The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:59:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 35
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107731 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 19, 2018, 02:05:34 PM »
« edited: February 19, 2019, 01:52:21 PM by President Johnson »

January 20, 1977

The Second Inauguration of President Nelson Rockefeller

Due to projected harsh weather, the president’s inauguration has been moved to the chamber of the House of Representatives. Before all members of congress and thousands of guests (and millions on television), President Nelson Rockefeller would be inaugurated for his second term in office following his landslide victory in the 1976 election.

Like in the previous two inaugurations, Associate Justice Thurgood Marshall, the first black at the nation’s highest court, swore in the vice president. At 11.52 a.m., Gerald R. Ford again took the oath of office as the 40th Vice President of the United States.

I, Gerald Rudolph Ford, do solemnly swear
that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States
against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;
that I take this obligation freely,
without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;
and that I will well and faithfully discharge
the duties of the office on which I am about to enter.
So help me God.

A big applause took place after a smiling Gerald Ford concluded his oath.

At 11.59 a.m., Nelson Rockefeller raised his right hand to repeat the presidential oath of office, administered by Chief Justice Homer Thornberry.

I, Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller, do solemnly swear
that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States,
and will to the best of my Ability,
preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
So help me God.

The Marine Corps Band played hail to the chief and salute shots were fired in outside the Capitol. The president then moved to the podium and delivered his speech.

President Rockefeller: Chief Justice Thornberry, Vice President Ford, Speaker Rhodes, Leader Humphrey, Leaders O’Neill and Hatfield, members of the house and the senate, members of the cabinet, members of the judiciary and the diplomatic corps, distinguished guests and my fellow Americans: Thank you very much. Thank you. Thank you, as we come together today, as one nation, under god, to celebrate our democracy and our freedom. As newly elected leaders in all branches of government begin their work or those with a renewed mandate continue their humble service to America and its citizens, who have entrusted all of us to lead this nation. For me, it is a great honor serve as president. Be assured, that I want to be the president of all the people.

Four years ago, I stood before the American people and the world outside in front of the capitol – something that, unfortunately, the weather does not permit today – and spoke of the many challenges ahead of the bicentennial of our nation’s birth. And last year, during my State of the Union Address in this chamber, as this date in July neared, I reported in the achievements we have made so far. The groundwork for our nation’s success, and with it world peace, has been laid over the past years. Now, we have to build on this progress into the future with a sense of hope. And this is the reason why I want this inaugural message to be one of hope, because it truly reflects my deep conviction, that there is nothing wrong with America, that courage, dedication and love cannot conquer.

[Applause]

There is nothing wrong with America, that we do not have the resource or the will to overcome. No matter how difficult the challenges ahead might be. Together, as one nation, we can meet any goal and climb every hill. Together, there is nothing that can stop us, if we reject partisanship and political division. And the record of this federal government over the past four years has demonstrated that such pragmatic governance that puts country ahead of partisan politics can deliver results. From world peace, arms control treaties to the economy over to environmental protection and record investments in our infrastructure. These are the things that I want to continue to work on, as the American people have awarded us with their trust and confidence to tackle the challenges ahead and protect the accomplished of the past. Let us together, as one nation, as one people with equal rights and justice for all, move forward to deliver.

[...]

Now, going forward, let us pledge together to make the first four years beyond our 200th birthday a bright a beacon of hope for all the world. Because this is what we owe to our children and grandchildren and the generations to come.

[Applause]

January 31, 1977: New cabinet members approved by senate

On the last day of January and after six weeks of hearings, the senate approved all new cabinet members President Rockefeller nominated in December.

- Daniel J. Evans confirmed as Secretary of Defense: 91 aye, 5 nay
- William Thaddeus Coleman confirmed as Secretary of Transportation: 90 aye, 8 nay
- George P. Schulz confirmed as Secretary of Commerce: 92 aye, 4 nay
- Sam Steiger confirmed as Secretary of Agriculture: 92 aye, 4 nay

Vice President Gerald Ford swore in the new members of the cabinet during a White House ceremony. Outgoing Secretary of Defense George Romney was honored with the Presidential Medal of Freedom by the president upon his departure from public service.

The Rockefeller Administration
(as of January 31, 1977)

The White House cabinet room in 1977 during the Rockefeller Administration

- President: Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY)
- Vice President: Gerald Ford (R-MI)

- Secretary of State: Richard Nixon (R-CA)
- Attorney General: Edward Brooke (R-MA)
- Secretary of Defense: Daniel J. Evans (R-WA)
- Secretary of the Treasury: Raymond P. Shafer (R-PA)
- Secretary of Commerce: George P. Shultz (R-CA)
- Secretary of the Interior: John Arthur Love (R-CO)
- Secretary of HUD: Ivan Allen Jr. (D-GA)
- Secretary of HHS: Charles Goodell (R-NY)
- Secretary of Agriculture: Sam Steiger (R-AZ)
- Secretary of Energy: John B. Anderson (R-IL)
- Secretary of Labor: Catherine Dean May (R-WA)
- Secretary of Transportation: William T. Coleman (R-PA)
- U.N. Ambassador: William Scranton (R-PA)

- White House Chief of Staff: Malcolm Wilson (R-NY)
- National Security Advisor: Henry Kissinger (R-DC)

January 31, 1977: New Gallup poll

President Rockefeller job approval
Approve: 70% ▲
Disapprove: 24% ▼
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #401 on: November 22, 2018, 01:54:28 PM »

February 3, 1977

President Nelson Rockefeller’s State of the Union Address

A little later than usual, President Nelson Rockefeller delivered his State of the Union Address in February this year (as he did in 1973, although his first speech to congress was called “special message”). President Rockefeller would now speak to a Republican controlled House and a Democratic controlled senate. Upon arriving at the podium, he lost little time to outline his agenda for the coming months and years. His first call was to enact legislation to extend the 1975 middle-class tax cut to continue the economic growth. “And we can get even further than this by considering an elimination of the federal income tax for people making less than 20,000 dollars a year”, the president added to many member’s surprise. However, the president received applause from both sides of the aisle. Then the chief executive turned to healthcare and expressed his desire to work out a bipartisan plan to expand coverage. After the subject has largely been out of the public eye ever since an initiative by the previous Johnson/Kennedy Administration went nowhere, President Rockefeller complained about not enough affordable healthcare for too many citizens. He gave no specifics, but said a new task force within the administration including members of congress would work on a new legislative package. He singled out Senators Ted Kennedy (D-MA) and Jacob Javits (R-NY) to work on such a new healthcare bill. These two co-authored the last major healthcare legislation, that was enacted during the Johnson Administration in 1969 (legislation that established a children's healthcare program).

In the second half of his address, President Rockefeller shifted attention to foreign affairs. He reaffirmed his support for the so-called “Second Good Neighbor Policy” in the tradition of FDR. “I am also glad to report, that a comprehensive agreement on the Panama Canal can be submitted to the senate later this year”, the president told lawmakers and the nation, “I urge you to approve this treaty, so that we can lift our relations with Latin America to new levels.” Finally, he touched the Middle East, saying Secretary Nixon would soon provide more information on the administration’s efforts before closing his address with a special thanks for the ratification of SALT II.

The Democratic response

Governor Jerry Brown (D-CA) has been selected to give the Democratic response

He intended to give an official response the last two years, now party leaders agreed to let California Governor Jerry Brown deliver the Democrat’s answer to President Rockefeller’s State of the Union Address. The 38 year old rising star of the party, who was elected governor of the most populous state at age 36, is considered a potential presidential candidate for future elections. He flirted with a run in 1976, but ultimately backed Edmund Muskie’s White House bid. Brown, in his address, criticized the administration for shifting too many Great Society programs back to the state level without providing funding from the federal government. “As a former governor himself, President Rockefeller should know this”, Brown remarked. Additionally, he took aim at the administration’s tax policy, urging for tax hikes for upper incomes to balance the federal budget. “The truth is”, the governor said, “the federal budget will never be balanced unless we have meaningful savings and additional revenues from those who can afford it. Despite the current economic growth. I urge you to get real on this, Mr. President. You have now the freedom to get through such things.”

But Governor Brown also credited the Rockefeller Administration for its conduct of foreign policy. “Credit, where credit is due”, the Democrat noted and praised détente and Latin America policy. And he added: “We know, and the administration knows, that their true opponents on this sit in the Republican ranks, not our own. It is hardliners around my predecessor as governor, who have been warriors against these policies. The Democrats have always been a reliable force in congress, especially when Republican votes lacked.”

February 18, 1977: Secretary of State Nixon announces new Middle-East peace talks between Egypt and Israel

After extensive preparations, Secretary Nixon has restarted the Middle East peace process

With negotiations on a Panama Canal Treaty still going on, Secretary of State Richard Nixon opened another major chapter of US diplomacy under the Rockefeller Administration. President Rockefeller’s top-diplomat spent the last few months with preparing for direct talks between Egypt and Israel, one of the most urgent unsolved conflicts of this unstable region. Both during a public address and a congressional hearing, Richard Nixon announced new negotiations between the two parties under American leadership. According to Nixon, both sides agreed to this dialogue format and a treaty is intended to be negotiated. Nixon is expected to take a key role in the process, though the final agreement will be discussed among the heads of state at a later point. President Rockefeller will travel the Middle East later this month to launch first direct talks.

February 28, 1977: New Gallup poll

Approve: 67% ▼
Disapprove: 25% ▲
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #402 on: November 22, 2018, 03:22:13 PM »

Interesting. Looks like despite the Rockfeller administration's stark difference from the Carter one, the Peace between Israel and Egypt will be signed like IOTL. Also, is Begin still Prime Minister ITTL? He probably has a good relationship with Rocky if so.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #403 on: November 23, 2018, 02:22:18 PM »

Interesting. Looks like despite the Rockfeller administration's stark difference from the Carter one, the Peace between Israel and Egypt will be signed like IOTL. Also, is Begin still Prime Minister ITTL? He probably has a good relationship with Rocky if so.

Yeah, the only different foreign leader so far is from Chile, after the 1973 crisis played out differently.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #404 on: November 26, 2018, 02:20:28 PM »

February 27 – March 2, 1977: President Rockefeller meets with Middle East leaders ahead of talks

President Rockefeller during an event on April 30, 1977, when he speaks about the economy

Good news for the Rockefeller Administration: Unemployment dropped to 5.1% in the first quarter of 1977, and even further dropped to 4.95% a month later, when the new numbers were released for April. Inflation also went down to 6%, which is still relatively high, but a significant improvement from the 1974/75 recession. Consumer confidence also hit a new high, it is the best since early 1969. A new Gallup poll found that 72% of Americans approve President Rockefeller’s conduct of economic policy.

April 30, 1977: New Gallup poll

Approve: 65% ▼
Disapprove: 26% ▲
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #405 on: December 01, 2018, 06:06:01 AM »

May 5, 1977: Rockefeller Administration proposes refunding of Space Program

Within months after taking office, President Rockefeller announced dramatic cuts to the US Space Program. The Johnson Administration already begun to cut spending after the successful moon landing in 1969. Now that the US economy has rebounded and the projected 1977/78 federal budget deficit has shrunk to 23 billion dollars, the Rockefeller Administration proposed to double funding in the ongoing budget negotiations with congress. If approved, which is almost certain, a new scientific mission to explore space might begin within the next twelve months.

May 31, 1977: New Gallup poll

Approve: 63% ▼
Disapprove: 27% ▲

Late May/early June, 1977: Cuomo-Javits Healthcare Act introduced

Senators John Stennis (D-MS) and Paul Laxalt (R-NV) are strongly opposed to the Cuomo-Javits bill

On June 8, Senators John C. Stennis (D-MS) and Paul Laxalt (R-NV) went to before the press to announce a filibuster to block he Cuomo-Javits healthcare bill from the senate floor. Senate Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey, who was a vocal supporter of the measure, said he would be fighting back to help pass the bill. “I defeated a reactionary filibuster once, and will do so again”, Humphrey told a reporter, referring to his efforts to pass the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Minority Leader Mark Hatfield expressed reservations about the proposal, but at least seemed to be open for a floor vote.

As President Rockefeller entered his second term office, he seemed more open to seek more confrontation with conservatives in both parties.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #406 on: December 01, 2018, 02:35:53 PM »

What's Ted Kennedy been up to and did Chappaquiddick happen in this timeline?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #407 on: December 02, 2018, 04:31:05 PM »

What's Ted Kennedy been up to and did Chappaquiddick happen in this timeline?

Yes, it still happend. He's still somewhat in the shadow of RFK, who is still alive. Maybe we'll see a run for president later on, but haven't really tought about this so far.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #408 on: December 02, 2018, 04:32:41 PM »

Wait Rockefeller supported Single Payer,

I thought he supported something like a public option not single payer
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #409 on: December 02, 2018, 04:41:25 PM »

I don't think a public option was a serious healthcare proposal in that time.

As for single payer, yes Rockefeller's staff helped drafted a single payer health bill.

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/04/15/archives/medicare-for-all-is-asked-by-javits.html
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #410 on: December 02, 2018, 04:48:29 PM »

As for single payer, yes Rockefeller's staff helped drafted a single payer health bill.

https://www.nytimes.com/1970/04/15/archives/medicare-for-all-is-asked-by-javits.html

Thanks for posting the link. Yes, Rocky supported universal healthcare. He also called for a national healthcare program in his 1971 State of State Address. Interesting is that Nixon supported something similar to Obamacare.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #411 on: December 02, 2018, 05:01:11 PM »

Thanks for posting the link. Yes, Rocky supported universal healthcare. He also called for a national healthcare program in his 1971 State of State Address. Interesting is that Nixon supported something similar to Obamacare.

Wow thats pretty surprising.

Anyway I hope this bill does not get passed and like Governor Reagan , I am disappointed in the President here. Lastly lol at Senator Humphrey for the comparison he made.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #412 on: December 03, 2018, 12:12:50 PM »

If this passes, Rocky becomes one of the best Presidents ever!
And Humphrey should punish Stennis.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #413 on: December 03, 2018, 02:10:13 PM »

Anyway I hope this bill does not get passed and like Governor Reagan , I am disappointed in the President here. Lastly lol at Senator Humphrey for the comparison he made.

I doubt the country was ready at that point; even LBJ would probably not have gotten this through.

A small preview I can provide for the next updates: Sadly, good old Hubert won't be around in the political arena much longer. He announced in mid-1977 that he suffered from cancer and died in January 1978 Sad
Huey Long is a Republican
New Tennessean Politician
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #414 on: December 03, 2018, 02:33:10 PM »

only way for this to get good is if Baker becomes President. Even if I like Ford, I just can't in good conscience support him on the principle of being Rockefeller's VP. I'm sorry, but this will backfire big time and considering what will happen soon (The Iranian Revolution was completely unavoidable following the 1953 coup. It was just a matter of when, who, and how), a lot of people will blame Rocky. Unhonestly, if I was a dem, I would be glad RFK and Muskie lost. Allows them to win 1980 in a landslide due to the eventual economic crisis and foreign policy collapse.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #415 on: December 03, 2018, 03:43:55 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2018, 04:22:55 PM by Old School Republican »

I doubt the country was ready at that point; even LBJ would probably not have gotten this through.

A small preview I can provide for the next updates: Sadly, good old Hubert won't be around in the political arena much longer. He announced in mid-1977 that he suffered from cancer and died in January 1978 Sad

And he was only 66 years old when he has died , meaning he still had at least 15-20 years of his life left to go. It really is very sad what cancer does to people.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #416 on: December 04, 2018, 02:36:29 PM »

June 24, 1977: Motion to end filibuster on healthcare bill fails in senate

Attorney General Edward Brooke says the Rockefeller Administration won't change course but is open to discuss improvements

U.S. Attorney General Edward Brooke in a statement said the New York reforms at the state level would change little in the Rockefeller Administration’s handling of the War on Drugs. “Despite, the president is open to discuss meaningful reforms with lawmakers and civil society”, Brooke added. However, Democratic Senator Mario Cuomo, RFK’s first lieutenant governor, praised the “Kennedy approach” and announced he would, together with his Republican colleague Clifford Case from New Jersey, introduce reforms to the 1973 Drug laws, which were enacted early into the administration. “We need more focus on prevention programs and discuss a second change for offenders within the armed forces, who served their country with honor”, Cuomo told a reporter. Whether such legislation would pass both chambers of congress and whether President Rockefeller would sign these bills was unclear at this point.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #417 on: December 06, 2018, 03:12:19 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2018, 03:35:47 PM by President Johnson »

July 11, 1977: President Rockefeller vetoes GOP-sponsored deregulation bill, angering conservatives

Senator Robert Byrd of West Virginia is the new Senate Majority Leader

As Humphrey left his post as leader, Senate Democrats had to choose a new man for the top job. Majority Whip Robert Byrd, the senator from West Virginia, was the only candidate take over the Democratic caucus and was subsequently elected by his colleagues. As he served in leadership before, both the White House and Republican leaders knew him full well. After his selection, Byrd pledged to work with the administration to find common ground and tackle the nation’s problems. As new majority whip, California senator Alan Cranston was selected.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #418 on: December 06, 2018, 03:29:39 PM »

Southern Democrats are useless lol.

Also, sad Byrd was elected leader despite his past here, too. I hope he gets ousted soon somehow.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #419 on: December 06, 2018, 09:12:27 PM »
« Edited: December 06, 2018, 09:20:16 PM by Old School Republican »

I not only will strongly favor a Reagan, or Kemp for the nomination in 1980, but if Rockefeller continues to be Democratic Lite I would likely support a Reagan , Kemp or Laxalt if they decide to run as third party candiadates
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #420 on: December 07, 2018, 05:43:41 AM »

Southern Democrats are useless lol.

Also, sad Byrd was elected leader despite his past here, too. I hope he gets ousted soon somehow.
I would support someone like Kennedy or Mondale to be Majority Leader or even someone like Daniel Innoye
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #421 on: December 07, 2018, 10:33:48 AM »

Hopefully healthcare passes, but that would probably break up the GOP. Rockefeller is a pretty decent prez anyway, though he probably won't make it to 1980.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #422 on: December 08, 2018, 05:24:40 AM »

Late August 1977: Senator Cuomo continues to push for healthcare bill, Leader Byrd has other priorities

Majoity Leader Robert Byrd fears the healthcare fight may stall the senate's work

Earlier this month, President Nelson Rockefeller hosted a White House meeting with congressional leaders to discuss healthcare reform proposals. No public statements were given, but insiders said there was “no agreement at all”. The president continued to support the Cuomo-Javits plan, but several members of congress were opposed to universal healthcare. And even the more moderate Ford plan drew criticism from conservatives. “We don’t make this government-run healthcare bill better by taking some bad elements out”, Senator Bob Taft of Ohio remarked. In late August, Senator Mario Cuomo of New York, one of the main sponsors, reaffirmed his determination to fight for the bill. But he had to do so with an important ally lost: Hubert Humphrey was no longer the leader and Senator Robert Byrd was reluctant to put the measure on the senate’s top agenda after the summer recess. “As noble as this bill’s intent is, I see some problems and think it might stall the whole senate. Do we want this?”, the Majority Leader said in private conservations with journalists.

“You can’t have both, Mr. President”

Which items of his agenda would President Rockefeller push through congress after the legislative summer break?

As insiders told press members, senate leaders Byrd and Hatfield met with the president and his inner circle in early September to tell him that the Cuomo-Javits healthcare law was almost impossible to get passed and if he continues to push its passage, it might stall the senate’s agenda for the coming months. During a meeting in the Oval Office, Hatfield bluntly told Rocky: “Dick Nixon will soon submit the Panama Canal Treaty to the senate. We should focus on winning ratification by the senate first. You can’t have both, Mr. President.” The president responded that he needed a few days to talk to his cabinet and the two senators from New York, who sponsored the bill. On September 4, Senator Javits issued a statement that he will not ask to submit the act to the senate floor this year again, because “urgent business must be done first”. Cuomo reluctantly joined his colleague but made it clear that “discussion on healthcare wasn’t over yet.” Sources from the inner circle of the president let journalists know that the administration intended to pass something next year, probably a form of Vice President Gerald Ford’s reform proposal. For the moment, one of Rocky’s most ambitious reforms were defeated.

August 31, 1977: New Gallup poll

Approve: 58% ▬
Disapprove: 34% ▼

September 5, 1977: Secretary Nixon presents final Panama Canal Treaty, urges quick ratification

After long talks, Secretary Nixon finally came up with a Panama Canal Treaty

On September 5, Secretary of State Richard Nixon finally presented the long awaited treaty on the Panama Canal. The agreement guaranteed that Panama would gain control of the Panama Canal after 1999, ending the control of the canal that the United States had exercised since 1903. The treaty was opposed by most conservatives in the senate since the beginning, but it seemed possible the agreement would win approval of two thirds of the upper house of congress. Richard Nixon said he would fight as hard as possible in convincing the undecided votes to vote in favor.

Secretary Nixon and members of the Panama government signed the agreements on September 4, 1977, in Panama City. However, this was not the official signing, as President Rockefeller decided to take the senate vote first before he would finally sign the treaty in an official ceremony.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #423 on: December 11, 2018, 12:17:06 PM »

September 17, 1977

BREAKING: Shots fired at Secretary Nixon during Bonn visit!

Breaking News from Bonn, West Germany: Four times, a loud bang chimed during a fresh and windy morning. Seconds later, Richard Nixon, the U.S. Secretary of State, and one of his security agents fell to the ground. The other agents immediately jumped on Mr. Nixon. Another shot was fired into a bush, where a man with a pistol went down as well. He was hit into the chest. The security agents picked up Mr. Nixon and rushed him into his limousine. No more time to lose, the government vehicle speeded up, followed by a handful of police cars.

It was an official trip to an allied nation, where Secretary of State Richard Nixon visited an American non-profit organization to honor their work at the last day of his stay, just after finishing extensive security talks. After Mr. Nixon left the building, reportedly four shots were fired in his direction from about 200 feet distance. The secretary was apparently hit and went down before security agents pushed him into the limousine. One bodyguard of his was seriously wounded at his shoulder. However, in the midst of this turmoil, a German police officer immediately identified the shooter and fired right back. The shooter, whose identity is unknown at the moment, was deadly hit.

Richard Nixon was immediately rushed to the next hospital for treatment. In following hours, no official statement was given on his condition. Who was behind the shooting was not officially clear yet, but journalists expressed a ?high confidence? that the "Rote Armee Fraktion", better known as RAF, was responsible for the crime. The RAF is a left-wing extremist group trying to overthrow the German state that has targeted high-ranking Western politicians and business elites. The federal government under Chancellor Schmidt so far has been aggressive in its efforts against the domestic terrorists and rejected any negotiations.

Statement from Chancellor Helmut Schmidt:

Chancellor Helmut Schmidt informed the public on the shooting after he phoned with President Nelson Rockefeller

That afternoon, the chancellor went before the international press to brief the public on the situation.

Ladies and Gentlemen: As head of the federal government, it is my duty to inform you that today in the morning, U.S. Secretary of State Richard Nixon has been the target of an assassination attempt. As I speak to you, Secretary Nixon is being treated in a hospital for wounds at his knee. His condition is serious, but stable. I personally, on behalf of my administration and the entire German state, wish him a speedy and full recovery. One of his security agents has also been hit, but as I have just been informed, his life is no longer in danger. We all wish him well.

The intelligence I have received strongly point into the RAF?s direction as the group responsible for this cowardly act. The shooter has been killed by a brave police officer who quickly acted before more damage could be done. We owe the police officer a deep gratitude for his immediate response.

I have just spoken with the President of the United States, Nelson Rockefeller, on the telephone, briefed him on the most recent developments and assured him we are fully in control of this situation. He thanked me for our response and offered his help and cooperation. Let me make it clear that nothing can and will stand between us and our friendship with the United States of America. Neither will we back down when cowardly terrorists attempt to force their will upon us. The German state under my leadership will never back down and hunt those who commit such horrible crimes. They will be brought to justice.

Thank you very much.

Statement from President Nelson Rockefeller:

President Rockefeller reacts to the attack on his secretary of state

During his own state visit in Japan, President Nelson Rockefeller addressed reporters and condemned this ?coward act by terrorists? against his chief-diplomat. He also thanked Chancellor Schmidt for his response and ?bold leadership?, calling him a true friend of the United States and his administration.

At home in Washington, Vice President Gerald Ford also issued an official statement by the administration condemning the Rote Armee Fraktion and offering the German federal government ?any assistance they need in the fight against barbaric terrorism?.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #424 on: December 13, 2018, 09:58:57 AM »

#LetDickSurvive
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies