hasn’t that been subject to the talks between the Johnson Administration and Moscow?

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: Well, I would like to have a normal relationship with any country in the world. However, as you understand for sure, that is only possible under certain conditions. The door to the communist world has been opened in direct consultations in late 1968 with President Johnson’s state visit in Moscow. The West German government under Chancellor Brandt has also taken action to normalize relations. That doesn’t come overnight and I fully understand that it is hard if family relations fall victim to foreign policy affairs.

MAN II: So, you can’t say what you will do, Sir?

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: Well, I will seek to continue the talks with the USSR and other countries behind the iron curtain. But at the same time we have to make sure that countries who want normal relations with us behave a certain way. For example, our citizens must be protected from arbitrarily imprisonment when they enter their territory. I wish I could give you a better answer with your family, but hope you understand that.

MAN II: I do, thank you.

HOWARD K. SMITH: Governor Rockefeller?

GOVERNOR ROCKEFELLER: What the vice president said that certain conditions must be fulfilled for other nations to normalize relations is correct. Nevertheless, we must be outspoken against a country that locks its citizens up behind a wall because their leaders are afraid to lose their power. We ought not to normalize this kind of tyranny.

[…]

HOWARD K. SMITH: Our last question is from the woman right there with the yellow shirt. Go ahead, madam.

WOMAN II: My question, to each of you, is plain and simple: If elected president, what would be your first executive action?

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: My very first action would an executive order that future government jobs can only be assigned to firms who pay the minimum wage of 2.50 dollars per hour. Right afterwards, I will introduce a new version of the Fair Labor Standards Act to increase the minimum wage to this amount.  

GOVERNOR ROCKEFELLER: If given the honor to serve as 37th president, I will issue an executive order on January 20, 1973 donating my entire presidential salary to sick children. I have enough money, I won’t take a salary and won’t take a pension.

HOWARD K. SMITH: Thank you both very much for your appearance here today and thanks to our viewers. Good night, and please vote on November the seventh.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: February 06, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »

October 23, 1972

Post-debate polls: Bobby Kennedy ahead

The second presidential debate was a success for Bobby Kennedy, according to the most recent poll. After viewers saw Nelson Rockefeller as clear winner of the first on air contest and Gerald Ford performed well in the vice presidential debate, the Kennedy camp has every reason to be pleased with polling results of this townhall discussion.

Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 54%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 39%
Undecided or tie: 7%

Q: Who you regard as more comptenent to be president after the townhall debate?
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 47%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 44%

Q: Who did you find more likeable as a person?
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 55%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 37%
Undecided or tie: 8%

The closing days of October

With no more debates to be held, the candidates and their prominent supporters were almost 24/7 on the campaign trail. The Rockefeller team heavily turned its focus on California now. Governor Ronald Reagan increased the number of appearances in his homestate, knowing it might be tipping point. On October 24, the Rockefeller campaign made a strategic decision by involving Richard Nixon into the California campaign, appointing him campaign chair (previous chair, former Senator Thomas Kuchel was named his deputy). Nixon previously headed the campaign effort in Florida, but Rocky felt comfortable that the Sunshine state would be in his column (as polls suggest) and that the former vice president’s knowledge and political skills were more needed in his original homestate at the West coast.

Nelson Rockefeller speaking to a crowd in Santa Barbara, California; October 27, 1972

Governor Ronald Reagan gives a speech in Bakersfield, California, on behalf of Nelson Rockefeller and Republican congressional candidates; October 28, 1972

On the Democratic side, Bobby Kennedy focused heavily on New York, a state he absolutely needs, especially if California goes Republican. He also made several campaign stumps in North Carolina, Georgia, Missouri and Texas. In the latter, President Johnson and his political machine were actively engaged to secure the Lone Star State for his vice president. The president also toured North and South Carolina as well as Georgia in joint appearances with vice presidential nominee Jimmy Carter and Alabama Governor Albert Brewer. A dispute came at a Chicago rally, when Mayor and political boss Richard J. Daley refused to campaign with Bobby Kennedy. Both had long disliked each other and even a reported phone call by the president couldn’t change Daley’s mind. Instead, the vice president got help from his former rival and predecessor in the vice presidency: Senator Hubert Humphrey was frequently at RFK’s side, especially in the mid-west, which proved to be a pivotal region as several states were extremely close. Illinois, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan were on top of the Democrats' targeted states. Interesting was that classical bellwether state Ohio seemed not so much contested after polls showed a sizeable Rockefeller lead. On October 28, an unnamed source claimed the Kennedy campaign had given up on Ohio. A spokeswoman of campaign declined to deny the report.

RFK on the campaign trail in Detriot, Michigan; October 29, 1972

President Johnson speaks with the press at a North Carolina rally for Bobby Kennedy; October 30, 1972

On the issues, both sides mainly sticked to their messages and the Monroe story seemingly faded away since Nelson Rockefeller refrained from any personal attacks against his opponent. The only one who wanted to use the story for political gain was Lester Maddox, whose campaign lacked media coverage. Maddox in response repeatedly accused the media of dishonesty and a bias against him. Nevertheless, it seemed as the former Georgia governor would carry Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana with a plurality of the vote. In South Carolina, he was tied with Bobby Kennedy and Georgia seemed to vote Democratic thanks to Jimmy Carter. In addition, Maddox was expected to reach double digits in some other southern states. Although some political observers still expressed concern the Maddox/Mahoney campaign would throw the presidential election in the House of Representatives, a New York Times analyst wrote the chances were, according to his calculations, below 10%, while Bobby Kennedy would have a 50% chance to win 270 electoral votes. He subsequently gave Nelson Rockefeller a 40% chance to garner 270 or more electoral votes on election day.

Lester Maddox, running as the anti-establishment candidate, is still playing dirty on his opponents, especially on Robert Kennedy
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: February 07, 2018, 05:59:02 AM »

October 31, 1972: New polls are out! Released by Gallup

The second last poll release before election day again shows a dead heat between the two major candidates. After falling back in recent weeks, Bobby Kennedy regains some support. The state-by-state surverys remain extremly close and flexible what makes a serious prediction for November 7 very tough. Meanwhile, President Lyndon Johnson seems to finish his White House tenure with robust numbers.

Approve: 56%
Disapprove: 37%

Robert F. Kennedy: 48%

Lester Maddox: 6%

Polls by states

Arkansas
Lester Maddox: 21%

California

Colorado
Nelson Rockefeller: 50%

Delaware

Florida

Georgia
Lester Maddox: 29%
Nelson Rockefeller: 28%

Hawaii
Robert F. Kennedy: 55%

Illinois

Iowa

Kentucky

Maryland
Robert F. Kennedy: 47%

Michigan

Missouri

New Jersey

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

South Carolina
Lester Maddox: 32%
Nelson Rockefeller: 29%

Tennessee
Lester Maddox: 20%

Texas

Virginia
Lester Maddox: 11%

West Virginia

Wisconsin

Robert F. Kennedy: 254 electoral votes
Nelson Rockefeller: 252 electoral votes
Tied: 6 electoral votes

Democrat: 47%
Republican: 44%

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: February 07, 2018, 01:44:05 PM »

I'm predicting a narrow Rockfeller victory, but this is going to be tense. On the one hand an election thrown to congress would be fun, but dealing the Dixiecrats a deathblow would be even more fun- so since AL, LA and MS weren't polled, I'm still hoping that the New South Democrats like Albert Brewer will prevail and give RFK a win in the south Tongue

They will be polled in the final round just before election day. Tongue But polls are polls, we'll see what happens on election night (with legendary Walter Cronkite), which I intend to begin within the next few days.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2018, 06:50:34 AM »

November 1, 1972

BREAKING: RFK briefly hospitalized after apparent collapse after Texas rally

BREAKING NEWS: As members of the Kennedy campaign just officially confirmed, the vice president collapsed right after a campaign rally in Austin, Texas. The collapse occurred backstage after he finished a 45 minute speech, the third on this day on his tour through the Lone Star state. President Lyndon Johnson and Senator Lloyd Bentsen joined the Democratic nominee on his trip. Immediately after, the Secret Service took care of the situation and the vice president was hospitalized for four hours. As insiders said, the collapse was caused by a late consequence of the attempted assassination in June 1968, where then-candidate Kennedy was hit and had to rest for several weeks (afterwards he ended his campaign and became LBJ's running mate). Robert Kennedy was released in the evening hours and left the hospital building through a secret backdoor.

First reports of this afternoon falsely claimed that it was President Johnson who was hospitalized after suffering another heart attack. Obviously the presidential convoy created some confusion at the hospital. That was quickly debunked and a White House spokesman criticized the reporting.

Nelson Rockefeller sends good wishes

Immediately after the news of RFK's collapse broke, Governor Rockefeller expressed his good wishes for his opponent and said, he hoped that the vice president could return quickly to the campaign trail. His running mate Gerald Ford remarked the incident should not be politicalized and urged other Republicans to refrain from negative comments. Bobby Kennedy publically thanked Rocky for his notes and described him as a "decent man".

November 2, 1972: RFK back on stage

As nothing happend: Bobby Kennedy back on stage, here in San Diego, California; November 3, 1972

On November 2, RFK was back on tour in Oklahoma and later California and thanked supporters for their good wishes. However, he didn't address health issues in his speeches after one of his doctors affirmed the public, he would be healthy enough to serve as president under immense stress.

New York Times: "A remarkable fair campaign"

In light of RFK's brief hospitalization, a New York Times editorial described the 1972 election as a remarkable fair campaign, referring to Bobby Kennedy's and Nelson Rockefeller's behavior. "It never became something personal between the two major nominees", the article reads. And finished with the phrase: "Whoever wins this election, America's next president and vice president are going to be two men of great integrity, what will be beneficial for the American cause at home and abroad".

November 5, 1972: FINAL POLLS are out! Released by Gallup

Two days before election day, the last polls were released and still show a close race. The undecided numbers are at an all-time low.

While RFK has regained a small lead in California, New York is again exactly tied. As is Connecticut, for the first time in this campaign. In the South, Lester Maddox' lead has almost been eaten up thanks to Jimmy Carter and Albert Brewer. In Florida, the efforts of Governor Reubin Askew paid off as Rocky's lead dropped. The opposite is true in Arkansas, where the GOP candidate is ahead again. Meanwhile, Michigan and Wisconsin remain very close. In the latter, Nelson Rockefeller regained a small lead, while Bobby Kennedy improved his numbers in Ohio after deciding to resume campaign ads and campaign stops by Hubert Humphrey.

Polls by states

Alabama
Lester Maddox: 36%

Arkansas
Nelson Rockefeller: 36%
Robert F. Kennedy: 33%
Lester Maddox: 22%

California

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida
Lester Maddox: 11%

Georgia
Lester Maddox: 32%

Illinois

Indiana
Nelson Rockefeller: 51%

Iowa

Kentucky
Lester Maddox: 16%

Lousiana
Lester Maddox: 36%
Nelson Rockefeller: 26%

Maryland

Michigan

Mississippi
Lester Maddox: 41%
Nelson Rockefeller: 25%

Missouri

New Jersey

New York

North Carolina

Ohio
Nelson Rockefeller: 50%

Oklahoma

Pennsylvania
Robert F. Kennedy: 49%

South Carolina
Robert F. Kennedy: 36%
Lester Maddox: 34%

Tennessee
Nelson Rockefeller: 38%

Texas

Virginia
Lester Maddox: 13%

Washington state

Wisconsin

Nelson Rockefeller: 238 electoral votes
Robert F. Kennedy: 222 electoral votes
Tied: 52 electoral votes

November 6, 1972: Candidates finish campaigns, spend election day in New York

November 6, 1972: Nelson Rockefeller's last rally in Newark, New Jersey

This Monday, both major candidates finished their long and hard campaigns in New York City. RFK's last campaign stump was in the Bronx with his running mate Jimmy Carter, President Johnson (who later flew back to Texas) and Hubert Humphrey. Nelson Rockefeller's last campaign event was across the Hudson River in Newark, New Jersey with Gerald Ford and George Romney. The last poll has him regaining a small lead in this pivotal state. Kennedy then returned to his election night party at Madison Square Garden. Rocky was just a few blocks away: At the Rockefeller Center, where he would spend election day with his running mate (who briefly returned to Michigan to cast his vote) and the entire Rockefeller family.

★★★ NEXT: ELECTION NIGHT on CBS!! Stay tuned! ★★★
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2018, 06:23:37 AM »

★★★ United States presidential election –
Tuesday, November 7, 1972 ★★★

CBS News Coverage of Election night 1972. With legendary Walter Cronkite.

WALTER CRONKITE: Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen. It is my pleasure to welcome you to our CBS News coverage of the 1972 United States presdiential election. After more than a year of intense campaigning, we are finnally at the decision point. Who will lead America into its bicentennial? Vice President and Democratic nominee Robert F. Kennedy or Governor and Republican nominee Nelson Rockefeller? Will the Democratic Party retain the White House for a fourth consecutive term or will Nelson Rockefeller reclaim the Oval Office for the Republican Party? Will he accomplish what Richard Nixon failed twice? Tonight, we will find out. One thing is clear: The election is expected to be very close and we have a slim chance third-party candidate Lester Maddox will win enough electoral votes in the South to prevent an outright majority of 270 votes.

We begin our program with a short look at the poll closing times in each states:

I also want to show you the blank electoral map for this election. All the gray will be filled with color tonight. States carried by the Democratic ticket of Robert F. Kennedy and Jimmy Carter will be red, states won by the Republican ticket of Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford will be displayed in blue. States won by American Independent Party candidates Lester Maddox and George Mahoney will be shaded in yellow. States whose polls have closed, but are too close or early to call will be painted in green.

Now, we take a short break before the first results will come in. Stay with us.

6 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: Welcome back to our program. It is now six o'clock here in Washington DC and the polls in the first states have closed. These are Kentucky and Indiana. While Kentucky is too early too call and expected to be close, we can already say with confidence that Nelson Rockefeller has won the state of Indiana and its 13 electoral votes. So, Governor Rockefeller picks up the first votes tonight.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 13 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 0 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 0 EV.
Too close/early to call: 9 EV.

7 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: Good evening America, welcome back to CBS News election night coverage. It's been an hour since polls closed in Indiana and Kentucky. And while we projected Nelson Rockefeller would win Indiana, we still can't call Kentucky. Our men and women out there report that Lester Maddox has taken about twenty percent of the votes while Governor Rockefeller is slightly ahead. We'll see if that trend continues. [...] But now: polls closed in Vermont, Virginia, Georgia, South Carolina and Florida. So far, we can only project Nelson Rockefeller the winner in Vermont. This is a typical New England state that likes liberal Republicans. No wonder that Nelson Rockefeller is so much ahead that we already give him the state. Interesting to watch will be Georgia, homestate of Jimmy Carter and Lester Maddox. Our first numbers show the Democratic ticket ahead. This is encouraging news for Team Kennedy! We take a short break here.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 16 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 0 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 0 EV.
Too close/early to call: 58 EV.

7.30 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: It's 7.30 p.m. and we're back with our program. While we still can't call any of the states polls closed in the past 90 minutes, we can add important battlegrounds North Carolina and Ohio to the too early column. Another states polls just closed is West Virginia. We can already declare Bobby Kennedy the winner in this state. He wins his first six electoral votes. That was also the first state we called for President Johnson four years ago, but West Virginia lost one elector following the 1970 census.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 16 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 6 EV.
Too close/early to call: 96 EV.

7.53 p.m. – BREAKING: ROCKEFELLER CAPTURES KENTUCKY!

WALTER CRONKITE: And we have our first extraordinary state call between any poll closings! We join the colleagues from ABC News and call the state of Kentucky for Nelson Rockefeller, who apparantly won by a plurality. The polls were right in Kentucky and we award the nine votes up for grabs to the Rockefeller/Ford camp, that has now won 25 votes in total. Very important victory for the Republican ticket. [...] Now, es we near eight o'clock, a lot major states will close their polls. Stay with us after a short break!

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 25 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 6 EV.
Too close/early to call: 87 EV.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2018, 03:05:15 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2018, 03:09:46 PM by President Johnson »

★★★ CBS News Election Coverage continues. With Walter Cronkite ★★★

8 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: We continue our program of coverage of election night 1972. At eight p.m. we have polls closing in several states, including a handful of battlegrounds, where a large junk of electoral votes are at stake. I’d like to begin in New England, where four projections can already be made: First, the state of New Hampshire. A bastion of liberal and moderate Republicans: Nelson Rockefeller carries the state with over 55% of the vote. The same in Maine, where the governor is also that much ahead, that we can award these electoral votes to him. Massachusetts is different: Vice President Kennedy wins his original homestate by a fair margin. These 14 electoral votes go into the Kennedy/Carter column. We also have a projection for Rhode Island: The Democratic ticket is winning easily. Nevertheless, we still don’t have a winner in Connecticut. Nelson Rockefeller is just behind by a single point with about seventy percent in. That turns out to be closer than expected. It would be an upset if Rocky manages to win here.

Polls also closed in New Jersey, Illinois, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Maryland, Delaware and Missouri. Neither of them can be called yet. But I hear that Kennedy is ahead in New Jersey, what would be an important win for the Democratic candidate.

We have a winner in Mississippi, though, and it is Lester Maddox! He has taken the first southern state! Maddox is also leading with about 40% of the vote in Alabama, but this state is still too early to call. Meanwhile, Kansas seems to be decided: Nelson Rockefeller, not surprising, has taken the state and adds seven more electoral votes to his tally.

Our map at the moment has Nelson Rockefeller ahead with 40 electoral votes. Bobby Kennedy is at 27 and Lester Maddox at seven.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 40 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 24 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 7 EV.
Too close/early to call: 264 EV.

8.30 p.m.

BREAKING: CBS PROJECTS THAT KENNEDY WINS GEORGIA!

WALTER CRONKITE: Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen. I have a very important call to make: Jimmy Carter has delivered! The governor and former peanut farmer delivers his homestate of Georgia and its twelve electoral votes for Bobby Kennedy. Apparently the Democratic ticket is ahead by seven points and Lester Maddox has no chance to overcome this lead. That means, Bobby Kennedy has reason to hope for more electoral votes from the South. Votes, that he badly needs. With Georgia being called in his favor, he has won a state President Lyndon Johnson failed to carry twice. Nelson Rockefeller is a close third with just over 25% of the vote in Georgia. That is disappointing, but doesn’t hurt his overall chances to be elected president tonight. It is, though, a very important victory for Robert Kennedy. However, I also have a setback for the Democrats in case they hoped for Alabama: We can now confirm that Lester Maddox is winning his second state by a fair margin. This is also a setback for the liberal Democratic governor Albert Brewer, who fought hard for Kennedy over the course of this campaign, but turned down the vice presidency. Lester Maddox' win shows a potential Brewer candidacy for the senate in two years won’t be a cakewalk for the rising star. On the other hand, George Wallace will closely watch tonight, since he is supposed to seek the governorship again in 1974.

Now it’s half past eight and the polls just closed in Arkansas. We don’t have a winner here, but Nelson Rockefeller runs ahead in the state, where is brother Winthrop is the governor.

Our map now stands 40-39-16 in terms of electoral college votes in Rockefeller's favor. Still a lot climb for the 270 needed.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 40 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 39 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 16 EV.
Too close/early to call: 249 EV.

8.46 p.m. – BREAKING: FLORIDA WON BY NELSON ROCKEFELLER!

WALTER CRONKITE: And we interrupt the break with a major projection. Not too surprising, Nelson Rockefeller emerges victorious in Florida, just as polls predicted. The New York governor wins in the Sunshine state with about 45% of the vote and captures 17 important electoral votes. He’s now at 57 electoral votes. We’ll be back soon with more polls closing. Stay tuned!

9 p.m.

CBS: Kennedy wins Maryland; Rockefeller strong in Connecticut and New Jersey, overperforms with blacks

WALTER CRONKITE: Nine o’clock, and we have several more polls closed. First, I’d like to name states we can already call: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona Nebraska and both Dakotas voted for Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford. That adds a modest number of electoral votes to the Republican column, which is now at 85. On the Democratic side, we project the Kennedy/Carter won in Minnesota, home of Hubert Humphrey. And Lester Maddox won a third state: Louisiana. Ten more votes for the former Georgia governor. In Wisconsin, it is too early for a serious projection, as the vote is extremely close. The same in New York, where 41 electoral votes are being awarded. Along with California, this will be the most watched state tonight. My colleagues out there confirmed, New York is very, very close at the moment, with about twelve percent in. […] And, as I just heard, we received word that Robert Kennedy has won the state of Maryland. Briefly I want to focus on Connecticut again and provide an update: We still don’t have a winner here, but I just received word that Governor Rockefeller has pulled ahead by roughly a thousand votes. Wow!

And another update: The tide in New Jersey has reportedly turned! Nelson Rockefeller has now overtaken Robert Kennedy's lead and is favored to carry the state. We received word that the governor is overperforming in urban areas and with African Americans. The same is true in Washington DC, where Governor Rockefeller has won almost 20% of the vote due to stronger support from blacks.

Let’s take a look at the map. Nelson Rockefeller ahead, but it's still very early. This is going to be a long night!

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 85 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 59 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 26 EV.
Too close/early to call: 278 EV.

9.17 p.m. – BREAKING: ROCKEFELLER TAKES VIRGINIA AND NEW MEXICO, CRACKS 100 ELECTORAL VOTES

WALTER CRONKITE: And… I just received word about two more less surprising calls: Virginia and New Mexico go to the Rockefeller/Ford column. Governor Rockefeller has exceeded 100 electoral votes now. But still no gamechanger has been called. We return after a short break for more coverage. Stay with us!

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 101 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 26 EV.
Too close/early to call: 262 EV.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: February 15, 2018, 01:30:50 PM »

★★★ CBS News Election Coverage continues. With Walter Cronkite ★★★

9.38 p.m. – BREAKING: OHIO CALLED FOR ROCKEFELLER!

WALTER CRONKITE: And we come back for a very important call. One and a half hours after polls closed in Ohio, we can present a winner: As the polls suggested, Nelson Rockefeller has won the state by a fair margin. This is a very important win for the New York governor. As our reporters out there said, Governor Rockefeller is expected to end up with about 51% or 52% of the votes, compared to approximately 45% for Vice President Kennedy. Truly a setback for RFK, who decided to resume campaigning after the last polls showed he may close the gap. Remember that four years ago, Ohio was called much later and became the state that put President Johnson over the top. As things now stand, I see Nelson Rockefeller slightly favored, but things could change rapidly if Texas, Pennsylvania and either New York or California end up voting for Kennedy/Carter.

Ah, and… I just hear on one line here, that Nelson Rockefeller is also projected to take the state of Oklahoma. Another eight votes go into his column. Now the Republican ticket is way ahead, but still far away from the 270 electoral votes needed. Here’s the map:

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 134 EV.
Too close/early to call: 229 EV.

10 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: Welcome back to CBS coverage of the 1972 presidential election. I’m your moderator, Walter Cronkite. It is ten p.m. and we have poll closings in Iowa, Montana, Idaho, Nevada and Utah. And we can call all of them except for Iowa and Nevada for Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford. That is no surprise at all and adds a modest number of electoral votes to the Republican column. Meanwhile, I have a more important call for Governor Rockefeller: He has won Missouri. Another state he flipped from President Lyndon Johnson in 1968. And one more state is now called: Connecticut. Robert Kennedy has narrowly hang on here after retaking the lead. With 99% of the precincts in, the vice president pulled it off with about 50% to 48%. That provides some relief for the Kennedy campaign. Our current map has Rockefeller way ahead with 159 to 67:

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 159 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 67 EV.
Too close/early to call: 220 EV.

10.24 p.m. – BREAKING: KENNEDY HANGS ON TEXAS, ROCKEFELLER WINS NEW JERSEY, MADDOX SOUTH CAROLINA

WALTER CRONKITE: We have interrupt the break for three important calls: Bobby Kennedy has managed to win the state of Texas! A pivotal victory for him in President Johnson’s homestate. The president campaigned hard for his second-in-command here in recent weeks. Nevertheless, the result is closer than expected since polls showed him ahead by at least five points. We project that Kennedy has won 46% of the vote compared to Rockefeller’s 44%. About nine percent are going to Maddox in the Lone-Star-State. Nevertheless, a win is a win. 26 electoral votes for RFK. The Rockefeller/Ford campaign never counted on them. What they counted on is New Jersey. I guess they’re now paying big attention to the state, where the Republican standard-bearer finished his campaign yesterday and is now reportedly the winner. 17 crucial votes for Mr. Rockefeller. News also broke on South Carolina, where Lester Maddox has won a narrow three-way contest. This brings Maddox’ tally up to 34 electoral votes. Likely that is going to be his total number in the end, and we have to see whether that prevents the other two from garnering 270 electoral votes. The loss of South Carolina is not good for Vice President Kennedy, although he has still more than one reasonable path to victory. We go to a quick commercial and return in a moment.

[…]

WALTER CRONKITE: It’s 10.35 p.m. and I have two additional calls of less significance to make: That concerns the states of Delaware and Nevada, where Nelson Rockefeller has been declared the winner. Delaware is somewhat surprising since neighboring Maryland voted for Robert Kennedy and the senate race seems to favor the young Democrat Joseph Biden here. Looking at the map, there is a lot of blue, but that could change once big battlegrounds are called. I expect this to happen within the next one or two hours. But it is possible that a winner won’t be produced until California is decided.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 181 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 93 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 34 EV.
Too close/early to call: 163 EV.

11 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: Eleven o’clock, ladies and gentlemen! And while polls are now closing at the entire west coast, we are far away from the election of a new president. Washington state, Oregon and California are all too early or too close call. But I have a big projection to make, and that is Pennsylvania. We have now enough reliable numbers to give the state to Vice President Kennedy. A large prize with 27 electoral votes. According to our projections, the vice president will carry the states by a margin of roughly three percent or about 100,000 votes. Nevertheless, I also have a call for Republicans: We now put Arkansas to Nelson Rockefeller’s column. He won the state in which his brother Winthrop holds the governor’s chair with about 39% of the vote against Bobby Kennedy and a strong third place for Governor Maddox.

Checking the map, Nelson Rockefeller is leading with 187 to 120 electoral votes. That is the exact same number Richard Nixon won in 1968. More to come. Very likely at least.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 187 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 120 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 34 EV.
Too close/early to call: 190 EV.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: February 17, 2018, 05:57:27 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2018, 06:01:01 AM by President Johnson »

11.20 p.m. – BREAKING: NORTH CAROLINA AND TENNESSEE FOR KENNEDY!

WALTER CRONKITE: After securing Pennsylvania and its 27 electoral votes, Bobby Kennedy continues to close the gap: Five minutes ago, North Carolina was called for the vice president. And just this moment, we got confirmed, that he won neighboring Tennessee as well. Both are important victories that gives the Democrats reason to hope. Tennessee is another state that voted for Richard Nixon in 1968. However, Nelson Rockefeller has flipped more states from 1968 than Bobby Kennedy so far.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 187 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 143 EV.
Too close/early to call: 167 EV.

11.20 p.m. – BREAKING: ROCKEFELLER CARRIES ILLINOIS!

WALTER CRONKITE: Is this a turning point for tonight? It is now official that Nelson Rockefeller has managed to win the state of Illinois. This is a huge, huge win for the Republican candidate. It is also the first time that this swing state goes to a GOP nominee since 1956. With almost 94% counted, Governor Rockefeller stands at 49% of the vote, while Vice President Kennedy received 47% so far. A margin, RFK can hardly overcome with the remaining votes to be counted. Especially because they came from more Republican leaning districts. Therefore, we call Illinois for the Rockefeller/Ford camp.

That is our map. Nelson Rockefeller has now crossed the 200 electoral votes mark.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 213 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 143 EV.
Too close/early to call: 141 EV.

11.40 p.m. – BREAKING: KENNEDY TAKES MICHIGAN; IOWA CALLED FOR ROCKEFELLER

WALTER CRONKITE: Welcome back to our election night coverage. I have two very important projections: The first is on the state of Michigan. Gerald Ford failed to accomplish what Jimmy Carter has done: He couldn’t deliver his homestate, as Robert Kennedy outperformed the Republican ticket by a slim margin. With almost all votes counted, the vice president can be awarded with 21 additional electoral votes. That means, the efforts of vice presidential nominee Gerald Ford as well as former governor George Romney did not pay off, despite Rockefeller doing very well with African Americans. After the loss of Illinois, this victory keeps hope alive for Kennedy supporters, that their standard-bearer has still a decent shot at winning and become the nation's 37th president. However, another state in the Midwest can also be called: Iowa votes for Nelson Rockefeller by a fair margin. The governor managed to flip another 1968 Johnson state despite Hubert Humphrey’s presence in the last weeks. Is that sign that points to a Rockefeller victory tonight? I think, at this point, we have to confess that Nelson Rockefeller is more likely to be elected president than Bobby Kennedy. But the vice president could still win with New York, California, Washington, Hawaii and Wisconsin. And potentially Oregon as well. But it's hard to deny that Governor Rockefeller is better positioned to garner 270 electoral votes.

Looking at our map, Governor Rockefeller is ahead by almost 60 votes. He needs additional 49 to get elected. California or New York in addition to Alaska and Oregon would put him over the top. If he wins both New York and California, he’s through and it won’t be even close. Bobby Kennedy must win both in order to get over the 270 finish line, in addition to Washington state and Wisconsin. And the latter is far from certain to vote for Kennedy, since the last polls showed a dead heat. Right now, I say the odds are 50% Rockefeller, 25% electoral college deadlock and 25% Kennedy. We’re back in a moment, stay with us.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 221 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 164 EV.
Too close/early to call: 112 EV.

12 a.m.; November 8, 1972

WALTER CRONKITE: We’re at midnight now here in Washington and are still waiting for the election of a new president. At this hour, polls of the last two states closed. Hawaii and Alaska. Both can already be called without a surprise. Hawaii goes to Bobby Kennedy and Alaska to Nelson Rockefeller. I would also give you a brief update on congressional races: It seems as the Democrats maintain control over both legislative chambers. Notable senators such as Republican John Tower of Texas and Tennessee's Howard Baker, another Republican, have been reelected to their posts.

12.07 a.m. – BREAKING: ROCKEFELLER DECLARED WINNER IN NEW YORK, BARRING RFK FROM REACHING 270 ELECTORAL VOTES!

WALTER CRONKITE: Ladies and Gentlemen, we interrupt the current report on down-ballot races as I have received very important news from the state of New York. According to various sources, with 96% of the votes in, Nelson Rockefeller has won his homestate by a close margin of less than a half percentage point. That means, that Robert Kennedy has no path left to reach 270 electoral votes. Even if the wins all the rest; meaning the states at west coast. But even that seems doubtful since Governor Rockefeller is favored to win in Oregon and possibly California and Wisconsin. As he now stands at 265 electoral votes, he needs just another state to cross the finish line. And it is very likely that he wins at least Oregon. I guess the celebration at the Rockefeller Center will now begin.

[…]

Before we go into the break, we have now a winner in Wisconsin: Bobby Kennedy hangs on and earns eleven electoral votes. Nevertheless, he can’t hit 270 anymore since New York is included in the Rockefeller/Ford tally. Take a look at the map:

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 265 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 179 EV.
Too close/early to call: 60 EV.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: February 18, 2018, 06:14:29 AM »

12.33 a.m. – BREAKING: NEW YORK TAKEN BACK FROM ROCKEFELLER!

As New York is taken back to undecided, Kennedy wins Washington State, Rockefeller takes Oregon: Election comes down to New York and/or California! Electoral College deadlock now impossible!

WALTER CRONKITE: Welcome back to election night coverage. I’m your moderator, Walter Cronkite. I have to say that I have never seen an election like this. News just broke that New York has to be taken back from Nelson Rockefeller! As later returns came in, the election is again too close to call in the Empire State, where both candidates have their official residence. I assume this is a huge shocker for the Rockefeller camp while the Kennedy people, already fallen into a state of mourning, have reason to be hopeful again. So, the call for New York was premature and we, as well as other stations, have to apologize for the call. Now, with that being said, this does not mean Robert Kennedy carried the state. We just have to take it back to the undecided tally, as it is so extremely close. Therefore, Nelson Rockefeller has not lost the state yet, he has just not won it. Just to demonstrate how close New York is, take a look at the vote count:

NEW YORK (98% reported)
Nelson A. Rockefeller (R): 3,438,409 (48.99%)
Robert F. Kennedy (D): 3,430,303 (48.96%)
Lester Maddox (A): 84,223 (1.20%)

While New York and California likely take another hour or so, we have enough confidence to give Washington state to the vice president and Oregon to the governor. That means effectively the election comes down to New York and/or California. Nelson Rockefeller can end this thing by winning either of them. With New York alone, he would be at 271 electoral votes, one more than needed. With California alone, Rockefeller would end up with 275 electoral votes. If he carries both of them, his tally adds up to 316. Bobby Kennedy has to win both if he wants to move into the Oval Office coming January. If he carries both, he'd win with 274 electoral votes. These three scenarios are now all options left. That also means, an electoral college deadlock won't occur. The only thing that can happen now is a recount in one of the decisive states.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 230 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 188 EV.
Too close/early to call: 86 EV.

CBS PROJECTS: DEMOCRATS MAINTAIN CONTROL OF CONGRESS

WALTER CRONKITE: While the presidential election comes down to New York and California, both a nailbiter, we have a major projection to make that concerns the United States congress: We are now certain that the Democrats will remain in control of the United States senate. Republicans gained seats in Virginia, North Carolina, Oklahoma and New Mexico. The Democrats picked up Maine, Delaware and South Dakota. Possibly Colorado, but that remains to be very close. Notable is the loss of Republican Margaret Chase-Smith in Maine, who lost to Democratic challenger William Hathaway. Mrs. Smith has been the first woman to be elected in her own right to the senate. At the age of 76, she may now retire, but is also rumored to take a position in a possible Rockefeller Administration.

In the House of Representatives, we are also confident that the Democrats maintain their majority. As of now, they won 201 seats. That is 17 short of a majority, but with the remaining districts to be counted, CBS projects Democrats will likely end up with a similar number than in the previous congress, which was 233. The Republicans have won 173 seats at this point. We expect them to win just above 200 mandates.

That means, if Nelson Rockefeller is elected president this night, he will have to deal with a Democratic congress. If Robert Kennedy pulls this off, he will find himself into a similar position than President Johnson in the past two years. Menaing, it wouldn't be as easy as for LBJ in his first five years, but things certainly can get done. We will keep you up to date in both the presidential and down-ballot races. Now return to a short break and will be back in moment. Stay with us.

1.04 a.m. – BREAKING: KENNEDY NARROWLY WINS NEW YORK! ELECTION TO BE DECIDED BY CALIFORNIA!

WALTER CRONKITE: Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now confronted with a brand new situation: With 100% of the vote in New York counted, we received word that Vice President Robert F. Kennedy has carried the state with a very, very narrow margin of 49.0% to 48.8% of the vote. This is stunning! Really stunning! After the Empire State has already been called for the Republican ticket, we now have these 41 electoral votes go to the Democratic ticket. Bobby Kennedy badly needed this victory in his homestate. He stands now at 229 electoral votes. One less than Nelson Rockefeller. In other words: The state of California will decide the 1972 presidential election! Whoever wins the Golden State and its 45 electoral votes, wins the White House. It couldn't be much closer as it is now up to Ronald Reagan's homestate to determine who will be the 37th President of the United States. It's going to Nelson Rockefeller with 275 electoral votes or Robert Kennedy with 274 electoral votes.

As we are told, the vote count in California is a little slow, just above 50%. No clear trend is visible at this early stage. Both candidates are within a single percentage point! We can now also project that the Republicans hang on Colorado in the senate race. Kentucky is now also reported to be a narrow GOP win. That means, the Democrats will control the chamber with 53 seats, including Independent Harry F. Byrd of Virginia, who caucuses with the Democratic Party. That's a net loss of one seat for the Democrats. Republicans hold 46 seats, with conservative James Buckley of New York caucusing with the GOP. Yet, the House is divided 224 to 206 in the Democrats' favor. Five districts remain to be called. We go to a short commercial and will be right back. Stay with us for the ultimate decision!

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 230 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 229 EV.
Too close/early to call: 45 EV.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2018, 06:05:44 AM by President Johnson »

1.54 a.m.: PRESIDENT ROCKEFELLER! CALIFORNIA PUSHES ROCKY OVER THE TOP!

★★★ BREAKING NEWS: California decides election in favor of Nelson Rockefeller! Bare majority in Golden State pushes Rockefeller/Ford ticket over the finish line with 275 electoral votes. Nelson Rockefeller elected president! ★★★

WALTER CRONKITE: There we are! Deep into the night, with 99% of the votes reported in California, we have the final decision: According to our reports, Nelson Rockefeller edged out Robert Kennedy with a slim 42,000 vote margin, or a half percentage point. Take a look at the current vote count:

CALIFORNIA (99.2% reported)
✓ Nelson A. Rockefeller (R): 4,045,867 (48.74%)
Robert F. Kennedy (D): 4,003,533 (48.23%)
Lester G. Maddox (A): 222,464 (2.68%)

With less than 80,000 ballots left to be counted in California, it is hard to imagine where RFK could find these additional 42,000 votes he has to pick up to overcome his current deficit. Considering from which areas ballots are left to be included in the vote count, we actually expect Nelson Rockefeller to widen his lead by a few thousands votes. Now, therefore, with California being de facto decided, CBS is calling this presidential contest by adding 45 electoral votes to the Republican column, which finally adds up to 275. Ladies and Gentlemen, that means the following: Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller will become the 37th President of the United States of America on January 20, 1973, succeeding President Lyndon Baines Johnson. After twelve years of Democratic rule in the White House, Governor Rockefeller, who we now refer to as President-elect Rockefeller, has won back the Executive Mansion for the Republican Party. At his side, Gerald Rudolph Ford of Michigan will be serving as the 40th Vice President of the United States. The incoming Rockefeller/Ford Administration will face a lot of challenges, both at home and abroad. One of them will be a Democratic congress. We have to see how Nelson Rockefeller will operate as president with his pragmatic governance approach. It is likely that he will attempt to form voting coalitions of the center to get is agenda passed, with Vice President-elect Ford playing a key role at Capitol Hill. In foreign policy, we do not expect a major departure from the Johnson policies of détente. Henry Kissinger, a protégé of the president-elect, is almost certain to take a major role in the administration on foreign policy.

For Bobby Kennedy, this is the biggest defeat of his political career. And maybe the second-biggest defeat in his life, after the tragic loss of his brother nine years ago. Considering that he started off this campaign as the clear favorite to succeed his relatively popular boss in the Oval Office, the election loss is a disappointment for him. Although we knew the race would be close going into the final days, RFK was still expected edge out a narrow win, especially with the push Jimmy Carter gave him in the South. It remains to be seen what Robert Kennedy will do after January, when he will be a former vice president at the age of 47. Interestingly, he is of the same age than Richard Nixon in 1960, who was also defeated as sitting vice president trying to succeed his boss. Nixon attempted a comeback eight years later and failed. What will become of Bobby Kennedy - we don't know yet.

We also have first reliable numbers on the national popular vote. Nelson Rockefeller not just edges out an electoral college victory, he also wins the popular vote with around 47.5%. Robert Kennedy received just below 46% and Lester Maddox a little more than six percent. These numbers may change to some degree until all ballots are counted, but we do not expect larger deflections from this result. Currently, Rockefeller's advantage is a slightly over a million votes. Looking at the projections, we expect him to end up with about 1.4 or 1.5 million votes more than RFK. That is far less than in 1968, but a lot more than JFK's narrow win against Richard Nixon in 1960. This is the final map:

✓ Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 275 EV. (~ 47.5%)
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 229 EV. (~ 45.8%)
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 34 EV. (~6.3%)

And I just got word that Nelson Rockefeller will address the nation in about ten minutes. News also broke that Vice President Kennedy has called the president-elect, but will officially concede the race tomorrow - or I should say today - morning. We come back after a short break. Stay with us.

[…]

We now turn to the Rockefeller Center in New York City, where thousands of cheering supporters wait for Rocky to address the nation. After many years, Nelson Rockefeller has finally fulfilled his dream of becoming president. And now, Gerald Ford is entering the hall and walking to the podium. Ladies and Gentlemen, the vice president-elect of the United States.

CROWD: Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

VICE PRESIDENT-ELECT FORD: Thank you all! Thank you so much! That is a tremendous honor. Betty and I are so grateful for all the support and the love we received in the past months. Tonight, the American people made their voices heard. And they have elected a man as their leader, who will be compassioned in serving this great nation. I couldn’t be prouder to stand by his side in implementing an agenda for all the people. I also want to thank Vice President Kennedy and Governor Carter for the spirited campaign they ran. We will be looking forward to work with these two outstanding men and reach out to the millions who voted for them. Be assured, that a Rockefeller/Ford Administration will be the servant of all Americans and work hard to earn the trust of all the people! Now, please join me in welcoming the next president of the United States, please welcome Nelson Rockefeller!

America’s new leadership duo: President-elect Nelson Rockefeller and Vice President-elect Gerald Ford at their victory celebration on election night

[Massive cheering, applause]

CROWD: Rocky! Rocky! Rocky! We want Rocky! We want Rocky!

PRESIDENT-ELECT ROCKEFELLER: Thank you very, very much! I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. First let me thank my friend Jerry for that magnificent introduction. I know you will be an outstanding vice president and true partner in guiding our nation.
Now… my fellow Americans: Thank you! Happy and I are deeply moved by the trust and confidence you have expressed tonight. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you gave me the opportunity and the privilege to serve as your next president. Tonight, I want to thank all the millions who entrusted us with the awesome responsibility to lead the greatest country on planet earth as well as the many thousands of supporters and local organizers who made our victory possible. I also want to express my thanks and respect for all those citizens who did not vote for me, but participated in our democracy. To all of you, I say: Be assured, that I will work tirelessly to win your confidence and trust. I want to be the president of all Americans, working together with their congressional representatives of both parties to tackle our problems and make America a better place to live, to work and to prosper. Let us work together in a spirit of trust and mutual respect and a deep love for our wonderful land. To the world, I also have a message: America is and will always remain a force for peace and freedom. We do not seek to conquer or to dominate. We want peace and democracy. And: We are open for all those who want to come to America, live the American dream, contribute to and be part of our society. To our adversaries, I say: America does not want to be your enemy. We want a stable world and the self-determination of free people. We seek dialogue, not conflict. That does not mean we shrink from defending our allies and our values. But I am confident we can work out differences peacefully.
Let me now extend my profound respect for Vice President Robert Kennedy and Governor Jimmy Carter for a spirited campaign, that inspired millions across America and beyond. The vice president just called me on the phone. He congratulated us and offered his full cooperation, what I thankfully accepted. I wished him personally all the best. Vice President Kennedy is a decent man and we all owe him a deep gratitude for all he has done to enrich America. I am sure that he has a great future ahead of him. I also received a call from President Johnson, who expressed his congratulations and offered his help in the transition phase. The president invited me to the White House on Friday. I look forward to work with this great man, who has served his country with extraordinary compassion, until the inauguration and beyond.
Today, we celebrate the victory of American democracy going into its bicentennial soon, but tomorrow we will go back to work. For you. The American people. Remember, this is all about you, not me. So, thank you again, good night, god bless you and may god bless the United States of America.

WALTER CRONKITE: That was live from New York City, the words of President-elect Rockefeller… a term I still have to get used to. To finish with a few personal words, I think this has been a moving and classy victory speech. I rarely saw a winner who spoke that friendly of his defeated opponent. At this late hour, we end our program and encourage you to tune in again soon. Thank you and good night.

NEXT: Bobby Kennedy's concession speech and the final state-by-state results
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2018, 06:34:58 AM »
« Edited: February 25, 2018, 05:48:04 AM by President Johnson »

November 8, 1972

Vice President Kennedy officially concedes presidential election

As the final result was not known until two o’clock, Bobby Kennedy decided to deliver his concession speech the next morning after calling Nelson Rockefeller at night. He was introduced by his running mate Jimmy Carter, who thanked all supporters for their lasting support and called on Democrats to support the incoming administration. For Carter, the election was just a temporary loss: He could return to Georgia to continue his governorship, but already made his name well known nationally and proved his electability in the South and beyond.

CROWD: Kennedy! Kennedy! Bobby! Bobby! [Applause]

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: Thank you my friends. I appreciate your warm welcome. Thank you Jimmy, for being an awesome running mate. I couldn’t be prouder of you all the people here who supported me long before I ran for the presidency and who worked their heart out for our mission. Thank you all again. Last night, I called Nelson Rockefeller and congratulated him on his election to the presidency. [CROWD interrupts: Nooooo!! ]. Please. Please. I know, this is a tough time for all of us. But a great character is not just shown in the joy of victory, but also – or even more – in the sorrow of defeat and in which manner we handle it. I am sad, but not bitter. The democratic process has worked its will. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
President-elect Rockefeller ran a positive campaign that rallied millions of Americans behind his cause and I expressed my respect for these Americans, who voted for him and Gerald Ford. I also offered him my full cooperation in the upcoming transition and beyond and expressed my hope, that he and Vice President-elect Ford will be successful in leading our nation. And I would urge each and every one of you to do likewise. Let us leave the division behind and unite as one country with equal rights and justice for all. And while I proposed different policies, I am not worried over the general course of America. Nelson Rockefeller has long served his country and the state of New York. There is no question about his qualifications and personal integrity to be our commander-in-chief. He is a good man.
Finally, I also want to express my thanks to President Lyndon Johnson for giving me the opportunity to serve at his side over the last four years as vice president and for his help on the campaign trail. And let me also thank all of you again. I will never forget how whole-hearted you have supported me over the years. Ethel and I will always be thankful to you. Please never forget: Our mission goes on! It goes on with you out there. Thank you again, god bless you, and god bless America.

The vice president’s campaign confirmed reports the next day that he visited President-elect Rockefeller at his New York office to congratulate him in person on the afternoon of November 8. Rockefeller’s office also confirmed the meeting and described the conversation as “very friendly and productive”.

President Johnson addresses the nation on election outcome

President Lyndon B. Johnson chats with reporters at his Texas Ranch after commenting the election outcome in public

At his Texas ranch, President Lyndon B. Johnson went before the cameras to address the nation.

PRESIDENT JOHNSON: Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen here at the LBJ Ranch and my fellow countrymen: Yesterday, Americans have elected a new president in fair, secret and free elections. As soon as the election outcome was determined, I phoned President-elect Nelson Rockefeller and congratulated him and Vice President-elect Gerald R. Ford on a compassionate campaign and their victory. I look forward in working with Governor Rockefeller and invited him to the Executive Mansion coming Friday to discuss the transition that will take place in the next two months. I expect this to be a very smooth transformation of power. I have already instructed my staff and cabinet to prepare for this phase and reach out to his team, which will be organized as I speak to you. Americans can be certain the federal government functions at any time.
Having known President-elect Rockefeller for many years, I can assure the American people that the United States will be in good hands when he takes office in January of 1973. The first priority of my administration is now to ensure the incoming president has a good start and I sincerely hope you bestow your trust and confidence to President-elect Rockefeller, as needs it to lead this country with success. Let us also thank Vice President Bobby Kennedy for his outstanding service to our nation and his deep devotion for the cause of a better America. I am proud to have served with him and I wish him and his family personally and politically all the best. The same is true for Governor Carter, who, I am sure, will remain a passionate voice for our policies and I will always support him in this cause.
Thank you for your attention, and god bless America.

The president would return to Washington the next day and prepare for the transition and the final two months of his nine year presidency. As political observers noted in their writings, LBJ looked old and less vital than in the early years of his administration. Although he was at the same age than the incoming president (both 64), nine long years at the biggest job in the world and a near-deadly heart-attack had a price.

Press voices

As the press commented President Johnson's appearance, it was no secret that LBJ felt comfortable about his designated successor, who would not be an essential treat to his Great Society. The concern his legacy could be ripped apart died the day Nelson Rockefeller defeated Ronald Reagan for the Republican nomination. And possibly the Rockefeller victory ensures that the Gipper may never be president: Had RFK won, Reagan would have been the frontrunner for 1976 and thrown the liberal GOP wing into disarray. After the humiliating defeat in 1964, the liberal wing of the Republican Party now seemed stronger than at any time of the past two decades with their leader sitting in the White House soon. Now it remains to be seen how Nelson Rockefeller puts his administration together. He is likely to put leading liberals of his party such as George Romney in charge of important posts, but at some point he has to reach out to the conservatives. It also remains to be seen who will lead the Democratic Party into the next years now that both President Johnson and Vice President Kennedy will be out of office soon. It is possible that Hubert Humphrey emerges as the de-facto Democratic leader. Other names are Albert Brewer and Jimmy Carter, who represent a new and more liberal generation of southern Democrats. Some obeservers already wrote that the outcome of the 1972 presidential election may be one of the most consequential in the 20th century despite the fact that both major nominees had more in common politically than in many previous match-ups.

★★★ The full election results ★★★

Infobox

Results by state

Maps and graphs

✓ Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 275 EV. (47.71%)
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 229 EV. (45.63%)
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 34 EV. (6.14%)

Miscellanea

- With the passage of the 26th Amendment in 1971, this was the first election 18-21 year olds voted in a presidential election. Robert Kennedy won among this group 53% to 44%.
- Lester Maddox won 34 electoral votes, more than any other third-party candidate since Strom Thurmond in 1948 (who got 39). He also won more votes (6.1%) than any third-party contender since 1912.
- At 64 years, Nelson Rockefeller became the oldest first-time elected president since 1856.
- For the first time since 1876, a president has been elected who shares the same year of birth than his predecessor, as both Johnson and Rockefeller were born in 1908.
- The winner’s electoral vote share (275; or 51.1%) was smallest since 1876.
- Nelson Rockefeller won 21% of the black vote, the most for a Republican since Richard Nixon in 1960.
- While the losing ticket won the homestates of both nominees (New York and Georgia), the winning ticket did neither, as New York and Michigan voted not for Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford.
- Nelson Rockefeller will become the wealthiest president upon his inauguration, surpassing John F. Kennedy. He will also become the first divorced and re-married president.
- As Democrats control congress, Nelson Rockefeller will become the first president who enters office without having a congressional majority for his party in either house since Andrew Johnson in 1865.

Senate results

Dark red/blue = Democratic/Republican hold
Light red/blue = Democratic/Republican gain
Grey = No senate election in 1972

52 Democratic (net change  -1 seat), 46 Republican (net change:  +1 seat), 1 Conservative (net change:  no change), 1 Independent Democrat (net change:  no change)

Democratic gains: DE, ME, SD
Republican gains: NM, NC, OK, VA

House of Representatives

227 Democratic (net change  -6 seats); 208 Republican (net change:  +6 seats)

Congressional Leadership will be listed when the new congress assembles in January 1973.

Writer's note: The total numbers cast per state are real 1972 numbers, while the percentages are TL results. Next: The presidential transition and Nelson Rockefeller's cabinet selections!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: February 25, 2018, 03:49:27 AM »

This was great! Might even be for the best- without Watergate and Reagan, perhaps the era of polarization will never come in the intensity we're seeing today.
Rocky '76, RFK '80, RFK '84! Tongue

if you want to stop that , have some other GOP congressman become the Speaker of the House in the mid 1990s.

Agreed, though Reagan laid the ideological groundwork and moved the party to the right on many issues. But he understood how to make deals with Democrats and hold common-sense positions on some other topics (like gun control) and was pretty liberal in immigration. With this stance, he'd likely perform poorly in today's Republican Party (Reagan is actually some Jeff Flake with more charisma).

Rocky 76 and then RFK seems likely at this moment of history, but I'd just like to remind that several leaders including presidents came out of nowhere within a short period of time. Who heard of Barack Obama in 2000 or Bill Clinton 1984 outside of their constituencies? However, it's weird or funny to think about RFK being a major figure in the 1980s.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: February 25, 2018, 04:12:34 AM »

This was great! Might even be for the best- without Watergate and Reagan, perhaps the era of polarization will never come in the intensity we're seeing today.
Rocky '76, RFK '80, RFK '84! Tongue

if you want to stop that , have some other GOP congressman become the Speaker of the House in the mid 1990s.

Agreed, though Reagan laid the ideological groundwork and moved the party to the right on many issues. But he understood how to make deals with Democrats and hold common-sense positions on some other topics (like gun control) and was pretty liberal in immigration. With this stance, he'd likely perform poorly in today's Republican Party (Reagan is actually some Jeff Flake with more charisma).

Rocky 76 and then RFK seems likely at this moment of history, but I'd just like to remind that several leaders including presidents came out of nowhere within a short period of time. Who heard of Barack Obama in 2000 or Bill Clinton 1984 outside of their constituencies? However, it's weird or funny to think about RFK being a major figure in the 1980s.

I would say more of a John Kasich with Charisma(Remember Kasich was considered pretty conservative when he was in Congress, now he is considered a moderate).

I would say he could do well in the GOP primary for these reasons: He was very charismatic, he was very good of appealing to conservative and moderate voters without looking like a flip-flopper, and he probably would get a lot of support from the establishment.

Maybe the GOP has moved so far right than Kasich or even Reagan look so moderate now. I'd actually find Kasich to be more of a Gerald Ford for his kindness and moderate views (though was actually more of a centrist and as far as I remember, Kasich once said he supported Reagan in 1976). Reagan would certainly do better than Jeb or Rubio, but I'm not sure he could beat Donald Trump.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2018, 05:26:36 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2018, 01:30:06 PM by President Johnson »

The transition: From LBJ to Rocky

November 9, 1972: President-elect Rockefeller puts transition team together, names Gerald Ford its head

Vice President-elect Gerald Ford has already been assigned to an important task: He will chair the transition of Team Rockefeller

Two days after his election, President-elect Nelson Rockefeller went to work to prepare for his presidency: He named Vice President-elect Gerald Ford to be the head of the transition team. Media observers described Ford’s selection for this important role as an indication that the president-elect intends to give his second-in-command a major role in his government similar to Lieutenant Governor Malcolm Wilson in New York state, who Governor Rockefeller gave important tasks to do as well. When asked about the assignment, the president-elect responded with a smile: "I haven't selected Jerry to be standby equipment and to go to funerals".

Other notable people of the Transition Team include Republicans across the spectrum: Ronald Reagan has been appointed vice chair and will oversee the schedule. Long-time Rockefeller advisor Henry Kissinger is also joining the team, heading the foreign policy group. For Kissinger, this is an easy task as he already worked for President Johnson and has contacts to foreign leaders. Soon after, rumors began swirl that he would become Secretary of State. The team also includes outgoing Senator Margret Chase-Smith (R-ME), Congressman Pete McCloskey (R-CA) and former vice president Richard Nixon. After being voted out in Maine, Chase-Smith is also seen as a likely appointee in the new administration. In addition, she would give Nelson Rockefeller the opportunity to put a woman in a high position, as he said he would do during the campaign.

Rocky also began organizing the transition in New York state, as he would turn the governorship over to Lieutenant Governor and personal friend Malcolm Wilson sometime in January.

November 10, 1972: President Johnson meets President-elect Rockefeller at the White House

From one president to another: LBJ and Rocky speak at the White House transition meeting

Day three after the election: On this Friday, President Lyndon Johnson welcomed President-elect Nelson Rockefeller to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for a first meeting. The two men spoke for more than three hours and had lunch together. It was well known and visible that both men had not just a mutual respect for each other, both shared a similar view on government activism to improve life conditions. Both men also did not attack each other during the campaign, although LBJ was on RFK’s side and made speeches for his vice president. Vice President Kennedy and his designated successor Gerald Ford also had a transition meeting and joined the two presidents at lunch. As White House insiders said, the mood at lunch was very friendly and positive. Other notable people from both sides met as well. Henry Kissinger sat down with Secretary of State Katzenbach to discuss foreign affairs and a new round of negotiations with the Soviets.

At the end of their meeting, President Johnson and President-elect Rockefeller just gave a brief statement and praised each other (the press was mainly excluded except for the final statement). LBJ remarked the two would meet again very soon. Rocky added that he’s looking forward to consult with his predecessor frequently during his presidency and listen to the advice of the nation’s 36th president, who sat for nine years in the chief executive’s chair. "We won't find another individual other than Lyndon in our lifetimes who hold the job for over nine years. I look forward to get his opinions on a broad range of issues", the incoming president commented.

Later that day, President-elect Rockefeller met with congressional leaders for dinner to discuss the agenda of his first months in office. Senator Hubert Humphrey, who also participated, spoke of “very productive talks” with the incoming president and his deputy.

November 14, 1972: George McGovern slams Lester Maddox for RFK’s loss

Senator McGovern: Lester Maddox is to blame for RFK's narrow defeat

It had been remarkably quiet among leading Democrats since election day, but a week after voters cast their ballots, Senator and former presidential candidate George McGovern (D-SD) slammed Lester Maddox for Bobby Kennedy’s narrow defeat. “Had Maddox not entered the race, RFK would be president-elect now. I hope we learn our lesson”, the senator with own presidential ambitions said. Most other leading Democrats declined to comment. And Hubert Humphrey remarked: "My focus is on the future and not discussions what might have been. That doesn't help a single American".

November 21, 1972: President-elect Rockefeller announces first cabinet nominations, Agnew to become Attorney General

Left to right: Spiro Agnew, nominated for Attorney General; Thomas Kuchel, choice for Labor Secretary and John Anderson, nominee for Secretary of Agriculture

Exactly two weeks after his victory, President-elect Rockefeller announces his first cabinet picks: Spiro Agnew will join the administration as Attorney General. The Maryland governor and unsuccessful presidential candidate has accepted the offer to come to Washington and serve in the administration. As governor and during his campaign for the GOP nomination, Agnew presented himself as a staunch supporter of law-and-order policies but with a commitment to civil rights. Press observers described the selection as well taken, as Agnew was appealing to more conservative Republicans and voters, but not alienating Rockefeller's base of support from pro-civil rights groups. In a statement, Agnew said he was "deeply honored for this opportunity" and that he wants to serve the cause of "civil liberty and equal justice under law for everybody with no tolerance for violent criminals."

The president-elect’s office announced two more nominations: Former California Senator Thomas Kuchel, a liberal Republican, will head the Labor Department. President-elect Rockefeller and Senator Kuchel have a lot in common politically. Rocky noted that he will be a "champion for worker's rights". In addition, former Kansas Governor John Anderson has been selected to be Secretary of Agriculture. The Los Angeles Times already noted that Nelson Rockefeller apparently has a preference for governors to serve in his administration, as they are more familiar with running a government bureaucracy. Having been a governor himself, he obviously prefers to surround himself with people of similar experiences.

November 24, 1972: John Connally nominated for Secretary of Commerce

Once a Texas Democrat, now a moderate Republican: Former Governor John Connally will join the Rockefeller Administration and be the head of the Commerce Department

Another important cabinet decision was made public this Friday: Former Texas governor and Navy Secretary (under JFK) John Connally, a personal friend of President Johnson, joins the Rockefeller Administration as Secretary of Commerce. Connally supported Rocky early on during the campaign and recently switched his party affiliation from Democratic to Republican. Now his loyalty gets rewarded and a native Texan a place in the new administration.

November 28, 1972: John B. Anderson tapped as White House Chief of Staff

Representative John B. Anderson is set to become White House Chief of Staff, making him a key figure in the new president's team

And another John Anderson for Rocky: Congressman John B. Anderson of Illinois, a liberal Republican, received the nomination for the role as White House Chief of Staff. The 50 year old congressman, at Capitol Hill since 1961, has been involved in the transition team and actively supported the Rockefeller campaign. Although some conservative Republicans were skeptical behind closed doors, the president-elect’s confidence gave Anderson the job as head of the White House staff and key policy maker in the Executive Mansion. Anderson himself apparently did not expect the opportunity and said: “I am deeply thankful for the confidence President-elect Rockefeller has put in me. I look forward to assist our next president in leading America and do everything I can to contribute to the success of this administration”. Reports indicated that Vice President-elect Gerald Ford presented the choice, a fellow congressman from the mid-west, to his new boss. The incoming chief executive obviously very much liked "that fellow from Illinois" [as Rocky reportedly responded to the suggestion].

November 30, 1972: New polls! Released by Gallup

With his presidency nearing an end, President Johnson improves his standing among voters once again. A majority also thinks that his tenure was a overall success. Both Vice President Kennedy and President-elect Rockefeller get high grades as well. The American people obviously responded positively to Nelson Rockefeller's post-election message and are willing to give their new leader their trust.

Approve: 60%
Disapprove: 36%

Questions

Q: No matter how you voted, do you feel that President-elect Rockefeller cares for you?
Yes: 78%
No: 16%

Q: Do you approve or disapprove President-elect Rockefeller's performance so far?
Approve: 83%
No: 11%

Q: Do you approve or disapprove how Vice President Kennedy handled his defeat?
Approve: 85%
No: 7%

Q: Do you regard Lyndon B. Johnson's presidency as a overall success?
Yes: 63%
No: 30%

Q: Which issue should President-elect Rockefeller give the highest priority after his swearing-in? [name one]
World peace: 28%
The economy: 19%
Civil Rights: 12%
Taxes: 10%
Infrastructure: 7%
The environment: 6%
Energy: 5%
Education: 3%
Government ethics: 2%
Others: 9%

Opinion of leading politicans

President Lyndon B. Johnson
Favorable: 59%
Unfavorable: 37%
No opinion/never heard of: 4%

Vice President Robert F. Kennedy
Favorable: 63%
Unfavorable: 34%
No opinion/never heard of: 3%

President-elect Nelson Rockefeller
Favorable: 65%
Unfavorable: 30%
No opinion/never heard of: 5%

Vice President-elect Gerald Ford
Favorable: 54%
Unfavorable: 27%
No opinion/never heard of: 19%

Secretary of State Nicholas Katzenbach
Favorable: 65%
Unfavorable: 33%
No opinion/never heard of: 7%

Senator Hubert Humphrey
Favorable: 55%
Unfavorable: 39%
No opinion/never heard of: 6%

Former Governor George Wallace
Favorable: 43%
Unfavorable: 40%
No opinion/never heard of: 17%

Former Governor Lester Maddox
Favorable: 30%
Unfavorable: 56%
No opinion/never heard of: 14%

Governor Ronald Reagan
Favorable: 52%
Unfavorable: 38%
No opinion/never heard of: 10%

Governor Jimmy Carter
Favorable: 50%
Unfavorable: 26%
No opinion/never heard of: 24%

Governor Albert Brewer
Favorable: 44%
Unfavorable: 21%
No opinion/never heard of: 35%

Governor Spiro Agnew
Favorable: 49%
Unfavorable: 35%
No opinion/never heard of: 16%

Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield
Favorable: 40%
Unfavorable: 29%
No opinion/never heard of: 31%

Senate Minority Hugh Scott
Favorable: 35%
Unfavorable: 22%
No opinion/never heard of: 43%

House Speaker Carl Albert
Favorable: 40%
Unfavorable: 27%
No opinion/never heard of: 33%
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #120 on: February 28, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »

December 4, 1972: President-elect Rockefeller makes key nominations on foreign and defense policy: Romney heads to the Pentagon, Kissinger for National Security Advisor, Scranton for UN Ambassador

Left to right: George Romney has been picked as Secretary of Defense; Henry Kissinger will become National Security Advisor and Bill Scranton America's voice at the UN

Monday, December 4 saw major nominations for President-elect Rockefeller’s foreign and defense policy team: Long-time supporter and fellow liberal Republican George Romney, the former Michigan governor, will take over the job as Secretary of Defense. With the appointment, Mr. Romney reenters the political arena after being out of public office for two years. His nomination to a top job itself is hardly a surprise, though observers expected the 65 year old ex-governor to go to the State or Treasury Department instead. The selection is also interesting because then-Governor Romney made a heavy blunder during his brief 1968 presidential campaign by admitting the military had once “brainwashed” him. When asked about the issue from five years ago, President-elect Rockefeller spoke of “yesterday’s news” that should not be “over interpreted” for “poor wording”. Instead, he praised Romney’s leadership skills: “Governor Romney has been a businessman and successful governor. He has the capacity to lead a bureaucracy such as the Pentagon effectively. My goal is to have a very strong military but streamline processes inside the department, so that we deliver the best national defense with the lowest possible burden for taxpayers. A competent team of military experts around outgoing Secretary Clark Clifford will remain in place. I have full confidence in George and the employees of the Pentagon to manage this task and oversee the final end of the draft.”

Another important nomination was no surprise either: Henry Kissinger will play a key role in foreign policy in the new administration. The Rockefeller protégé and foreign policy expert, who also worked for President Johnson from 1969 to 1971, has been assigned to the role of National Security Advisor. That means he'll be in the West Wing and directly report to the president. Mr. Kissinger stands for some continuity in foreign affairs and is staunch supporter of a détente policy toward the USSR and Red China. Political observers suggested he may become Secretary of State before the announcement was made.

The post of the UN Ambassador has gained more stature in recent years, so that this nomination received some attention as well. Although being a loyal Rockefeller supporter and member of the transition, former Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton wasn’t on anybody’s shortlist for the Ambassadorship. Nevertheless, he accepted President-elect Rockefeller’s offer to take the job. Scranton has no foreign policy experience, but Nelson Rockefeller praised his “negotiating skills and a deep knowledge of world affairs.”

Who will be Secretary of State? Is the Gipper in play?

Will Ronald Reagan become Secretary of State? Some observers raised this possibility

Kissinger out for Secretary of State… now what? That was the biggest question in Washington following the latest series of announcements by the president-elect’s office. Who would receive the nomination for the de-facto highest ranking cabinet position in Nelson Rockefeller’s Administration? Rumors were around since the election, but now more and more observers raised the question whether Ronald Reagan was a serious option for the State Department? Various reports, citing insider information, claimed the California governor and runner-up for the Republican nomination was under consideration by President-elect Rockefeller and his inner circle. He wouldn't be the first unsucessful candidate to take over the job as America's top-diplomat (a prime example is William H. Seward in President Lincoln's administration).

Originally the Gipper ruled out to join a Rockefeller Administration, but might he change his mind? His second term as governor will expire in early 1975 and so far he has sent no signals for a third term run. By taking the role as Secretary of State, Reagan could gain more credentials on foreign policy what would be beneficial for another presidential run in the future. The position would also allow him to remain a key player at the national stage for the next years. On the other hand, the Gipper would be required to implement Rocky's foreign policy. Especially with regard to détente and Latin America policy, there are differences which shouldn't be underestimated. And between the president himself and Henry Kissinger making foreign policy at the White House, the Secretary of State's role might be marginalized. For Nelson Rockefeller, there were ups and downs as well. On the one hand, he would have more control over his top rival within the party and get him out of domestic policy, on the other hand, he might prefer a loyalist at the State Department who shares more of his views in foreign affairs. In the end, it was both a chance and a risk for either side.

The president-elect's office, on December 9, announced that the final pick is likely to be made public between Christmas and New Year's Eve.

December 12, 1972: Mike Mansfield to step down as Senate Majority leader, Hubert Humphrey set to take position

Senator Mike Mansfield (D-MT) surprisingly announced that he wants to step down as Democratic leader in the senate. Senator Hubert Humphrey (D-MN) has been designated to take over that powerful role

In the midst of all the discussions and speculation around the Rockefeller Administration’s formation, there is going to be a significant change on the Democratic side, too: Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield, leading his caucus since LBJ left congress in early 1961, announced he would step down as Democratic senate leader coming January. At a press gathering, he said: “In these changing times, I believe it serves our party, and more importantly the nation best, to turn over this position to a new leader. I want to suggest my dear colleague and friend Hubert Humphrey for the position. Hubert has the experience and passion to lead our caucus effectively. I am proud to have served for twelve years as Majority Leader and I enjoyed every minute of it. I will continue to represent the people of the great state of Montana and be available for any task or advice I am asked for by my party. Thank you very much.”

The move by Senator Mansfield came unexpectedly for the public. Even as he was turning 70 the next year, the political veteran from Montana made a very vital impression, though he was never a great showman and preferred working in the background. The selection of Hubert Humphrey, who was the sole candidate for the job, was well received among Democrats in congress and at the base. In addition, the two outgoing party leaders LBJ and RFK backed Humphrey for Majority Leader. The former vice president and passionate liberal warrior, who reentered the senate in 1971, was overshadowed by Bobby Kennedy in the last months after losing the Democratic nomination to the charismatic vice president. Before, he was also overshadowed by President Johnson’s dominance in the government apparatus. Now that LBJ would be gone and RFK was set leave the national stage as well – at least temporarily – Democrats looked for a new leader in the upcoming Rockefeller years. Humphrey seemingly was their man. Someone who was standing up for his cause, but also somebody, with whom future President Rockefeller could find common ground and build a personal relationship to get things done. They undeniably needed each other in the next years.

December 19, 1972: President-elect Rockefeller makes more cabinet nominations; Chase-Smith to become HHS Secretary, two more governors named

Left to right: Margaret Chase-Smith for HHS Secretary; Walter R. Peterson is set to become Transportation Secretary and John Arthur Love will head the Interior Department

As Christmas neared, President-elect Rockefeller and his team announced more cabinet appointments. As expected, outgoing Maine Senator Margaret Chase-Smith, a moderate and the first woman elected to the senate, will become a member of the administration. She accepted Nelson Rockefeller's offer to take over the Department of Health and Human Services. Chase-Smith remarked that she is "excited to serve the 37th President of the United States in delivering results for the American people." The selection was well received among members of congress from both parties and the press.

The nomination for Secretary of Transportation went to another New England officeholder who just lost reelection: Outgoing New Hampshire governor Walter R. Peterson was ultimately selected for the post. Insiders reported that Nelson Rockefeller also considered Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr., son of Barry Goldwater and member of the House Transportation Committee, to appease the conservative wing, but negotiations in the end failed (publically this was denied).

And one more pick was made public that day: Secretary of the Interior would be outgoing Colorado governor John Arthur Love. Like previous Interior secretaries, the nomination went to a westerner this time as well.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: March 02, 2018, 01:32:35 PM »

I'll be honest, the Agnew and (Bayard) Anderson picks seem strange to me--Treasury seems like the type of thing to generally be the province of former federal reserve leaders or whose who work in finance. I would assume that a New York loyalist would, meanwhile, be leading the Rockefeller White House. I believe Agnew's experience makes him more of an Attorney General type of candidate--he has legal credentials and would help to round out Rockefeller's "law and order" stance. In such a position, I could see him as being a sort of comic attack dog for the administration, helping to draw heat for more conservative policies while at the same time earning the adoration of "silent majority" types.

Well, I first thought about Agnew being AG, but you're right, that position fits him better. I didn't pick him in the first place since I had somebody else in mind, but that one might enter the stage later following Agnew. After some consideration, I edited the post and gave him the Justice Dept. instead of Treasury. A replacement here will be announced later on Tongue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: March 03, 2018, 07:16:30 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2018, 10:49:30 AM by President Johnson »

December 30, 1972: Secretary of State pick announced at press conference: It's Richard Nixon!

Former Vice President Richard Nixon speaks as President-elect Rockefeller introduced him as nominee for Secretary of State.

Bombshell in Washington! This morning, President-elect Rockefeller, joined by Vice President-elect Ford, went before the press to introduce his selection for Secretary of State. Afterwards, reporters were permitted to ask questions. A stunning move!

PRESIDENT-ELECT ROCKEFELLER: Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen, distinguished members of the press and my fellow Americans: Today I am delighted to present to you the man who I will nominate for the office of Secretary of State. After careful consideration and examination with my team, I have decided to offer the position to former vice president Richard Nixon. Yesterday, Mr. Nixon has accepted to serve as America?s chief diplomat in the Rockefeller/Ford Administration. Vice President Nixon brings a long experience in foreign affairs and a profound knowledge world affairs to the table and is, as I have determined, excellently qualified to be the head of the State Department. He will closely work with the president, the incoming White House staff and Doctor Kissinger to ensure that America will stand tall in the world by granting world peace and stability. Now, please come on stage, Dick, and say a few words, before we are taking some questions. Thank you all.

RICHARD NIXON: Thank you, my friends. Ladies and Gentlemen, I am deeply honored to stand before you this morning as the nominee for Secretary of State. I am deeply grateful for the trust President-elect Nelson Rockefeller has placed in me. I look forward in working with the new president, his whole team, the cabinet and the congress to the benefit of our great nation. I look forward to meet with senators from both sides of the aisle in the coming days to discuss the confirmation process and America?s role in the world. I will also meet with Secretary Katzenbach and his staff later today to ensure a swift transition at the State Department. Every American should know that the whole Rockefeller team, including myself, is taking this responsibity seriously. So, thank you again and now we are ready to take any questions.

REPORTER I: Mr. Nixon, did you expect to be offered this position? I mean, you were engaged in the campaign for President-elect Rockefeller. Is this the reward?

RICHARD NIXON: No, believe it or not, I have not anticipated any job offer and didn't ask for it. The only thing I told the president-elect on November the eight is that I would be open to give any advice he needs and that I want to be helpful in the transition wherever I can. Keep in mind that any former presidential candidate has not just friends in Washington [laughther goes through the room] , and nevertheless, the president-elect has decided to stick with me anyway. I appreciate that very much and will work hard to earn the trust of the senate, the American people and - later on - foreign leaders to advance the American cause.

REPORTER II: My question goes to President-elect Rockefeller: Sir, although Mr. Nixon has been cleared of any missdoings in the 1968 election, don't you find the nomination poses a risk for your incoming administration? I am referring to the Chennault case, of course. It is not hard to imigine that any new administration has more important tasks to do rather than to fight for senate confirmation of the Secretary of State candidate? Or what is your stance on that, Sir?

PRESIDENT-ELECT ROCKEFELLER: No, I don't regard this as a problem. As you said, Dick has been cleared of any charges and missbehavior. It may have been a mistake to employ certain individuals in retrospect, but we all do mistakes. Don't expect me to be a perfect president. I won't be one and never said I would be. Nobody ever will. The job of the senate members in this process is to evaluate, independently, whether Richard Milhous Nixon is fit to serve as Secretary of State. Whether he has the knowledge, the compassion and the competence to be America's voice in the world and lead the State Department bureuacracy effectively. I have the believe that he is uniquely qualified to take over this job. I expect the senate to approve the nomination very quickly after the inauguration, as Dick will soon meet with senators for direct conversations. He will be avaiable for any questions to our senators.

REPORTER III: I have one more question for Mr. Nixon. Mr. Nixon, how do you regard your role in the administration if confirmed? What do you stand for?

RICHARD NIXON: My role will be to implement President-elect Rockefeller's policies and advise him on all questions on foreign affairs. I want to make sure that America stands for freedom and democracy in the world and be a champion for peace. I look forward to continue talks with our allies in particular, Moscow, Beijing and others as well. We want partnership and stability with everyone. But not at any price, we are also determined to fight for our cause where necessary. Thank you.

PRESIDENT-ELECT ROCKEFELLER: Thank you guys. Have a nice day.

Mixed reactions

Congressional Republicans mainly praised Richard Nixon's selection as Secretary of State, though the conservatives hoped for Ronald Reagan's nomination. Incoming Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey said he has some questions for Richard Nixon on a wide range of issues, including his "integrity to serve". However, he emphasized to be open-minded and is scheduled to meet with Nixon in person on January 2. Pacifist Senator George McGovern (D-SD) already said he would vote against Nixon's confirmation. Immediately after, Attorney General nominee Spiro Agnew already stroke back when he accused McGovern of "ideological obstructionism."

The U.S. press was divided on the nomination. The Washington Post titled that "Tricky Dick is back on stage" and described his nomination as "risky", while others pointed out that Richard Nixon had a lot of credentials on foreign policy. It was also noted that with Nixon, Romney, Kissinger and Scranton in charge of foreign policy, the administration was expected to speak with one voice. The Chicago Tribune wrote: "Richard Nixon will not just be a stronger Secretary of State than Ronald Reagan because he has far more foreign policy expertise, but also because every foreign leader can be certain that he speaks for President Rockefeller. With Reagan, that would have been questionable, since both stand for very different policy approaches. That would have weakened his [Reagan's] position. Dick Nixon is more in line with the detente policy on one hand, and on the other hand he can't be accused for being weak on communism either. His nomination may be a little controversial given his past, but overall he is a very bold and strong choice."

The international press was mainly positive, pointing out that Nixon not just stands for some continuity, but that he is also a rational and professional choice.

Insiders: Reagan not picked for differences on Latin America

It didn't take long for reports to come out why Ronald Reagan was snubbed, after indications strongly pointed in the direction that he would be picked over the last few days. On December 31, the New York Times wrote that not detente in general, military spending or Vietnam are responsible for the decision to chose Nixon. It was Latin America policy. President-elect Rockefeller, who is very interested in the region since he served as Latin America coordinator under President Franklin Roosevelt, is committed to be actively engaged in Middle America. He favors negotiations to give the Panama Canal back to Panama. President Johnson already indicated this was a serious option after a diplomatic crisis in early 1964. Since then, a majority of Democrats and moderate/liberal Republicans are in favor of such negotiations, while conservatives like Barry Goldwater strongly oppose such a move. They regard it as a "give-away", pointing out that United States built and paid for the important waterway. Accordingly, President-elect Rockefeller decided to offer the nomination to someone supportive of the negotiations. Finding that Richard Nixon has similar views on foreign policy and his deep interest in world affairs ultimately brought him the job. Nixon was also very loyal to Rocky on the campaign trail and the key player in securing the Republican nomination on the convention floor. Out of office since 1961 and following two unsuccessful bids for the White House, the nomination was a perfect opportunity for Nixon to get back on stage. Nelson Rockefeller for his part seemed ready to take the risk that the nomination might pose on Capitol Hill. Nevertheless, political observers are quite confident that Nixon will win confirmation easily with few more nay-votes than usual.

January 3, 1973: 93rd Congress convenes, certifies electoral college results and elects three new leaders

Congressman John Jacob Rhodes of Arizona has been elected House Republican Leader to replace Vice President-elect Gerald Ford

On Wednesday, January 3, the 93rd Congress assembled for the first time. The first action was confirm the electoral college results from the November presidential election that were sent to Washington after the members of the Electoral College from each state cast their ballots in December. Outgoing Vice President Robert Kennedy, in his role as senate president, had the "painful duty" to certify and announce the final results. There were no unfaithful electors on either side and the Rockefeller/Ford ticket was now formally elected with 275 electoral votes.

On both sides, new leaders also had to be elected. The Democrats chose Hubert Humphrey as Senate Majority Leader to succeed Mike Mansfield with only one vote against. In the House, Democrats also had to pick a new Majority Leader after the death of Hale Boggs in the previous fall. The post went to Tip O'Neill from Massachusetts, who would be the second most powerful Democrat in the House after Speaker Carl Albert of Oklahoma. The House Republicans elected John Jacob Rhodes of Arizona to replace Vice President-elect Gerald Ford, who resigned his seat the next day, as their leader.

Congressional Leadership:
Senate President: Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY) (until January 20, 1973), Gerald R. Ford (R-MI) (starting January 20, 1973)
Senate Majority Leader: Hubert H. Humphrey (D-MN)
Senate Minority Leader: Hugh Scott (R-PA)

Speaker of the House: Carl Albert (D-OK)
House Majority Leader: Tip O?Neill (D-MA) (replacing deceased Hale Boggs)
House Minority Leader: Gerald R. Ford (R-MI) (until January 4, 1973), John Jacob Rhodes (R-AZ) (starting January 5, 1973)

NEXT: Completion of the Rockefeller Administration and President Lyndon Johnson's farewell address. Stay tuned!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: March 04, 2018, 05:25:54 AM »

January 6, 1973: President Johnson issues hundreds of pardons; grants clemency to Haldeman and Ehrlichman, expels Chennault

On January 6, 1973, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed hundreds of pardons as one of his last acts in office. He granted clemency to a selected group of draft dodgers (an issue that is still unsolved overall), non-violent drug offenders in the U.S. Army and other individuals imprisoned for misbehavior in public offices.

Former Nixon campaign aides H.R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman were found guilty of attempting to sabotage the Vietnam peace talks in 1970 and subsequently went to prison. Co-conspirator and contactperson to the South Vietnamese government Anna Chennault was also sentenced to prison. President Lyndon Johnson now decided to grant an executive pardon that allows Haldeman and Ehrlichman to be released from prison by April this year. Chennault was also pardoned but is, under the president's order, required to leave the United States within 60 days after release.

January 9, 1973: President-elect Rockefeller keeps Joseph Barr as Treasury Secretary

Secretary of the Treasury Joseph Barr has accepted Nelson Rockefeller's offer to stay in office. He served under LBJ since late 1968.

President-elect Rockefeller's choice for the Treasury Department was hardly forseeable. When asked on New Year's Day, he joked about naming his brother David, the Manhattan Investment Banker, but a 1967 law prohibits presidents from appointing family members into the cabinet (as President Kennedy did by giving the Justice Department to Bobby Kennedy). On January 9, the president-elect's office confirmed that incumbent Treasury Secretary Joseph W. Barr would retain his post. Barr, a Democrat, has served under President Lyndon Johnson since December 1968.

January 12, 1973: Final cabinet appointment: progressive Southern Democrat chosen for HUD

Nobody saw this coming: Former Atlanta Mayor, businessman and civil rights advocate Ivan Allen Jr., a progressive Democrat, is Rocky's choice for HUD Secretary.

January 12, eight days before the inauguration, saw the completion of the Rockefeller cabinet. The Housing and Urban Development Secretary was the last cabinet position that had to be filled. And it was a huge surprise: Former Atlanta Mayor, businessman and civil-rights activist Ivan Allen Jr. has been selected to become President Rockefeller's Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. Upon the annoucement event Nelson Rockefeller remarked: "I have determined that Mr. Allen is the very best choice for the HUD Department. He has a tremendous record on civil rights and is familiar with urban development and urban problems. With his experience in local government and business, Mayor Allen will oversee a federal housing program that I intend to implement as president. With his proud civil rights record, the mayor is uniquely qualified to oversee the implementation of fair housing legislation to make sure every American is able to participate in our society."

Allen's nomination was extremely well received among the liberal press and civil rights activists and underlined Rocky's commitment to civil rights. Allen, a progressive Southern Democrat, originally supported Bobby Kennedy in the 1972 election and is a passionate opponent of Lester Maddox (he also ran unsuccessfully for Georgia governor). Senate Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey spoke of an "excellent appointment" and even most congressional Republicans were supportive in public. Only a minor faction among the conservative Democrats were less joyful about the nomination. Allen thanked the president-elect for his confidence and said he would be delighted to work across the aisle to bring about positive changes for urban areas in America.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »

President Lyndon B. Johnson’s Farewell Address; January 14, 1973

Six days before his term would expire, President Lyndon B. Johnson gave his Farewell Address to America and the world. Originally scheduled as a live televised appearance from the Oval Office, LBJ in the last minute decided to give a speech before a larger audience. As civil rights was a defining issue of his presidency, several civil-rights leaders were participated to the event.

The president was welcomed by a cheering crowd when he entered the stage.

PRESIDENT JOHNSON: Ladies and Gentlemen, distinguished guests and my fellow Americans: Tonight, for the final time I directly speak to you as your president. I want to use this opportunity to talk about challenges and opportunities – and about the commitments that all of us have made together that will, if we carry them out, give America our best chance to achieve the kind of great society that we all want. In the past twelve years, we have made unimaginable progress on many fields. We made gigantic steps toward more justice for all Americans, protected civil and voting rights, lifted millions out of poverty, landed a man on the moon and made the world more safe with a comprehensive disarmament treaty. […]

Unfortunately, with one administration leaving, not all problems are gone that this very administration intended to fix. We still have a lot to do. First, we have to make sure that every American has access to quality healthcare. Healthcare must be a right for all, not a privilege of the few. We came much closer to this goal with the two major pieces of legislation I signed into law in 1965 and 1969. And I am really proud of it. But this fight must go on and never stop, never rest, before we have achieved it. And, I am sure, it will go on, because I believe in you. Second, we have to make sure that any discrimination because of race, age, sex or background is not just eliminated in statute books. It also needs an effort by the civic society across America to end hatred and intolerance and give everyone the chance to live in economic and social safety. We must learn to love each other like brothers and sisters. As the great late Abraham Lincoln once said, a house divided against itsself cannot stand. But remember, politicans alone are unable to reslove this issue and law can only provide the framework for a peaceful America. Real change has to start in our hearts and minds. Third, we have to continue to be an active player at the world stage and stand for peace, freedom and democracy. At the forefront of this effort have to be negotiations with all nations in the world, including advisories, to make our world a more safe one. […]

The greatest disappointment has been the war in Vietnam. Although we have been successful in preserving South Vietnam’s sovereignty and reached a peace agreement, America will never forget than thousands of its brave sons and daughters who were fallen in this conflict. We ought never to forget their sacrifice and the loss of their loved-ones. Their love of country will live on forever in America’s heart. As will Doctor King, who paid the ultimate price for his commitment. America will always be grateful to these warriors for good and their sacrafice is and will always remain inspiration for all of us and the generations to come.

Nevertheless, after nine years in the Oval Office, I can gladly report that, despite all challenges, America is in better shape than we found it. Late President Kennedy challenged Americans to explore new frontiers when he assumed office twelve years ago. After the sorrow and turmoil following his tragic death, I asked the American people to give me their trust and confidence. “Let us continue”, I urged. And we did continue. I am proud of all that we have achieved together. Therefore, I want to use this opportunity once more to thank all who contributed to our success. First, the two outstanding men who served as vice president during my administration. Hubert Humphrey and Bobby Kennedy. Two of our very finest. I am very grateful for the opportunity I had to work with them. Let me also thank the congress, the cabinet and the White House staff for their service to our nation and our cause. Without their efforts, we could not have been as successful as we were. Being your president for nearly a decade has been the honor of life and I shall never forget all the millions who trusted, and sometimes criticized me – for good or worse. Now, that this amazing period is coming to a close, Lady Bird and I will return to the place we proudly call home: Texas Hill Country. But be assured that I shall be available for any advice or and task my fellow countrymen ask for. I also shall be outspoken in the issues I care about: justice, fighting poverty and civil rights.

For America, a new chapter is to begin in just six days. New leaders are called on duty to meet both current and new challenges. Crisis will emerge when we feel safe the most and test our leadership and determination. But in the end, all these challenges will make us stronger and give Americans reason to believe in ourselves and our strengths, that we can meet any challenge. As we have done in all of our proud history. For this new challenges, I wish Nelson Rockefeller and his team all the best that he will be successful in leading America. And I hope you give him your trust and confidence as well, because only then he will succeed and elevate this great nation of ours to higher grounds.

Thank you all again, God bless you and God bless the United States of America!

[Standing ovations, applause]

The president's farewell address was received well among the press and Americans in general. A final Gallup survey, released on January 15, gave President Johnson a 63% approval rating. A number he last reached in 1966. The fact that LBJ invited several civil rights leaders was seen as a sign that he plans to be engaged in the civil rights struggle as Vice President Kennedy just said he would do. However, the main priority for the 36th president is going to be the construction of a presidential library in Texas that is soon to begin.

January 16, 1973: Nelson Rockefeller formally resigns as Governor of New York, Malcolm Wilson sworn in

Malcolm Wilson (r) takes the oath of office as 50th Governor of New York, as President-elect Nelson Rockefeller, who resigned from the post, looks on

Four days before his inauguration as president, Nelson Rockefeller formally resigned the New York governorship, a post he held and shaped since 1959. Lieutenant Governor and Rockefeller protege Malcolm Wilson was subsequently sworn in as chief executive of the Empire State. He would serve out the ongoing term to January 1, 1975, with the prospect for reelection to full four year term in November 1974. As long as Wilson would be in the governor's chair of the second largest U.S. state in terms of population, he would be a reliable ally for the Rockefeller White House.

January 19, 1973: Final preparations for the inauguration

The Inaugural Committee
requests the honor of your presence
to attend and participate in the Inauguration of

Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller
as President of the United States of America

and

Gerald Rudolph Ford
as Vice President of the United States of America

on Saturday, the twentieth of January
one thousand nine hundred and seventy-three
in the City of Washington