The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:34:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 35
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 106752 times)
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2018, 09:32:25 AM »

Rockfeller seems likely to win, and I'd probably be fine with that if I was alive then. Still, go RFK!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2018, 11:05:59 AM by President Johnson »

October 22, 1972

★★★ THE SECOND PRESIDENTIAL DEBATE ★★★

★★★ Robert F. Kennedy vs. Nelson Rockefeller ★★★

Highlights of the debate

HOWARD K. SMITH: Good evening ladies and gentlemen for the second and final presidential debate of the 1972 presidential election. I’m Howard K. Smith of ABC News, your moderator for tonight. We are live from St. Louis, Missouri. This debate is in the format of a townhall, where selected voters directly ask questions to the candidates. As moderator, I shall intervene if necessary or for a follow-up question. Now let us welcome to two major candidates in this election: Welcome Vice President Robert F. Kennedy, the Democratic nominee. [Applause]. And welcome Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller, the Republican nominee. [Applause] Welcome to you both, and let us begin. The first question is from the gentleman over there with the red tie, and it goes to the vice president.

MAN I: Mr. Vice President, thank you for being here tonight. Just recently, there were reports upon a relationship between you and late Marilyn Monroe ten years ago. You said they were not true. I believe you. But I would like to know whether you would publically admit mistakes as president?

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: Thank you. Of course I will admit mistakes. And I will make them, just like everyone else does, especially if you are in such an important position. But we ought to learn from mistakes and do better next time. In the case of this reports that came out recently, I have nothing to apologize for, because I did nothing wrong. I find it sad when certain Republican circles try to spread such false rumors, although I know that Governor Rockefeller has not initiated this.

HOWARD K. SMITH: Same question to you, Governor Rockefeller.

GOVERNOR ROCKEFELLER: Would I admit mistakes? I would absolutely, yes. Because I trust the American people. However, that also depends on the situation itself. Because on certain occasions, it can weaken the American position in the world if the president makes himself vulnerable. Therefore each situation has to be studied in advance.

HOWARD K. SMITH: Do you want to comment on the Monroe reports, governor?

GOVERNOR ROCKEFELLER: No, I have no comment. I also do not approve the publication. The Rockefeller/Ford campaign is about improving people’s lives and securing world peace, not about personal issues. I think Vice President Kennedy is an honorable man.

HOWARD K. SMITH: The next question is for the governor and from that lady over there.

WOMAN I: Governor Rockefeller, you spoke about improving life conditions for women and ending discrimination against women. I want to thank you for being passionate about this issue, but would like to know what specific policies you propose to reach this goal?

GOVERNOR ROCKEFELLER: Good question! First, let me say that a president or the federal government can implement certain policies, but that all discrimination won’t go away without an effort by all citizens and local authorities. What I want to do as president is the enactment of an improved equal pay law and legislation to protect women from violence. I am also in favor an equal rights amendment to the constitution. In addition, the federal government’s executive branch should live by example. As president, I will appoint more women to important positions and would also consider a woman for the Supreme Court if given the opportunity to nominate a person for our highest court. My wife Happy is also passionate about that issue and I’m sure she will come up with additional proposals that as president I will support.

HOWARD K. SMITH: Vice President Kennedy, how do you answer that question?

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: Throughout my whole career I have been devoted to equal rights for everyone, women, blacks and other minorities. I think that the Kennedy/Johnson years have an unprecedented record on equal rights and I want to continue this struggle. I have to say that I endorse all things Governor Rockefeller just outlined as well. Additionally, I propose a jobs training program for women, what would give a lot of women more financial safety and benefit our economy through their talent. For this reason, it also important that we expand federal aid to education, that was first passed by President Johnson in 1965.

HOWARD K. SMITH: The next question is from the gentleman over there. It is for Vice President Kennedy.

MAN II: Vice President Kennedy, my family are German immigrants. We still have relatives in East Germany, but visiting them is still very difficult. Would you, as president, be willing to normalize relations with East Germany and other satellite states of the USSR? And why hasn’t that been subject to the talks between the Johnson Administration and Moscow?

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: Well, I would like to have a normal relationship with any country in the world. However, as you understand for sure, that is only possible under certain conditions. The door to the communist world has been opened in direct consultations in late 1968 with President Johnson’s state visit in Moscow. The West German government under Chancellor Brandt has also taken action to normalize relations. That doesn’t come overnight and I fully understand that it is hard if family relations fall victim to foreign policy affairs.

MAN II: So, you can’t say what you will do, Sir?

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: Well, I will seek to continue the talks with the USSR and other countries behind the iron curtain. But at the same time we have to make sure that countries who want normal relations with us behave a certain way. For example, our citizens must be protected from arbitrarily imprisonment when they enter their territory. I wish I could give you a better answer with your family, but hope you understand that.

MAN II: I do, thank you.

HOWARD K. SMITH: Governor Rockefeller?

GOVERNOR ROCKEFELLER: What the vice president said that certain conditions must be fulfilled for other nations to normalize relations is correct. Nevertheless, we must be outspoken against a country that locks its citizens up behind a wall because their leaders are afraid to lose their power. We ought not to normalize this kind of tyranny.

[…]

HOWARD K. SMITH: Our last question is from the woman right there with the yellow shirt. Go ahead, madam.

WOMAN II: My question, to each of you, is plain and simple: If elected president, what would be your first executive action?

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: My very first action would an executive order that future government jobs can only be assigned to firms who pay the minimum wage of 2.50 dollars per hour. Right afterwards, I will introduce a new version of the Fair Labor Standards Act to increase the minimum wage to this amount.  

GOVERNOR ROCKEFELLER: If given the honor to serve as 37th president, I will issue an executive order on January 20, 1973 donating my entire presidential salary to sick children. I have enough money, I won’t take a salary and won’t take a pension.

HOWARD K. SMITH: Thank you both very much for your appearance here today and thanks to our viewers. Good night, and please vote on November the seventh.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #177 on: February 06, 2018, 11:45:08 AM »

October 23, 1972

Post-debate polls: Bobby Kennedy ahead

The second presidential debate was a success for Bobby Kennedy, according to the most recent poll. After viewers saw Nelson Rockefeller as clear winner of the first on air contest and Gerald Ford performed well in the vice presidential debate, the Kennedy camp has every reason to be pleased with polling results of this townhall discussion.

Q: Who you think won the debate over all?
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 54%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 39%
Undecided or tie: 7%

Q: Who you regard as more comptenent to be president after the townhall debate?
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 47%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 44%
Undecided or tie: 9%

Q: Who did you find more likeable as a person?
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy: 55%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller: 37%
Undecided or tie: 8%

The closing days of October

With no more debates to be held, the candidates and their prominent supporters were almost 24/7 on the campaign trail. The Rockefeller team heavily turned its focus on California now. Governor Ronald Reagan increased the number of appearances in his homestate, knowing it might be tipping point. On October 24, the Rockefeller campaign made a strategic decision by involving Richard Nixon into the California campaign, appointing him campaign chair (previous chair, former Senator Thomas Kuchel was named his deputy). Nixon previously headed the campaign effort in Florida, but Rocky felt comfortable that the Sunshine state would be in his column (as polls suggest) and that the former vice president’s knowledge and political skills were more needed in his original homestate at the West coast.

Nelson Rockefeller speaking to a crowd in Santa Barbara, California; October 27, 1972

Governor Ronald Reagan gives a speech in Bakersfield, California, on behalf of Nelson Rockefeller and Republican congressional candidates; October 28, 1972

On the Democratic side, Bobby Kennedy focused heavily on New York, a state he absolutely needs, especially if California goes Republican. He also made several campaign stumps in North Carolina, Georgia, Missouri and Texas. In the latter, President Johnson and his political machine were actively engaged to secure the Lone Star State for his vice president. The president also toured North and South Carolina as well as Georgia in joint appearances with vice presidential nominee Jimmy Carter and Alabama Governor Albert Brewer. A dispute came at a Chicago rally, when Mayor and political boss Richard J. Daley refused to campaign with Bobby Kennedy. Both had long disliked each other and even a reported phone call by the president couldn’t change Daley’s mind. Instead, the vice president got help from his former rival and predecessor in the vice presidency: Senator Hubert Humphrey was frequently at RFK’s side, especially in the mid-west, which proved to be a pivotal region as several states were extremely close. Illinois, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania and Michigan were on top of the Democrats' targeted states. Interesting was that classical bellwether state Ohio seemed not so much contested after polls showed a sizeable Rockefeller lead. On October 28, an unnamed source claimed the Kennedy campaign had given up on Ohio. A spokeswoman of campaign declined to deny the report.

RFK on the campaign trail in Detriot, Michigan; October 29, 1972

President Johnson speaks with the press at a North Carolina rally for Bobby Kennedy; October 30, 1972

On the issues, both sides mainly sticked to their messages and the Monroe story seemingly faded away since Nelson Rockefeller refrained from any personal attacks against his opponent. The only one who wanted to use the story for political gain was Lester Maddox, whose campaign lacked media coverage. Maddox in response repeatedly accused the media of dishonesty and a bias against him. Nevertheless, it seemed as the former Georgia governor would carry Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana with a plurality of the vote. In South Carolina, he was tied with Bobby Kennedy and Georgia seemed to vote Democratic thanks to Jimmy Carter. In addition, Maddox was expected to reach double digits in some other southern states. Although some political observers still expressed concern the Maddox/Mahoney campaign would throw the presidential election in the House of Representatives, a New York Times analyst wrote the chances were, according to his calculations, below 10%, while Bobby Kennedy would have a 50% chance to win 270 electoral votes. He subsequently gave Nelson Rockefeller a 40% chance to garner 270 or more electoral votes on election day.

Lester Maddox, running as the anti-establishment candidate, is still playing dirty on his opponents, especially on Robert Kennedy
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2018, 05:59:02 AM »

October 31, 1972: New polls are out! Released by Gallup

The second last poll release before election day again shows a dead heat between the two major candidates. After falling back in recent weeks, Bobby Kennedy regains some support. The state-by-state surverys remain extremly close and flexible what makes a serious prediction for November 7 very tough. Meanwhile, President Lyndon Johnson seems to finish his White House tenure with robust numbers.

President Johnson job approval
Approve: 56%
Disapprove: 37%

General election match-ups
Robert F. Kennedy: 48%
Nelson Rockefeller: 47%

Nelson Rockefeller: 45%
Robert F. Kennedy: 45%
Lester Maddox: 6%

Polls by states

Arkansas
Robert F. Kennedy: 35%
Nelson Rockefeller: 35%
Lester Maddox: 21%

California
Robert F. Kennedy: 46%
Lester Maddox: 1%

Colorado
Nelson Rockefeller: 50%
Robert F. Kennedy: 41%
Lester Maddox: 2%

Delaware
Robert F. Kennedy: 43%
Lester Maddox: 4%

Florida
Nelson Rockefeller: 43%
Robert F. Kennedy: 38%
Lester Maddox: 10%

Georgia
Robert F. Kennedy: 38%
Lester Maddox: 29%
Nelson Rockefeller: 28%

Hawaii
Robert F. Kennedy: 55%
Lester Maddox: <1%

Illinois
Robert F. Kennedy: 44%
Lester Maddox: 3%

Iowa

Kentucky
Nelson Rockefeller: 40%
Robert F. Kennedy: 37%
Lester Maddox: 19%

Maryland
Robert F. Kennedy: 47%
Lester Maddox: 9%

Michigan

Missouri
Nelson Rockefeller: 44%
Robert F. Kennedy: 40%
Lester Maddox: 7%

New Jersey

New York

North Carolina

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon
Nelson Rockefeller: 48%

Pennsylvania

South Carolina
Robert F. Kennedy: 35%
Lester Maddox: 32%
Nelson Rockefeller: 29%

Tennessee
Nelson Rockefeller: 35%
Lester Maddox: 20%

Texas
Nelson Rockefeller: 42%
Lester Maddox: 7%

Virginia
Robert F. Kennedy: 39%
Lester Maddox: 11%

West Virginia
Robert F. Kennedy: 50%
Nelson Rockefeller: 41%
Lester Maddox: 5%

Wisconsin

The current polling map by state (in states that weren't polled this time, the previous numbers or partisan leaning are used):

Robert F. Kennedy: 254 electoral votes
Nelson Rockefeller: 252 electoral votes
Lester Maddox: 26 electoral votes
Tied: 6 electoral votes

Light blue/red = lead within 5%
Standard blue/red = lead between 5% and 10%
Dark blue/red = Double digit lead

1972 congressional elections – generic ballot

For which candidate would you vote in the congressional elections?

Democrat: 47%
Republican: 44%

America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #179 on: February 07, 2018, 09:31:51 AM »

I'm predicting a narrow Rockfeller victory, but this is going to be tense. On the one hand an election thrown to congress would be fun, but dealing the Dixiecrats a deathblow would be even more fun- so since AL, LA and MS weren't polled, I'm still hoping that the New South Democrats like Albert Brewer will prevail and give RFK a win in the south Tongue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #180 on: February 07, 2018, 01:44:05 PM »

I'm predicting a narrow Rockfeller victory, but this is going to be tense. On the one hand an election thrown to congress would be fun, but dealing the Dixiecrats a deathblow would be even more fun- so since AL, LA and MS weren't polled, I'm still hoping that the New South Democrats like Albert Brewer will prevail and give RFK a win in the south Tongue

They will be polled in the final round just before election day. Tongue But polls are polls, we'll see what happens on election night (with legendary Walter Cronkite), which I intend to begin within the next few days.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2018, 06:50:34 AM »

November 1, 1972

BREAKING: RFK briefly hospitalized after apparent collapse after Texas rally

BREAKING NEWS: As members of the Kennedy campaign just officially confirmed, the vice president collapsed right after a campaign rally in Austin, Texas. The collapse occurred backstage after he finished a 45 minute speech, the third on this day on his tour through the Lone Star state. President Lyndon Johnson and Senator Lloyd Bentsen joined the Democratic nominee on his trip. Immediately after, the Secret Service took care of the situation and the vice president was hospitalized for four hours. As insiders said, the collapse was caused by a late consequence of the attempted assassination in June 1968, where then-candidate Kennedy was hit and had to rest for several weeks (afterwards he ended his campaign and became LBJ's running mate). Robert Kennedy was released in the evening hours and left the hospital building through a secret backdoor.

First reports of this afternoon falsely claimed that it was President Johnson who was hospitalized after suffering another heart attack. Obviously the presidential convoy created some confusion at the hospital. That was quickly debunked and a White House spokesman criticized the reporting.

Nelson Rockefeller sends good wishes

Immediately after the news of RFK's collapse broke, Governor Rockefeller expressed his good wishes for his opponent and said, he hoped that the vice president could return quickly to the campaign trail. His running mate Gerald Ford remarked the incident should not be politicalized and urged other Republicans to refrain from negative comments. Bobby Kennedy publically thanked Rocky for his notes and described him as a "decent man".

November 2, 1972: RFK back on stage

As nothing happend: Bobby Kennedy back on stage, here in San Diego, California; November 3, 1972

On November 2, RFK was back on tour in Oklahoma and later California and thanked supporters for their good wishes. However, he didn't address health issues in his speeches after one of his doctors affirmed the public, he would be healthy enough to serve as president under immense stress.

New York Times: "A remarkable fair campaign"

In light of RFK's brief hospitalization, a New York Times editorial described the 1972 election as a remarkable fair campaign, referring to Bobby Kennedy's and Nelson Rockefeller's behavior. "It never became something personal between the two major nominees", the article reads. And finished with the phrase: "Whoever wins this election, America's next president and vice president are going to be two men of great integrity, what will be beneficial for the American cause at home and abroad".

November 5, 1972: FINAL POLLS are out! Released by Gallup

Two days before election day, the last polls were released and still show a close race. The undecided numbers are at an all-time low.

While RFK has regained a small lead in California, New York is again exactly tied. As is Connecticut, for the first time in this campaign. In the South, Lester Maddox' lead has almost been eaten up thanks to Jimmy Carter and Albert Brewer. In Florida, the efforts of Governor Reubin Askew paid off as Rocky's lead dropped. The opposite is true in Arkansas, where the GOP candidate is ahead again. Meanwhile, Michigan and Wisconsin remain very close. In the latter, Nelson Rockefeller regained a small lead, while Bobby Kennedy improved his numbers in Ohio after deciding to resume campaign ads and campaign stops by Hubert Humphrey.

General election match-ups

Polls by states

Alabama
Lester Maddox: 36%
Robert F. Kennedy: 32%
Nelson Rockefeller: 27%

Arkansas
Nelson Rockefeller: 36%
Robert F. Kennedy: 33%
Lester Maddox: 22%

California

Connecticut

Delaware

Florida
Lester Maddox: 11%

Georgia
Robert F. Kennedy: 39%
Lester Maddox: 32%

Illinois

Indiana
Nelson Rockefeller: 51%

Iowa
Nelson Rockefeller: 49%

Kentucky
Nelson Rockefeller: 42%
Lester Maddox: 16%

Lousiana
Lester Maddox: 36%
Robert F. Kennedy: 34%
Nelson Rockefeller: 26%

Maryland
Lester Maddox: 10%

Michigan

Mississippi
Lester Maddox: 41%
Robert F. Kennedy: 32%
Nelson Rockefeller: 25%

Missouri
Nelson Rockefeller: 46%
Lester Maddox: 8%

New Jersey

New York

North Carolina
Nelson Rockefeller: 41%

Ohio
Nelson Rockefeller: 50%

Oklahoma
Lester Maddox: 4%

Pennsylvania
Robert F. Kennedy: 49%

South Carolina
Robert F. Kennedy: 36%
Lester Maddox: 34%

Tennessee
Robert F. Kennedy: 41%
Nelson Rockefeller: 38%
Lester Maddox: 19%

Texas

Virginia
Lester Maddox: 13%

Washington state

Wisconsin

The current polling map by state (in states that weren't polled this time, the previous numbers or partisan leaning are used):

Nelson Rockefeller: 238 electoral votes
Robert F. Kennedy: 222 electoral votes
Lester Maddox: 26 electoral votes
Tied: 52 electoral votes

Light blue/red = lead within 5%
Standard blue/red = lead between 5% and 10%
Dark blue/red = Double digit lead

November 6, 1972: Candidates finish campaigns, spend election day in New York

November 6, 1972: Nelson Rockefeller's last rally in Newark, New Jersey

This Monday, both major candidates finished their long and hard campaigns in New York City. RFK's last campaign stump was in the Bronx with his running mate Jimmy Carter, President Johnson (who later flew back to Texas) and Hubert Humphrey. Nelson Rockefeller's last campaign event was across the Hudson River in Newark, New Jersey with Gerald Ford and George Romney. The last poll has him regaining a small lead in this pivotal state. Kennedy then returned to his election night party at Madison Square Garden. Rocky was just a few blocks away: At the Rockefeller Center, where he would spend election day with his running mate (who briefly returned to Michigan to cast his vote) and the entire Rockefeller family.

★★★ NEXT: ELECTION NIGHT on CBS!! Stay tuned! ★★★
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2018, 06:23:37 AM »

★★★ United States presidential election –
Tuesday, November 7, 1972 ★★★

CBS News Coverage of Election night 1972. With legendary Walter Cronkite.

WALTER CRONKITE: Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen. It is my pleasure to welcome you to our CBS News coverage of the 1972 United States presdiential election. After more than a year of intense campaigning, we are finnally at the decision point. Who will lead America into its bicentennial? Vice President and Democratic nominee Robert F. Kennedy or Governor and Republican nominee Nelson Rockefeller? Will the Democratic Party retain the White House for a fourth consecutive term or will Nelson Rockefeller reclaim the Oval Office for the Republican Party? Will he accomplish what Richard Nixon failed twice? Tonight, we will find out. One thing is clear: The election is expected to be very close and we have a slim chance third-party candidate Lester Maddox will win enough electoral votes in the South to prevent an outright majority of 270 votes.

We begin our program with a short look at the poll closing times in each states:

I also want to show you the blank electoral map for this election. All the gray will be filled with color tonight. States carried by the Democratic ticket of Robert F. Kennedy and Jimmy Carter will be red, states won by the Republican ticket of Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford will be displayed in blue. States won by American Independent Party candidates Lester Maddox and George Mahoney will be shaded in yellow. States whose polls have closed, but are too close or early to call will be painted in green.

Now, we take a short break before the first results will come in. Stay with us.

6 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: Welcome back to our program. It is now six o'clock here in Washington DC and the polls in the first states have closed. These are Kentucky and Indiana. While Kentucky is too early too call and expected to be close, we can already say with confidence that Nelson Rockefeller has won the state of Indiana and its 13 electoral votes. So, Governor Rockefeller picks up the first votes tonight.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 13 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 0 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 0 EV.
Too close/early to call: 9 EV.

7 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: Good evening America, welcome back to CBS News election night coverage. It's been an hour since polls closed in Indiana and Kentucky. And while we projected Nelson Rockefeller would win Indiana, we still can't call Kentucky. Our men and women out there report that Lester Maddox has taken about twenty percent of the votes while Governor Rockefeller is slightly ahead. We'll see if that trend continues. [...] But now: polls closed in Vermont, Virginia, Georgia, South Carolina and Florida. So far, we can only project Nelson Rockefeller the winner in Vermont. This is a typical New England state that likes liberal Republicans. No wonder that Nelson Rockefeller is so much ahead that we already give him the state. Interesting to watch will be Georgia, homestate of Jimmy Carter and Lester Maddox. Our first numbers show the Democratic ticket ahead. This is encouraging news for Team Kennedy! We take a short break here.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 16 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 0 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 0 EV.
Too close/early to call: 58 EV.

7.30 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: It's 7.30 p.m. and we're back with our program. While we still can't call any of the states polls closed in the past 90 minutes, we can add important battlegrounds North Carolina and Ohio to the too early column. Another states polls just closed is West Virginia. We can already declare Bobby Kennedy the winner in this state. He wins his first six electoral votes. That was also the first state we called for President Johnson four years ago, but West Virginia lost one elector following the 1970 census.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 16 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 6 EV.
Too close/early to call: 96 EV.

7.53 p.m. – BREAKING: ROCKEFELLER CAPTURES KENTUCKY!

WALTER CRONKITE: And we have our first extraordinary state call between any poll closings! We join the colleagues from ABC News and call the state of Kentucky for Nelson Rockefeller, who apparantly won by a plurality. The polls were right in Kentucky and we award the nine votes up for grabs to the Rockefeller/Ford camp, that has now won 25 votes in total. Very important victory for the Republican ticket. [...] Now, es we near eight o'clock, a lot major states will close their polls. Stay with us after a short break!

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 25 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 6 EV.
Too close/early to call: 87 EV.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #183 on: February 13, 2018, 10:16:04 AM »

I (also) expect Rockefeller to pull this off and would have been fine with it, had I been alive. Though I'd support RFK with enthusiasm. Go RFK!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #184 on: February 13, 2018, 03:05:15 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2018, 03:09:46 PM by President Johnson »

★★★ CBS News Election Coverage continues. With Walter Cronkite ★★★

8 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: We continue our program of coverage of election night 1972. At eight p.m. we have polls closing in several states, including a handful of battlegrounds, where a large junk of electoral votes are at stake. I’d like to begin in New England, where four projections can already be made: First, the state of New Hampshire. A bastion of liberal and moderate Republicans: Nelson Rockefeller carries the state with over 55% of the vote. The same in Maine, where the governor is also that much ahead, that we can award these electoral votes to him. Massachusetts is different: Vice President Kennedy wins his original homestate by a fair margin. These 14 electoral votes go into the Kennedy/Carter column. We also have a projection for Rhode Island: The Democratic ticket is winning easily. Nevertheless, we still don’t have a winner in Connecticut. Nelson Rockefeller is just behind by a single point with about seventy percent in. That turns out to be closer than expected. It would be an upset if Rocky manages to win here.

Polls also closed in New Jersey, Illinois, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Maryland, Delaware and Missouri. Neither of them can be called yet. But I hear that Kennedy is ahead in New Jersey, what would be an important win for the Democratic candidate.

We have a winner in Mississippi, though, and it is Lester Maddox! He has taken the first southern state! Maddox is also leading with about 40% of the vote in Alabama, but this state is still too early to call. Meanwhile, Kansas seems to be decided: Nelson Rockefeller, not surprising, has taken the state and adds seven more electoral votes to his tally.

Our map at the moment has Nelson Rockefeller ahead with 40 electoral votes. Bobby Kennedy is at 27 and Lester Maddox at seven.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 40 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 24 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 7 EV.
Too close/early to call: 264 EV.

8.30 p.m.

BREAKING: CBS PROJECTS THAT KENNEDY WINS GEORGIA!

WALTER CRONKITE: Welcome back, ladies and gentlemen. I have a very important call to make: Jimmy Carter has delivered! The governor and former peanut farmer delivers his homestate of Georgia and its twelve electoral votes for Bobby Kennedy. Apparently the Democratic ticket is ahead by seven points and Lester Maddox has no chance to overcome this lead. That means, Bobby Kennedy has reason to hope for more electoral votes from the South. Votes, that he badly needs. With Georgia being called in his favor, he has won a state President Lyndon Johnson failed to carry twice. Nelson Rockefeller is a close third with just over 25% of the vote in Georgia. That is disappointing, but doesn’t hurt his overall chances to be elected president tonight. It is, though, a very important victory for Robert Kennedy. However, I also have a setback for the Democrats in case they hoped for Alabama: We can now confirm that Lester Maddox is winning his second state by a fair margin. This is also a setback for the liberal Democratic governor Albert Brewer, who fought hard for Kennedy over the course of this campaign, but turned down the vice presidency. Lester Maddox' win shows a potential Brewer candidacy for the senate in two years won’t be a cakewalk for the rising star. On the other hand, George Wallace will closely watch tonight, since he is supposed to seek the governorship again in 1974.

Now it’s half past eight and the polls just closed in Arkansas. We don’t have a winner here, but Nelson Rockefeller runs ahead in the state, where is brother Winthrop is the governor.

Our map now stands 40-39-16 in terms of electoral college votes in Rockefeller's favor. Still a lot climb for the 270 needed.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 40 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 39 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 16 EV.
Too close/early to call: 249 EV.

8.46 p.m. – BREAKING: FLORIDA WON BY NELSON ROCKEFELLER!

WALTER CRONKITE: And we interrupt the break with a major projection. Not too surprising, Nelson Rockefeller emerges victorious in Florida, just as polls predicted. The New York governor wins in the Sunshine state with about 45% of the vote and captures 17 important electoral votes. He’s now at 57 electoral votes. We’ll be back soon with more polls closing. Stay tuned!

9 p.m.

CBS: Kennedy wins Maryland; Rockefeller strong in Connecticut and New Jersey, overperforms with blacks

WALTER CRONKITE: Nine o’clock, and we have several more polls closed. First, I’d like to name states we can already call: Colorado, Wyoming, Arizona Nebraska and both Dakotas voted for Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford. That adds a modest number of electoral votes to the Republican column, which is now at 85. On the Democratic side, we project the Kennedy/Carter won in Minnesota, home of Hubert Humphrey. And Lester Maddox won a third state: Louisiana. Ten more votes for the former Georgia governor. In Wisconsin, it is too early for a serious projection, as the vote is extremely close. The same in New York, where 41 electoral votes are being awarded. Along with California, this will be the most watched state tonight. My colleagues out there confirmed, New York is very, very close at the moment, with about twelve percent in. […] And, as I just heard, we received word that Robert Kennedy has won the state of Maryland. Briefly I want to focus on Connecticut again and provide an update: We still don’t have a winner here, but I just received word that Governor Rockefeller has pulled ahead by roughly a thousand votes. Wow!

And another update: The tide in New Jersey has reportedly turned! Nelson Rockefeller has now overtaken Robert Kennedy's lead and is favored to carry the state. We received word that the governor is overperforming in urban areas and with African Americans. The same is true in Washington DC, where Governor Rockefeller has won almost 20% of the vote due to stronger support from blacks.

Let’s take a look at the map. Nelson Rockefeller ahead, but it's still very early. This is going to be a long night!

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 85 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 59 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 26 EV.
Too close/early to call: 278 EV.

9.17 p.m. – BREAKING: ROCKEFELLER TAKES VIRGINIA AND NEW MEXICO, CRACKS 100 ELECTORAL VOTES

WALTER CRONKITE: And… I just received word about two more less surprising calls: Virginia and New Mexico go to the Rockefeller/Ford column. Governor Rockefeller has exceeded 100 electoral votes now. But still no gamechanger has been called. We return after a short break for more coverage. Stay with us!

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 101 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 26 EV.
Too close/early to call: 262 EV.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #185 on: February 15, 2018, 01:30:50 PM »

★★★ CBS News Election Coverage continues. With Walter Cronkite ★★★

9.38 p.m. – BREAKING: OHIO CALLED FOR ROCKEFELLER!

WALTER CRONKITE: And we come back for a very important call. One and a half hours after polls closed in Ohio, we can present a winner: As the polls suggested, Nelson Rockefeller has won the state by a fair margin. This is a very important win for the New York governor. As our reporters out there said, Governor Rockefeller is expected to end up with about 51% or 52% of the votes, compared to approximately 45% for Vice President Kennedy. Truly a setback for RFK, who decided to resume campaigning after the last polls showed he may close the gap. Remember that four years ago, Ohio was called much later and became the state that put President Johnson over the top. As things now stand, I see Nelson Rockefeller slightly favored, but things could change rapidly if Texas, Pennsylvania and either New York or California end up voting for Kennedy/Carter.

Ah, and… I just hear on one line here, that Nelson Rockefeller is also projected to take the state of Oklahoma. Another eight votes go into his column. Now the Republican ticket is way ahead, but still far away from the 270 electoral votes needed. Here’s the map:

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 134 EV.
Too close/early to call: 229 EV.

10 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: Welcome back to CBS coverage of the 1972 presidential election. I’m your moderator, Walter Cronkite. It is ten p.m. and we have poll closings in Iowa, Montana, Idaho, Nevada and Utah. And we can call all of them except for Iowa and Nevada for Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford. That is no surprise at all and adds a modest number of electoral votes to the Republican column. Meanwhile, I have a more important call for Governor Rockefeller: He has won Missouri. Another state he flipped from President Lyndon Johnson in 1968. And one more state is now called: Connecticut. Robert Kennedy has narrowly hang on here after retaking the lead. With 99% of the precincts in, the vice president pulled it off with about 50% to 48%. That provides some relief for the Kennedy campaign. Our current map has Rockefeller way ahead with 159 to 67:

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 159 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 67 EV.
Too close/early to call: 220 EV.

10.24 p.m. – BREAKING: KENNEDY HANGS ON TEXAS, ROCKEFELLER WINS NEW JERSEY, MADDOX SOUTH CAROLINA

WALTER CRONKITE: We have interrupt the break for three important calls: Bobby Kennedy has managed to win the state of Texas! A pivotal victory for him in President Johnson’s homestate. The president campaigned hard for his second-in-command here in recent weeks. Nevertheless, the result is closer than expected since polls showed him ahead by at least five points. We project that Kennedy has won 46% of the vote compared to Rockefeller’s 44%. About nine percent are going to Maddox in the Lone-Star-State. Nevertheless, a win is a win. 26 electoral votes for RFK. The Rockefeller/Ford campaign never counted on them. What they counted on is New Jersey. I guess they’re now paying big attention to the state, where the Republican standard-bearer finished his campaign yesterday and is now reportedly the winner. 17 crucial votes for Mr. Rockefeller. News also broke on South Carolina, where Lester Maddox has won a narrow three-way contest. This brings Maddox’ tally up to 34 electoral votes. Likely that is going to be his total number in the end, and we have to see whether that prevents the other two from garnering 270 electoral votes. The loss of South Carolina is not good for Vice President Kennedy, although he has still more than one reasonable path to victory. We go to a quick commercial and return in a moment.

[…]

WALTER CRONKITE: It’s 10.35 p.m. and I have two additional calls of less significance to make: That concerns the states of Delaware and Nevada, where Nelson Rockefeller has been declared the winner. Delaware is somewhat surprising since neighboring Maryland voted for Robert Kennedy and the senate race seems to favor the young Democrat Joseph Biden here. Looking at the map, there is a lot of blue, but that could change once big battlegrounds are called. I expect this to happen within the next one or two hours. But it is possible that a winner won’t be produced until California is decided.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 181 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 93 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 34 EV.
Too close/early to call: 163 EV.

11 p.m.

WALTER CRONKITE: Eleven o’clock, ladies and gentlemen! And while polls are now closing at the entire west coast, we are far away from the election of a new president. Washington state, Oregon and California are all too early or too close call. But I have a big projection to make, and that is Pennsylvania. We have now enough reliable numbers to give the state to Vice President Kennedy. A large prize with 27 electoral votes. According to our projections, the vice president will carry the states by a margin of roughly three percent or about 100,000 votes. Nevertheless, I also have a call for Republicans: We now put Arkansas to Nelson Rockefeller’s column. He won the state in which his brother Winthrop holds the governor’s chair with about 39% of the vote against Bobby Kennedy and a strong third place for Governor Maddox.

Checking the map, Nelson Rockefeller is leading with 187 to 120 electoral votes. That is the exact same number Richard Nixon won in 1968. More to come. Very likely at least.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 187 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 120 EV.
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 34 EV.
Too close/early to call: 190 EV.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #186 on: February 17, 2018, 05:57:27 AM »
« Edited: February 17, 2018, 06:01:01 AM by President Johnson »

11.20 p.m. – BREAKING: NORTH CAROLINA AND TENNESSEE FOR KENNEDY!

WALTER CRONKITE: After securing Pennsylvania and its 27 electoral votes, Bobby Kennedy continues to close the gap: Five minutes ago, North Carolina was called for the vice president. And just this moment, we got confirmed, that he won neighboring Tennessee as well. Both are important victories that gives the Democrats reason to hope. Tennessee is another state that voted for Richard Nixon in 1968. However, Nelson Rockefeller has flipped more states from 1968 than Bobby Kennedy so far.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 187 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 143 EV.
Too close/early to call: 167 EV.

11.20 p.m. – BREAKING: ROCKEFELLER CARRIES ILLINOIS!

WALTER CRONKITE: Is this a turning point for tonight? It is now official that Nelson Rockefeller has managed to win the state of Illinois. This is a huge, huge win for the Republican candidate. It is also the first time that this swing state goes to a GOP nominee since 1956. With almost 94% counted, Governor Rockefeller stands at 49% of the vote, while Vice President Kennedy received 47% so far. A margin, RFK can hardly overcome with the remaining votes to be counted. Especially because they came from more Republican leaning districts. Therefore, we call Illinois for the Rockefeller/Ford camp.

That is our map. Nelson Rockefeller has now crossed the 200 electoral votes mark.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 213 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 143 EV.
Too close/early to call: 141 EV.

11.40 p.m. – BREAKING: KENNEDY TAKES MICHIGAN; IOWA CALLED FOR ROCKEFELLER

WALTER CRONKITE: Welcome back to our election night coverage. I have two very important projections: The first is on the state of Michigan. Gerald Ford failed to accomplish what Jimmy Carter has done: He couldn’t deliver his homestate, as Robert Kennedy outperformed the Republican ticket by a slim margin. With almost all votes counted, the vice president can be awarded with 21 additional electoral votes. That means, the efforts of vice presidential nominee Gerald Ford as well as former governor George Romney did not pay off, despite Rockefeller doing very well with African Americans. After the loss of Illinois, this victory keeps hope alive for Kennedy supporters, that their standard-bearer has still a decent shot at winning and become the nation's 37th president. However, another state in the Midwest can also be called: Iowa votes for Nelson Rockefeller by a fair margin. The governor managed to flip another 1968 Johnson state despite Hubert Humphrey’s presence in the last weeks. Is that sign that points to a Rockefeller victory tonight? I think, at this point, we have to confess that Nelson Rockefeller is more likely to be elected president than Bobby Kennedy. But the vice president could still win with New York, California, Washington, Hawaii and Wisconsin. And potentially Oregon as well. But it's hard to deny that Governor Rockefeller is better positioned to garner 270 electoral votes.

Looking at our map, Governor Rockefeller is ahead by almost 60 votes. He needs additional 49 to get elected. California or New York in addition to Alaska and Oregon would put him over the top. If he wins both New York and California, he’s through and it won’t be even close. Bobby Kennedy must win both in order to get over the 270 finish line, in addition to Washington state and Wisconsin. And the latter is far from certain to vote for Kennedy, since the last polls showed a dead heat. Right now, I say the odds are 50% Rockefeller, 25% electoral college deadlock and 25% Kennedy. We’re back in a moment, stay with us.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 221 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 164 EV.
Too close/early to call: 112 EV.

12 a.m.; November 8, 1972

WALTER CRONKITE: We’re at midnight now here in Washington and are still waiting for the election of a new president. At this hour, polls of the last two states closed. Hawaii and Alaska. Both can already be called without a surprise. Hawaii goes to Bobby Kennedy and Alaska to Nelson Rockefeller. I would also give you a brief update on congressional races: It seems as the Democrats maintain control over both legislative chambers. Notable senators such as Republican John Tower of Texas and Tennessee's Howard Baker, another Republican, have been reelected to their posts.

12.07 a.m. – BREAKING: ROCKEFELLER DECLARED WINNER IN NEW YORK, BARRING RFK FROM REACHING 270 ELECTORAL VOTES!

WALTER CRONKITE: Ladies and Gentlemen, we interrupt the current report on down-ballot races as I have received very important news from the state of New York. According to various sources, with 96% of the votes in, Nelson Rockefeller has won his homestate by a close margin of less than a half percentage point. That means, that Robert Kennedy has no path left to reach 270 electoral votes. Even if the wins all the rest; meaning the states at west coast. But even that seems doubtful since Governor Rockefeller is favored to win in Oregon and possibly California and Wisconsin. As he now stands at 265 electoral votes, he needs just another state to cross the finish line. And it is very likely that he wins at least Oregon. I guess the celebration at the Rockefeller Center will now begin.

[…]

Before we go into the break, we have now a winner in Wisconsin: Bobby Kennedy hangs on and earns eleven electoral votes. Nevertheless, he can’t hit 270 anymore since New York is included in the Rockefeller/Ford tally. Take a look at the map:

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 265 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 179 EV.
Too close/early to call: 60 EV.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #187 on: February 18, 2018, 06:14:29 AM »

12.33 a.m. – BREAKING: NEW YORK TAKEN BACK FROM ROCKEFELLER!

As New York is taken back to undecided, Kennedy wins Washington State, Rockefeller takes Oregon: Election comes down to New York and/or California! Electoral College deadlock now impossible!

WALTER CRONKITE: Welcome back to election night coverage. I’m your moderator, Walter Cronkite. I have to say that I have never seen an election like this. News just broke that New York has to be taken back from Nelson Rockefeller! As later returns came in, the election is again too close to call in the Empire State, where both candidates have their official residence. I assume this is a huge shocker for the Rockefeller camp while the Kennedy people, already fallen into a state of mourning, have reason to be hopeful again. So, the call for New York was premature and we, as well as other stations, have to apologize for the call. Now, with that being said, this does not mean Robert Kennedy carried the state. We just have to take it back to the undecided tally, as it is so extremely close. Therefore, Nelson Rockefeller has not lost the state yet, he has just not won it. Just to demonstrate how close New York is, take a look at the vote count:

NEW YORK (98% reported)
Nelson A. Rockefeller (R): 3,438,409 (48.99%)
Robert F. Kennedy (D): 3,430,303 (48.96%)
Lester Maddox (A): 84,223 (1.20%)

While New York and California likely take another hour or so, we have enough confidence to give Washington state to the vice president and Oregon to the governor. That means effectively the election comes down to New York and/or California. Nelson Rockefeller can end this thing by winning either of them. With New York alone, he would be at 271 electoral votes, one more than needed. With California alone, Rockefeller would end up with 275 electoral votes. If he carries both of them, his tally adds up to 316. Bobby Kennedy has to win both if he wants to move into the Oval Office coming January. If he carries both, he'd win with 274 electoral votes. These three scenarios are now all options left. That also means, an electoral college deadlock won't occur. The only thing that can happen now is a recount in one of the decisive states.

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 230 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 188 EV.
Too close/early to call: 86 EV.

CBS PROJECTS: DEMOCRATS MAINTAIN CONTROL OF CONGRESS

WALTER CRONKITE: While the presidential election comes down to New York and California, both a nailbiter, we have a major projection to make that concerns the United States congress: We are now certain that the Democrats will remain in control of the United States senate. Republicans gained seats in Virginia, North Carolina, Oklahoma and New Mexico. The Democrats picked up Maine, Delaware and South Dakota. Possibly Colorado, but that remains to be very close. Notable is the loss of Republican Margaret Chase-Smith in Maine, who lost to Democratic challenger William Hathaway. Mrs. Smith has been the first woman to be elected in her own right to the senate. At the age of 76, she may now retire, but is also rumored to take a position in a possible Rockefeller Administration.

In the House of Representatives, we are also confident that the Democrats maintain their majority. As of now, they won 201 seats. That is 17 short of a majority, but with the remaining districts to be counted, CBS projects Democrats will likely end up with a similar number than in the previous congress, which was 233. The Republicans have won 173 seats at this point. We expect them to win just above 200 mandates.

That means, if Nelson Rockefeller is elected president this night, he will have to deal with a Democratic congress. If Robert Kennedy pulls this off, he will find himself into a similar position than President Johnson in the past two years. Menaing, it wouldn't be as easy as for LBJ in his first five years, but things certainly can get done. We will keep you up to date in both the presidential and down-ballot races. Now return to a short break and will be back in moment. Stay with us.

1.04 a.m. – BREAKING: KENNEDY NARROWLY WINS NEW YORK! ELECTION TO BE DECIDED BY CALIFORNIA!

WALTER CRONKITE: Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now confronted with a brand new situation: With 100% of the vote in New York counted, we received word that Vice President Robert F. Kennedy has carried the state with a very, very narrow margin of 49.0% to 48.8% of the vote. This is stunning! Really stunning! After the Empire State has already been called for the Republican ticket, we now have these 41 electoral votes go to the Democratic ticket. Bobby Kennedy badly needed this victory in his homestate. He stands now at 229 electoral votes. One less than Nelson Rockefeller. In other words: The state of California will decide the 1972 presidential election! Whoever wins the Golden State and its 45 electoral votes, wins the White House. It couldn't be much closer as it is now up to Ronald Reagan's homestate to determine who will be the 37th President of the United States. It's going to Nelson Rockefeller with 275 electoral votes or Robert Kennedy with 274 electoral votes.

As we are told, the vote count in California is a little slow, just above 50%. No clear trend is visible at this early stage. Both candidates are within a single percentage point! We can now also project that the Republicans hang on Colorado in the senate race. Kentucky is now also reported to be a narrow GOP win. That means, the Democrats will control the chamber with 53 seats, including Independent Harry F. Byrd of Virginia, who caucuses with the Democratic Party. That's a net loss of one seat for the Democrats. Republicans hold 46 seats, with conservative James Buckley of New York caucusing with the GOP. Yet, the House is divided 224 to 206 in the Democrats' favor. Five districts remain to be called. We go to a short commercial and will be right back. Stay with us for the ultimate decision!

Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 230 EV.
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 229 EV.
Too close/early to call: 45 EV.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #188 on: February 18, 2018, 11:13:50 AM »

OwO
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #189 on: February 18, 2018, 01:56:15 PM »

Damn, I did not expect this. Go Kennedy!
Also, both Rocky and RFK would do well to give Chase Smith a prominent administration role.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #190 on: February 18, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »

KENNEDY FOR ME
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2018, 03:38:53 PM »

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #192 on: February 18, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »

If I had to guess, California seems like the place to go more to Rockefeller (seeing as it was a more-often-than-not Republican state in those days), though I can see the Schmitz/John Birch types in Southern California detracting from crucial otherwise-Republican votes. In either case, I have no dog in this fight; if I know President Johnson (the poster), it'll be a Rockefeller win--particularly since the alternative is a resurgent conservatism that kinda sorta gets in the way of the title of this piece.
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #193 on: February 18, 2018, 10:36:56 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #194 on: February 18, 2018, 10:39:03 PM »

If I had to guess, California seems like the place to go more to Rockefeller (seeing as it was a more-often-than-not Republican state in those days), though I can see the Schmitz/John Birch types in Southern California detracting from crucial otherwise-Republican votes. In either case, I have no dog in this fight; if I know President Johnson (the poster), it'll be a Rockefeller win--particularly since the alternative is a resurgent conservatism that kinda sorta gets in the way of the title of this piece.

You could argue though California was Republican because of Nixon and Reagan (both being from CA ) .

1976 was due to Carter being a terrible fit for CA and 1988 was due to HW being VP of a popular president from CA
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »
« Edited: March 31, 2018, 06:05:44 AM by President Johnson »

1.54 a.m.: PRESIDENT ROCKEFELLER! CALIFORNIA PUSHES ROCKY OVER THE TOP!

★★★ BREAKING NEWS: California decides election in favor of Nelson Rockefeller! Bare majority in Golden State pushes Rockefeller/Ford ticket over the finish line with 275 electoral votes. Nelson Rockefeller elected president! ★★★

WALTER CRONKITE: There we are! Deep into the night, with 99% of the votes reported in California, we have the final decision: According to our reports, Nelson Rockefeller edged out Robert Kennedy with a slim 42,000 vote margin, or a half percentage point. Take a look at the current vote count:

CALIFORNIA (99.2% reported)
✓ Nelson A. Rockefeller (R): 4,045,867 (48.74%)
Robert F. Kennedy (D): 4,003,533 (48.23%)
Lester G. Maddox (A): 222,464 (2.68%)

With less than 80,000 ballots left to be counted in California, it is hard to imagine where RFK could find these additional 42,000 votes he has to pick up to overcome his current deficit. Considering from which areas ballots are left to be included in the vote count, we actually expect Nelson Rockefeller to widen his lead by a few thousands votes. Now, therefore, with California being de facto decided, CBS is calling this presidential contest by adding 45 electoral votes to the Republican column, which finally adds up to 275. Ladies and Gentlemen, that means the following: Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller will become the 37th President of the United States of America on January 20, 1973, succeeding President Lyndon Baines Johnson. After twelve years of Democratic rule in the White House, Governor Rockefeller, who we now refer to as President-elect Rockefeller, has won back the Executive Mansion for the Republican Party. At his side, Gerald Rudolph Ford of Michigan will be serving as the 40th Vice President of the United States. The incoming Rockefeller/Ford Administration will face a lot of challenges, both at home and abroad. One of them will be a Democratic congress. We have to see how Nelson Rockefeller will operate as president with his pragmatic governance approach. It is likely that he will attempt to form voting coalitions of the center to get is agenda passed, with Vice President-elect Ford playing a key role at Capitol Hill. In foreign policy, we do not expect a major departure from the Johnson policies of détente. Henry Kissinger, a protégé of the president-elect, is almost certain to take a major role in the administration on foreign policy.

For Bobby Kennedy, this is the biggest defeat of his political career. And maybe the second-biggest defeat in his life, after the tragic loss of his brother nine years ago. Considering that he started off this campaign as the clear favorite to succeed his relatively popular boss in the Oval Office, the election loss is a disappointment for him. Although we knew the race would be close going into the final days, RFK was still expected edge out a narrow win, especially with the push Jimmy Carter gave him in the South. It remains to be seen what Robert Kennedy will do after January, when he will be a former vice president at the age of 47. Interestingly, he is of the same age than Richard Nixon in 1960, who was also defeated as sitting vice president trying to succeed his boss. Nixon attempted a comeback eight years later and failed. What will become of Bobby Kennedy - we don't know yet.

We also have first reliable numbers on the national popular vote. Nelson Rockefeller not just edges out an electoral college victory, he also wins the popular vote with around 47.5%. Robert Kennedy received just below 46% and Lester Maddox a little more than six percent. These numbers may change to some degree until all ballots are counted, but we do not expect larger deflections from this result. Currently, Rockefeller's advantage is a slightly over a million votes. Looking at the projections, we expect him to end up with about 1.4 or 1.5 million votes more than RFK. That is far less than in 1968, but a lot more than JFK's narrow win against Richard Nixon in 1960. This is the final map:

✓ Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 275 EV. (~ 47.5%)
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 229 EV. (~ 45.8%)
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 34 EV. (~6.3%)

And I just got word that Nelson Rockefeller will address the nation in about ten minutes. News also broke that Vice President Kennedy has called the president-elect, but will officially concede the race tomorrow - or I should say today - morning. We come back after a short break. Stay with us.

[…]

We now turn to the Rockefeller Center in New York City, where thousands of cheering supporters wait for Rocky to address the nation. After many years, Nelson Rockefeller has finally fulfilled his dream of becoming president. And now, Gerald Ford is entering the hall and walking to the podium. Ladies and Gentlemen, the vice president-elect of the United States.

CROWD: Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!

VICE PRESIDENT-ELECT FORD: Thank you all! Thank you so much! That is a tremendous honor. Betty and I are so grateful for all the support and the love we received in the past months. Tonight, the American people made their voices heard. And they have elected a man as their leader, who will be compassioned in serving this great nation. I couldn’t be prouder to stand by his side in implementing an agenda for all the people. I also want to thank Vice President Kennedy and Governor Carter for the spirited campaign they ran. We will be looking forward to work with these two outstanding men and reach out to the millions who voted for them. Be assured, that a Rockefeller/Ford Administration will be the servant of all Americans and work hard to earn the trust of all the people! Now, please join me in welcoming the next president of the United States, please welcome Nelson Rockefeller!

America’s new leadership duo: President-elect Nelson Rockefeller and Vice President-elect Gerald Ford at their victory celebration on election night

[Massive cheering, applause]

CROWD: Rocky! Rocky! Rocky! We want Rocky! We want Rocky!

PRESIDENT-ELECT ROCKEFELLER: Thank you very, very much! I thank you all from the bottom of my heart. First let me thank my friend Jerry for that magnificent introduction. I know you will be an outstanding vice president and true partner in guiding our nation.
Now… my fellow Americans: Thank you! Happy and I are deeply moved by the trust and confidence you have expressed tonight. I cannot tell you how grateful I am that you gave me the opportunity and the privilege to serve as your next president. Tonight, I want to thank all the millions who entrusted us with the awesome responsibility to lead the greatest country on planet earth as well as the many thousands of supporters and local organizers who made our victory possible. I also want to express my thanks and respect for all those citizens who did not vote for me, but participated in our democracy. To all of you, I say: Be assured, that I will work tirelessly to win your confidence and trust. I want to be the president of all Americans, working together with their congressional representatives of both parties to tackle our problems and make America a better place to live, to work and to prosper. Let us work together in a spirit of trust and mutual respect and a deep love for our wonderful land. To the world, I also have a message: America is and will always remain a force for peace and freedom. We do not seek to conquer or to dominate. We want peace and democracy. And: We are open for all those who want to come to America, live the American dream, contribute to and be part of our society. To our adversaries, I say: America does not want to be your enemy. We want a stable world and the self-determination of free people. We seek dialogue, not conflict. That does not mean we shrink from defending our allies and our values. But I am confident we can work out differences peacefully.
Let me now extend my profound respect for Vice President Robert Kennedy and Governor Jimmy Carter for a spirited campaign, that inspired millions across America and beyond. The vice president just called me on the phone. He congratulated us and offered his full cooperation, what I thankfully accepted. I wished him personally all the best. Vice President Kennedy is a decent man and we all owe him a deep gratitude for all he has done to enrich America. I am sure that he has a great future ahead of him. I also received a call from President Johnson, who expressed his congratulations and offered his help in the transition phase. The president invited me to the White House on Friday. I look forward to work with this great man, who has served his country with extraordinary compassion, until the inauguration and beyond.
Today, we celebrate the victory of American democracy going into its bicentennial soon, but tomorrow we will go back to work. For you. The American people. Remember, this is all about you, not me. So, thank you again, good night, god bless you and may god bless the United States of America.

WALTER CRONKITE: That was live from New York City, the words of President-elect Rockefeller… a term I still have to get used to. To finish with a few personal words, I think this has been a moving and classy victory speech. I rarely saw a winner who spoke that friendly of his defeated opponent. At this late hour, we end our program and encourage you to tune in again soon. Thank you and good night.

NEXT: Bobby Kennedy's concession speech and the final state-by-state results
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2018, 06:19:13 PM »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! Bobby! Sad
TheSaint250
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -2.84, S: 5.22

P P
« Reply #197 on: February 22, 2018, 03:17:39 PM »

YES NELSON WOOOOO LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #198 on: February 22, 2018, 04:45:39 PM »

This was great! Might even be for the best- without Watergate and Reagan, perhaps the era of polarization will never come in the intensity we're seeing today.
Rocky '76, RFK '80, RFK '84! Tongue
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #199 on: February 22, 2018, 06:50:22 PM »

This was great! Might even be for the best- without Watergate and Reagan, perhaps the era of polarization will never come in the intensity we're seeing today.
Rocky '76, RFK '80, RFK '84! Tongue

if you want to stop that , have some other GOP congressman become the Speaker of the House in the mid 1990s.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies