The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:37:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 ... 35
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107706 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: February 17, 2019, 06:23:11 AM »

This will become a story in the following months Tongue
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.13, S: -6.53

« Reply #501 on: February 17, 2019, 09:43:12 AM »

I have to admit, when we got through January without Rockefeller dying as IRL, I thought he'd make it through the term.
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #502 on: February 17, 2019, 01:12:22 PM »

I hope Elizabeth Holtzman gets elected in 1980 like she would have IRL without D'Amato benefitting off of Javits candidacy and Reagan's coattails
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #503 on: February 18, 2019, 03:06:26 AM »

I have to admit, when we got through January without Rockefeller dying as IRL, I thought he'd make it through the term.

Me, too.

If I was Ford, I'd pick Reagan for VP now to eliminate him from the GOP primary and unify the party. He may have trouble with congressional approval, but in the aftermath of Rockefeller's death Ford should have enough sympathy to get his way. They'd win in 1980 unless the admin has a major failure.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #504 on: February 19, 2019, 02:25:49 PM »

CHAPTER 4:
An unexpected call - The Presidency of Gerald R. Ford

May 17, 1979

The impromptu Inauguration of President Gerald Ford

Gerald Ford takes the oath of office as President of the United States

At 3.30 p.m. approximately 150 guests, mostly members of congress and journalists from all over the world, gathered together in the East Room of White House awaiting the arrival of Associate Justice Warren Burger, who had to step in for Chief Justice John Paul Stevens (who had a cold) and administer the oath of office to Gerald Rudolph Ford of Grand Rapids, Michigan, who became president earlier that day. Ford, accompanied by his wife Betty, entered the podium; his adult children sat in the first row among the guests, next to congressional leaders and businessman David Rockefeller, who represented the Rockefeller family after the tragic passing of his older brother.

When he arrived, Justice Burger entered the podium and spoke a few words, honoring late President Nelson Rockefeller and praising the constitutional republic, that ensured government would continue with a new leader. After his five minute remarks, Gerald Ford stood up and raised his right hand and put his left on a bible that Betty Ford held and repeated the oath.

I, Gerald R. Ford, do solemnly swear,
that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States,
and will, to the best of my ability,
preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
So help me God.

[Applause]

Justice Burger: Ladies and Gentlemen, the President of the United States.

President Ford: Thank you very much, Justice Burger. Distinguished guests, my fellow Americans and members of the world community:

Please let us take a moment of silence and prayer in honor of late President Nelson Rockefeller. Let us remember a man of conviction, dignity and love of country, who served this nation of ours until the final breath of his life. On behalf of the American people, Betty and myself in particular, I would like to express our deepest condolences to the Rockefeller family, which has contributed so much to America?s well-being over the decades. A family, which lost one of its finest sons today. We are with you, and we shall never forget the 37th President of the United States.

[silence]

Like all members of the Rockefeller Administration, I have been proud to serve this president and his agenda, that advanced America and the world at so many different levels. That brought peace to millions in the world and prosperity at home. Today, in this moment of sorrow and resolve, I stand here before you as someone who has never sought the presidency and its enormous responsibility. But neither will I shrink it. The nation has lost a great leader before his time, but the constitutional republic, that President Rockefeller wholeheartedly believed in, works, as it has over our proud 203 year history. I shall be a humble servant for the American people, who elected me two times as their vice president, and continue the policies of President Nelson Rockefeller. As I assume the solemn duty to serve as your president, I feel it is my first duty to make a compact with my fellow countrymen. Not an inaugural address, not a fireside chat, not a campaign speech?just a little straight talk among friends. And I intend it to be the first of many.

And even though we as a nation are on a crossroads today and we are mourning, nothing could honor the service and legacy of President Rockefeller more than to continue the work he began when you first elected him to this office. With a sense of devotion and optimism. This was President Rockefeller?s spirit, and this is the spirit of America, our America. As I assume the presidency under these extra ordinal circumstances, I ask you to join me in this effort and give me your trust, your prayers and your support. We have many challenges ahead, but only as one nation, under god, we can and will prevail. We have one common destiny, as one nation with freedom and justice for all.

To outline the specific goals of my presidency and my administration, I have already spoken with congressional leaders earlier today to give a speech before joint session of congress within the next two weeks. I am confident, that together, we will move this nation forward and renew its principles and ideals while finding pragmatic solutions that makes America a better place every single day.

With all the strength and all the good sense I have gained from life, with all the confidence my family, my friends, the dedicated cabinet and my diligent staff impart to me, and with the good will of countless Americans I have met over my six and a half years as your vice president, I now solemnly reaffirm the promise I made you over the course of my career as a public servant: to uphold the constitution, to do what is right as God gives me to see the right, and to do the very best I can for America.

I will not let you down. Thank you.

Poll: Nine in ten Americans view Ford inaugural address positive and give Rockefeller presidency high grades

The day after President Ford was inaugurated, Gallup took a quick poll. The poll found that 89% of respondents viewed Gerald Ford?s inaugural address positively, while 79% viewed him as honest and trustworthy. 71% expressed confidence that he was up to the job, only 11% expressed doubts. Likewise, the media commented on Ford?s speech. A speech, that was drafted within hours and that reassured the nation.

Gallup also polled on how Americans viewed President Nelson Rockefeller: 91% have a positive opinion of the late president and 84% said his presidency was a success, only 9% said the opposite.

President Ford keeps cabinet and declares state of national mourning

On May 18, President Gerald Ford held his first official cabinet meeting to discuss the political agenda and his upcoming address to congress. During his opening remarks, the new chief executive asked all members to remain in their respective jobs, sources say. All members agreed to stay on and have some continuity. With it, the Rockefeller Administration has now become the Ford Administration. With Ford's ascension to the presidency, the vice presidency became vacant and Gerald Ford will be the first head of state to nominate a new vice president for congressional approval under the 25th amendment within the coming weeks.

The Ford Administration
(as of May 18, 1979)

The White House cabinet room in 1979

- President: Gerald R. Ford (R-MI)
- Vice President: vacant

- Secretary of State: Richard Nixon (R-CA)
- Attorney General: Edward Brooke (R-MA)
- Secretary of Defense: Daniel J. Evans (R-WA)
- Secretary of the Treasury: Raymond P. Shafer (R-PA)
- Secretary of Commerce: George P. Shultz (R-CA)
- Secretary of the Interior: John Arthur Love (R-CO)
- Secretary of HUD: Ivan Allen Jr. (D-GA)
- Secretary of HHS: Forest David Matthews (D-AL)
- Secretary of Agriculture: Sam Steiger (R-AZ)
- Secretary of Energy: John B. Anderson (R-IL)
- Secretary of Labor: Catherine Dean May (R-WA)
- Secretary of Transportation: William T. Coleman (R-PA)
- U.N. Ambassador: William Scranton (R-PA)

- White House Chief of Staff: Malcolm Wilson (R-NY)
- National Security Advisor: Henry Kissinger (R-DC)

On the afternoon, Ford signed his first official document, declaring a state of national mourning for 30 days and ordered all flags to be lowered for the same period of time.

May 21, 1979: President Nelson Rockefeller?s state funeral

The great memorial service for late President Nelson Rockefeller in Washington DC

From the morning of May 18 to the noon of May 19, President Nelson Rockefeller?s body lay in state in the New York State Capitol in Albany, where approximately 120,000 people paid their respects to him. Governor Bobby Kennedy hosted a memorial service for Rocky, who served as governor from 1959 to 1973, before he became president. Later that day, the president?s casket lay in state in the United States Capitol in Washington DC, where thousands of visitors paid their last respects to the man who guided America through most of the 1970s. Many vistors were African Americans, who long supported Rockefeller for his commitment to civil rights.

On the morning of May 21, 1979, a great memorial service in Washington was given in Rockefeller?s honor. The main speaker was White House Chief of Staff Malcolm Wilson, a longtime personal friend of the late president. Happy Rockefeller, the former First Lady, also spoke a few words to honor her husband. Several political leaders from all over America and across the world attended the ceremony, as did actors, businesspeople, sports stars and other rank-and-file individuals. Many of the foreign heads of state also had an opportunity to meet President Gerald Ford for the first time, including Soviet Prime Minister Alexei Kosygin. Ironically, Gerald Ford himself was the only American president to attend, since he was the only living president. Before him, Nelson Rockefeller was the only living president after LBJ?s death in 1975. Other than Ford, Secretary of State Richard Nixon and New York Governor Bobby Kennedy were the only living former vice presidents. On the afternoon, a small circle of family and former colleagues, among them President Ford, were present when Rocky was put to rest at Arlington National Cemetery, where JFK is buried as well.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #505 on: February 23, 2019, 05:57:53 AM »
« Edited: March 16, 2019, 06:11:57 AM by President Johnson »

May 25, 1979: President Gerald Ford’s first press conference

Eight days after his assumption of the presidency, Gerald Ford gave his first press conference at the White House. A day before, he appointed his vice presidential press secretary Jerald terHorst, an old personal friend, as White House press secretary.

Reporter IV: Mr. President, you have pledged to keep the Rockefeller cabinet in place. However, the position of vice president has to be filled again. Which individuals are under consideration for this job? Or what are you looking for in a vice president? And when do you plan to make your choice public?

President Ford: I have not yet reviewed potential nominees for the vice presidency closely, even though my staff has made some suggestions and will continue to submit more names. The most important criteria is, obviously, that any individual under consideration has, should the circumstances arrive, be prepared to serve as president. We have had three vice presidents to step into the presidency since 1945, what underlines this argument. That is why I believe this is so meaningful and any selection must be made carefully.

Reporter IV: Mr. President, reportedly you met with former California Governor Ronald Reagan yesterday. Is he under consideration? Don’t you have to pick Mr. Reagan due to his standing within the Republican Party?

President Ford: Well, I indeed spoke with a number of current and former officeholders, including Governor Reagan. We have not discussed a nomination to any office, but he has been very kind and helpful, offering his support and advice. At this early stage, I do not talk about potential names considered, but my staff will keep you informed. All right, one more question.

Reporter V: Mr. President, I guess this is an inevitable question: Are you going to run for a full and elected term in 1980?

President Ford: [laughs] I will let you know at the appropriate time. But you can assume that I strongly consider to be a candidate for election to full term in 1980. For the moment, my highest priority is to run the federal government and make sure America stays on course and remains strong.

Reporter V: If you do run, do you expect to be unopposed for Republican nomination? There have been critics from within the party about the course of the Rockefeller/Ford Administration.

President Ford: If I do run, this is a question to be answered by Republicans and the Republican voters. The voters of this country are going to judge me by my record, and I am proud of this record. And I will continue to do the best I can, honest and forthrightly. Thank you all very much and have a wonderful day.

The search for a new vice president

Due to his ascension to the presidency, it was on Gerald Ford nominate a new vice president subject to confirmation by congress. He would be the first president to do so under the 25th Amendment, adopted in 1967. On May 27, 1979, the White House officially announced that a shortlist is soon being made public and President Ford scheduled to make a decision which name he will submit to lawmakers by early June.

There was wide speculation who the new president would ultimately chose to be his number two. Conservative circles among Republicans reportedly push for someone of their own to get the spot. Senator Paul Laxalt and Congressman Jack Kemp are rumored to be under consideration as is Ronald Reagan. The former California has yet not shown any interest and declined to answer question on the matter. However, he visited the White House a few days before together with a few lawmakers and spoke with President Ford. Sources from within the White House report that Ford is seeking advice from Secretary of State Richard Nixon, who once himself held the position and knows the Republican Party like almost nobody else. It is no yet clear which names Nixon recommended, but he has never been a staunch supporter of Ronald Reagan.

May 31, 1979: New Gallup poll

The tragic circumstances that made him president give Gerald Ford a honeymoon, as he enjoys a very strong approval rating in his first monthly Gallup poll.

President Ford job approval
Approve: 81%
Disapprove: 14%

Next: President Ford's shortlist for vice presidential nominees
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #506 on: February 25, 2019, 02:39:07 PM »

June 1, 1979: President Ford’s special message to congress

Two weeks after becoming president, Gerald Ford speaks to lawmakers for the first time

As the turbulent month of May came to a close, President Gerald Ford appeared before a special session of congress on the first day of June. In his 35 minute speech, the new president thanked lawmakers for their support over the last two weeks since he took office. President Ford once again called for continuity and national unity. But his speech was more than just phrases, he emphasized to pass concrete policy items: a new action plan on energy to make the United States less dependent, a new healthcare initiative similar to the one failed in congress earlier this year and reform existing entitlement programs. He also repeated the call for a so-called rainy day fund: A law, that requires the federal government to spend at least a quarter of a surplus to pay down the debt. This is a suggestion President Rockefeller already made in his State of the Union Address back in February. The new chief executive also touched on foreign policy, calling for the necessity to continue détente.

Political observers pointed out that Ford’s speech contained a lot of continuity from the Rockefeller presidency, but that he was also determined to show he was his own man. For example when President Ford demanded to reform entitlement programs; an issue very important to conservatives.

Early June 1979

The official shortlist for vice presidential nominees

The Ford White House published an official shortlist of vice presidential candidates who are under consideration to be nominated for congressional confirmation under the 25th Amendment. The eventual nominee would, if approved, become the first appointed vice president in American history.

- In alphabetical order -

Howard Baker

Homestate: Tennessee
Experience: U.S. Senator from Tennessee since 1967
Why he is considered: Over a decade of service in the senate from a state that has trended Republican in recent years is what Howard Baker has to offer. What speaks for him is political pragmatism and a clean record that would help him to secure quick congressional approval. The biggest contra is that the senate seat he would vacate might be lost for the GOP. And he might be a little too moderate for conservative Republicans.

Robert J. Dole

Homestate: Kansas
Experience: U.S. Senator from Kansas since 1969, Member of the House of Representatives 1961–1969
Why he is considered: Bob Dole is in the middle of the Republican spectrum and has tried to bridge divisions within the GOP caucus in recent years. He was mostly a reliable vote for the Rockefeller Administration on a variety of issues, but has also adopted some positions closer to the conservatives. He would definitely be an acceptable selection for either faction and could help unite the party ahead of the 1980 election. Dole would be a safe but uninspiring choice.

Jack Kemp

Homestate: New York
Experience: Member of the House of Representatives since 1971
Why he is considered: Jack Kemp is a balance to Gerald Ford in terms of age and would strengthen the president’s standing among conservatives without picking someone like Ronald Reagan, who might overshadow the new head of state. Political observers see a political future for Kemp if he plays his cards right, but whether this has to be an appointed vice presidency is another matter. While his experience is still limited, he has reportedly a number of backers within Republican ranks.

Paul Laxalt

Homestate: Nevada
Experience: U.S. Senator from Nevada since 1975, Governor of Nevada 1967–1975
Why he is considered: Similar to Jack Kemp, Senator Paul Laxalt has conservative credentials and would definitely improve Gerald Ford’s position with the right wing of the GOP. In addition, Laxalt is experienced at both the federal and state level. He would be a safe nominee for both congressional approval and as Gerald Ford’s running mate in 1980, should the president decide to run. The main reason not to pick Laxalt is the risk of losing his seat in the senate, that he narrowly won in 1974.

Ronald Reagan

Homestate: California
Experience: Governor of California 1967–1975
Why he is considered: Ronald Reagan is the person on this list, that does both have a lot of things that speak for him and that speak against him. The biggest plus Reagan has to offer is party unity. If Ford makes him vice president, he would not just unite the GOP behind his presidency, he would also eliminate a potential primary challenge ahead of 1980. This, however, raises the question whether Reagan is seriously interested in being vice president since he was obviously planning to seek the presidency himself in 1980. Nevertheless, if Ford makes the call, the Gipper would have a hard time not picking up the phone. What speaks against Reagan is his vocal oppoition to key items of the Rockefeller/Ford agenda. In addition to ideological differences, the charismatic Reagan would certainly overshadow President Ford (what also brings up the question what role Reagan would play in the administration?). Critics also argue his nomination might face too much Democratic opposition in congress. Something the new president is probably not interested in. If President Ford runs in 1980 with Reagan as his number two, the former governor would definitely be helpful with the conservatives, but might alienate moderate voters. These former Rockefeller supporters could easily vote for the Democrat instead. A Reagan nomination might either be a great chance or a great risk for Gerald Ford. Or both.

William Ruckelshaus

Homestate: Indiana
Experience: Deputy Attorney General since 1977, Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency 1973–1977, Member of the Indiana House of Representatives 1966–1968
Why he is considered: William Ruckelshaus is the dark horse on the list. President Rockefeller appointed the lawyer from Indiana as first EPA Administrator in 1973 and Deputy U.S. Attorney General in 1977. These posts are usually not stepping stones for the vice presidency, however, Ruckelshaus has earned a reputation as effective manager in public service and problem solver who has developed a close relationship with both the administration and lawmakers on Capitol Hill. What doesn’t favor him is the lack of experience in elected office outside the Indiana State House and his moderate stances which would alienate conservative Republicans. But he would be an interesting selection, at least as a placeholder until the 1980 election.

William Scranton

Homestate: Pennsylvania
Experience: UN Ambassador since 1973, Governor of Pennsylvania 1963–1967, Member of the House of Representatives 1961–1963
Why he is considered: Since he became US Ambassador at the UN in 1973, Bill Scranton has gained political stature as he was involved in all major foreign policy decisions of the administration. An administration he successfully represented in world politics. Scranton definitely made the position of UN Ambassador a more important one than it was when he came into office. In addition, he has served as governor of a major state and as a congressman. Undeniably, Scranton would be a solid pick with experience in domestic and foreign policy who would get handily confirmed on the hill. However, he is not much of an ideological balance to President Ford, who needs the support from conservatives. And Scranton is a moderate Republican.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #507 on: February 28, 2019, 03:23:57 PM »

June 5, 1979

BREAKING: Gerald Ford nominates William Scranton to be vice president

To the Congress of the United States

Pursuant to the provisions of Section 2 of the Twenty-fifth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, I hereby nominate William W. Scranton of Pennsylvania to be Vice President of the United States.

The White House, Washington
June 5, 1979

President Gerald Ford introduces vice presidential selection

By June 4, President Gerald Ford has made his decision whose name he will submit to congress to be vice president. The press was invited to an official event in the White House East Room in the morning hours of June 5. White House Chief of Staff Malcolm Wilson introduced the president, who went before the microphone to address the nation.

President Ford: Ladies and Gentlemen, my fellow Americans: Welcome to the White House. This morning, I have invited you to inform the public of my decision who to nominate for the vice presidency of the United States. After careful consideration, review and personal interactions, I am glad to announce my selection of our UN Ambassador William Scranton to serve as the next vice president of the United States of America. Just about an hour ago, I have informed the congressional leadership of my selection and signed the nomination certificate. Following my talks with leaders of both parties in congress, I expect a smooth confirmation process, which is the first under the 25th Amendment in America’s history.

This is an extraordinary time. We need a vice president whose personal integrity and competence helps this administration and our great country move forward. I am more than confident that Ambassador Scranton can provide these credentials and serve our nation well. Over his career in public service, Ambassador Scranton has shown a deep commitment to service of country and has always been champion for peace, stability and freedom. He has represented the United States at its best in the UN Security Council. In addition to his international experience, he has had successful tenures as both the governor of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am also proud to call him a former colleague at the House of Representatives. Ladies and Gentlemen, therefore, I am happy to introduce to you the Vice President-designate William Scranton.

William Scranton sat in the first row among guests and then went on the podium after giving the president a hug.

Ambassador Scranton: Mr. President, members of the cabinet, Ladies and Gentlemen, my fellow Americans: I am deeply honored to stand before you today as the nominee for the office of vice president under the provisions 25th Amendment to the constitution of the United States. I am deeply thankful to President Ford for the enormous confidence he put in me. Mr. President, the trust you gave to me means a lot not just to myself, but also to my family and friends. I will do everything I can to be worthy of this trust. In the weeks ahead, I look forward meeting with lawmakers of both parties so that they can fulfill their constitutional duty and judge upon me, whether they believe I am qualified to serve this nation as vice president. Today, less than 24 hours after the president called me to ask whether I would be willing to serve by his side, I promise to all Americans: If the people’s representatives in congress find me worthy serving as vice president, I will do the best I can to serve you and President Ford. A man of honor and integrity, who has been called to step into the difficult task of the presidency following tragic death of President Rockefeller.

Once again, let me thank you, and the president in particular, for all the generosity and confidence. Let us together move forward and make sure, America will always be a beacon of hope and opportunity. Thank you very much.

The first congressional hearing of William Scranton is already scheduled for June 7. Circles on Capitol Hill anticipate the entire process to take no longer than a month and that a final floor votes in both chambers could take place early in July. Meanwhile, Scranton will officially remain in his capacity as UN Ambassador, providing enough time for President Ford to select a replacement.

Insiders: Reagan not picked for his demands and expected confirmation battle, Nixon urged Scranton’s selection

Ronald Reagan was believed a top contender to be nominated for the vice presidency, but some reports reveal why it didn't happen

In the aftermath of the Scranton nomination, the media tried to explain why Ronald Reagan has not been chosen for the vice presidency. As leader of the conservative wing of the Republican Party, he would have been an ideological balance to the moderate wing whose leadership Gerald Ford inherited from Nelson Rockefeller by the nature of his office. According to various sources, President Ford actively considered nominating Reagan and discussed the possibility with the former California governor. It is reported that Ford told Reagan he wanted to keep the administration in the political center; with a center-right approach in economic policy and more liberal stances on social matters as well as the continuation of the détente-policies. Ford also made it clear that while he valued the opinion of each member of the administration, that in the end, only he as president would make the final decisions. During their talks, Reagan emphasized that he would fully respect the president’s authority, but speak out on the policies he believes in. He also openly said he would like to see a shift to the right on several policies. However, the most interesting part of these entire reports is the following: When President Ford directly asked Reagan whether he wanted to be vice president, the former governor responded: “I would be willing to serve if you and the Republican Party ask me to do and some of my ideas become a priority, but it has never been my goal or my intention to be vice president for the purpose of holding this office.”

Secretary of State Richard Nixon reportedly advised President Gerald Ford against a Reagan nomination and pick William Scranton instead

An important role behind the scenes played Secretary of State Richard Nixon, who once was vice president himself under President Eisenhower. President Ford sought Nixon’s advice in the process. After learning how the discussion with Reagan went, the secretary reportedly advised his new boss against picking Reagan, whom he never liked that much. When presented the shortlist of contenders, Nixon recommended the selection of Bill Scranton, with whom he closely worked on foreign policy during the Rockefeller years. Nixon pointed to Scranton’s loyalty and his broad experience. In addition, Ford and Scranton had known each other for well over a decade, as they served in the House together.

Another factor was, reportedly, concerns over by Ford advisors and some lawmakers about the confirmation process in congress. White House Chief of Staff Malcolm Wilson and Senator James Holshouser (R-NC) warned the president that Reagan would face Democratic opposition, especially from liberals. In interview the previous day, Senator Mario Cuomo (D-NY) said a Reagan nomination would not be a good idea and he would likely vote against the Gipper. Even though it was seen as unlikely that the former governor would be voted down if nominated, his standing was expected to be weakened; and with it, the fate of Gerald Ford’s young presidency.

The big question regarding Reagan now is very simple: Will the Gipper finally give up his political ambitions or will he launch a primary challenge to President Gerald Ford? Ford’s intentions for the 1980 election are unknown yet, but he is expected to make run for a full term as president. For Reagan, who is 68 years old, it is probably the last chance, even though such a challange may seem a longshot at this point. The coming months will tell.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #508 on: March 01, 2019, 03:35:09 AM »

Glad Raygun wasn't picked. I predict he will challange Ford for the GOP nomination (and lose).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #509 on: March 01, 2019, 03:51:31 AM »

I dont think Nixon was that opposed to Reagan,

I believe in 1980 Reagan was his 2nd choice after Connally. Both Nixon and Reagan were prominent Californian Republican politicians and both made their careers originally due to support from the SoCal GOP Establishment and I also suspect that Nixon was just as conservative as Reagan it was just that Nixon career took place during the New Deal Era, while Reagan's took place after the end of the progressive era in California and Nationally and his lack of charisma that forced him to be more moderate than he actually was.

Like he said this in the mid 90s:

Mr. Nixon is less provocative and more predictable when he comes home and takes a tour of domestic issues. True, he makes you stop and think when he points out that the national debt ought to be reduced not by tax increases but by cuts in the Federal budget, 40 percent of which is devoted to non-means-tested entitlements, or payments to those who have the means to take care of their own needs. Or when he asserts that Paul Kennedy, the Yale historian, is wrong when he argues that the United States has become militarily overextended, if only because Mr. Kennedy and other critics "missed the essential point that the proportion of G.N.P. consumed by America's defense spending in 1953 was twice the share of G.N.P. spent at the height of the Reagan military buildup."

http://movies2.nytimes.com/books/98/06/14/specials/nixon-peace.html

I think Scranton would be picked due to Scranton's friendship with Rockefeller and Ford not wanting to meet Reagan demands(Ironically Ford wasnt picked in 1980 for this very same reason)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #510 on: March 04, 2019, 02:20:38 PM »

Mid-June, 1979: President Ford rejects calls for oil price controls amidst rising energy prices and Iran turmoil

President Gerald Ford is opposed to reinstate oil price controls

The ongoing turmoil in Iran, where Khamenei and his Mullahs seized power since the de-facto coup of January, put pressure on oil prices, which are on the rise since March. In April, President Rockefeller ordered the Commerce and Energy Departments to study the effects a possible return oil price controls. Previous price controls imposed by the Johnson Administration were ended in 1975, but President Rockefeller seriously considered reinstate them. In light of the developments on the world market and risings costs for consumers, Democratic and some moderate Republicans in congress voiced support to return to price controls. On June 16, President Ford issued a statement rejecting price controls. Instead, he wanted to use diplomatic pressure to resolve ongoing uncertainties.

Observers noted the president’s decision is a departure from Rockefeller policies towards the conservatives. The White House, however, rejected such an assessment, saying President Rockefeller had not made a final decision by the time of his death.

June 25, 1979: Malcolm Wilson retires from politics, Donald Rumsfeld to become Chief of Staff

White House Chief of Staff Malcolm Wilson leaves his post to return to private law pratice...

A major change at the White House leadership: Chief of Staff Malcolm Wilson, a close confidant of late President Nelson Rockefeller, who also served as his lieutenant governor and succeeded him as the governor’s chair, announced his retirement from politics and a return to private law practice. Wilson became Chief of Staff in the spring of 1975, months after losing his bid for a full term as New York governor to Bobby Kennedy. As chief of staff, Wilson, who was also known as “Rocky’s right handed man”, played an important role in the administration, shaping several critical decisions of his former boss. Over the last five weeks, he helped the new President Gerald Ford to set up his own White House and carefully managed the transition. Wilson’s departure is entirely voluntary, he and Ford had a good working relationship. In a public statement, the president expressed his regret: “Only with a heavy heart, I accept Mr. Wilson’s wish to return to law business. On behalf of the American people, I thank Malcolm for his service”; Gerald Ford reportedly offered Wilson to stay.

... and is replaced by Donald Rumsefeld, former congressman and U.S. Ambassador to NATO

The new chief of staff was little bit of a surprise: Donald Rumsfeld. The former congressman from Illinois (1963–1975) was, at Ford’s recommendation, appointed US Ambassador to NATO by President Rockefeller in 1975. Then-vice president Ford actually preferred another administration post in Washington for his old Capitol Hill ally, but President Rockefeller personally disliked Rumsfeld and was pleased to send him over to Brussels. He remained a confidant to the vice president during these four years. As President Ford now needs a new chief of staff and his choice is Rummy, as he is called, who returns to Washington and is in charge of the Ford White House.

June 27, 1979: Albert Brewer says No to presidential bid, seeks reelection to senate

Senator Albert Brewer will seek reelection to his seat rather than to run for president

It was not the first time this cycle Senator Albert Brewer (D-AL) has been mentioned as a potential presidential contender, who can both appeal to Southerners and liberals nationwide. In spring, he told reporters to think about a run and decide between a White House bid or seeking reelection to the senate. This decision has apparently been made now: Brewer announced he will seek reelection to a second term in the senate (he was first elected in 1974 after serving as governor from 1968 to 1975). The Alabamian left open the question who would win his primary endorsement. He has reportedly talked to Senator Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX) and former Governor Reubin Askew (D-FL) about presidential politics.

Silence on the 1980 contest since Rocky's death

Other than Brewer's announcement not to run, no serious news on the 1980 presidential campaign broke since President Rockefeller's death in May. An observer for the New York Times summarized: "Nelson Rockefeller's passing has somehow derailed the entire presidential contest for over a month." However, a bunch of Democratic hopefuls are soon expected to announce, while others may wait into the fall and asses their chances now that the situation on the Republican side has fundamentally changed. Some may even decide against running if they believe President Ford may be too tough to beat. Speaking of the president, he has yet not announced any intentions whether to run or not. He is expected to, but has reportedly not begun to prepare a campaign. It is also entirely unclear what Ronald Reagan and Mark Hatfield will do, since the GOP primary was expected to be showdown between these two. Hatfield seems less likely to enter the race at this point.

June 30, 1979: New Gallup poll

Approve: 73% ▼
Disapprove: 21% ▲
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #511 on: March 05, 2019, 03:02:38 AM »

Oh no, Rummy is back.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #512 on: March 07, 2019, 12:47:15 AM »

Finally caught up. RIP Rocky, you were a great President Sad From the direction Ford is going, he's gonna be tolerable but not enough to support a Republican, so I'm likely to support a Democrat in 1980. I really wonder what'll happen- if Dems lose to Ford, they might be in the wild for 16 years until they finally win it back, and even 1988 is not certain.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #513 on: March 07, 2019, 02:28:25 PM »

July 10/12, 1979: House and Senate overwhelmingly confirm William Scranton’s nomination as vice president

Following a month of extensive hearings, William Scranton’s unprecedented nomination as vice president moved into its final stage: On July 10, the House of Representatives voted to confirm him with 412 votes in favor and just 21 opposed. All no-votes were from Democrats, which came as a surprise since conservative Republicans were lukewarm about the Pennsylvanian.

Two days later, on July 12, the Scranton took the final hurdle in the senate: 89 senators voted for his confirmation, 10 were against. The picture here was different than in the House: Among the nay-votes are prominent Republicans such as Barry Goldwater (R-AZ), Bob Taft Jr. (R-OH) and Paul Laxalt (R-NV). Minority Whip John Tower (R-TX) was urged to vote nay, but supported the president’s nomination. Scranton also faced opposition from conservative Southern Democrats, though Majority Leader Robert Byrd (D-WV) voted for him, as did Lloyd Bentsen (D-TX), Albert Brewer (D-AL), Howell Heflin (D-AL) and Lawton Chiles (D-FL).

William Scranton sworn in as 41st Vice President of the United States

Hours after congress for the first time confirmed a vice president under the 25th Amendment, William Scranton was sworn in as 41st Vice President of the United States at a public ceremony in the White House East Room; the same location where Gerald Ford took the presidential oath on May 17. After almost two months, the United States once again has a vice president. And the first one who was appointed rather than elected to the second highest office in the country.

The new vice president gave a brief speech upon his inauguration:

Vice President Scranton: Mr. President, Mr. Chief Justice, members the cabinet, members of the press, distinguished guests, my fellow Americans: As I stand before you, I feel deep sense of gratitude. A deep sense of gratitude for the trust and confidence you have placed in me. And a deep sense of gratitude for having the opportunity to serve the country I love. I want to thank the president for his abiding trust in me, just as I want to express my deepest thanks to the members of congress, who have awarded me with their trust as well. Be assured that I will do everything I can to be worthy of this trust.

The fact that I stand before you today is a vital proof that our constitution works. It was not perfect in the beginning, and neither is it today. But with each new generation, we strive towards a better future. A little more than a decade ago, in the wake of the tragic assassination of President Kennedy, our elected officials chose to amend the constitution and allow a new vice president to be nominated and confirmed. Back then, our elected officials were aware that such tragedy would strike one day. Unfortunately, our nation has lost another great leader two months ago. But nothing honors the life and legacy of Nelson Rockefeller more than the continuation of not just his policies, but also the American system, that he so deeply believed in. I am humbled to contribute to this effort, and the effort of President Ford to keep America at peace and create more opportunities at home. If we work together, there is nothing that can stop us.

Let me once again thank you all, may god bless you and may god bless the United States of America.

President Ford nominates Congresswoman Margaret Heckler as new UN Ambassador

President Ford’s surprising choice for UN Ambassador: Representative Margaret Heckler (R-MA)

Back on June 15, President Gerald Ford stunned the public with his selection of Congresswoman Margaret Heckler of Massachusetts as new UN Ambassador to succeed William Scranton. Representative Heckler, 48 years of age, has no previous experience in diplomatic service, but was heavily involved with foreign policy issues during her 12 year congressional tenure. Over the past six years, she has been a reliable backer of the Rockefeller doctrine and supported the administration on every major issue. She is generally considered a Rockefeller Republican.

Ms. Heckler was confirmed by the senate on July 13 with 79 aye-votes and sworn in the same day. The oath of office was administered by Vice President William Scranton on his first full day in office. The vice president, whose place she took at the UN, remarked she was an excellent choice. Ms. Heckler is the second woman in a cabinet-level position after Labor Secretary Catherine Dean May. During his presidency, Nelson Rockefeller made women's issues a priority and appointed an unprecedented number of women to other administration jobs, diplomatic posts and to federal courts. President Gerald Ford has been a staunch backer of these policies and pledged to continue them.

The Ford Administration
(as of July 13, 1979)

- President: Gerald R. Ford (R-MI)
- Vice President: William Scranton (R-PA)

- Secretary of State: Richard Nixon (R-CA)
- Attorney General: Edward Brooke (R-MA)
- Secretary of Defense: Daniel J. Evans (R-WA)
- Secretary of the Treasury: Raymond P. Shafer (R-PA)
- Secretary of Commerce: George P. Shultz (R-CA)
- Secretary of the Interior: John Arthur Love (R-CO)
- Secretary of HUD: Ivan Allen Jr. (D-GA)
- Secretary of HHS: Forest David Matthews (D-AL)
- Secretary of Agriculture: Sam Steiger (R-AZ)
- Secretary of Energy: John B. Anderson (R-IL)
- Secretary of Labor: Catherine Dean May (R-WA)
- Secretary of Transportation: William T. Coleman (R-PA)
- U.N. Ambassador: Margaret Heckler (R-MA)

- White House Chief of Staff: Donald Rumsfeld (R-IL)
- National Security Advisor: Henry Kissinger (R-DC)

July 21, 1979: Reubin Askew launches presidential campaign

Former Florida Governor Reubin Askew has jumped into the presidential race as he announced his intention to seek the Democratic nomination

The second major candidate for president on the Democratic side is in: Former Florida Governor Reubin Askew officially launched his bid for the White House in Tampa, Florida. In his announcement speech, the 50 year old former governor said he wanted to provide new leadership for America to ensure the 1980s become a decade of justice, prosperity and peace, where the common man is at the center of the federal government’s priorities. Mr. Askew has had an impressive political career so far: He became governor of a large state at 42 and served two terms from 1971 to 1979. He was a very popular chief executive and promoted civil rights, representing the “new South”. Political observers rate him as one of the leading candidates who can both win the South and gain support among liberals and moderates nationwide. Askew’s path to the nomination is definitely through a strong showing the South, though his success in this region may be threatened if more high-profile Southerners get into the race such as Lloyd Bentsen. However, rank and file Florida politicians are definitely behind Askew: Governor Bob Graham, his successor, and Senator Lawton Chiles immediately endorsed their fellow Floridian.

July 31, 1979: New Gallup poll

Approve: 68% ▼
Disapprove: 25% ▲
P. Clodius Pulcher did nothing wrong
razze
Junior Chimp
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -4.96

« Reply #514 on: March 07, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »

Askew for President!!!!!
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #515 on: March 07, 2019, 10:43:44 PM »

What do the primary polls for both parties look like as of July 1979?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #516 on: March 08, 2019, 03:12:21 PM »

Finally caught up. RIP Rocky, you were a great President Sad From the direction Ford is going, he's gonna be tolerable but not enough to support a Republican, so I'm likely to support a Democrat in 1980. I really wonder what'll happen- if Dems lose to Ford, they might be in the wild for 16 years until they finally win it back, and even 1988 is not certain.

In any scenario, Ford running and winning twice, in 1980 and 1984, would be unlikely. Even though the 22nd Amendment doesn't restrict him. Keep in mind that he already turned 66 in 1979 (but is still younger than Reagan).

What do the primary polls for both parties look like as of July 1979?

The next update will consist primary polls Tongue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #517 on: March 09, 2019, 06:45:29 AM »

August 3, 1979: President Ford signs Debt Reduction Act into law to pay down federal debt

President Gerald Ford signs the Debt Reduction Act of 1979 into law

The first major legislation to reach Gerald Ford’s desk as president: The Debt Reduction Act was passed by both chambers of congress with solid majorities and subsequently signed into law. The bill was first proposed by late President Nelson Rockefeller in his February 1979 State of the Union Address. First it seemed to have trouble winning enough support, but President Gerald Ford immediately pushed successfully for its passage after taking office. The law requires the federal government to spend at least 25% of a surplus into debt reduction. Since the federal budget had a surplus last year, there was debate on how to spend the money. Several Democrats wanted to put these dollars into social programs and education while conservative Republicans called for an additional tax cut. However, the administration wanted to prioritize paying down the debt and President Ford and Treasury Secretary Shafer were able to put together a coalition of moderates to gain support for the bill. To attract some liberal support, the Ford Administration agreed to increase spending on federal aid to education and some environmental programs set up by the Johnson and Rockefeller Administrations. A group of right-leaning lawmakers within GOP ranks criticized the agreement and President Ford’s refusal to pass another tax break.

August 15, 1979: Jerry Brown to seek Democratic presidential nomination

California Governor Jerry Brown is ready to enter the presidential race

It’s been rumored for a while, now it is official: California Governor Jerry Brown has declared his candidacy for president. Brown has only turned 41 earlier this year, but the Democrat is already in his second gubernatorial term, leading America’s most populous state. He is the son of former governor and current Supreme Court Judge Pat Brown and succeeded Ronald Reagan in 1975. Handily reelected in 1978, he enjoys solid support in California, a state that will bring a lot of weight to the nomination process and the general election. Even if Governor Brown doesn’t succeed, he may end up as the kingmaker. In his announcement speech, Brown said his priorities as president would be worker’s rights, environmental protection, civil service reform and international denuclearization. Interestingly, Brown as an advocate of fiscal solvency, praised the Debt Reduction Act recently signed by President Ford and attacked conservative Republicans.

August 17, 1979: Mark Hatfield says he won’t run against President Ford, Reagan refuses to give pledge

Senator Mark Hatfield days he won't run against President Ford in 1980

For the first time since Rocky’s death, Senate Minority Leader Mark Hatfield has addressed his plans for the 1980 election. In an interview on August 17, he made it clear that he won’t challenge President Gerald Ford should he [Ford] chose to run. “Look, I highly respect the president, and if he decides to get in, he will support him”, the Oregon senator said. Political observers noted this is a strong indicator Ford will soon announce his plans. The president is expected to seek election to a full term.

Hatfield’s announcement put some pressure on Ronald Reagan, who refused to comment on his plans for months now. When asked, the former governor declined to give a pledge whether to challenge his party’s incumbent. Sources from within the Reagan orbit tell various newspapers the chance is 50/50 at this point. A few journalists note that Reagan may run or threaten to run in order to pressure Ford to adopt a more conservative Republican platform. Others note Reagan really wants to be president himself and the 1980 election is most likely, at then 69 years, his last chance to get elected.

August 24, 1979: President Ford sends warnings to Iranian regime following oppressions against opposition

In light of recent events in Iran, President Gerald Ford issued a clear warning to the regime in Teheran

In recent months, the Iranian regime, which came into power in January, seized more and power and begun to heavily oppress the opposition and free media. Secretary of State Richard Nixon has repeatedly expressed dissatisfaction with the situation. Now, President Gerald Ford for the first time publically addressed the matter and warned the regime. “If there are ongoing oppressions, murder of political opponents, torture and religious fanaticism, that threatens not just the safety of foreign citizens in Iran, but also the global stability, the United States won’t stand by and take no action. At a certain point, there is a price that has to be paid”, the commander-in-chief warned the regime in Teheran. He left open what exact consequences might follow, but a press report revealed Ford instructed the State Department to prepare a list of potential sanctions. Iranian officals gave a harsh response and accussed Ford of interfering in domestic affairs.

August 31, 1979: New Gallup polls, including for 1980

Approve: 65% ▼
Disapprove: 28% ▲

1980 Republican Party presidential nomination

President Gerald Ford: 53%
Former Governor Ronald Reagan: 34%
Senator Howard Baker: 3%
Representative Jack Kemp: 1%
Senator Paul Laxalt: 1%
Someone else/undecided: 8%

1980 Democratic Party presidential nomination

Senator Lloyd Bentsen: 22%
Governor Reubin Askew: 20%
Governor Jerry Brown: 9%
Senator Walter Mondale: 5%
Senator Wendell Ford: 4%
Senator Alan Cranston: 3%
Senator Frank Church: 3%
Senator John Glenn: 3%
Senator Gary Hart: 2%
Governor Jere Beasley: 2%
Senator Birch Bayh: 2%
Someone else/undecided: 24%

1980 General election match-ups

(Only candidates or potential candidates polling over 5% in their respective primaries)

Gerald Ford (R, inc.): 51%
Lloyd Bentsen (D): 43%

Gerald Ford (R, inc.): 51%
Reubin Askew (D): 43%

Gerald Ford (R, inc.): 53%
Jerry Brown (D): 42%

Gerald Ford (R, inc.): 53%
Walter Mondale (D): 42%

Ronald Reagan (R): 49%
Lloyd Bentsen (D): 45%

Ronald Reagan (R): 47%
Reubin Askew (D): 47%

Ronald Reagan (R): 49%
Jerry Brown (D): 44%

Ronald Reagan (R): 51%
Walter Mondale (D): 43%
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #518 on: March 09, 2019, 08:29:17 AM »

Torn between supporting Mondale, Askew, and Glenn.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #519 on: March 09, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »

I dont think Nixon was that opposed to Reagan,

I believe in 1980 Reagan was his 2nd choice after Connally. Both Nixon and Reagan were prominent Californian Republican politicians and both made their careers originally due to support from the SoCal GOP Establishment and I also suspect that Nixon was just as conservative as Reagan it was just that Nixon career took place during the New Deal Era, while Reagan's took place after the end of the progressive era in California and Nationally and his lack of charisma that forced him to be more moderate than he actually was.

I recall Nixon disliking Reagan, though also possessing some respect or fear for him. 
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2019, 11:43:39 AM »

If Glenn runs- GO GLENN!
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #521 on: March 10, 2019, 11:51:20 PM »

Ford '76
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #522 on: March 10, 2019, 11:54:03 PM »

Bit past that, bud
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #523 on: March 12, 2019, 03:05:10 PM »

September 2, 1979: It’s official – President Ford runs in the 1980 election

President Gerald Ford officially declared his bid to run for a full term in office. His campaign is centered at his non-partisan image and achievements of the past years.

At a public event in his hometown of Grand Rapids, Michigan, President Gerald Ford has announced his anticipated decision to run for a full four year term in 1980 presidential election. The president was expected to announce his candidacy over most recent weeks. President Ford said he wanted be a champion for unity, good government and peace and in the world. “In this cause, I believe I can best represent my party and the nation as whole”, the president remarked, “We must continue to work for freedom, prosperity and decency. And that is what I intend to do as your servant.” His speech and sources from behind the scenes make it clear that Ford will mainly campaign as someone above parties who stands for a center-right economic and fiscal agenda and more liberal stances in social issues with a strong commitment to internationalist foreign policy. The Ford campaign is also expected to be centered on the president’s personal integrity and his moderate political program. Observers don’t expect him to make personal attacks on opponents.

As of September, it is still unclear whether President Ford will be challenged for the Republican nomination. He definitely starts as the frontrunner at this point and the only one who could theoretically give him a run is former California Governor Ronald Reagan, who has not yet decided whether to jump into the race. Should President Ford’s popularity among the electorate as a whole remain stable, political observers give him a very good chance to win the general election. Another open question is who will be his running mate, though Vice President William Scranton is expected to be in that spot.

September 10, 1979: Allegations late President Rockefeller might have met woman before death surface

Who was really with President Nelson Rockefeller when he died? Here pictured with his wife Happy the year before suffered a fatal heart attack

Who was with President Nelson Rockefeller when he died of a heart attack on that faithful May the 17th? A Secret Service Agent at his private New York office. So much for the official version. A new report from within the Rockefeller staff that come out reveals this might not be what exactly happened. According to these sources, a 25 year old secretary who worked for the president in New York was with him that day. It is widely believed they might had an intimate relationship. After President Rockefeller suffered the heart attack, the secretary called a Secret Service Agent who was in front of the office. Afterwards, the Secret Service Agent issues an immediate emergency call.

What is extraordinary is the fact that only a summary of the circumstances of President Rockefeller’s death was released, including an autopsy that confirmed his death was natural. The same source from within the Rockefeller staff claims that President Gerald Ford restricted parts of the summary at the wish of former First Lady Happy Rockefeller. Accordingly, Ford wanted to protect the privacy of the Rockefellers. A spokesman for the White House declined the comment the story and urged the public to respect the late president’s privacy.

September 29, 1979: John Glenn enters presidential contest

Senator John Glenn (D-OH) wants to be his party's nominee, too.

The next Democrat, who expressed interest in a run, made his plans public: Senator John Glenn of Ohio has jumped into the presidential race. The former astronaut, who became senator in 1974, is considered a centrist Democrat with a track record of working across the aisle in congress. He frequently voted for substantial parts of the Rockefeller agenda in recent years. In his announcement, Glenn stressed bipartisanship and pragmatic governance from the political center. “Neither the hard-right, nor the staunch left will change America for the good”, he told supporters. Despite having a devoted base of support among Ohio Democrats, Glenn’s path to the nomination is a longshot (even though this could change rapidly). A big advantage for Glenn is his homestate of Ohio, which is a crucial one in the general election. This makes may put him high on the vice presidential shortlist shouldn’t he win the nomination himself.

September 30, 1979: New Gallup poll

Approve: 63% ▼
Disapprove: 31% ▲
Cold War Liberal
KennedyWannabe99
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #524 on: March 12, 2019, 03:32:58 PM »

ASKEW/GLENN ‘80