The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:12:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35]
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107815 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: September 29, 2022, 01:33:07 PM »

March 13, 1984

BREAKING: Ford wins all six primaries of the night

+++ Gerald Ford secures six wins out of six Republican primaries +++

+++ Sources: Laxalt prepares to quit campaign +++

+++ Ford prepares for general election campaign, hires more staff +++

It was a brief night for Broadcasting stations, as Gerald Ford sweeped through the six primary contests held on March 13. While the former president was expected to easily score a win in Michigan, he also defeated his last rival, Paul Laxalt, in the states of Mississippi and Idaho, where a win was regarded as less secure before. Ford also pulled through in Washington and Missouri, two mid-sized states. North Dakota was also won by Ford, who exceeded expecations. His success was, according to exit polls, a result of strong backing from Republican women and moderate independents voting the the primaries. Observers on election night already called his a strong sign that he would rebuild the so-called "Rockefeller coalition", that led to Republican victories in the 1972 and 1976 elections, in which Ford was the candidate for vice president.

While Ford already addressed his supporters in Michigan that night, Laxalt cancelled a late night speech. Campaign sources invited press members to an event for the next morning back in Nevada. Signs are pointing toward a suspension of the conservative candidate's campaign.

In the meantime, sources already report that Gerald Ford's campaign is moving towards a general election strategy to defeat incumbent president Jerry Brown. Just the Monday before, the campaign already announced several more high-profile hirings. The Ford campaign has now a chairboard in every one of the 50 states.

ELECTION RESULTS

Idaho
✓ Gerald Ford: 58.0%
Paul Laxalt: 39.5%

Michigan
✓ Gerald Ford: 78.4%
Paul Laxalt: 19.7%

Mississippi
✓ Gerald Ford: 54.2%
Paul Laxalt: 45.0%

Missouri
✓ Gerald Ford: 66.1%
Paul Laxalt: 31.6%

North Dakota
✓ Gerald Ford: 62.8%
Paul Laxalt: 35.9%

Washington State
✓ Gerald Ford: 64.3%
Paul Laxalt: 32.9%

The Republican primary map

Gerald Ford: 40% of delegates
Paul Laxalt: 15% of delegates
Phil Crane: 0% of delegates

March 14, 1984

BREAKING: Paul Laxalt announces suspension of campaign, leaves Gerald Ford as presumptive nominee

+++ 1984 election will be BROWN vs. FORD, Battle of the Jerrys +++

+++ Laxalt exits campaign, pledges to support Ford +++

+++ Ford reaffirms running as “Rockefeller/Ford Republican”, but to listen to conservatives +++

After Senator Paul Laxalt declined to address the public on primary night, an ad-hoc press statement was announced for Wednesday noon at his Nevada campaign headquarters. The GOP hopeful spoke after consultations with his team and party leadership.

Senator Laxalt: Thank you everybody for coming here today, and welcome. Ladies and Gentlemen, I have summoned all of you here today to announce the formal suspension of my bid for the presidency. After the latest round of primary contests and our defeats, it is becoming evident that our path to winning the Republican nomination has closed. Just a few minutes ago, I called former President Gerald Ford to inform him about my decision. I congratulated him on a stunning streak of success and a comeback that has rarely been seen in American politics. I pledged to him and his supporters to fully get behind his efforts to reclaim the White House in November. This is our goal right now. My campaign was never about my personal ambitions, it always was about bringing America together and offer a different vision than President Brown. I believe that together we can move forward a win the future with a vision of economic prosperity, peace through strength and an efficient government that does perform basic duties rather than regulating every aspect of our lives. These are to goals I will keep fighting for, as a senator and a citizen this great country of ours. Thank you all again for your lasting support. It was a great honor to be your standard-bearer. Thank you very much again.

Former President and presumptive GOP nominee Gerald Ford reacts to Laxalt dropout

By the middle of March, Gerald Ford reached the point he could not have reached four years ago. Although he didn’t formally collect the necessary number of delegates yet, he was left as the sole contender for the Republican nomination. The former president briefly after Senator Laxalt made a few remarks about the latter’s decision to quit. “I have great respect for Senator Laxalt’s decision and will continue to talk to him and work with him as we seek to offer a different vision for America”, he told reporters, “we did have some disagreements, but in the end, we come together and for a greater goal. That’s what it’s about.”

Ford declined on whether he’s already considering vice presidential candidates or cabinet appointments. However, Ford reaffirmed to run a general election as “Rockefeller/Ford Republican”, referring to his tenure as vice president during the Rockefeller years. However, he also pledged to reach out to conservatives within his own party and work to earn their support. Ford is already scheduled to meet with a group conservative lawmakers the following week. A dinner with Ronald Reagan was also announced for the weeks to come.

President Jerry Brown addresses campaign, reacts to Ford challenge

President Jerry Brown just returned from a six-day international trip to Asia and the Pacific the day Paul Laxalt ended his campaign. “I heard about it on board Air Force One”, the president told a reporter on Andrews Air Force Base. “The coming months we will have a tough but fair fought battle over the future of this country. I believe that Vice President Carter and I have such a future, while my opponent is more interested to revive the 1970s. I want to build the bridge to the 90s and new millennium.”

Sources from within the Brown campaign reaffirm that painting Ford, who would be the oldest president to take office, as a figure of the ancient past is the main strategy of the president’s reelection bid. However, some voices warn that is not enough, given Ford’s continuing lead in the polls. It is no secret the Democrats preferred Senator Laxalt, who was seen as Reagan 2.0, just without the charisma of the former actor.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #851 on: September 30, 2022, 10:44:52 AM »

Brown vs. Ford is going to be an interesting matchup, and the one we should have gotten in 1980 already.

I think it could go either way, though Ford seems to have upper hand here. Especially if the economy doesn't rebound more strongly.
Elcaspar
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.13

« Reply #852 on: October 01, 2022, 03:44:45 PM »

I'm looking forward to this
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #853 on: October 09, 2022, 12:53:11 PM »

March 19, 1984: House committee on Armed Services launches investigation into possible obstruction of Afghan aid

A major blowback for the Brown Administration during an election year: The House Committee on Armed Forces voted to open an investigation into possible obstruction of Afghan aid into the administration. The vote was a major blowback for the White House and its congressional allies as nearly a third of Democratic members joined the Republican minority to initiate the probe. Congressional Republicans demanded such an investigation for months and were finally able to convince enough Democratic colleagues to join their effort. The White House was informed in advance by its allies, that they would no longer have to votes to defeat the motion.

After congress authorized major aid to Afghan forces resisting the Soviet invasion, the Brown Administration was repeatedly accused of delaying and obstructing such aid, especially arms deliveries. After taking office, President Brown issued a moratorium on arms supply, drawing major criticism. After a first attempt to override his action through federal law failed, a second attempt was successful over the president’s veto in 1983. This came after journalists revealed several war crimes by Soviet forces and after the administration refused to adjust course (President Brown and Secretary Shriver said they would favor a diplomatic solution). However, sources from within the Pentagon and military reveal that the administration is deliberately holding up such military aid, although Defense Secretary Edmund Muskie has denied during a senate hearing.

Political observers believe the investigation may hurt the president’s reelection bid just months ahead of the election. Meanwhile, former President Gerald Ford, the presumptive Republican nominee, denied to comment on the matter. “We let the process play out”, a campaign spokesman said, “President Ford will focus on selling his agenda for America instead.”

March 20, 1984: As Ford wins Illinois, Florida and Arizona primaries, delegate majority is in sight

Following Paul Laxalt's suspension of his campaign, former President Gerald Ford easily swept primaries in Illinois, Florida and Arizona, winning 93%, 88% and 86% of the vote, respectively. Ford has now won 49% of all available delegates and expected to reach the number required in early April when Wisconsin conducts its primary. The former chief executive runs unopposed since Laxalt left the race.

March 27, 1984: President Brown issues Executive Order to ban stock trades for federal employees, draws mixed reactions

President Jerry Brown just signed an executive order, banning all federal employees from trading with stocks. While announcing the action, the chief executive said: “transparency and ethical reforms were a cornerstone of my last campaign and are major cornerstone of this campaign. And while we’ve accomplished a lot, there remains a lot of unfinished business. That was one, and I’ve just delivered.”

Court challenges are likely; and some observers argue the wording of the decree may be not concrete enough, especially since smaller exemptions are permitted. During a rally in Connecticut, Gerald Ford called the order a “publicity thing to distract from bad poll numbers.” The Republican candidate also said that he favors legislation to deal with ethical reform within the executive branch. Senator Paul Laxalt, the former GOP presidential candidate, dismissed Brown’s order as an abuse of power.

March 31, 1984: New Gallup polls; Ford opens with clear lead nationally and by state

President Brown Job Approval
Approve: 44% ▼
Disapprove: 48% ▲

1984 General election

Gerald Ford (R): 52%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 44%

Gallup also conducted polls in all 50 states, summarizing the results in ratings map, that will be updated at least once per month.

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #854 on: October 13, 2022, 12:35:00 PM »

April 3, 1984: After Wisconsin primary, Ford collects majority of delegates for Republican nomination

Gerald Ford’s presidential campaign has hit another milestone: After handily winning the Wisconsin primary with 91% of the vote – having run unopposed with Paul Laxalt’s name remaining on the ballot – he has now collected an absolute majority of committed delegates to the Republican presidential nomination. Although more states are expected to hold primaries over the next two months, this formally sets the stage for Ford’s nomination as the party’s candidate. Ford will formally nominated at the Republican National Convention in mid-July, which will take place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. As the press already starts speculating about running mates, the Ford campaign announced that a pick won’t be announced until the final days ahead of the convention. Possibly not even before the convention already begun.

April 15, 1984: Reports: President Brown considers withdrawing 50k US troops from Western and Central Europe

A New York Times report from April 15 reveals an internal Pentagon paper that President Jerry Brown is apparently considering to reduce US troops presence in Western and Central Europe by 50,000. According to the report, the president vows to reduce the defense budget and also plans to relocate troops for logistical reasons. Neither a Pentagon nor White House spokesperson wanted to confirm the reporting. The source also states the commander-in-chief plans to announce his decision after the Democratic National Convention in August. Other sources say such a decision is controversial even within the administration, with Vice President Jimmy Carter and Secretary of State Sargent Shriver expressing doubts.

Ford calls potential troops reduction dangerous, vows to undo decision

The report not only drew criticism from lawmakers from both parties, former President Gerald Ford and presumptive Republican nominee denounced any such plans. “If this report is accurate, it would further embolden an aggressive and hostile Soviet foreign policy. It seems like President Brown has not learned the proper lessons from Moscow’s actions in recent years”, he told a reporter when asked for comment. And he added: “Should any such decisions being made before the election, I fully pledge to undo them in case I win.”

Senator Lloyd Bentsen, a known critic and former rival of Brown, said such a decision would make it “next to impossible” to support the president’s reelection bid. “Maybe I should have ran against him”, the Texas senator added.

Meanwhile, the French, Belgian and West German governments declined to comment. “We’re not discussing reports based on speculation”, Chancellor Helmut Kohl said, “my relationship with President Brown is one of cooperate spirit, and we’ll discuss any such matters directly should they arrive. What comes after the US election is a matter of the American electorate.”

April 21, 1984: Gerald Ford releases detailed medical report, showing him fit to serve

Living up to his promise from the last year, Gerald Ford’s campaign released a detailed medical report of the candidate, confirming his fitness to serve as president again. Ford underwent an extensive medical checkup earlier that month. If elected again, he would be the oldest president to take office at age of 71. He vowed to publish regular updates on his health during his term, should he win the November election.

April 29, 1984: President Brown reluctantly signs budget resolution to avoid government shutdown, deficit increases again

President Jerry Brown reluctantly signed a budget resolution, assuring the government’s funding until June 30, 1985. After months of negotiation, a final package was agreed upon by Democratic and Republican lawmakers. For the president, it was mainly considered a setback after many of his initial proposals were not agreed to. However, a veto would have caused a government shutdown after the previous budget resolution expired at the end of April. At least the Brown Administration was able to secure a funding bill well beyond the election. A shutdown would have been unwelcome for Brown just months ahead of the election and with polls showing him behind Ford.

Initially, President Brown vowed to further reduce the budget deficit, which this package increases again to 285 billion US$. After GOP and some Democratic senators refused to enact tax hikes the president asked for, liberal allies of him were able to secure funding for all major social programs. According to sources familiar, Brown was inclined to follow some Republican proposals and cut spending, but was confronted with major backlash. Senate Republican Leader Mark Hatfield said the compromise was “far from perfect, but something we can live with”. Hatfield and his allies successfully got a 5% increase of the defense budget enacted.

April 30, 1984: New Gallup polls

Approve: 42% ▼
Disapprove: 49% ▲

1984 General election

Gerald Ford (R): 54%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 41%

50 state poll:

Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #855 on: October 13, 2022, 02:42:18 PM »

Ford 1979-1981, Brown 1981-1985, and Ford 1985-1989 seems inevitable.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #856 on: October 13, 2022, 02:52:29 PM »

He'd actually be eligible for another term in 1988 then, since he ascended to the presidency in May 1979 here, so after more than half of Rocky's second term has passed.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #857 on: October 13, 2022, 06:03:13 PM »

He'd actually be eligible for another term in 1988 then, since he ascended to the presidency in May 1979 here, so after more than half of Rocky's second term has passed.

Yes but he'd also be 75 and he was never the Nixonian type who really, really wanted the job.
Zedonathin2020
United States

« Reply #858 on: October 13, 2022, 08:22:24 PM »

Yes but he'd also be 75 and he was never the Nixonian type who really, really wanted the job.

And he would be 80 by the time a hypothetical second (third?) term ended anyway.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #859 on: October 14, 2022, 12:53:21 PM »

True, his dream was always to become speaker of the House, which obviously never happened as Republicans were always in the minority during his leadership tenure. However, Ford definitely didn't want to be a placeholder which is not only why he sought a full term in 1976, I think he may have wanted to run in 1980 as well. He just didn't because Reagan seemed hard to beat then, but Ford didn't officially rule out a candidacy until March 1980 at the time. Who knows, if Reagan won the nomination in 1976 and lost to Carter, Ford's time may have been in 1980.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #860 on: October 15, 2022, 01:25:07 PM »

Ford would only be two years older than Reagan was in his 2nd term
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #861 on: October 15, 2022, 04:33:40 PM »

Ford would only be two years older than Reagan was in his 2nd term

Still it was never Ford's goal to be President.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #862 on: October 20, 2022, 12:41:40 PM »

May 5, 1984: Secretary Shriver announces another delay of Iran-Iraq peace settlement

Following a trip to the negotiation site in Geneva, Secretary of State Sargent Shriver returned back to Washington DC and had the “painful duty” of informing the public that negotiations between Iraq and Iran did not meet the original schedule set. A settlement under US and Soviet mediation was scheduled for the spring after more than a year of exhausting talks. According to Shriver, the negotiations will resume at some time in July and may last for a few more months. However, both parties agreed to uphold the ceasefire that was previously agreed upon. The new peace treaty seeks to determine both countries relationships on several issues, including trade and the economy.

The Brown Administration continues to pressure both sides to accept terms proposed by a US-Soviet group of diplomats. If successful before the November election, President Brown could point a major example how his foreign policy works to secure world peace.

May 10, 1984: President Brown proposes new jobs plan, mixed reactions

Amidst a staggering economy, President Brown promptly proposed a new American Jobs Plan to the public. Congressional allies of him intend to introduce the piece of legislation on the House floor before the summer recess. However, observers think it is unlikely to be passed ahead of the presidential election.

In his plan, Brown suggests an additional 300 billion dollars for broad investments in infrastructure, science and technology to boost economic growth after the Q1 economic record showed an increase in unemployment to 6.8% and just 0.2% growth. As already announced, the presidents vows to increase taxes on upper incomes, close tax loopholes and slow the increase in defense spending. Several Republicans already dismissed the plan.

Gerald Ford vows to introduce own jobs plan in June

Meanwhile, presumptive Republican nominee Gerald Ford immediately responded by announcing an own jobs plan to be presented to the public the following month. He accused the incumbent of “only betting on the government to create growth instead of the private sector” and said Brown would only increase the federal debt even further. “It’s the same he already tried, but didn’t work”.

May 30, 1984: Turmoil in Grenada: President Brown rejects calls for intervention

After months of turmoil, left-wing Prime Minister Maurice Bishop of Grenada resigned from his post and fled Grenada to Cuba. Having been under pressure from hardliners within his own “New Jewel Movement”, he finally quit his position as General Hudson Austin and Bernard Coard took over.

Voices on Capitol Hill, especially from the Republican side of aisle, demanded an intervention of the United States to oust the left-wing regime. Their presumptive nominee Gerald Ford urged a restore of law and order, but declined to answer how exactly he would handle the situation. “I’m not going to reveal what I might do, especially since I don’t have full access to secret information.”

President Brown on May 31 formally rejected an official intervention. “My administration currently evaluates the situation and will respond accordingly, including with a host of sanctions”, he said, “I am not committing to any military operation.”

Critics accused him of weakness. Ford said ruling out any military action was a blanket check for the regime to commit several human rights violations.

May 31, 1984: New Gallup polls

Approve: 44% ▲
Disapprove: 48% ▼

1984 General election

Gerald Ford (R): 51%
Jerry Brown (D, inc.): 43%

50 state poll:

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #863 on: October 27, 2022, 12:54:09 PM »

So I'm going to pause the TL for some time being. I'm mainly writing this stuff outside the time I spend on the forum. Time is unfortunately limited between a full-time job, a household, social life and some online activities. However, it's more because of the novel I begun writing a few months ago, which I decided - after some years of "private practice" - to do in a more professional fashion. Once it's published, which I plan to do this time, I'll post this in Forum Community. It will certainly take some time.

Initially I planned a break after the election, but keeping the current pace of updates would take at least two or three months. I really don't want to shorten any of my posts or just write very short summaries. So it's definitely not a suspension, just a break as I have to set a few priorities. It won't affect my posting otherwise.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies