The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:32:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 35
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107796 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: May 15, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »

November 6, 1974: President Rockefeller reacts to midterm election results

After President Nelson Rockefeller addressed the outcome of the midterm elections, Vice President Gerald Ford talks to him

Under the eyes of over dozen reporters and the clicking of hundreds of cameras, President Nelson Rockefeller entered the White House East Room to address the outcome of the midterm elections and take a few questions. He was joined by Vice President Gerald Ford, who stood by his side in front of the audience.

President Rockefeller: Ladies and Gentlemen, my fellow Americans:

Yesterday, the American people went to the polls and voted in fair and free elections for a new congress, a number of governors and other positions. At first, I want to congratulate all those who were elected to congress, a statewide or local office. You have been awarded with the people’s trust and the great honor to serve in public office. I hope, and I am sure, that you will meet this obligation with integrity and a devotion to improve the life conditions for our citizens. Be assured, that my administration wants to be a partner in this mission regardless of party affiliation. Let me also express my thanks and respect for all those who were not elected but engaged in the democratic process and contributed to the political discourse with their ideas for a better America.

Regarding the results for congressional elections, it is no secret that I wished for a different outcome in order to implement the agenda I proposed in the last presidential election. Nevertheless, I not just respect the people’s decision, I also interpret the results as a mandate for even closer cooperation between the congress and its leaders and my administration. It is obvious at this point that under the current circumstances, where America faces a good many challenges, the citizens of this nation want us to find pragmatic, bipartisan and productive solutions to respond to the economic difficulties we find ourselves in. Vice President Ford and I will be meeting with the congressional leadership this Friday and discuss a broad range of measures to improve the economic situation and lift certain burdens from American workers and businesses. After a telephone call with Majority Leader Humphrey last night, he expressed his willingness to contribute to bold reforms. I think that first items can be passed even during the lame-duck session. In addition, the vice president and I will also host all freshman congressmen and senators at the White House within the coming weeks. As always, the White House team will keep you up to date.

Thanks for your attention. I’m available to questions now. Go ahead.

NYT-Reporter: Mr. President, thank you. Sir, I would like to know whether you consider the new composition of congress a rejection of your policies?

President Rockefeller: No, I do not interpret the results as such. As I said before, I consider them a mandate or a wish by voters, for even closer bipartisan cooperation. In the past, it has not been unusual that such a trend happened. In 1954, the Republicans lost their majority as well and President Eisenhower was reelected two years after. In 1966, the Democrats ended up with losing twice the amount of seats we did this time, and President Johnson remained in office for another term. It can hardly be seen as a rejection of the president, more a mandate to correct course. And before anybody of you asks the question: We have a lot of challenges ahead, therefore my focus is not the 1976 presidential election and I won’t answer any questions related to this topic.

ABC-Reporter: Mr. President, how do assess the loss of your close friend Malcolm Wilson in New York? And what are your thoughts on Robert Kennedy’s victory?

President Rockefeller: Of course, I would have preferred for Governor Wilson having the opportunity to govern a full four year term and continue the work he begun following my resignation last year. Nevertheless, I fully respect the will of the voters of the great state of New York and congratulated Governor-elect Robert Kennedy on his victory and an honest campaign he ran that inspired millions of New Yorkers. Just this morning, I had a friendly telephone call with the governor-elect and offered him my full cooperation while he expressed his desire to work with my administration in a spirit of bipartisanship and mutual respect.

ABC-Reporter: Just a quick follow-up on this, Mr. President. What is Governor Wilson’s future going to be?

President Rockefeller: That is for Governor Wilson to decide. I will continue to be his friend.

Washington Post reporter: Sir, what is your take on the gubernatorial election in California?

President Rockefeller: Well, as president, I have neither a comment nor any formal role in the process. Obviously, the election requires a recount due to its closeness. I have full confidence in the authorities of the state that this entire process will be handled properly and that a winner will rightfully be determined in the coming days or weeks. I urge each- and everyone to be patient and wait for the final outcome and certification and hope the subsequent situation is being handled classy by both sides. I have just spoken to Governor Reagan and he assured me, that he will do everything he can to assure that this is going to happen.

CBS-Reporter: Mr. President, if I may… I would like to ask you whether you believe you have done enough to help Republican candidates?

President Rockefeller: Well, you could argue I may have done this or that differently, spent more time in certain areas while spending less in others, that’s all speculation. I have been involved in various campaigns, as was Jerry and other cabinet members, while I have still been busy with the daily business in the Oval Office. In any case, I’d like to point out that not all Republican candidates running for office that I supported this election have been unsuccessful. I am very pleased that my fellow New Yorkers renewed Senator Jacob Javits’ mandate. He has been an outstanding partner for a long time and I look forward to work with him in the upcoming congressional session.

Thank you all, and have a great day.

While the president and vice president left the room, some reporters asked Rocky for a comment on Spiro Agnew’s campaign involvements, but he didn’t react to them, leading to further speculation that the attorney general was more and more walking on thin ice.

November 7, 1974: Senate Majority Leader Humphrey pushes for minimum wage increase ahead of Camp David meeting

Senate Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey demands a higher minimum wage, but also expressed his willingness to cooperate with the Rockefeller Administration even closer

It was not the first time this year that Senate Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey demanded a raise of the minimum wage at the federal level. In order to end the September/October government shutdown, Humphrey temporarily took the issue out of the negotations with the Rockefeller White House. "At least two dollars an hour", said a spokesman for the long-time Minnesota politican and liberal warrior. Encouraged by the election results, Humphrey renewed his pledge for such a step that Republicans are mostly not enthusiastic about. Senator-elect Albert Brewer (D-AL) said such a measure would be his first bill to sponsor if it was not passed by the lame-duck session. In his most recent comments, Humphrey also indicated to comply with other wishes of the Rockefeller Administration in exchange. An energy bill was among the things he mentioned. In addition, Humphrey expressed his openess for even closer cooperation with the administration if possible (though he emphasized the need for Democrats to underline what the party stands for). In a public statement, a spokeswoman for President Rockefeller said that he [the president] was ready to talk about all issues Humphrey brought up.

The next day, a private meeting at Camp David between all congressional leaders from both parties and President Rockefeller as well as Vice President Ford took place for various policy discussions. Not public statements were given in the immediate aftermath, but White House interns told the press that the talks were "productive" and took place in a "good atmosphere".
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2018, 04:57:32 AM »

November 15, 1974

BREAKING: California gubernatorial election determined: It’s Jerry Brown by a razor-thin margin!

California's governor-elect Jerry Brown takes questions from reporters on November 15, 1974

Ten days after the election, all 6.2 million ballots cast in California were successfully recounted without any difficulty. On the evening of November 14, all 58 counties of the Golden State reported to the secretary of state’s office in Sacramento. The election board certified the final outcome the next morning. The reported result was:

✓ Edmund G. “Jerry” Brown (D): 3,094,558 (49.51%)
Houston I. Flournoy (R): 3,093,308 (49.49%)

After the certification, Secretary of State Jerry Brown, the Democratic candidate and son of former governor Pat Brown, was declared the winner. His Republican opponent Houston Flournoy conceded the election the same afternoon and urged Californians to leave division behind them. The same did outgoing chief executive Ronald Reagan. Brown defeated Flournoy by a bare 1,250 votes or 0.02% (over 6.2 million ballots were cast). It was the closest gubernatorial election in the history of California and one of the closest in the entire US history. At the age of 36, Brown will become the youngest governor in the nation in January 1975. Afterwards, he reportedly phoned with President Rockefeller, who expressed his congratulations.

November 30, 1974: New Gallup poll

For the first time in his presidency, Nelson Rockefeller's approval rating not just dropped below 50%, his disapproval was now also higher than approval. Political experts and journalists cite the ongoing economic problems as the main reason for this shift of public opinion. The successes in foreign policy are less of an issue than they were during the Vietnam-era.

President Rockefeller job approval
Approve: 47%
Disapprove: 48%

December 9, 1974: Broad agreement reached: Minimum wage goes up, energy market bill passes

At an Oval Office meeting, President Rockefeller and Vice President Ford (seated in front of the fire place) announced the agreement with congress and the Democratic leadership; December 9, 1974

Early in December, during the lame-duck session of congress, the administration and congressional leaders came to a wide agreement on key issues. Democrats under the leadership of Hubert Humphrey were able to convince President Rockefeller to support a minimum wage raise. Despite some reservations among Republicans and even within his administration, he signed the minimum wage bill into law, raising it to two dollars an hour. In exchange, Humphrey and Albert gave the administration to long awaited legislation to deregulate the energy market. “We believe this measure will lead to dropping energy prices in the United States”, President Rockefeller said upon the signing ceremony in the Oval Office. He also added that Secretary of Energy John B. Anderson will soon submit a plan to make America energy independent within the next decade.

Late December 1974: US economy officially in recession

Despite the most recent breakthroughs, by late December 1974 the US economy officially slipped into a recession. The last quarter’s growth was negative, losing over a pint of the GDP. Unemployment reached 8.4% and inflation 8.5%. The Republicans already warned the administration on spending. Senator-elect Paul Laxalt (R-NV) demanded meaningful spending cuts. “When the government spends more money than it has, we have inflation. That’s what happened now, therefore it would be wise for the president to cut spending and stand up to Humphrey’s reckless policies”, he remarked a few days before the swearing-in of the new congress. Administration officials such as Vice President Ford renewed their demand for middle-class tax cuts to stimulate consumption and growth. Just ahead of his inauguration, New York’s governor-elect Bobby Kennedy announced he would implement a jobs program to fight unemployment in his state and urged the federal government to do likewise. James Buckley, the senator from New York, slammed the idea and said any program would be meaningless unless to economy grows.

On December 29, the White House accepted the invitation for an interview with President Rockefeller on New Year’s Eve, which would be televised nationwide.

December 31, 1974: New Gallup polls, including for 1976

At the year's end, the president had to take another drop in public support. Disapproval for the first time hit 50%. Meanwhile, the 1976 Democratic presidential field continues to be wide open with three frontrunners emerging: Outgoing Georgia Governor Jimmy Carter, Senator George McGovern of South Dakota and Senator Edmund Muskie of Maine. The declining approval ratings also have an effect on potential general-election match-ups, but President Rockefeller is still ahead of any potential challenger (but some come within the margin of error). So far, Jimmy Carter and Edmund Muskie appear to be strongest Democratic candidates after Bobby Kennedy and Albert Brewer ruled out to run. On December 27, West Virginia Senator Robert Byrd joined to group who declined interest in running for president; therefore he is no more included in any poll.

Approve: 44%
Disapprove: 50%

1976 Democratic Party presidential nomination

Governor Jimmy Carter: 21%
Senator George McGovern: 21%
Senator Edmund Muskie: 16%
Senator Lloyd Bentsen: 8%
Governor Reubin Askew: 8%
Senator Scoop Jackson: 5%
Representative Mo Udall: 4%
Senator Frank Church: 3%
Governor Milton Shapp: 2%
Senator Ted Kennedy: 2%
Someone else/undecided: 10%

1976 hypothetical general election match-ups

Nelson Rockefeller (R, inc.): 48%
Jimmy Carter (D): 45%

Nelson Rockefeller (R, inc.): 52%
George McGovern (D): 42%

Nelson Rockefeller (R, inc.): 47%
Edmund Muskie (D): 45%

Nelson Rockefeller (R, inc.): 49%
Lloyd Bentsen (D): 44%

Nelson Rockefeller (R, inc.): 50%
Scoop Jackson (D): 43%

Reubin Askew (D): 43%

Mo Udall (D): 43%

Frank Church (D): 44%

Milton Shapp (D): 40%

Nelson Rockefeller (R, inc.): 51%
Ted Kennedy (D): 41%
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #277 on: May 21, 2018, 05:00:50 AM »

December 31, 1974

President Nelson Rockefeller gives exclusive interview

In 21 days, we're going to enter the second half of President Nelson Rockefeller’s (first) term in office. This New Year’s Eve it was time for some conversation with the chief executive about what has been accomplished, what he intends to do in the next two years and a further outlook. In Buffalo, New York, he sat down with journalist Irv Weinstein for a conversation.

<< We underestimated the oil crisis, but is more important than ever to invest in our country >>

Mr. Weinstein: Thank you for your time, Mr. President.

President Rockefeller: Thank you very much, Irv. My pleasure.

Mr. Weinstein: Mr. President, you’ve been in office now for almost two years. What do you consider your greatest achievement so far and what do you consider your greatest disappointment?

President Rockefeller: Well, obviously, to start with the negative, the ongoing economic problems are major challenge and I have to admit, that we severely underestimated the oil crisis and its impact. On the other hand, I am most proud of that we kept the world at peace and are able to continue negotiations with Moscow and Beijing. Domestically, I would like to mention the gigantic housing program we started last year. Secretary Allen is doing a very good job in implementing the measure. Next year, we want to pass a major infrastructure bill to invest in our country.

Mr. Weinstein: You mentioned it, Mr. President. Critics of yours, including some members of the Republican Party, believe we need to cut spending instead of enacting another program worth billions of dollars. What’s your response?

President Rockefeller: In these critical times, it is even more important that invest in things such as housing and infrastructure. Not just because it is needed for a strong economy and strong communities, these investments also create jobs. I agree that we also need to keep the budget in line, but these areas are just the wrong ones to save money.

Mr. Weinstein: But where do you want to save? As far as I understood your intentions, you also want to cut taxes for middle incomes soon. How does this all comply?

President Rockefeller: I’ll be honest: We won’t have a balanced budget before we’re back in solid growth territory. We will get there sooner or later – hopefully sooner – but we also take action to make this happen. Stimulating private consumption by cutting taxes is a good idea. Now, you asked where to save money: We have saved over two billions within the government apparatus in the past few months by cutting waste and make processes leaner. Thanks to the commission under Vice President Ford I appointed immediately after taking office. I have also vetoed billions of dollars in spending proposals by the Democrats. In addition, we cut spending for the space program. That was painful, but we had to set some priorities.

<< We will never give up our principals… Dick Nixon has been outstanding >>

Mr. Weinstein: Mr. President, I want to move to foreign policy. Your Latin America policy has been viewed critical within some GOP circles. What do you say to them?

President Rockefeller: Irv, look, it is in our vital interest that we have excellent relations to our direct neighbors. I always admired FDR for his good neighbor policy. I saw the success first hand when I've worked for him, which was my first job in Washington. However, that requires some compromise, like in the Panama Canal Zone, where I will appoint a US delegation for concrete negotiations soon. Of course, we will never give up our principals. Under my leadership, and believe that is a bipartisan consensus in this country, America believes that free societies with a free-market economic system is the best form of government. And I believe, we have not just an interest but also obligation to use our political and economic strength to spread this philosophy to other nations. And it works, Mexico for example is much better off than it was a few decades ago. That is out of question.

Mr. Weinstein: That’s also your plan for Vietnam?

President Rockefeller: Yes. Of course. I hope that South Vietnam and develop a similar way like South Korea. And hopefully these countries will one day be reunified as free nations. That’s a long way, but America will stand by its allies under the Rockefeller/Ford Administration.

Mr. Weinstein: Some of your critics, and critics of the previous administration, say all this happens with too many concession to the Soviets. What’s your take on this?

President Rockefeller: I urge everyone who thinks that way to ask him or herself a very simple question: What principals, what territory or what strategic advantage has the United States given up at this point? Or since I took office? Right, none. It is our own interest that our children and grandchildren can grow up and live in a world of peace. That requires cooperation. Of course, we fight back wherever tyranny is on the march, as we did in South Vietnam in the spring of 1973 or in the Middle East the same fall. And one day, I am sure, a new generation will be in charge of the USSR and find that their system is no longer sustainable. When exactly that will happen, I don’t know. But it will happen within a few decades. I am sure. Meanwhile, we have to get along somehow in the interest of world peace.

Mr. Weinstein: One last question on foreign policy: Are you pleased the way Richard Nixon handled his job as secretary of state? Especially given the fact that his nomination was not welcomed by everyone. And do you intend to keep him in office as long as you are president?

President Rockefeller: [laughs] Well, Dick has been an outstanding secretary so far and I believe he’ll go down in history as one of the best we had. The entire foreign policy team has been a huge asset for me. George Romney, Henry Kissinger and Bill Scranton are extraordinary able men, who serve their country with integrity and passion.

<< Each cabinet member including Spiro Agnew must focus in its actual duty >>

Mr. Weinstein: Now we’re already into the administration and its members. I think you have found a very good relationship with your vice president and other cabinet officers as well, but what are your thoughts of Attorney General Spiro Agnew’s most recent actions? Or his attitude in general?

President Rockefeller: That is correct. Jerry has been a great vice president and his selection was probably the best move I made during the campaign. Especially his ability to work with lawmakers and his high integrity are most valuable for the administration. Well, Attorney General Agnew has pursued the policies I intended to follow: Bold action against drug abuse, but also bold action on the field of civil rights. I can proudly report that we essentially completed desegregation across the nation. I am very happy that justice has been done for our African-American citizens. But more has to be done to protect everyone’s personal rights.

Mr. Weinstein: In recent months, rumors were spread that you were unhappy with Attorney General Agnew’s attitude during the midterm elections. Your Chief of Staff Charles Goodell is quoted with the phrase: “You’re either chief-law-enforcement-officer or chief-campaigner. That fellow must understand we can’t have both for the integrity of the DOJ”. Does that mean that Mr. Agnew has to leave?

President Rockefeller: It means that each cabinet member must always stay focused in their duty they were appointed to perform first.

Mr. Weinstein: So, you will keep Mr. Agnew?

President Rockefeller: Well, he is still there. And the campaign season is over so far.

Mr. Weinstein: You sounded more enthusiastic when I asked you the same question on Mr. Nixon.

President Rockefeller: That’s your take on this, Irv.

<< I believe he [Bobby Kennedy] wants to serve for the good of the people >>

Mr. Weinstein: All right, Sir. I want to get into the local stuff for a moment. We’re here in Buffalo, New York. Tomorrow at noon, Robert F. Kennedy will take to oath of office as New York’s 51st Governor. You will attend the inauguration. Why did you chose to do so? I mean, he’s been a political rival.

President Rockefeller: Yes, that is true, I will attend the inauguration. Not as President of the United States, but as a citizen of the State of New York, to which I continue to have deep feelings. It is true that Mr. Kennedy has been a political opponent, but the people of the Empire State have selected him as their governor in a fair election. I wish him to be a successful governor and offer my cooperation to him.

Mr. Weinstein: Do you believe him that he is sincere to serve New York or do you think he just wants to use it as a stepping stone for another presidential run.

President Rockefeller: I believe he wants to serve for the good of the people. Later on, we have asses to which degree of success he lived up to his pledge. But let’s give him some the chance he deserves. If he ever wants to run for president, there is nothing wrong with it. He ruled out the next time to focus in his new job as governor. I have absolutely no reason to doubt he won't stand by his decision.

Mr. Weinstein: Now that the new year approaches, there will be more changes in governor’s chairs. Ronald Reagan will be out of office in a few days. Are you glad he’s out? Or do you expect him to be a major factor in the years to come?

President Rockefeller: That was Ronnie’s decision to leave office. I understand his motives. What his future involvement is going to be is up to him and his family. But I am sure he will continue to be outspoken on the believes he holds.

Mr. Weinstein: Mr. President, I would like to ask you one final question: Who do you want to run against in ’76? George McGovern?

President Rockefeller: [laughs] That’s up to the Democrats and their voters. They have a number of decent people within their ranks. We have to see. We still have plenty of time to go before the campaign fully starts.

Mr. Weinstein: So you confirm that you’re running for reelection? And do you intend to keep Gerald Ford on the ticket?

President Rockefeller: You said the previous question was your last. [laughs] I think we should leave it there and discuss these questions at the appropriate time. You, Irv, will be among the first who will learn.

Mr. Weinstein: Thank you very much for the interview, Mr. President.

President Rockefeller: Thank you, and happy new year.

Mr. Weinstein: Thank you again, Sir.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #278 on: May 21, 2018, 12:57:14 PM »

Still waiting for those tax cuts
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #279 on: May 21, 2018, 11:50:53 PM »

I like the passive aggressive attitude against Agnew Tongue Curious to see when, if at all, will his scandal break.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #280 on: May 22, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »

Yes, Brown did it! Hope Democrats can negotiate a tax raise on the wealthy on return for middle class tax breaks. Also hope Agnew is gone soon. Tongue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #281 on: May 29, 2018, 02:06:38 PM »

January 1, 1975: Robert Kennedy becomes Governor of New York

Ronald Reagan on his last day as governor. What's the road ahead for him? Is he getting involved with television again?

With the change in Sacramento, Ronald Reagan was now out of office, or, as he himself joked during the ceremony, "unemployed". Many asked what his future role is going to be in the nation and the Republican Party? At almost 64, the Gipper didn’t make the impression as he was ready for a quiet retirement, but other than “helping Republican candidates and policies” he didn’t say what he was going to do in the months and years ahead. He neither showed interest in being a senator, nor was any appointment within the administration a serious consideration since Richard Nixon was well-respected in his role as secretary of state, the only position Reagan might be interested in. Nixon would probably serve at least into the president's second term if he gets reelected; and if Tricky Dick was ever going to leave before Rocky, Henry Kissinger was widely recognized as "secretary of state in waiting". For 1976, there was certainly no realistic option for a new job in public office (other than senator from California, what Reagan ruled out time and time again). President Rockefeller essentially controlled the party at the national level and he also showed zero intention to replace Vice President Ford on the ticket.

Over the past couple of weeks, rumors began to swirl Reagan might return to the television business, where he came from long before getting into politics. What exactly his role would be was not specified, but obviously something political. Journalists openly suggested this would give Reagan a nationwide audience and the option to stay in the news and share his believes without being engaged in the day-by-day politics. In the long run, this could be a good preparation for another presidential run in 1980. Reagan and his team didn’t deny these rumors, raising further speculation he might plan a TV career. He also didn’t rule out running for office again though his aides, on January 4, again stated that the governor has no intention to seek the Republican nomination in 1976.

January 22, 1975: Former President Lyndon B. Johnson is dead

Former president Lyndon B. Johnson on his ranch a few months before his death

Stonewall, Texas: The nation is mourning as news broke that former president Lyndon B. Johnson died after suffering another, this time fatal, heart attack. Just two years and two days after leaving office, LBJ’s heart finally stopped beating. According to aides, the former president could not be saved as he was hit by the heart attack in his private bedroom. It was the third heart attack the Texan suffered; the last has been in May 1971 while in office, when he just barely survived and underwent a difficult surgery. He was 66 years old, or a month younger than President Nelson Rockefeller. Mr. Johnson's two year retirement sadly remains one of the shortest in presidential history, leaving many things undone he planned in his post-White House life. President Rockefeller immediately declared a state of mourning and gave a brief statement to inform the nation of the passing of the 36th president. In his remarks, Rocky praised his predecessor for his accomplishments in civil rights, social justice and the beginning of détente in the last three years of his prudency. “A great man has left the stage, but America will always remember him and owes a deep gratitude for the man who led our nation between 1963 and 1973”, he said. Many other politicians across the spectrum spoke high of the former head of state as well, even opponents such as Barry Goldwater found friendly words. Bobby Kennedy, who started off with a troubling relationship with LBJ that later developed into at least a political friendship, also spoke favorably of his former boss under whom he served as vice president for four years. He praised him as a “good man”, the Great Society in particular and, for the first time, said that LBJ took the nation in the right direction after his brother’s death.

Lying in state at the Capitol, people pay their last respects to the former president who passed away

On January 25, 1975, the former president was given a state funeral that was attended by all high-ranking members of the administration, congress and other leaders including the Kennedys.

With LBJ’s death, Nelson Rockefeller as the incumbent remains as the only living American president now. All former presidents are dead. The last time this happend was just a short time ago, during the final weeks of the Johnson Administration, when Harry S. Truman died in December 1972 and LBJ was the only living president himself (Nelson Rockefeller has already been president-elect though).
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #282 on: May 30, 2018, 04:57:52 PM »

How come Johnson lives longer in this timeline? I'd have thought serving a longer Presidency would have been more stressful and make his health worse.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #283 on: June 02, 2018, 03:26:32 AM »

How come Johnson lives longer in this timeline? I'd have thought serving a longer Presidency would have been more stressful and make his health worse.

Well, I know a lot of people believe he would have died during the last term. But LBJ took less care about him once he left office in 1969. He resumed smoking and ate unhealthy in his post-presidential years. And he still had a busy schedule after leaving office as well. However, it is impossible to tell what might have a bigger effect: The presidency or his lifestyle from 1969 to 1973.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #284 on: June 02, 2018, 03:35:31 AM »

I think we're going to have an interesting situation in this TL where Presidents barely survive their terms, twice. I mean, there's Johnson, and now we're going to have Rocky, who died in 1979 IOTL, but I guess will survive a couple years longer here thanks to the Presidency. Also, both of them might die of a heart attack.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #285 on: June 02, 2018, 03:48:41 AM »

President Nelson Rockefeller’s State of the Union Address; January 28, 1975

Ahead of his speech in front of congress, President Rockefeller gets greeted by Vice President Ford

President Nelson Rockefeller’s second official State of the Union Address took place on January 28, 1975 in the Chamber of the House of Representatives, where he congratulated all newly elected members. Going into the third year of his presidency, Rocky had to tell lawmakers and the nation: “To the truth belongs to tell you that the domestic state of our union is not good. The economy slipped into a recession, inflation is on the rise, millions of Americans are out of work and the federal budget is running nearing a twenty billion dollar debt this year alone.” To overcome this struggle, the president proposed a broad range of policies. The two most important things were a far-reaching tax cut to benefit the middle class and small to medium sized businesses, a bold infrastructure program and a cuts in spending. These spending cuts effect, according to the White House, several areas from social programs to the military as well. However, social services such as Medicare and Social Security remain untouched and Rocky promised to protect these programs. The president further reaffirmed his willingness to work out a plan for more energy independence. In the context he praised Secretary Anderson for his efforts. Crime policy was, surprisingly, just briefly mentioned and the president didn’t bring up Spiro Agnew’s policies at all.

He then moved to foreign policy: “I can gladly report that America continues to be at peace and is major factor in the world for stability”, the chief executive remarked, “our negotiations with the Soviets are on the right track and I believe we can submit a treaty to this body by the end of the legislative term.” President Rockefeller also spoke on the success of the Good Neighbor Policy and told the nation: “Soon, I will appoint a delegation for concrete negotiations on the Panama Canal Zone.” While the announcement received applause from liberals and moderates of both parties, the conservatives remained silent as they oppose a turning-over of the zone. President Rockefeller concluded his 40 minute speech with a call upon all Americans to “stand for what is right and move ahead with courage, wisdom and determination to make our land a better place.” Last but not least, he expressed his optimism about the economic challenges ahead.

The Democratic response

Freshman senator Patrick Leahy (D-VT) was selected to give the SOTUS rubuttal

Early on, the Democratic leadership decided to allow a newcomer to give the official rebuttal to the president’s address. Jerry Brown was rumored to take the role, but the choice ultimately fell on freshman senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont, who just got elected the first Democrat ever to represent the small New England state in the upper house of congress. In his remarks, Leahy said: “In his address, the president barely told us anything new. Foreign policy was going great while we need to do a little here and there at home to move the economy forward. But giving the fact that millions of Americans are struggling from unemployment, rising costs, an energy crisis and poor schools, we need to do more as a country. Cuts in social services to appease budget hawks won’t solve the problem, instead we need structural changes.” He also pointed out that the economy was in better shape under presidents Kennedy and Johnson. Foreign policy was not a big topic in the speech since there were less differences and the Democrats knew that the economic conditions were the main concern of most Americans. 

George McGovern angers fellow Democrats with unofficial response

Not everyone liked Senator McGovern's surprise speech

Hubert Humphrey early on agreed with Carl Albert that potential presidential candidates should not be given the platform of the official State of the Union Address. However, on January 30, Senator George McGovern gave an official speech in Washington to “conter” the president’s speech. In his remarks, McGovern focused on social injustice and directly attacked President Rockefeller, saying a “billionaire from the wealthiest family in the nation” could hardly be a champion for social justice. He further targeted the administration’s “disastrous crime policy”, which only focuses on “tough punishment instead of prevention”. “Ladies and Gentlemen, this isn’t the right way forward for America. We must offer a better solution for everybody”, the senator told his fellow countrymen. Although liberal Democrats openly praised McGovern, he angered many within the leadership including Humphrey. Majority Whip Robert Byrd (D-WV) spoke of a “campaign stunt” and urged McGovern to focus on the daily issues that matter. Especially southern Democrats, even liberal and moderate ones, were outraged. “Mr. McGovern better focusses on his constituency instead of running around and making campaign speeches so early”, Senator Lawton Chiles (D-FL) commented. And even a spokesman for New York governor Robert Kennedy described the action as "not very helpful", although the message itsself was correct. Although the White House ignored McGovern, some other Republicans attacked sharply back. Former California Governor Ronald Reagan said he wishes for McGovern to run against the president in 1976, because he would “get destroyed”. Vice President Ford pointed to the responses McGovern got from his fellow Democrats and said the party was “too divided to me entrusted with America’s leadership”. However, if McGovern's goal was to garner attention months ahead before the 1976 election cycle would start, he was certainly successful and now more than ever on the president's radar.

January 31, 1975: New Gallup poll

In case Rocky hoped his State of the Union Address would help his numbers, he must be disappointed. The president's numbers have not improved. Instead, his approval his at its low point so far, standing at just 41%. A level, that hasn't been reached for any president since LBJ in early 1968. However, Democrats should not get ahead of themselves and think he'll be too easy to beat in 1976.

Approve: 41%
Disapprove: 52%
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #286 on: June 02, 2018, 11:53:25 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So Jimmy Carter is more known in this TL if he's at the top Democratic primary polls? Unless he was elected Governor earlier. If that's the case, maybe there would not be « Jimmy Who? ».
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #287 on: June 03, 2018, 02:19:09 AM »

So Jimmy Carter is more known in this TL if he's at the top Democratic primary polls? Unless he was elected Governor earlier. If that's the case, maybe there would not be « Jimmy Who? ».
He was RFK's running mate in '72
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #288 on: June 03, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »

He was RFK's running mate in '72

And there was a televised TV debate with Gerald Ford; the first vice presidential in (alternate) history Smiley
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #289 on: June 04, 2018, 01:41:35 PM »

February 8, 1975: Secretary of State Nixon announces agreement with Beijing on bilateral relations and Vietnam

Secretary of State Richard Nixon came back from Beijing with some agreements

Secretary of State Richard Nixon spent the first days of the month in Asia for various diplomatic missions. As the American public just learned after his return, the secretary came together with Chinese Leader Mao for talks; the first visit of a high-ranking US government official since President Lyndon Johnson first visited the country in late 1971 for informal talks. According to the State Department, Nixon and Mao came to an agreement that China reduces its aid for Hanoi, while the US in return would open direct negotiation with Beijing, whose ultimate goal was diplomatic recognition and a seat in the UN Security Council. Nixon also demanded further pressure on Hanoi to end all remaining sabotage acts within South Vietnam by communist forces (Beijing publically claims to have no power over the issue).

The press almost immediately speculated that in the coming months President Rockefeller would have a summit with the Chinese leadership and that this was also a strategy to pressure Moscow in the ongoing SALT talks. The White House didn’t deny these reports.

February 20, 1975: A 100 billion dollar infrastructure package for America

President Nelson Rockefeller signs a major infrastructure package into law

In the end, it happened faster than anticipated, that a broad coalition of Democrats and Republicans in congress agreed on a 100 billion dollar infrastructure package, that is mainly focused on highways, bridges and waterways. Although deficit hawks of both parties were skeptical of the high cost, a vast majority approved the plan submitted by Transportation Secretary Walter Peterson. When he signed the measure into law, President Rockefeller praised its bipartisan nature and said the program would benefit the economy. The bill passage was considered a huge success for the administration, although Senate Democrats prevented a lot of so called “public private partnerships” in road construction. The bill is the first major legislation coming out of the 94th Congress.

February 28, 1975: New Gallup poll

At the end of February, the president's approval rating has improved a little; possibly because the infrastructure package is viewed positively and the White House renewed its call for tax cuts. However, half of the country still disapproves Rocky's performance in office.

Approve: 45%
Disapprove: 50%

March 3, 1975: BOMBSHELL in Washington!

AGNEW UNDER INVESTIGATION FOR CORRUPTION

Attorney General, under pressure, denies corruption allegations during public service in Maryland

WASHINGTON - Most recent reports the Washington Post received reveal that Attorney General Spiro Agnew is under investigation for corruption charges during his tenure as Baltimore County Executive and Governor of Maryland. According to various sources, the US District Attorney for the State of Maryland in late 1973 opened an investigation into various corruption cases in Maryland that involved kickbacks for certain government contracts. Until the previous winter, Mr. Agnew, who served as county executive from 1962 to 1966 and governor from 1967 to 1973, was not a subject in any of these investigations that resulted in a number of indictments before federal courts. However, over the course of the ongoing research, Mr. Agnew came into the district attorney’s focus in late 1974. Just a few weeks later, leaked papers from the attorney’s office, dated early January 1975, disclosed that the attorney general not only had been alleged of corrupt actions, but that payments continued into his tenure in the Justice Department. At least these payments do not fall under the statute of limitations, what means, he can be indicted for wrongdoings. Local Democratic groups have long accused Mr. Agnew of being corrupt, but there were never credible sources to back the claims up. The whole issue was even not paid much attention to during Mr. Agnew's confirmation hearings before the senate in early 1973.

According to our sources, the US Attorney’s office informed the Justice Department itself shorty after and, on February 7, President Nelson Rockefeller through White House Chief of Staff Charles Goodell. Mr. Agnew subsequently met with the president, the vice president and the chief of staff and insisted, he was innocent. However, Mr. Rockefeller ordered Mr. Agnew to recuse himself from the entire process and leave Deputy Attorney General Richard Kleindienst oversee the investigation on behalf of the department. What now caused the Washington Post to submit this information to the public was a letter, dated March 1, from the US District Attorney to Mr. Agnew’s private lawyers, that the attorney general was under investigation for corruption and tax evaluation.

The Justice Department did not react to an inquiry by the Washington Post, but confirmed that Mr. Agnew would soon give a public statement. The White House also declined to comment, but it is obvious that Mr. Agnew can't stay in office if these claims are accurate. Especially his credibility as chief law-enforcement officer in country would be not just damaged, but destroyed. Going into the third year of the Rockefeller presidency, Attorney General Spiro Agnew is on his way to bring about the greatest scandal this administration has suffered from so far. In a time, the president has too many other pressing issues to deal with that keep him busy.

Agnew: "Reporting is a disgrace, claims are lies"

Immediately after the article made national news, Agnew held a brief press conference on March 4, at which he called the story "full of damned lies" and “a disgrace”. He also took aim at the leakers, saying they would stand against anything the rule of law represents. He also added it was "the same lousy playbook that Democrats used against him in Maryland that failed more than once."

Notable was the lukewarm public support from Republicans at Capitol Hill and the administration itself. "We wait and see what the outcome will be. If true or an indictment comes along, this would be a game changer. But I don't want to be premature here", Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ) is quoted. Democrats mainly stayed silent and, like Goldwater, demanded the investigation to complete, while George McGovern already called upon the attorney general to resign for "this thing and many other misdoings on office". According to insiders, Agnew’s relation with the president has been impaired since at least his questionable and agressive actions during the midterm election campaign. The White House still had no official comment other than it wanted to wait for a final report by the district attorney, but an aide to Vice President Ford told a reporter it would be "hard to imagine, how this could not have far-reaching consequences."
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #290 on: June 05, 2018, 12:05:46 AM »

Finally! This is about to get bad for Agnew Tongue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #291 on: June 05, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »

March 15, 1975: Spiro Agnew resigns as Attorney General, appears before court and gets fined

After two colorful years as head of the Justice Department, Spiro Agnew is forced to quiet his job over a corruption scandal.

Spiro Agnew spent the first half of March in vigorous but hopeless battle to survive, but on March 14, 1975, he had to appear before court in Baltimore after reports revealed he entered negotiations over a plea bargain. Agnew, who pled no contest to tax evasion for the years 1967 and 1968 and was fined 20,000 dollars and placed on three years' unsupervised probation. Later that day he reportedly returned to Washington and met with President Rockefeller to inform him of his resignation the following day. Whether there would be addition prosecution was a decision to make by Deputy Attorney General Richard Kleindienst, who took over as acting attorney general that same day, leading the department until a successor was chosen and confirmed by the senate. The White House confirmed that President Rockefeller would not interfere in the process and was not considering to use his pardon power.

Congressional Republicans reacted positive to the resignation and expressed their hope a new attorney general would restore public confidence in the Justice Department. Democrats were surprisingly calm, even George McGovern refrained from comments.

After two event- and colorful years as attorney general, the time of Spiro Agnew comes to a steeply end. Without a doubt, he had been the most feisty attack dog for Republicans and the Rockefeller Administration, while he drew Democrats, especially the McGovern faction, crazy. Although he maintains a lot of fans, especially among Republicans, for his tough anti-crime policy, the public career of Spiro Agnew is over. Before his scandal broke, some sources claimed President Rockefeller planned to replace Agnew by the end of his first term and make him Chair of the RNC; but things went differently. What Agnew leaves behind after his departure is a controversial war on drugs that even some supporters consider out of control. It is now up to the president, to select a new attorney general to continue or modify these policies. He has certainly been one of the most controversial and colorful attorneys general in American history.

March 21, 1975: Former Governor Jimmy Carter openly floats presidential run

Jimmy Carter has an eye on the next election cycle

For the first time since he had to leave the governorship in January, Jimmy Carter gave an exclusive interview to the New York Times in which he addressed issues of the day and his future. The former Georgia chief executive, 50 years of age, openly regretted to have been the last governor of his state, who had to step down after one term due to term limits. Asked whether he’s planning to run for president in 1976, he responded: “I strongly consider to seek my party’s nomination in 1976. I am currently in the exploring process and will be making a decision public within a few months”, the 1972 vice presidential nominee said. Carter pointed out that the 1972 election result proved his strengths for a general election, especially in the South against a northern Republican like Rocky. However, he admitted it would take a bold strategy and smart campaign to beat the president. When the Times wanted to know what his main issues would be, he answered: “The economy, of course, jobs, inflation, better government and human rights in foreign policy”. Carter also confirmed that he stays in touch with his former running mate Bobby Kennedy and asks for his advise. But RFK, he said, is not likely to endorse a candidate before the nominating process is completed.

In surveys taken since the 1972 election, Jimmy Carter continues to poll strong among the Democratic field, along with George McGovern and Edmund Muskie. He’s also polling better than McGovern in general election match-ups, but a little weaker than Muskie. The primary schedule next year may be an asset for him, since southern states mostly vote early in the process. However, other high-profile Southerners like Senator Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) and Florida Governor Reubin Askew also consider a run. Senator Albert Brewer (D-AL) or Robert Byrd (D-WV), who were also considered strong contenders, ruled out seeking the Democratic nomination.

March 31, 1975: New Gallup polls, including for 1976

Spiro Agnew's scandal is also dragging down Nelson Rockefeller's numbers, which fell to a new all time low: Only 39% approve his job performance, while 54% disapprove. The only area where Rocky still gets very high approvals is foreign policy. His weak approval rating also impacts general election match-ups, with some potential challengers now being in striking distance. Edmund Muskie even breaks even with the president in the March polls. Meanwhile, George McGovern has taken the lead within the Democratic field as Jimmy Carter is in second place, just above Edmund Muskie and Lloyd Bentsen. All others are way behind, though it is very early in the cycle and no serious candidate even announced a run.

Approve: 39%
Disapprove: 54%

Senator George McGovern: 22%
Former Governor Jimmy Carter: 18%
Senator Edmund Muskie: 17%
Senator Lloyd Bentsen: 11%
Senator Scoop Jackson: 6%
Governor Reubin Askew: 5%
Representative Mo Udall: 4%
Senator Ted Kennedy: 2%
Senator Frank Church: 1%
Governor Milton Shapp: 1%
Someone else/undecided: 13%

Jimmy Carter (D): 46%

George McGovern (D): 44%

Nelson Rockefeller (R, inc.): 46%
Edmund Muskie (D): 46%

Scoop Jackson (D): 44%

Nelson Rockefeller (R, inc.): 46%
Reubin Askew (D): 45%

Mo Udall (D): 44%

Frank Church (D): 45%

Milton Shapp (D): 43%

Ted Kennedy (D): 43%
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #292 on: June 09, 2018, 05:06:05 AM »

April 2, 1975: President Rockefeller to nominate new attorney general by month?s end, some prominent names being rumored

Who would be lead the Justice Department and become America's new attorney general after Spiro Agnew's resignation?

The White House just announced that President Rockefeller will name a new attorney general to replace Spiro Agnew by the end of April. The printing press brought up several names that were put before the president. Among them was Richard Kleindienst, the deputy attorney general who currently heads the justice department as interim officeholder. Another high favorite was New York state attorney general Louis Lefkowitz, a liberal Republican and long-time ally of the president. Former governor Malcolm Wilson, another close friend of the president, was also mentioned as a potential nominee since Wilson became a frequent guest at the White House in the last few months. Wilson would also be acceptable for Republican conservatives due to his strong anti-drug policy. He?d actually be the closest to Agnew, with a ?tough on crime but civil rights friendly? record. Other names mentioned were Deputy Commerce Secretary Elliot Richardson, former Senator William B. Saxbe (R-OH) and California State Attorney General Evelle J. Younger. According to the New York Times, Wilson was to most likely choice to head to Justice Department, because Nelson Rockefeller long wanted his former right-handed man, who voters rejected last fall in favor of RFK, back in the game. However, Wilson was also rumored for other roles such as RNC Chair or head of Nelson Rockefeller?s reelection campaign.

A broader cabinet reorganization?

What planned President Rockefeller ahead of the new attorney general announcement?

By mid-April, more and more newspapers reported on the basis of insider information that President Nelson Rockefeller not just planned to appoint a new attorney general, but also intended to replace more cabinet members. Since the last fall, for example, it was being told that Treasury Secretary Joseph Barr would step down after seven years of service (Barr, a moderate Democrat, was a holdover from the Johnson Administration). Margaret Chase-Smith was also rumored to retire at the age of 78 after she kept a low-profile as Health Secretary. Another likely retiree was Labor Secretary Thomas Kuchel; a former senator like Chase-Smith, he was barely visible during the last two years as well.

Not part of the conversation were Secretary of State Richard Nixon, Defense Secretary George Romney, UN Ambassador Bill Scranton, Transportation Secretary Walter Peterson and Energy Secretary John B. Anderson. These five were liked by the public and had Rocky?s full confidence. Interior Secretary John Arthur Love and National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger were also seen as very unlikely to leave the administration any time soon. Especially Kissinger had a very close relation with the president and well connected with Nixon and Romney. HUD Secretary George Allen, a progressive Democrat from Georgia, was also taken out of the conservation after he said he would back no candidate in 1976 opposed to the president; obviously referring to fellow Georgian Jimmy Carter?s presidential comments.

April 12, 1975: Robert Kennedy?s strong first 100 days in Albany

In his first 100 days as chief executive, New York Governor Bobby Kennedy implemented a lot of his policies

It?s been 100 days on April 12, 1975, since Robert Kennedy became Governor of New York. He spent the day to remember the 40th anniversary of FDR?s death, who also held the governorship before becoming president. During his first 100 days, Governor Kennedy had a pretty solid record to present to the public:

- Passed an emergency bill to expand healthcare to New Yorkers; a similar measure was already planned under then-Governor Rockefeller in 1971, but failed in the state legislature.

- Additional measures to protect civil rights of women and blacks

- A 100 million dollar program to invest into rural infrastructure

- A new freedom-of-information law on the state level for more accountability within the state government

- Passed various consumer protection laws

- Increased funds of science and early childhood education and successfully negotiated higher federal aid to education with the Rockefeller Administration

- Appointed a high number of African Americans and women to administration and judical posts. The Kennedy Executive Chamber was also one of the youngest in the country.

Governor Kennedy also asked the legislature to repeal the Wilson Drug Laws of 1973 and implement a new drug prevention program, but the measure failed in the state senate, where Democrats just hold a slim majority (some Democrats oppose the governor on this issue). But RFK used his executive powers and granted some commutations and reduced punishments for drug abusers that he saw as unjustified. Especially the black community was affected by his actions. Conservative Republicans in the state and in congress accused Kennedy of being ?weak on crime?. But ironically, he continued several policies begun under Nelson Rockefeller such as housing, civil rights, investments in the infrastructure and protection of the environment.

Nevertheless, several press observers gave the new governor high grades for his job performance so far. A New York Times poll showed that 72% of New Yorkers approved RFK?s doing as chief executive.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: June 12, 2018, 01:34:10 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2018, 04:27:19 AM by President Johnson »

April 25, 1975

BREAKING: President Rockefeller makes history and nominates Edward Brooke for Attorney General

A deeply moved Senator Edward Brooke speaks before the press after President Rockefeller introduced him as nominee for attorney general

Just announced the previous day, on April 25, 1975, President Nelson Rockefeller assembled the press at the White House to announce his pick for Attorney General. Several names were floated in recent weeks since the resignation of Spiro Agnew. Not mentioned was Senator Edward Brooke from Massachusetts. Although recognized for his law credentials, Brooke was not reported on Rocky?s shortlist for the position as America?s chief law enforcement officer. Brooke, a moderate or liberal New England Republican and early supporter of the president, became the first elected African American senator in 1966 (he was reelected in 1972). In the senate, Brooke earned respect across the spectrum for his candor. A strong civil rights advocate, he kept out of racial identity politics and focused on a wide range of issues during his senate term. Before entering the senate, the 55 year old Mr. Brooke already served as Attorney General of Massachusetts for four years.

During his announcement speech, President Rockefeller said Brooke?s selection was ?the right thing to do at an approriate time?. ?I am delighted to offer this position to a long-time friend, who will make an outstanding attorney general for this proud nation?, the president further remarked. He also added ?I sincerely hope that Senator Brooke?s appointment contributes to better race relations, although this whole issue is far more than a job in upper government ranks.? Senator Brooke almost fell in tears and thanked the president for his trust and confidence and said he would ?defend the rights of all Americans as a humble servant of all Americans.?

If confirmed by his colleagues, Brooke would be the first black attorney general in US history and only the second black cabinet member after former HUD Secretary Robert Weaver, who served under President Lyndon Johnson. The reactions from Capitol Hill had a positive tone. Senate Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey (D-MN) spoke of a ?wise choice?. Minority Leader Hugh Scott (R-PA) expressed his confidence that Brooke would win senate confirmation very easily. From a pure partisan standpoint, the selection was not ideal since Brooke?s senate seat would likely go to the Democrats: The governor of Massachusetts, who had to appoint a successor, was Michael Dukakis, a Democrat. Dukakis? nominee would serve up to 1976, when a special election is expected to take place for the remainder of the term (the seat is regularly up again for election in 1978). However, President Rockefeller was obviously that much impressed to forgo a senate seat for his fellow Republicans since control of the chamber did not hang in the balance. Insiders told the press Brooke originally advised the president for a nominee during routine consultations between the White House and lawmakers. Later on, Rockefeller reportdely asked the senator himself whether he wanted the job. Brooke, who suggested the nomination of Richard Kleindienst, then agreed to join the cabinet after his wife urged him to do so.

Whether Brooke?s nomination was a departure from the tough anti-crime and anti-drug policies under Spiro Agnew, as some observers suggested, remains to be seen. With Edward Brooke, undoubtedly, more calm and less politicization would return to the Justice Department. When a reporter asked about his approach, Brooke said "I want to uphold the law and not play politics. Let others do this."

April 30, 1975: President Rockefeller reorganizes administration

On April 30, 1975, President Nelson Rockefeller announced more changes to his administration

It has been rumored for some time, now it is official: At the White House, President Nelson Rockefeller announced a broader reorganization of his cabinet. After the selection of a new attorney general, more cabinet officers will be replaced. Most of them are not too surprising.

Secretary of the Treasury Joseph Barr, in office since 1968 and a holdover from the Johnson Administration, is retiring from office. Barr already requested behind closed doors to retire in November 1974, but the president asked him to stay on until sometime in spring 1975. To replace him, President Rockefeller will nominate former Pennsylvania Governor Raymond P. Shafer to head the Treasury Department. Commerce Secretary John Connally was originally rumored to switch the position. But Shafer?s name was put before the president by UN Ambassador Bill Scranton, under whom Shafer served as lieutenant governor and later succeeded in the governor?s chair. Shafer already played a role in the presidential transition, was a loyal Rockefeller supporter in 1972 and an occasional White House advisor on various policy matters. Now he will join the cabinet an a not unimportant role. It is likely that Shafer will continue Barr?s work.

Former Pennsylvania Governor Raymond P. Shafer is nominated to take over the Treasury Department

Secretary of Health Margaret Chase-Smith will also step down. At the age of 78, she returns home to Maine, where she served as first elected female senator before joining the administration. White House Chief of Staff Charles Goodell will succeed her in office and leave the White House after one year. Like Chase-Smith, he has also been a senator who lost a bid for reelection. Goodell said his focus would be ?more efficiency of programs? and ?more healthcare coverage?. The reason for this move from the White House to the Labor Department is obviously his successor's closeness to the president and not any disagreements. Therefore, President Rockefeller intended to keep Mr. Goodell in his team.

Like his predecessor as chief of staff John B. Anderson, Charles Goodell moves from the White House to the cabinet table

Secretary of Labor Thomas Kuchel, 67 years old, retires from public service as well. While a staunchly pro-civil rights senator in the 1960s, Kuchel kept a much lower profile as head of the Labor Department, although he was at the forefront during various labor negotiations. To replace him, President Rockefeller came up with a dark horse: He chose former congresswoman Catherine Dean May from Washington state. Hardly familiar with the chief executive personally, Rocky intended to have another woman in his cabinet after Margaret Chase-Smith is about to leave. May served in the house from 1959 to 1971 as a Republican. According to insider sources, Vice President Gerald Ford suggested her name to his boss (as he is very familiar with the GOP caucus from his time as minority leader). May will be the second female Labor Secretary of Francis Perkins, who was the first woman to serve in the cabinet under President Franklin Roosevelt.

Following Margaret Chase-Smith's departure, Catherine Dean May will be the only woman at a cabinet-level position. She got nominated for Labor Secretary

Due to Charles Goodell?s nomination as new Health Secretary, the position as White House Chief of Staff also needed to be filled again. Not very surprising, President Rockefeller selected former New York governor Malcolm Wilson for the job to run his White House. Wilson, who served as lieutenant governor during the Rockefeller governorship, has long been a very close friend of the president and was known as ?Rocky?s right-handed man? for a long time. Now, he?s again working for his former boss and expected to be a pretty strong chief of staff because of his very close relationship with the chief executive. Wilson becomes the third chief of staff in the Rockefeller White House within a little more than two years, but likely to stay on longer than his two predecessors. Because the chief of staff does not need senate confirmation, the change was already effective on May 1.

Just a few months after his retirement from politics, Malcolm Wilson is back in the game. Like in New York, he'll again be Rocky's right-handed man. This time as White House Chief of Staff.

All other cabinet officers remain in office. The press noted that Nelson Rockefeller kept his entire foreign policy team in place, what means that these key players were operating on much common ground.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #294 on: June 14, 2018, 01:50:43 AM »

Yes, Agnew is gone. I like the selection of Brooke and hope he moves away from the war on drugs (but too early in time I guess). Also great to see that RFK does fine.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: June 15, 2018, 02:41:03 AM »

FF cabinet!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #296 on: June 16, 2018, 04:26:35 AM »

April 30, 1975: New Gallup poll

The president's approval ratings are still underwater due to the economic stagflation.

Approve: 40%
Disapprove: 51%

May 2, 1975

BREAKING: President Rockefeller announces military action against the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia

President Nelson Rockefeller announces on May 2, 1975, that he will order the military to take action against the Khmer Rouge

In the shadow of the Vietnam conflict, that continued in the underground after the 1971 peace accords, another civil war took place in the South-East Asia: In Cambodia, communist forces of the Khmer Rouge sought power. Over the past months, they killed thousands of civilians and political opponents. As the public now learned, Secretary of State Richard Nixon already told Mao in his February visit to Beijing, that America would no longer accept the Khmer Rouge?s attacks on Cambodian sovereignty and many human rights violations. Instead, he demanded the return of Prince Sihanouk, who was compelled to go into exile. Sihanouk was originally a neutral force during the neighboring Vietnam War in the 1960s, but now under siege by the communist Khmer Rouge.

As the Times reported on May 1, President Rockefeller was just informed by US intelligence, that Khmer Rouge would soon conquer the Cambodian capital Pnom Penh. After consultations with his foreign policy team, the president on the night of May 2 gave a brief statement on television to announce steps his government will take. He was not available for questions by journalists.

President Rockefeller: My fellow Americans, members of the world community: Over the past few months, I have received extremely concerning information about the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. This is a guerrilla force that intends to establish an oppressive communist regime in Cambodia. Over the past weeks, their activities have substantially increased; we have clear proof of mass executions, torture and other crimes against humanity. This barbaric group tortures any innocent civilian not willing to fully support their mission. They have already brought massive toil and suffering to the people of Cambodia, which can no longer be tolerated. The world community cannot stand by and witness these forces taking power in neighboring South Vietnam, which has just started to prosper again. Therefore, as president and commander-in-chief, I have ordered the armed forces of the United States to take action against the Khmer Rouge. As I speak to you, Air bombardment is already in execution. US Special Forces on the ground are joined by our allies from Thailand, South Vietnam and Canada will also take action against the Khmer Rouge. In addition, our efforts are supported by local Cambodian forces, who want to preserve peace and stability in their country. I made this decision after intense consultations with my foreign policy team and have already informed congressional leaders about the steps we?re taking. In addition, the governments of the USSR and People?s Republic of China were also informed by Secretary of State Richard Nixon and UN Ambassador William Scranton.

To avoid any controversy, let me make it clear, that the United States does not seek to occupy the free nation of Cambodia. Neither to do we seek to expand military actions in South East Asia. This is not a second Vietnam conflict, it is limited operation to prevent a brutal force from taking power and starting something we regard as a genocide.

Thank you for listening, good night and god bless the United States of America.

May 2 ? 11, 1975: US and allied forces push Khmer Rouge back, Beijing stands still

A US air strike targets Khmer Rouge forces in Cambodia; May 4, 1975

Over the next nine days after President Rockefeller?s announcement, American and allied forces pushed back the Khmer Rouge. The US Air Force flew dozens of air strikes against the communist forces that suffered heavy casualties. But there were no official statistics about the number of losses. Against the heavy B52 bombers, the Khmer Rouge had no weaponry. By May 11, the situation was somewhat stabilized and Khmer forces retreated back in the jungle. Pnom Penh was out of their reach ? at least for now. On May 12, Secretary of Defense George Romney informed the public that the ?aggressor suffered such heavy losses, that a soon power overtake was very unlikely?. Although ground operations by Special Forces would continue for some time, the operation was largely completed by mid-May. Romney further emphasized there should be foreign aid to Cambodia to stabilize the country and help the civilians. The Rockefeller Administration was willing to contribute with a larger sum, the secretary said.

Meanwhile, Beijing was largely standing still and did not directly criticize the US for the action. The Washington Post suggested that the Rockefeller Administration was ready to grant Red China a diplomatic status in exchange for ?help with South East Asia?. In a February meeting with Mao, Secretary Nixon already got the Politburo to military cut aid to the regime in Hanoi. It was rumored that Mao would meet President Rockefeller later this year; but the president was only ready to talk and negotiate under certain pre-conditions. In a time, when the US was already in arms reduction talks with the USSR, China was also interested in a normalized relation in order to play a bigger role on the world stage and counter the Soviet Union as leading nation within the communist block. "The Rockefeller Administration realized this and takes advantage from it", a foreign policy expert told Walter Cronkite an interview on TV.

May 22, 1975: UN Security Council passes Cambodia resolution

UN Ambassador Bill Scranton, together with National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger in the background, played a major role in passing a resolution against the Khmer Rouge

Soon after the he ordered military action, President Rockefeller demanded the UN to pass a resolution, condemning the Khmer Rouge and their crimes. Over the last few days, UN Ambassador Bill Scranton was engaged in extensive talks to other members of the Security Council, especially the Soviet Union. First it looked like the Soviets were not ready to agree to any meaningful measure. But according to insiders, Henry Kissinger got involved and spoke directly to Moscow through secret channels. He used the ongoing SALT II talks, that Russians badly wanted for economic reasons, to pressure the Soviet leadership. A White House leak also revealed that President Nelson Rockefeller directly spoke with Secretary General Leonid Brezhnev on the phone and told him: ?I have just approved even more grain deliveries to your country, because I want to help the Soviet people. But now I need your help with that resolution, okay??

On May 22, 1975, the UN Security Council passed a resolution condemning the Khmer Rouge and demanding an end to their guerilla actions. The US-led military action was not specifically addressed in the resolution, since the Russians were not ready to formally accept it. But the resolution confirmed Cambodia?s ?neutral status?, meaning that no foreign power from either side would be permitted to occupy with troops. The issue of foreign aid was not part of the agreement, but Scranton said multilateral talks, led by Secretary Nixon, between the US, the USSR and partners in the region will take place soon to find a solution. On May 24, President Rockefeller in advance approved the delivery of 250,000 tons of food to prevent a famine.

At home in congress, the administration was largely praised by both Democrats and Republicans alike. Even Ronald Reagan, who appeared on various political talkshows, spoke of bold American leadership on the world stage.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: June 20, 2018, 02:28:09 PM »

May 30, 1975: All new cabinet secretaries confirmed by senate

The White House Cabinet Room in 1975 during the Rockefeller Administration

Exactly one month after President Rockefeller presented almost a handful of new cabinet secretaries, the senate approved all nominees with a clear majority.

- Edward Brooke confirmed as Attorney General: 89 aye, 9 nay
- Raymond P. Shafer confirmed as Secretary of the Treasury: 96 aye, 3 nay
- Charles Goodell confirmed as Secretary of Health: 95 aye, 5 nay
- Catherine Dean May confirmed as Secretary of Labor: 95 aye, 4 nay

Malcolm Wilson as White House Chief of Staff did not need senate approval. On May 30, 1975, Vice President Gerald Ford swore in all new members of the administration at the White House.

May 31, 1975: New Gallup poll

After the successful military operation against the Khmer Rouge and the reorganization of the cabinet, President Rockefeller's approval rating bounced back into net positive territory. How long it lasts, remains to be seen. In addition, some more policy questions and other leading figures in Washington were polled as well. The president receives the strongest support for his conduct of foreign policy; over seven in ten Americans approve Rocky's handling of foreign affairs. That also reflect the strong numbers Richard Nixon and George Romney receive for his performance in office. Gerald Ford is also polling high with the public.

Approve: 49%
Disapprove: 44%

Questions

Q: Do you approve or disapprove President Rockefeller's foreign policy in general?
Approve: 71%
Disapprove: 21%
Undecided: 8%

Q: Do you approve or disapprove President Rockefeller's economic policy?
Approve: 40%
Disapprove: 48%
Undecided: 12%

Q: Do you approve or disapprove Vice President Ford's performance in office?
Approve: 59%
Disapprove: 30%
Undecided: 11%

Q: Do you approve or disapprove Secretary of State Nixon's performance in office?
Approve: 60%
Disapprove: 27%
Undecided: 13%

Q: Do you approve or disapprove Secretary of Defense Romney's performance in office?
Approve: 62%
Disapprove: 24%
Undecided: 14%

Q: Do you approve or disapprove Attorney General Brooke's performance in office?
Approve: 37%
Disapprove: 20%
Undecided: 43%

Q: Do you approve or disapprove Majority Leader Humphrey's performance in office?
Approve: 52%
Disapprove: 38%
Undecided: 10%

Q: Do you approve or disapprove the work of congress?
Approve: 38%
Disapprove: 42%
Undecided: 20%

June 2, 1975: Reubin Askew and Ted Kennedy rule out presidential run

Both Governor Reubin Askew and Senator Ted Kennedy are not running for president in 1976

Within just a day, both Florida Governor Reubin Askew and Senator Ted Kennedy confirmed they’re not seeking the Democratic presidential nomination in 1976. Askew, a moderate and popular southern governor, said his focus was on finishing his second term in Tallahassee. He was seen as a strong contender, since President Rockefeller is polling above average in Florida. As it look now, the southern support may go to Jimmy Carter and Lloyd Bentsen. Both are reportedly preparing a presidential bid. Who would win their respective endorsements had yet to be seen.

Despite his modest approval rating at the moment, political observers consider President Rockefeller in a strong position to win reelection. Although he has avoided talking about the election, there is little doubt Rocky will seek a second term and is expected to face very little or no opposition within the Republican Party.

June 18, 1975: President Rockefeller signs Tax Reduction and Economic Growth Act into law

President Nelson Rockefeller signs the most meaningful tax cut in over a decade into law; June 18, 1975

To tackle to economic stagflation, President Nelson Rockefeller long endorsed tax cuts to stimulate growth. Back in March, he presented a tax plan to the public that would have simplified the tax code into four brackets and reduced the tax burden for middle class Americans and businesses. Democrats on Capitol Hill had some reservations about the matter and demanded tax increases for upper incomes to compensate the losses in revenue, what the administration and Republican allies on the Hill rejected. President Nelson Rockefeller and his new Treasury Secretary Ray Shafer as well as Vice President Gerald Ford ultimately worked out a deal with congressional leaders for a bill that provides 15% rebate on the 1974 tax liability and created a temporary (five year) 10% tax cut for all tax payers making 50,000 dollars a year or less. The investment tax credit was expanded for three years by 20% to stimulate economic growth.

After the Tax Reduction and Economic Growth Act of 1975 passed both houses of congress with a majority within both parties, President Rockefeller signed the bill into law on June 18, 1975. At the signing event, the president said he would work on a budget proposal to cut spending in different areas.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #298 on: June 23, 2018, 05:11:11 AM »

June 30, 1975: New Gallup polls, including for 1976

After a bounce following the successful operation in Cambodia, President Rockefeller stands even at the middle of 1975 in terms of approval/disapproval rating.

Meanwhile, the Democratic field for 1976 shows George McGovern in the lead, with Edmund Muskie now at second place. Jimmy Carter, out of office in Georgia, has fallen back to third place. Fellow Southerner Lloyd Bentsen surged and is now in strikng distance to Carter. Obviously he profits from Reubin Askew's announcement not to run. For the general election, the president has gained ground again and leads all potential challengers by more or less.

Approve: 46%
Disapprove: 46%

Senator George McGovern: 24%
Senator Edmund Muskie: 20%
Former Governor Jimmy Carter: 16%
Senator Lloyd Bentsen: 13%
Representative Mo Udall: 6%
Senator Scoop Jackson: 4%
Senator Frank Church: 4%
Governor Milton Shapp: 2%
Someone else/undecided: 11%

George McGovern (D): 41%

Edmund Muskie (D): 44%

Jimmy Carter (D): 43%

Scoop Jackson (D): 40%

Mo Udall (D): 42%

Frank Church (D): 43%

Milton Shapp (D): 40%

July 5, 1975: Scoop Jackson: First major presidential candidate announces run

President Nelson Rockefeller during his visit to Mexico

Since taking office, but especially since he announced his “Second Good Neighbor Policy”, President Nelson Rockefeller sought to improve relations with the countries of Latin America. Especially the southern neighbor Mexico became a very close partner of the Rockefeller Administration. During a three day state visit, President Rockefeller met with his Mexican counterpart Luis Echeverría Álvarez in Mexico City. At the conclusion of their talks, both heads of state signed a “Memorandum of Understanding”. The informal agreement included the start of trade negotiations by early 1976 to ease trade of goods and services between the two nations. In addition, President Rockefeller announced there would be additional US investments in Mexico to help the local economy. Mexico in return would buy more industrial products and cotton from the United States (Rockefeller noted this would benefit the industrial states as well as the South).

Although not part of the agreement, President Rockefeller declared his support of Alvarez to become the next UN General Secretary at the conclusion of his (Alvarez’) presidential term in 1977. This move was seen as a “goodie” for the Mexicans.

July 31, 1975: New Gallup poll

At the end of July 1975, there is just little move in the question whether Americans approve or disapprove the president's job performance.

Approve: 46%
Disapprove: 45%
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #299 on: June 23, 2018, 09:32:51 PM »

Reubin Askew should be President in 1980!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies