The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:13:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 35
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107349 times)
LoneStarDem
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: May 27, 2019, 09:00:41 AM »

Looking forward to seeing more.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #576 on: June 10, 2019, 04:09:18 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2021, 12:59:20 PM by President Johnson »

March 18, 1980

DECISION 1980: Reagan has another good night in key states as all three remaining Democrats win contests!

Ronald Reagan campaigning in Youngstown, Ohio
Ronald Reagan Presidential Library [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Florida Republican primary
✓ Ronald Reagan: 51.1%
Gerald Ford (inc.): 48.4%

Illinois Republican primary
✓ Gerald Ford (inc.): 53.8%
Ronald Reagan: 45.7%

Missouri Republican Primary
✓ Ronald Reagan: 50.9%
Gerald Ford (inc.): 48.8%

North Carolina Republican Primary
✓ Ronald Reagan: 56.5%
Gerald Ford (inc.): 43.2%

Ohio Republican Primary
✓ Ronald Reagan: 49.9%
Gerald Ford (inc.): 49.4%

Another great night for Ronald Reagan: Important victories in key states, especially in Ohio what bolsters his current lead in delegates over sitting president Gerald Ford. Even though the Gipper’s wins were, except for North Carolina, pretty close ones, they are significant in his quest for the Republican nomination. The only primary Reagan lost is Illinois, the state of his birth, what is mainly due to Ford’s crushing margins in greater Chicago and around Springfield. What started off as a longshot for the former California governor became into a successful campaign to move the Republican Party to the right. Ford’s struggling is mostly attributed to the economic slowdown, the turmoil on the world stage and his lack of experience running national or nomination campaigns.

The Republican primary map:

Ronald Reagan: ~32% of delegates
Gerald Ford (inc.): ~17% of delegates

Florida Democratic primary
✓ Reubin Askew: 50.3%
Lloyd Bentsen: 25.4%
Jerry Brown: 22.9%

Illinois Democratic primary
✓ Jerry Brown: 40.1%
Lloyd Bentsen: 33.6%
Reubin Askew: 22.5%

Missouri Democratic Primary
✓ Lloyd Bentsen: 38.7%
Jerry Brown: 34.0%
Reubin Askew: 27.0%

North Carolina Democratic Primary
✓ Lloyd Bentsen: 46.2%
Reubin Askew: 28.1%
Jerry Brown: 25.2%

Ohio Democratic Primary
✓ Jerry Brown: 45.4%
Lloyd Bentsen: 30.0%
Reubin Askew: 23.9%

On the Democratic side, there is more consolation after John Glenn’s exit from the race: The nomination is most likely being decided between California governor Jerry Brown and Texas senator Lloyd Bentsen. Brown’s strong performance as exceeded all expectations of this campaign. Like George McGovern, he has large grassroots support among liberal activists. But in contrast to the South Dakota senator, Brown is closer to the political center and even considers himself a fiscal conservative. Something, that helps him with the moderate wing and presumably a general election. Lloyd Bentsen was seen as the frontrunner for a long time, and he stresses his campaign on two major factors: He’s experienced in Washington and can get things done. And second, he does best among Democrats in general election matchups. Bentsen makes no secret of the fact he would like to face Ronald Reagan because he believes, he can win over moderate voters than supported Nelson Rockefeller in 1972 and 1976.

Reubin Askew, the third man left in the race, seems to have no realistic path any longer. However, he might just stay on to prevent Brown and Bentsen from winning enough delegates and force a brokered convention that nominates him as a compromise candidate. Another option for him is the vice presidential nomination, as some media observers noted. However, this would most likely only be the case with Jerry Brown as the nominee, since Lloyd Bentsen doesn’t need another southerner on the ticket.

The Democratic map:

Jerry Brown: ~23% of delegates
Lloyd Bentsen: ~20% of delegates
Reubin Askew: ~ 7% of delegates
John Glenn: ~3% of delegates
Walter Mondale: ~2% of delegates

Bentsen calls upon Askew to give up to stop Brown

Lloyd Bentsen, bw photo as senator
See page for author [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons

Lloyd Bentsen insists he's the only Southern Democrat with a shot at the nomination who can also win in November

The day after the votes were cast, Bentsen stunned the public by calling upon Askew to drop out of the race. “Democrats have the best shot at winning with a southerner. But in order to nominate one, there can be only one in the race”, the Texas senator told reporters. The Askew campaign immediately responded by rebuking the call. This was not the first time Bentsen and Askew took shots at each other during the campaign. When asked to comment, Jerry Brown said with a smile: “Nobody should call for anyone to drop out before this thing is decided”. The feud between the two southerners might just work to his benefit.

Democratic debate scheduled for March 30

In cooperation with ABC News and the League of Women Voters, the Democratic National Committee announced to host a debate between the remaining contenders for president. It is scheduled for March 30 and will take place in New York City. The campaigns of Jerry Brown, Lloyd Bentsen and Reubin Askew accepted the invitation. On the Republican side, the Reagan campaign has suggested to hold a debate, but the Ford camp has not agreed so far.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #577 on: June 10, 2019, 08:24:02 AM »

Great update, go on!
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #578 on: June 10, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »

TX Dems do NOT want Clements appointing a GOPer to Bentsen's US Senate seat.  I betcha some of them are secretly rooting for Moonbeam and maybe Askew to be the Dem nominee for the Presidency.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #579 on: June 10, 2019, 10:44:59 AM »

TX Dems do NOT want Clements appointing a GOPer to Bentsen's US Senate seat.  I betcha some of them are secretly rooting for Moonbeam and maybe Askew to be the Dem nominee for the Presidency.

I didn't mention Askew in that quote.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #580 on: June 10, 2019, 02:30:03 PM »

Go Reagan
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #581 on: June 11, 2019, 02:06:30 AM »

Looks like Gerald Ford will be a 18 month prez and Reagan the nominee. Sad. GO Jerry Brown!
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #582 on: July 13, 2019, 08:28:52 AM »

Is this timeline dead?
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #583 on: July 13, 2019, 02:27:54 PM »

nope I think President Johnson is taking a break
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #584 on: July 13, 2019, 05:26:55 PM »

Hope so. This is one of the best timelines we have and I'd hate to see it end early.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #585 on: July 14, 2019, 04:25:08 AM »

Hope so. This is one of the best timelines we have and I'd hate to see it end early.

Yes, I take a break. I'll change the format, however, since we can't include any image any longer. Probably I switch from monthly to 3 or 6 months updates (aside from campaign events).
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #586 on: July 15, 2019, 04:30:04 PM »

Yes, I take a break. I'll change the format, however, since we can't include any image any longer. Probably I switch from monthly to 3 or 6 months updates (aside from campaign events).

You are still allowed to include Wikimedia and some other websites
DeSantis4Prez
lwp2004
United States

« Reply #587 on: November 13, 2019, 10:06:44 PM »

Bump... also go Bentsen!
BaconCat
United States

« Reply #588 on: June 27, 2021, 05:16:12 AM »

You can’t just write an epic story then not finish it when it’s probably in the climax...
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #589 on: June 27, 2021, 11:56:33 AM »

You can’t just write an epic story then not finish it when it’s probably in the climax...

He can do whatever he wants. Although this was awesome.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #590 on: June 27, 2021, 01:09:52 PM »

I didn't want to abandon this after all as I have an imaginary list of presidents in my mind up to the present day, so I have a suggestion: I'll continue this after the smaller TL suggested here.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #591 on: June 27, 2021, 02:15:57 PM »

I didn't want to abandon this after all as I have an imaginary list of presidents in my mind up to the present day, so I have a suggestion: I'll continue this after the smaller TL suggested here.

Sounds good. Take your time.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #592 on: July 06, 2021, 01:55:22 PM »

So I have decided to continue this now and apologize for potential confusion. Enjoy reading and leave some comments.

April 1, 1980

BREAKING: PRESIDENT FORD ENDS CAMPAIGN FOR REELECTION, pledges to continue serving the nation

On 11.30 a.m. EST of April 1, reporters were summoned for a statement by the president. There was no specific information given what exactly the president would say and the gathering was just announced hours in advance.

President Ford: Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen: I apologize for the abrupt scheduling of this meeting and that you didn’t have much time to prepare and potential discomfort coming from this development. However, the decision I’m about to announce is one that I have given thorough consideration and one I need to make public as soon as possible. Both for myself and my family this has been a longer process of reflection and consideration.

Today, as I speak, America faces numerous severe challenges, both at home and abroad. However, over the course of most recent months, I have been engaged in an exhausting campaign that made it increasingly difficult for me to fulfill my urgent duties as president. And while I am grateful to all your passionate support during this campaign effort, it became evident that the voters of my party seek to open a new chapter. Now, therefore, I have decided to suspend my bid for the presidential nomination of the Republican Party. Neither do I take the decision lightly, nor do I shrink from the task to earn your trust and confidence. As I have carefully weighed in various factors over most recent days, I came to the point where I had to decide whether I spend months and months out campaigning or whether I’ll continue, with all my heart and mind and the help of the almighty, to serve as a full time president, working to fulfill the people’s business. And that’s exactly what I intended to do. Until January 20 of next year, when a new chief executive will take the solemn oath of office.

Never have I aspired to be president, nor did walk away nearly eight years ago, when Nelson Rockefeller asked me to be his vice presidential candidate. I’m incredibly proud of what we have archived together after earning America’s trust twice in 1972 and 1976. The Rockefeller-Ford years were a time of renewal and incredible progress. America is more respected in the world than it ever was in its history. And still, a lot of business remains to be done, to form a more perfect union. Every single day, step by step. That’s exactly what I intend to do in the months left and beyond my presidency. I shall always be a humble servant of America.

Thank you very much. I’ll be taking your questions on another occasion. Thank you.

As the president left the room, several questions were thrown out, to which he didn’t respond. However, White House internal sources said that Ford called Reagan that morning to inform the former governor of his decision to exit the campaign. Accordingly, Reagan was shocked, as neither he nor his advisors actually expected the move and already begun preparations for brokered convention. It was a real scenario in Reagan world, after he had already come within an inch of the nomination in 1972, after losing a contested convention to then-governor Nelson Rockefeller, who put Richard Nixon in charge of the ground operation at the time. Now Reagan had reached a milestone: He was the presumptive nominee of his party. Already considered a frontrunner ever since Rockefeller’s 50-state landslide reelection against one of the messiest Democratic campaigns with Ed Muskie and VP candidate George McGovern in 1976, it was expected he’d have to face a moderate Republican backed by President Rockefeller (Oregon senator Mark Hatfield was reportedly Rockefeller’s choice as his successor). After Rockefeller unexpectedly died in office in May 1979 and Gerald Ford ascended to the presidency, the nomination was considered his. However, Rockefeller was already bleeding support from Republicans during his second term, as he moved closer and closer to the left (such as demanding a public healthcare system in 1977). While Ford has always been less liberal than Rockefeller, he’s was always seen as an extension of the Rockefeller presidency, under whom he served as loyal vice president for more than six years. Having not earned an own mandate, Ford pledged to continue his predecessor’s policies and kept his team in place (especially Nixon at State and Brooke at Justice). Further angering conservatives, Ford chose moderate Republican, UN Ambassador and former Pennsylvania governor Bill Scranton as vice president. What initially looked like longshot bid, Reagan’s campaign gained steam amidst an economic slowdown in late 1979 and into 1980.

According to White House circles, Ford plans to make an official endorsement for Reagan in the following weeks. As much as Reagan’s win is a triumph of his own, he still needs the sitting president to keep some voters of the Rockefeller coalition in line. Ford and former Rockefeller confidants will be key in securing support from moderate Republicans that have been lukewarm towards the California conservative. With his decision, Ford is the first president since Harry Truman in 1952 who declined to run again and first since Chester Arthur in 1884, who had never been elected to a full term either. So far, it’s unclear what Ford intends to do after leaving office in January 1981. Confidants expect him to write memoirs and prepare for a presidential library.

The headlines of April 2, 1980:

In shocking announcement, Ford withdraws and clears the way for Reagan

Are Republicans ready to turn right?

Ford's dangerous exit may destroy his party

The Democrats finally have to take Reagan seriously

Liberal Republicans should look closely at Dems

Goldwater's belated victory over the East Coast Establishment

Are Brown, Bentsen and Askew ready to protect LBJ's and Rocky's legacy?

Ford's selfish act he might regret in November no matter who wins

Three things Reagan has to do now

The real winner of Ford's exit: Edmund Gerald Brown, Jr.

Ronald Reagan reacts to Ford decision

Roland Reagan hit the exit of his rival by surprise when the president himself called him just minutes before appearing before the press. Less than an hour after Ford gave his address, Reagan himself addressed the public.

Ronald Reagan: Ladies and Gentlemen, I have a few remark to make. President Ford this morning informed me of his decision not to seek the Republican nomination anymore. You won't be surprised to hear that I did not expect anything like that to happen. What I can say is that I'm deeply humbled to essentially have won the nomination of the Republican Party to be the next president of this great country of ours. Let me also use this opportunity to thank President Ford for his decency and his service to a thankful nation. Despite the fact we campaigned against each other, I have always maintained high respect for Mr. Ford and his family, and my reasons were never to oppose a man, but to propose a new agenda. Republican voters apparently have reacted to that message accordingly.

However, let me say, the hard work begins now. In the coming months, I'm going to work tirelessly not just to win over all Americans, but especially to earn the trust and confidence of Gerald Ford's supporters. I can hear you all, and you will have my back. Let us as Republicans unite to build a more prosperous and peaceful future and not return to the days of endless welfare programs, deficts and foreign policy decisions that got us into another war. This is the task ahead, and I'm ready to take it on. Together, we will make America greater than ever before. Thank you.

Reporter I: Governor Reagan, will you meet with the president? Did he pledge to support you?

Ronald Reagan: We have not talked about the general election, but I fully expect to do so. I'm going to meet with the president whenever he wishes. His team will reach out to mine whenever they feel comfortable to. They can call any time.

Reporter II: Sir, Governor Reagan, does that mean you will pick a moderate as your running mate? Has the possibility been discussed to keep Vice President Scranton on?

Ronald Reagan: It's too early for this question. I'm not going into any speculation now. At first, I'll have to win the nomination officially.

Reporter III: Governor, which Democrat would you consider easiest to beat? And which one the toghest opponent? I mean, you could be running against Jerry Brown, your successor in Sacramento. Would you like to run against Governor Brown?

Ronald Reagan: (smiles) Even if I had preference, I wouldn't tell you. Seriously, though, that's a question for the Democrats to answer. In the end, I doubt it matters that much. All of them seek to expand the site of government, bureaucracy and are rather naive about the Soviet Union. My focus is on presenting a better vision for America. In the end, the people will decide. Thank you all, my people are telling me it's time to go. Have a great day.

New national polls, post Ford exit

Ronald Reagan (R): 46%
Jerry Brown (D): 43%

Ronald Reagan (R): 45%
Lloyd Bentsen (D): 44%

Ronald Reagan (R): 46%
Reubin Askew (D): 45%

President Ford approval rating
Approve: 51%
Disapprove: 42%

All images Wikimedia Commons (PD)
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #593 on: July 06, 2021, 02:04:51 PM »

So happy this TL is back
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #594 on: July 06, 2021, 02:42:01 PM »

I'm sure you like the new update in particular.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #595 on: July 06, 2021, 02:55:10 PM »

Defintely
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #596 on: July 06, 2021, 03:21:04 PM »

Man i didn't realize this came back. So glad that it has though! It was the first TL i ever read on the forum.
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #597 on: July 06, 2021, 03:29:19 PM »

I'm going to have to re-read this.
Joe Biden 2024
Gorguf

« Reply #598 on: July 08, 2021, 06:48:03 AM »

It lives
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #599 on: July 08, 2021, 01:31:20 PM »

April 8, 1980

DECISION 1980: As various states hold primaries, Brown and Bentsen pull ahead, tied in delegate count

As several more states held their primaries, Jerry Brown and Lloyd Bentsen remain in a tight battle for the Democratic nomination. Reubin Askew meanwhile falls further back.

Arizona
✓ Lloyd Bentsen: 45.5%
Jerry Brown: 31.9%
Reubin Askew: 20.6%

Alaska
✓ Jerry Brown: 57.1%
Reubin Askew: 23.3%
Lloyd Bentsen: 19.1%

Idaho
✓ Jerry Brown: 38.5%
Lloyd Bentsen: 37.0%
Reubin Askew: 22.8%

Hawaii
✓ Jerry Brown: 66.5%
Reubin Askew: 19.5%
Lloyd Bentsen: 14.0%

Utah
✓ Lloyd Bentsen: 51.1%
Reubin Askew: 27.1%
Jerry Brown: 20.2%

Washington
✓ Jerry Brown: 54.0%
Lloyd Bentsen: 30.4%
Reubin Askew: 12.7%

Wisconsin
✓ Lloyd Bentsen: 42.5%
Jerry Brown: 40.6%
Reubin Askew: 16.4%

Wyoming
✓ Lloyd Bentsen: 58.8%
Reubin Askew: 21.0%
Jerry Brown: 19.9%

Jerry Brown: ~25% of delegates
Lloyd Bentsen: ~25% of delegates
Reubin Askew: ~ 5% of delegates
John Glenn: ~2% of delegates
Walter Mondale: ~1% of delegates

April 9, 1980

BREAKING: Reubin Askew suspends campaign, declines to endorse Brown or Bentsen

After failing to win a single contest in the early April contests, former Florida governor Reubin Askew has officially suspended his campaign for the Democratic nomination. “We have to realize that there is little chance to succeed”, the Florida politician told supporters back home in Tallahassee, “therefore, I’m no longer a candidate”. Askew declined to comment on whether he’d favor Brown or Bentsen for his party’s nomination but said he’d support the nominee “full steam ahead” and warned of a potential Reagan presidency. “Republicans have made a turn to the hard right after Rockefeller forces surrendered”, he remarked. Askew started off as a promising hopeful early on who could hold the Democratic coalition together. However, he was never able to rack up enough delegates from the South as there was another strong Southern candidate in the race with Texas Senator Lloyd Bentsen. Bentsen previously called for Askew to withdraw in an effort stop Brown, whom both described as a risky general election candidate. In the course of this battle over the status as leading Southerner, insiders describe some “bad blood” between the two contenders and the actual reason Askew hasn’t endorsed Bentsen.

In case of a Brown nomination, Askew is publically seen as a potential vice presidential choice. Brown declined to comment on the issue, but expressed respect for Askew’s decision to exit the race. Bentsen’s office wasn’t available for a comment at the time.

April 10, 1980: Senator Frank Church endorses Brown for president

California governor Jerry Brown gained an important endorsement in his bid for the presidency: Senator Frank Church (D-ID) has declared his support for the Brown campaign. “At a critical time for our nation and as we enter a new decade, I believe Jerry Brown is providing the kind of new leadership America needs now”, the high-profile lawmaker told various newspapers. Church is expected to stump the campaign trail for Brown in the coming weeks as potentially decisive primary contests are being held. Brown responded by saying he’d look forward to work with Church should he win the White House later that year. Church has proposed numerous reforms of intelligence services and new transparence laws for which Brown has voiced strong support. However, Church is in a tough reelection battle for the senate this year, which has led to speculation Brown might offer him a position in his administration.

April 13, 1980: White House reportedly weighs in military options to free hostages in Iran

Months after American hostage were taken in Iran, the Ford Administration apparently weighs into military solutions to free the employees of the now closed embassy. Sources report that Secretary of State Richard Nixon is a major proponent of such a solution. Nixon already threatened the new Iranian regime with severe consequences should any of the hostages get injured or even killed. Meanwhile, Vice President William Scranton and National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger cotninue to seek a solution through diplomacy and a sanction regime. However, it's been reported that President Gerald Ford has grown increasingly frustrated and a recent Pentgan visit by the commander-in-chief himself has fueled speculation over military options.

Days before, former Secretary of State Nicholas Katzenbach, who served in Nixon's position from 1969 to 1973 under President Johnson, was sent as special envoy to Egypt to meet with Soviet and Iranian representatives. It's being reported that the president will make a final decision based on Katzenbach's efforts.

In a statement, presumptive Republican nominee Ronald Reagan has expressed strong support for a military solution and in the past critcized Ford for not taking more aggressive action. Democratic hopefuls have urged caution on the matter; Jerry Brown warned of a potential regional war that could become another quagmire. One thing became evident: Time was running out and one way or the other, President Ford would like to see this resolved before leaving office.

All images Wikimedia Commons (PD)
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies