The liberal Republic
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:39:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 35
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 106744 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: February 24, 2018, 06:34:58 AM »
« edited: February 25, 2018, 05:48:04 AM by President Johnson »

November 8, 1972

Vice President Kennedy officially concedes presidential election

As the final result was not known until two o’clock, Bobby Kennedy decided to deliver his concession speech the next morning after calling Nelson Rockefeller at night. He was introduced by his running mate Jimmy Carter, who thanked all supporters for their lasting support and called on Democrats to support the incoming administration. For Carter, the election was just a temporary loss: He could return to Georgia to continue his governorship, but already made his name well known nationally and proved his electability in the South and beyond.

CROWD: Kennedy! Kennedy! Bobby! Bobby! [Applause]

VICE PRESIDENT KENNEDY: Thank you my friends. I appreciate your warm welcome. Thank you Jimmy, for being an awesome running mate. I couldn’t be prouder of you all the people here who supported me long before I ran for the presidency and who worked their heart out for our mission. Thank you all again. Last night, I called Nelson Rockefeller and congratulated him on his election to the presidency. [CROWD interrupts: Nooooo!! ]. Please. Please. I know, this is a tough time for all of us. But a great character is not just shown in the joy of victory, but also – or even more – in the sorrow of defeat and in which manner we handle it. I am sad, but not bitter. The democratic process has worked its will. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
President-elect Rockefeller ran a positive campaign that rallied millions of Americans behind his cause and I expressed my respect for these Americans, who voted for him and Gerald Ford. I also offered him my full cooperation in the upcoming transition and beyond and expressed my hope, that he and Vice President-elect Ford will be successful in leading our nation. And I would urge each and every one of you to do likewise. Let us leave the division behind and unite as one country with equal rights and justice for all. And while I proposed different policies, I am not worried over the general course of America. Nelson Rockefeller has long served his country and the state of New York. There is no question about his qualifications and personal integrity to be our commander-in-chief. He is a good man.
Finally, I also want to express my thanks to President Lyndon Johnson for giving me the opportunity to serve at his side over the last four years as vice president and for his help on the campaign trail. And let me also thank all of you again. I will never forget how whole-hearted you have supported me over the years. Ethel and I will always be thankful to you. Please never forget: Our mission goes on! It goes on with you out there. Thank you again, god bless you, and god bless America.

The vice president’s campaign confirmed reports the next day that he visited President-elect Rockefeller at his New York office to congratulate him in person on the afternoon of November 8. Rockefeller’s office also confirmed the meeting and described the conversation as “very friendly and productive”.

President Johnson addresses the nation on election outcome

President Lyndon B. Johnson chats with reporters at his Texas Ranch after commenting the election outcome in public

At his Texas ranch, President Lyndon B. Johnson went before the cameras to address the nation.

PRESIDENT JOHNSON: Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen here at the LBJ Ranch and my fellow countrymen: Yesterday, Americans have elected a new president in fair, secret and free elections. As soon as the election outcome was determined, I phoned President-elect Nelson Rockefeller and congratulated him and Vice President-elect Gerald R. Ford on a compassionate campaign and their victory. I look forward in working with Governor Rockefeller and invited him to the Executive Mansion coming Friday to discuss the transition that will take place in the next two months. I expect this to be a very smooth transformation of power. I have already instructed my staff and cabinet to prepare for this phase and reach out to his team, which will be organized as I speak to you. Americans can be certain the federal government functions at any time.
Having known President-elect Rockefeller for many years, I can assure the American people that the United States will be in good hands when he takes office in January of 1973. The first priority of my administration is now to ensure the incoming president has a good start and I sincerely hope you bestow your trust and confidence to President-elect Rockefeller, as needs it to lead this country with success. Let us also thank Vice President Bobby Kennedy for his outstanding service to our nation and his deep devotion for the cause of a better America. I am proud to have served with him and I wish him and his family personally and politically all the best. The same is true for Governor Carter, who, I am sure, will remain a passionate voice for our policies and I will always support him in this cause.
Thank you for your attention, and god bless America.

The president would return to Washington the next day and prepare for the transition and the final two months of his nine year presidency. As political observers noted in their writings, LBJ looked old and less vital than in the early years of his administration. Although he was at the same age than the incoming president (both 64), nine long years at the biggest job in the world and a near-deadly heart-attack had a price.

Press voices

As the press commented President Johnson's appearance, it was no secret that LBJ felt comfortable about his designated successor, who would not be an essential treat to his Great Society. The concern his legacy could be ripped apart died the day Nelson Rockefeller defeated Ronald Reagan for the Republican nomination. And possibly the Rockefeller victory ensures that the Gipper may never be president: Had RFK won, Reagan would have been the frontrunner for 1976 and thrown the liberal GOP wing into disarray. After the humiliating defeat in 1964, the liberal wing of the Republican Party now seemed stronger than at any time of the past two decades with their leader sitting in the White House soon. Now it remains to be seen how Nelson Rockefeller puts his administration together. He is likely to put leading liberals of his party such as George Romney in charge of important posts, but at some point he has to reach out to the conservatives. It also remains to be seen who will lead the Democratic Party into the next years now that both President Johnson and Vice President Kennedy will be out of office soon. It is possible that Hubert Humphrey emerges as the de-facto Democratic leader. Other names are Albert Brewer and Jimmy Carter, who represent a new and more liberal generation of southern Democrats. Some obeservers already wrote that the outcome of the 1972 presidential election may be one of the most consequential in the 20th century despite the fact that both major nominees had more in common politically than in many previous match-ups.

★★★ The full election results ★★★

Infobox

Results by state

Maps and graphs

✓ Governor Nelson A. Rockefeller (R-NY)/Representative Gerald R. Ford (R-MI): 275 EV. (47.71%)
Vice President Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY)/Governor James E. Carter (D-GA): 229 EV. (45.63%)
Former Governor Lester G. Maddox (A-GA)/Businessman George P. Mahoney (A-MD): 34 EV. (6.14%)

Miscellanea

- With the passage of the 26th Amendment in 1971, this was the first election 18-21 year olds voted in a presidential election. Robert Kennedy won among this group 53% to 44%.
- Lester Maddox won 34 electoral votes, more than any other third-party candidate since Strom Thurmond in 1948 (who got 39). He also won more votes (6.1%) than any third-party contender since 1912.
- At 64 years, Nelson Rockefeller became the oldest first-time elected president since 1856.
- For the first time since 1876, a president has been elected who shares the same year of birth than his predecessor, as both Johnson and Rockefeller were born in 1908.
- The winner’s electoral vote share (275; or 51.1%) was smallest since 1876.
- Nelson Rockefeller won 21% of the black vote, the most for a Republican since Richard Nixon in 1960.
- While the losing ticket won the homestates of both nominees (New York and Georgia), the winning ticket did neither, as New York and Michigan voted not for Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford.
- Nelson Rockefeller will become the wealthiest president upon his inauguration, surpassing John F. Kennedy. He will also become the first divorced and re-married president.
- As Democrats control congress, Nelson Rockefeller will become the first president who enters office without having a congressional majority for his party in either house since Andrew Johnson in 1865.

Senate results

Dark red/blue = Democratic/Republican hold
Light red/blue = Democratic/Republican gain
Grey = No senate election in 1972

52 Democratic (net change  -1 seat), 46 Republican (net change:  +1 seat), 1 Conservative (net change:  no change), 1 Independent Democrat (net change:  no change)

Democratic gains: DE, ME, SD
Republican gains: NM, NC, OK, VA

House of Representatives

227 Democratic (net change  -6 seats); 208 Republican (net change:  +6 seats)

Congressional Leadership will be listed when the new congress assembles in January 1973.

Writer's note: The total numbers cast per state are real 1972 numbers, while the percentages are TL results. Next: The presidential transition and Nelson Rockefeller's cabinet selections!
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2018, 03:49:27 AM »

This was great! Might even be for the best- without Watergate and Reagan, perhaps the era of polarization will never come in the intensity we're seeing today.
Rocky '76, RFK '80, RFK '84! Tongue

if you want to stop that , have some other GOP congressman become the Speaker of the House in the mid 1990s.

Agreed, though Reagan laid the ideological groundwork and moved the party to the right on many issues. But he understood how to make deals with Democrats and hold common-sense positions on some other topics (like gun control) and was pretty liberal in immigration. With this stance, he'd likely perform poorly in today's Republican Party (Reagan is actually some Jeff Flake with more charisma).

Rocky 76 and then RFK seems likely at this moment of history, but I'd just like to remind that several leaders including presidents came out of nowhere within a short period of time. Who heard of Barack Obama in 2000 or Bill Clinton 1984 outside of their constituencies? However, it's weird or funny to think about RFK being a major figure in the 1980s.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2018, 04:06:08 AM »

This was great! Might even be for the best- without Watergate and Reagan, perhaps the era of polarization will never come in the intensity we're seeing today.

if you want to stop that , have some other GOP congressman become the Speaker of the House in the mid 1990s.

Agreed, though Reagan laid the ideological groundwork and moved the party to the right on many issues. But he understood how to make deals with Democrats and hold common-sense positions on some other topics (like gun control) and was pretty liberal in immigration. With this stance, he'd likely perform poorly in today's Republican Party (Reagan is actually some Jeff Flake with more charisma).

Rocky 76 and then RFK seems likely at this moment of history, but I'd just like to remind that several leaders including presidents came out of nowhere within a short period of time. Who heard of Barack Obama in 2000 or Bill Clinton 1984 outside of their constituencies? However, it's weird or funny to think about RFK being a major figure in the 1980s.

I would say more of a John Kasich with Charisma(Remember Kasich was considered pretty conservative when he was in Congress, now he is considered a moderate).

I would say he could do well in the GOP primary for these reasons: He was very charismatic, he was very good of appealing to conservative and moderate voters without looking like a flip-flopper, and he probably would get a lot of support from the establishment.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2018, 04:12:34 AM »

I would say more of a John Kasich with Charisma(Remember Kasich was considered pretty conservative when he was in Congress, now he is considered a moderate).

I would say he could do well in the GOP primary for these reasons: He was very charismatic, he was very good of appealing to conservative and moderate voters without looking like a flip-flopper, and he probably would get a lot of support from the establishment.

Maybe the GOP has moved so far right than Kasich or even Reagan look so moderate now. I'd actually find Kasich to be more of a Gerald Ford for his kindness and moderate views (though was actually more of a centrist and as far as I remember, Kasich once said he supported Reagan in 1976). Reagan would certainly do better than Jeb or Rubio, but I'm not sure he could beat Donald Trump.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #204 on: February 25, 2018, 04:16:28 AM »

Hm, that might be the way we see him today, but Reagan did move the Republican party far to the right and basically erased the Rockfeller Republicans from existence. He's the founder of modern-day Republicanism, all of them are in his mold in the end. So without a President Reagan, I believe that we'd have a very different Republican party.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #205 on: February 25, 2018, 04:23:47 AM »

Maybe the GOP has moved so far right than Kasich or even Reagan look so moderate now. I'd actually find Kasich to be more of a Gerald Ford for his kindness and moderate views (though was actually more of a centrist and as far as I remember, Kasich once said he supported Reagan in 1976). Reagan would certainly do better than Jeb or Rubio, but I'm not sure he could beat Donald Trump.

It really depends on how large the field is . If its 1 on 1 vs him and Trump from the beginning he can win as he can win IA ,SC, and NV(Reagan being from the West will help him win this state) and use that momentum to cruise towards the nomination, but if he has to go through a 17 candidate field he wont win.

The problem is this should have been the establishment's strategy from around late October 2015 if they wanted to stop Trump:

Support Cruz in IA(Yes Cruz is terrible but IA was really only going to be won by either him or Trump)
Support Kaisch in NH
Support Rubio in SC and NV

Then with Trump loses in each of the first four primaries he doesnt have any momentum going into super tuesday and its a race between Kasich, Cruz , Rubio for the nomiantion.  Instead they backed Jeb all the way until it was too late(Like after SC).

I would say the Establishment's arrogrance with trying to crown Jeb is a huge part what led to Trump.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #206 on: February 25, 2018, 04:35:02 AM »

Hm, that might be the way we see him today, but Reagan did move the Republican party far to the right and basically erased the Rockfeller Republicans from existence. He's the founder of modern-day Republicanism, all of them are in his mold in the end. So without a President Reagan, I believe that we'd have a very different Republican party.

No they are much more like Gingrich than Reagan. Reagan was bipartisan, believed in working with both sides and wasnt that culturally conservative.

The fact is in OTL  the Republican party moving towards Reaganism(on economic issues) was inevitable at some point. After FDR the GOP's old coalition completely crumbled(Due to the North East becoming Democratic ) and the GOP were in the wilderness for 36 years(Rockefeller Republicanism was basically the only way that they could win elections and thats why that wing was powerful). During this time the South West and the Suburban population was growing rapidly and they were getting pretty disillusioned with big government, high taxation, and powerful union politics which dominated during that era and by the late 1970s had grown too strong for the Rockefeller Republicans to stop.

Now in this TL things may change since Nixon does not win in 1968 (as that was the year things started to change not 1980)

President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #207 on: February 25, 2018, 05:26:36 AM »
« Edited: March 02, 2018, 01:30:06 PM by President Johnson »

The transition: From LBJ to Rocky

November 9, 1972: President-elect Rockefeller puts transition team together, names Gerald Ford its head

Vice President-elect Gerald Ford has already been assigned to an important task: He will chair the transition of Team Rockefeller

Two days after his election, President-elect Nelson Rockefeller went to work to prepare for his presidency: He named Vice President-elect Gerald Ford to be the head of the transition team. Media observers described Ford’s selection for this important role as an indication that the president-elect intends to give his second-in-command a major role in his government similar to Lieutenant Governor Malcolm Wilson in New York state, who Governor Rockefeller gave important tasks to do as well. When asked about the assignment, the president-elect responded with a smile: "I haven't selected Jerry to be standby equipment and to go to funerals".

Other notable people of the Transition Team include Republicans across the spectrum: Ronald Reagan has been appointed vice chair and will oversee the schedule. Long-time Rockefeller advisor Henry Kissinger is also joining the team, heading the foreign policy group. For Kissinger, this is an easy task as he already worked for President Johnson and has contacts to foreign leaders. Soon after, rumors began swirl that he would become Secretary of State. The team also includes outgoing Senator Margret Chase-Smith (R-ME), Congressman Pete McCloskey (R-CA) and former vice president Richard Nixon. After being voted out in Maine, Chase-Smith is also seen as a likely appointee in the new administration. In addition, she would give Nelson Rockefeller the opportunity to put a woman in a high position, as he said he would do during the campaign.

Rocky also began organizing the transition in New York state, as he would turn the governorship over to Lieutenant Governor and personal friend Malcolm Wilson sometime in January.

November 10, 1972: President Johnson meets President-elect Rockefeller at the White House

From one president to another: LBJ and Rocky speak at the White House transition meeting

Day three after the election: On this Friday, President Lyndon Johnson welcomed President-elect Nelson Rockefeller to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue for a first meeting. The two men spoke for more than three hours and had lunch together. It was well known and visible that both men had not just a mutual respect for each other, both shared a similar view on government activism to improve life conditions. Both men also did not attack each other during the campaign, although LBJ was on RFK’s side and made speeches for his vice president. Vice President Kennedy and his designated successor Gerald Ford also had a transition meeting and joined the two presidents at lunch. As White House insiders said, the mood at lunch was very friendly and positive. Other notable people from both sides met as well. Henry Kissinger sat down with Secretary of State Katzenbach to discuss foreign affairs and a new round of negotiations with the Soviets.

At the end of their meeting, President Johnson and President-elect Rockefeller just gave a brief statement and praised each other (the press was mainly excluded except for the final statement). LBJ remarked the two would meet again very soon. Rocky added that he’s looking forward to consult with his predecessor frequently during his presidency and listen to the advice of the nation’s 36th president, who sat for nine years in the chief executive’s chair. "We won't find another individual other than Lyndon in our lifetimes who hold the job for over nine years. I look forward to get his opinions on a broad range of issues", the incoming president commented.

Later that day, President-elect Rockefeller met with congressional leaders for dinner to discuss the agenda of his first months in office. Senator Hubert Humphrey, who also participated, spoke of “very productive talks” with the incoming president and his deputy.

November 14, 1972: George McGovern slams Lester Maddox for RFK’s loss

Senator McGovern: Lester Maddox is to blame for RFK's narrow defeat

It had been remarkably quiet among leading Democrats since election day, but a week after voters cast their ballots, Senator and former presidential candidate George McGovern (D-SD) slammed Lester Maddox for Bobby Kennedy’s narrow defeat. “Had Maddox not entered the race, RFK would be president-elect now. I hope we learn our lesson”, the senator with own presidential ambitions said. Most other leading Democrats declined to comment. And Hubert Humphrey remarked: "My focus is on the future and not discussions what might have been. That doesn't help a single American".

November 21, 1972: President-elect Rockefeller announces first cabinet nominations, Agnew to become Attorney General

Left to right: Spiro Agnew, nominated for Attorney General; Thomas Kuchel, choice for Labor Secretary and John Anderson, nominee for Secretary of Agriculture

Exactly two weeks after his victory, President-elect Rockefeller announces his first cabinet picks: Spiro Agnew will join the administration as Attorney General. The Maryland governor and unsuccessful presidential candidate has accepted the offer to come to Washington and serve in the administration. As governor and during his campaign for the GOP nomination, Agnew presented himself as a staunch supporter of law-and-order policies but with a commitment to civil rights. Press observers described the selection as well taken, as Agnew was appealing to more conservative Republicans and voters, but not alienating Rockefeller's base of support from pro-civil rights groups. In a statement, Agnew said he was "deeply honored for this opportunity" and that he wants to serve the cause of "civil liberty and equal justice under law for everybody with no tolerance for violent criminals."

The president-elect’s office announced two more nominations: Former California Senator Thomas Kuchel, a liberal Republican, will head the Labor Department. President-elect Rockefeller and Senator Kuchel have a lot in common politically. Rocky noted that he will be a "champion for worker's rights". In addition, former Kansas Governor John Anderson has been selected to be Secretary of Agriculture. The Los Angeles Times already noted that Nelson Rockefeller apparently has a preference for governors to serve in his administration, as they are more familiar with running a government bureaucracy. Having been a governor himself, he obviously prefers to surround himself with people of similar experiences.

November 24, 1972: John Connally nominated for Secretary of Commerce

Once a Texas Democrat, now a moderate Republican: Former Governor John Connally will join the Rockefeller Administration and be the head of the Commerce Department

Another important cabinet decision was made public this Friday: Former Texas governor and Navy Secretary (under JFK) John Connally, a personal friend of President Johnson, joins the Rockefeller Administration as Secretary of Commerce. Connally supported Rocky early on during the campaign and recently switched his party affiliation from Democratic to Republican. Now his loyalty gets rewarded and a native Texan a place in the new administration.

November 28, 1972: John B. Anderson tapped as White House Chief of Staff

Representative John B. Anderson is set to become White House Chief of Staff, making him a key figure in the new president's team

And another John Anderson for Rocky: Congressman John B. Anderson of Illinois, a liberal Republican, received the nomination for the role as White House Chief of Staff. The 50 year old congressman, at Capitol Hill since 1961, has been involved in the transition team and actively supported the Rockefeller campaign. Although some conservative Republicans were skeptical behind closed doors, the president-elect’s confidence gave Anderson the job as head of the White House staff and key policy maker in the Executive Mansion. Anderson himself apparently did not expect the opportunity and said: “I am deeply thankful for the confidence President-elect Rockefeller has put in me. I look forward to assist our next president in leading America and do everything I can to contribute to the success of this administration”. Reports indicated that Vice President-elect Gerald Ford presented the choice, a fellow congressman from the mid-west, to his new boss. The incoming chief executive obviously very much liked "that fellow from Illinois" [as Rocky reportedly responded to the suggestion].

November 30, 1972: New polls! Released by Gallup

With his presidency nearing an end, President Johnson improves his standing among voters once again. A majority also thinks that his tenure was a overall success. Both Vice President Kennedy and President-elect Rockefeller get high grades as well. The American people obviously responded positively to Nelson Rockefeller's post-election message and are willing to give their new leader their trust.

President Johnson job approval
Approve: 60%
Disapprove: 36%

Questions

Q: No matter how you voted, do you feel that President-elect Rockefeller cares for you?
Yes: 78%
No: 16%

Q: Do you approve or disapprove President-elect Rockefeller's performance so far?
Approve: 83%
No: 11%

Q: Do you approve or disapprove how Vice President Kennedy handled his defeat?
Approve: 85%
No: 7%

Q: Do you regard Lyndon B. Johnson's presidency as a overall success?
Yes: 63%
No: 30%

Q: Which issue should President-elect Rockefeller give the highest priority after his swearing-in? [name one]
World peace: 28%
The economy: 19%
Civil Rights: 12%
Taxes: 10%
Infrastructure: 7%
The environment: 6%
Energy: 5%
Education: 3%
Government ethics: 2%
Others: 9%

Opinion of leading politicans

President Lyndon B. Johnson
Favorable: 59%
Unfavorable: 37%
No opinion/never heard of: 4%

Vice President Robert F. Kennedy
Favorable: 63%
Unfavorable: 34%
No opinion/never heard of: 3%

President-elect Nelson Rockefeller
Favorable: 65%
Unfavorable: 30%
No opinion/never heard of: 5%

Vice President-elect Gerald Ford
Favorable: 54%
Unfavorable: 27%
No opinion/never heard of: 19%

Secretary of State Nicholas Katzenbach
Favorable: 65%
Unfavorable: 33%
No opinion/never heard of: 7%

Senator Hubert Humphrey
Favorable: 55%
Unfavorable: 39%
No opinion/never heard of: 6%

Former Governor George Wallace
Favorable: 43%
Unfavorable: 40%
No opinion/never heard of: 17%

Former Governor Lester Maddox
Favorable: 30%
Unfavorable: 56%
No opinion/never heard of: 14%

Governor Ronald Reagan
Favorable: 52%
Unfavorable: 38%
No opinion/never heard of: 10%

Governor Jimmy Carter
Favorable: 50%
Unfavorable: 26%
No opinion/never heard of: 24%

Governor Albert Brewer
Favorable: 44%
Unfavorable: 21%
No opinion/never heard of: 35%

Governor Spiro Agnew
Favorable: 49%
Unfavorable: 35%
No opinion/never heard of: 16%

Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield
Favorable: 40%
Unfavorable: 29%
No opinion/never heard of: 31%

Senate Minority Hugh Scott
Favorable: 35%
Unfavorable: 22%
No opinion/never heard of: 43%

House Speaker Carl Albert
Favorable: 40%
Unfavorable: 27%
No opinion/never heard of: 33%
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #208 on: February 25, 2018, 10:56:41 AM »

Nice! Many of the choices are great.
Also, hm, Agnew... Looks like the first scandal of the new administration has been set in motion Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #209 on: February 25, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »

I'll be honest, the Agnew and (Bayard) Anderson picks seem strange to me--Treasury seems like the type of thing to generally be the province of former federal reserve leaders or whose who work in finance. I would assume that a New York loyalist would, meanwhile, be leading the Rockefeller White House. I believe Agnew's experience makes him more of an Attorney General type of candidate--he has legal credentials and would help to round out Rockefeller's "law and order" stance. In such a position, I could see him as being a sort of comic attack dog for the administration, helping to draw heat for more conservative policies while at the same time earning the adoration of "silent majority" types.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #210 on: February 26, 2018, 10:44:04 AM »

Fine updates! Both Rockefeller and RFK delivered very classy speeches after the election. Although RFK was my choice, Rockefeller would have my support as prez. So far mostly good appointments, except for the dude who later turned to be corrupt.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: February 28, 2018, 03:12:16 PM »

December 4, 1972: President-elect Rockefeller makes key nominations on foreign and defense policy: Romney heads to the Pentagon, Kissinger for National Security Advisor, Scranton for UN Ambassador

Left to right: George Romney has been picked as Secretary of Defense; Henry Kissinger will become National Security Advisor and Bill Scranton America's voice at the UN

Monday, December 4 saw major nominations for President-elect Rockefeller’s foreign and defense policy team: Long-time supporter and fellow liberal Republican George Romney, the former Michigan governor, will take over the job as Secretary of Defense. With the appointment, Mr. Romney reenters the political arena after being out of public office for two years. His nomination to a top job itself is hardly a surprise, though observers expected the 65 year old ex-governor to go to the State or Treasury Department instead. The selection is also interesting because then-Governor Romney made a heavy blunder during his brief 1968 presidential campaign by admitting the military had once “brainwashed” him. When asked about the issue from five years ago, President-elect Rockefeller spoke of “yesterday’s news” that should not be “over interpreted” for “poor wording”. Instead, he praised Romney’s leadership skills: “Governor Romney has been a businessman and successful governor. He has the capacity to lead a bureaucracy such as the Pentagon effectively. My goal is to have a very strong military but streamline processes inside the department, so that we deliver the best national defense with the lowest possible burden for taxpayers. A competent team of military experts around outgoing Secretary Clark Clifford will remain in place. I have full confidence in George and the employees of the Pentagon to manage this task and oversee the final end of the draft.”

Another important nomination was no surprise either: Henry Kissinger will play a key role in foreign policy in the new administration. The Rockefeller protégé and foreign policy expert, who also worked for President Johnson from 1969 to 1971, has been assigned to the role of National Security Advisor. That means he'll be in the West Wing and directly report to the president. Mr. Kissinger stands for some continuity in foreign affairs and is staunch supporter of a détente policy toward the USSR and Red China. Political observers suggested he may become Secretary of State before the announcement was made.

The post of the UN Ambassador has gained more stature in recent years, so that this nomination received some attention as well. Although being a loyal Rockefeller supporter and member of the transition, former Pennsylvania Governor William Scranton wasn’t on anybody’s shortlist for the Ambassadorship. Nevertheless, he accepted President-elect Rockefeller’s offer to take the job. Scranton has no foreign policy experience, but Nelson Rockefeller praised his “negotiating skills and a deep knowledge of world affairs.”

Who will be Secretary of State? Is the Gipper in play?

Will Ronald Reagan become Secretary of State? Some observers raised this possibility

Kissinger out for Secretary of State… now what? That was the biggest question in Washington following the latest series of announcements by the president-elect’s office. Who would receive the nomination for the de-facto highest ranking cabinet position in Nelson Rockefeller’s Administration? Rumors were around since the election, but now more and more observers raised the question whether Ronald Reagan was a serious option for the State Department? Various reports, citing insider information, claimed the California governor and runner-up for the Republican nomination was under consideration by President-elect Rockefeller and his inner circle. He wouldn't be the first unsucessful candidate to take over the job as America's top-diplomat (a prime example is William H. Seward in President Lincoln's administration).

Originally the Gipper ruled out to join a Rockefeller Administration, but might he change his mind? His second term as governor will expire in early 1975 and so far he has sent no signals for a third term run. By taking the role as Secretary of State, Reagan could gain more credentials on foreign policy what would be beneficial for another presidential run in the future. The position would also allow him to remain a key player at the national stage for the next years. On the other hand, the Gipper would be required to implement Rocky's foreign policy. Especially with regard to détente and Latin America policy, there are differences which shouldn't be underestimated. And between the president himself and Henry Kissinger making foreign policy at the White House, the Secretary of State's role might be marginalized. For Nelson Rockefeller, there were ups and downs as well. On the one hand, he would have more control over his top rival within the party and get him out of domestic policy, on the other hand, he might prefer a loyalist at the State Department who shares more of his views in foreign affairs. In the end, it was both a chance and a risk for either side.

The president-elect's office, on December 9, announced that the final pick is likely to be made public between Christmas and New Year's Eve.

December 12, 1972: Mike Mansfield to step down as Senate Majority leader, Hubert Humphrey set to take position

Senator Mike Mansfield (D-MT) surprisingly announced that he wants to step down as Democratic leader in the senate. Senator Hubert Humphrey (D-MN) has been designated to take over that powerful role

In the midst of all the discussions and speculation around the Rockefeller Administration’s formation, there is going to be a significant change on the Democratic side, too: Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield, leading his caucus since LBJ left congress in early 1961, announced he would step down as Democratic senate leader coming January. At a press gathering, he said: “In these changing times, I believe it serves our party, and more importantly the nation best, to turn over this position to a new leader. I want to suggest my dear colleague and friend Hubert Humphrey for the position. Hubert has the experience and passion to lead our caucus effectively. I am proud to have served for twelve years as Majority Leader and I enjoyed every minute of it. I will continue to represent the people of the great state of Montana and be available for any task or advice I am asked for by my party. Thank you very much.”

The move by Senator Mansfield came unexpectedly for the public. Even as he was turning 70 the next year, the political veteran from Montana made a very vital impression, though he was never a great showman and preferred working in the background. The selection of Hubert Humphrey, who was the sole candidate for the job, was well received among Democrats in congress and at the base. In addition, the two outgoing party leaders LBJ and RFK backed Humphrey for Majority Leader. The former vice president and passionate liberal warrior, who reentered the senate in 1971, was overshadowed by Bobby Kennedy in the last months after losing the Democratic nomination to the charismatic vice president. Before, he was also overshadowed by President Johnson’s dominance in the government apparatus. Now that LBJ would be gone and RFK was set leave the national stage as well – at least temporarily – Democrats looked for a new leader in the upcoming Rockefeller years. Humphrey seemingly was their man. Someone who was standing up for his cause, but also somebody, with whom future President Rockefeller could find common ground and build a personal relationship to get things done. They undeniably needed each other in the next years.

December 19, 1972: President-elect Rockefeller makes more cabinet nominations; Chase-Smith to become HHS Secretary, two more governors named

Left to right: Margaret Chase-Smith for HHS Secretary; Walter R. Peterson is set to become Transportation Secretary and John Arthur Love will head the Interior Department

As Christmas neared, President-elect Rockefeller and his team announced more cabinet appointments. As expected, outgoing Maine Senator Margaret Chase-Smith, a moderate and the first woman elected to the senate, will become a member of the administration. She accepted Nelson Rockefeller's offer to take over the Department of Health and Human Services. Chase-Smith remarked that she is "excited to serve the 37th President of the United States in delivering results for the American people." The selection was well received among members of congress from both parties and the press.

The nomination for Secretary of Transportation went to another New England officeholder who just lost reelection: Outgoing New Hampshire governor Walter R. Peterson was ultimately selected for the post. Insiders reported that Nelson Rockefeller also considered Congressman Barry Goldwater Jr., son of Barry Goldwater and member of the House Transportation Committee, to appease the conservative wing, but negotiations in the end failed (publically this was denied).

And one more pick was made public that day: Secretary of the Interior would be outgoing Colorado governor John Arthur Love. Like previous Interior secretaries, the nomination went to a westerner this time as well.
Jaguar4life
United States

« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2018, 06:32:36 PM »

Please let Ronnie Raygun be Secretary Of State.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #213 on: March 02, 2018, 01:32:35 PM »

I'll be honest, the Agnew and (Bayard) Anderson picks seem strange to me--Treasury seems like the type of thing to generally be the province of former federal reserve leaders or whose who work in finance. I would assume that a New York loyalist would, meanwhile, be leading the Rockefeller White House. I believe Agnew's experience makes him more of an Attorney General type of candidate--he has legal credentials and would help to round out Rockefeller's "law and order" stance. In such a position, I could see him as being a sort of comic attack dog for the administration, helping to draw heat for more conservative policies while at the same time earning the adoration of "silent majority" types.

Well, I first thought about Agnew being AG, but you're right, that position fits him better. I didn't pick him in the first place since I had somebody else in mind, but that one might enter the stage later following Agnew. After some consideration, I edited the post and gave him the Justice Dept. instead of Treasury. A replacement here will be announced later on Tongue
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #214 on: March 02, 2018, 01:57:17 PM »

>Helms still wins

God damn it.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #215 on: March 03, 2018, 04:45:44 AM »

Awh, was hoping Smith or Romney would get the State Department. Hoping it won't be Reagan.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #216 on: March 03, 2018, 07:16:30 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2018, 10:49:30 AM by President Johnson »

December 30, 1972: Secretary of State pick announced at press conference: It's Richard Nixon!

Former Vice President Richard Nixon speaks as President-elect Rockefeller introduced him as nominee for Secretary of State.

Bombshell in Washington! This morning, President-elect Rockefeller, joined by Vice President-elect Ford, went before the press to introduce his selection for Secretary of State. Afterwards, reporters were permitted to ask questions. A stunning move!

PRESIDENT-ELECT ROCKEFELLER: Good morning Ladies and Gentlemen, distinguished members of the press and my fellow Americans: Today I am delighted to present to you the man who I will nominate for the office of Secretary of State. After careful consideration and examination with my team, I have decided to offer the position to former vice president Richard Nixon. Yesterday, Mr. Nixon has accepted to serve as America?s chief diplomat in the Rockefeller/Ford Administration. Vice President Nixon brings a long experience in foreign affairs and a profound knowledge world affairs to the table and is, as I have determined, excellently qualified to be the head of the State Department. He will closely work with the president, the incoming White House staff and Doctor Kissinger to ensure that America will stand tall in the world by granting world peace and stability. Now, please come on stage, Dick, and say a few words, before we are taking some questions. Thank you all.

RICHARD NIXON: Thank you, my friends. Ladies and Gentlemen, I am deeply honored to stand before you this morning as the nominee for Secretary of State. I am deeply grateful for the trust President-elect Nelson Rockefeller has placed in me. I look forward in working with the new president, his whole team, the cabinet and the congress to the benefit of our great nation. I look forward to meet with senators from both sides of the aisle in the coming days to discuss the confirmation process and America?s role in the world. I will also meet with Secretary Katzenbach and his staff later today to ensure a swift transition at the State Department. Every American should know that the whole Rockefeller team, including myself, is taking this responsibity seriously. So, thank you again and now we are ready to take any questions.

REPORTER I: Mr. Nixon, did you expect to be offered this position? I mean, you were engaged in the campaign for President-elect Rockefeller. Is this the reward?

RICHARD NIXON: No, believe it or not, I have not anticipated any job offer and didn't ask for it. The only thing I told the president-elect on November the eight is that I would be open to give any advice he needs and that I want to be helpful in the transition wherever I can. Keep in mind that any former presidential candidate has not just friends in Washington [laughther goes through the room] , and nevertheless, the president-elect has decided to stick with me anyway. I appreciate that very much and will work hard to earn the trust of the senate, the American people and - later on - foreign leaders to advance the American cause.

REPORTER II: My question goes to President-elect Rockefeller: Sir, although Mr. Nixon has been cleared of any missdoings in the 1968 election, don't you find the nomination poses a risk for your incoming administration? I am referring to the Chennault case, of course. It is not hard to imigine that any new administration has more important tasks to do rather than to fight for senate confirmation of the Secretary of State candidate? Or what is your stance on that, Sir?

PRESIDENT-ELECT ROCKEFELLER: No, I don't regard this as a problem. As you said, Dick has been cleared of any charges and missbehavior. It may have been a mistake to employ certain individuals in retrospect, but we all do mistakes. Don't expect me to be a perfect president. I won't be one and never said I would be. Nobody ever will. The job of the senate members in this process is to evaluate, independently, whether Richard Milhous Nixon is fit to serve as Secretary of State. Whether he has the knowledge, the compassion and the competence to be America's voice in the world and lead the State Department bureuacracy effectively. I have the believe that he is uniquely qualified to take over this job. I expect the senate to approve the nomination very quickly after the inauguration, as Dick will soon meet with senators for direct conversations. He will be avaiable for any questions to our senators.

REPORTER III: I have one more question for Mr. Nixon. Mr. Nixon, how do you regard your role in the administration if confirmed? What do you stand for?

RICHARD NIXON: My role will be to implement President-elect Rockefeller's policies and advise him on all questions on foreign affairs. I want to make sure that America stands for freedom and democracy in the world and be a champion for peace. I look forward to continue talks with our allies in particular, Moscow, Beijing and others as well. We want partnership and stability with everyone. But not at any price, we are also determined to fight for our cause where necessary. Thank you.

PRESIDENT-ELECT ROCKEFELLER: Thank you guys. Have a nice day.

Mixed reactions

Congressional Republicans mainly praised Richard Nixon's selection as Secretary of State, though the conservatives hoped for Ronald Reagan's nomination. Incoming Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey said he has some questions for Richard Nixon on a wide range of issues, including his "integrity to serve". However, he emphasized to be open-minded and is scheduled to meet with Nixon in person on January 2. Pacifist Senator George McGovern (D-SD) already said he would vote against Nixon's confirmation. Immediately after, Attorney General nominee Spiro Agnew already stroke back when he accused McGovern of "ideological obstructionism."

The U.S. press was divided on the nomination. The Washington Post titled that "Tricky Dick is back on stage" and described his nomination as "risky", while others pointed out that Richard Nixon had a lot of credentials on foreign policy. It was also noted that with Nixon, Romney, Kissinger and Scranton in charge of foreign policy, the administration was expected to speak with one voice. The Chicago Tribune wrote: "Richard Nixon will not just be a stronger Secretary of State than Ronald Reagan because he has far more foreign policy expertise, but also because every foreign leader can be certain that he speaks for President Rockefeller. With Reagan, that would have been questionable, since both stand for very different policy approaches. That would have weakened his [Reagan's] position. Dick Nixon is more in line with the detente policy on one hand, and on the other hand he can't be accused for being weak on communism either. His nomination may be a little controversial given his past, but overall he is a very bold and strong choice."

The international press was mainly positive, pointing out that Nixon not just stands for some continuity, but that he is also a rational and professional choice.

Insiders: Reagan not picked for differences on Latin America

It didn't take long for reports to come out why Ronald Reagan was snubbed, after indications strongly pointed in the direction that he would be picked over the last few days. On December 31, the New York Times wrote that not detente in general, military spending or Vietnam are responsible for the decision to chose Nixon. It was Latin America policy. President-elect Rockefeller, who is very interested in the region since he served as Latin America coordinator under President Franklin Roosevelt, is committed to be actively engaged in Middle America. He favors negotiations to give the Panama Canal back to Panama. President Johnson already indicated this was a serious option after a diplomatic crisis in early 1964. Since then, a majority of Democrats and moderate/liberal Republicans are in favor of such negotiations, while conservatives like Barry Goldwater strongly oppose such a move. They regard it as a "give-away", pointing out that United States built and paid for the important waterway. Accordingly, President-elect Rockefeller decided to offer the nomination to someone supportive of the negotiations. Finding that Richard Nixon has similar views on foreign policy and his deep interest in world affairs ultimately brought him the job. Nixon was also very loyal to Rocky on the campaign trail and the key player in securing the Republican nomination on the convention floor. Out of office since 1961 and following two unsuccessful bids for the White House, the nomination was a perfect opportunity for Nixon to get back on stage. Nelson Rockefeller for his part seemed ready to take the risk that the nomination might pose on Capitol Hill. Nevertheless, political observers are quite confident that Nixon will win confirmation easily with few more nay-votes than usual.

January 3, 1973: 93rd Congress convenes, certifies electoral college results and elects three new leaders

Congressman John Jacob Rhodes of Arizona has been elected House Republican Leader to replace Vice President-elect Gerald Ford

On Wednesday, January 3, the 93rd Congress assembled for the first time. The first action was confirm the electoral college results from the November presidential election that were sent to Washington after the members of the Electoral College from each state cast their ballots in December. Outgoing Vice President Robert Kennedy, in his role as senate president, had the "painful duty" to certify and announce the final results. There were no unfaithful electors on either side and the Rockefeller/Ford ticket was now formally elected with 275 electoral votes.

On both sides, new leaders also had to be elected. The Democrats chose Hubert Humphrey as Senate Majority Leader to succeed Mike Mansfield with only one vote against. In the House, Democrats also had to pick a new Majority Leader after the death of Hale Boggs in the previous fall. The post went to Tip O'Neill from Massachusetts, who would be the second most powerful Democrat in the House after Speaker Carl Albert of Oklahoma. The House Republicans elected John Jacob Rhodes of Arizona to replace Vice President-elect Gerald Ford, who resigned his seat the next day, as their leader.

Congressional Leadership:
Senate President: Robert F. Kennedy (D-NY) (until January 20, 1973), Gerald R. Ford (R-MI) (starting January 20, 1973)
Senate Majority Leader: Hubert H. Humphrey (D-MN)
Senate Minority Leader: Hugh Scott (R-PA)

Speaker of the House: Carl Albert (D-OK)
House Majority Leader: Tip O?Neill (D-MA) (replacing deceased Hale Boggs)
House Minority Leader: Gerald R. Ford (R-MI) (until January 4, 1973), John Jacob Rhodes (R-AZ) (starting January 5, 1973)

NEXT: Completion of the Rockefeller Administration and President Lyndon Johnson's farewell address. Stay tuned!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #217 on: March 03, 2018, 08:20:15 AM »

Nixon ‘80.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #218 on: March 04, 2018, 05:25:54 AM »

January 6, 1973: President Johnson issues hundreds of pardons; grants clemency to Haldeman and Ehrlichman, expels Chennault

On January 6, 1973, President Lyndon B. Johnson signed hundreds of pardons as one of his last acts in office. He granted clemency to a selected group of draft dodgers (an issue that is still unsolved overall), non-violent drug offenders in the U.S. Army and other individuals imprisoned for misbehavior in public offices.

Former Nixon campaign aides H.R. Haldeman and John Ehrlichman were found guilty of attempting to sabotage the Vietnam peace talks in 1970 and subsequently went to prison. Co-conspirator and contactperson to the South Vietnamese government Anna Chennault was also sentenced to prison. President Lyndon Johnson now decided to grant an executive pardon that allows Haldeman and Ehrlichman to be released from prison by April this year. Chennault was also pardoned but is, under the president's order, required to leave the United States within 60 days after release.

January 9, 1973: President-elect Rockefeller keeps Joseph Barr as Treasury Secretary

Secretary of the Treasury Joseph Barr has accepted Nelson Rockefeller's offer to stay in office. He served under LBJ since late 1968.

President-elect Rockefeller's choice for the Treasury Department was hardly forseeable. When asked on New Year's Day, he joked about naming his brother David, the Manhattan Investment Banker, but a 1967 law prohibits presidents from appointing family members into the cabinet (as President Kennedy did by giving the Justice Department to Bobby Kennedy). On January 9, the president-elect's office confirmed that incumbent Treasury Secretary Joseph W. Barr would retain his post. Barr, a Democrat, has served under President Lyndon Johnson since December 1968.

January 12, 1973: Final cabinet appointment: progressive Southern Democrat chosen for HUD

Nobody saw this coming: Former Atlanta Mayor, businessman and civil rights advocate Ivan Allen Jr., a progressive Democrat, is Rocky's choice for HUD Secretary.

January 12, eight days before the inauguration, saw the completion of the Rockefeller cabinet. The Housing and Urban Development Secretary was the last cabinet position that had to be filled. And it was a huge surprise: Former Atlanta Mayor, businessman and civil-rights activist Ivan Allen Jr. has been selected to become President Rockefeller's Secretary of Housing and Urban Development. Upon the annoucement event Nelson Rockefeller remarked: "I have determined that Mr. Allen is the very best choice for the HUD Department. He has a tremendous record on civil rights and is familiar with urban development and urban problems. With his experience in local government and business, Mayor Allen will oversee a federal housing program that I intend to implement as president. With his proud civil rights record, the mayor is uniquely qualified to oversee the implementation of fair housing legislation to make sure every American is able to participate in our society."

Allen's nomination was extremely well received among the liberal press and civil rights activists and underlined Rocky's commitment to civil rights. Allen, a progressive Southern Democrat, originally supported Bobby Kennedy in the 1972 election and is a passionate opponent of Lester Maddox (he also ran unsuccessfully for Georgia governor). Senate Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey spoke of an "excellent appointment" and even most congressional Republicans were supportive in public. Only a minor faction among the conservative Democrats were less joyful about the nomination. Allen thanked the president-elect for his confidence and said he would be delighted to work across the aisle to bring about positive changes for urban areas in America.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #219 on: March 08, 2018, 03:39:16 PM »

President Lyndon B. Johnson’s Farewell Address; January 14, 1973

Six days before his term would expire, President Lyndon B. Johnson gave his Farewell Address to America and the world. Originally scheduled as a live televised appearance from the Oval Office, LBJ in the last minute decided to give a speech before a larger audience. As civil rights was a defining issue of his presidency, several civil-rights leaders were participated to the event.

The president was welcomed by a cheering crowd when he entered the stage.

PRESIDENT JOHNSON: Ladies and Gentlemen, distinguished guests and my fellow Americans: Tonight, for the final time I directly speak to you as your president. I want to use this opportunity to talk about challenges and opportunities – and about the commitments that all of us have made together that will, if we carry them out, give America our best chance to achieve the kind of great society that we all want. In the past twelve years, we have made unimaginable progress on many fields. We made gigantic steps toward more justice for all Americans, protected civil and voting rights, lifted millions out of poverty, landed a man on the moon and made the world more safe with a comprehensive disarmament treaty. […]

Unfortunately, with one administration leaving, not all problems are gone that this very administration intended to fix. We still have a lot to do. First, we have to make sure that every American has access to quality healthcare. Healthcare must be a right for all, not a privilege of the few. We came much closer to this goal with the two major pieces of legislation I signed into law in 1965 and 1969. And I am really proud of it. But this fight must go on and never stop, never rest, before we have achieved it. And, I am sure, it will go on, because I believe in you. Second, we have to make sure that any discrimination because of race, age, sex or background is not just eliminated in statute books. It also needs an effort by the civic society across America to end hatred and intolerance and give everyone the chance to live in economic and social safety. We must learn to love each other like brothers and sisters. As the great late Abraham Lincoln once said, a house divided against itsself cannot stand. But remember, politicans alone are unable to reslove this issue and law can only provide the framework for a peaceful America. Real change has to start in our hearts and minds. Third, we have to continue to be an active player at the world stage and stand for peace, freedom and democracy. At the forefront of this effort have to be negotiations with all nations in the world, including advisories, to make our world a more safe one. […]

The greatest disappointment has been the war in Vietnam. Although we have been successful in preserving South Vietnam’s sovereignty and reached a peace agreement, America will never forget than thousands of its brave sons and daughters who were fallen in this conflict. We ought never to forget their sacrifice and the loss of their loved-ones. Their love of country will live on forever in America’s heart. As will Doctor King, who paid the ultimate price for his commitment. America will always be grateful to these warriors for good and their sacrafice is and will always remain inspiration for all of us and the generations to come.

Nevertheless, after nine years in the Oval Office, I can gladly report that, despite all challenges, America is in better shape than we found it. Late President Kennedy challenged Americans to explore new frontiers when he assumed office twelve years ago. After the sorrow and turmoil following his tragic death, I asked the American people to give me their trust and confidence. “Let us continue”, I urged. And we did continue. I am proud of all that we have achieved together. Therefore, I want to use this opportunity once more to thank all who contributed to our success. First, the two outstanding men who served as vice president during my administration. Hubert Humphrey and Bobby Kennedy. Two of our very finest. I am very grateful for the opportunity I had to work with them. Let me also thank the congress, the cabinet and the White House staff for their service to our nation and our cause. Without their efforts, we could not have been as successful as we were. Being your president for nearly a decade has been the honor of life and I shall never forget all the millions who trusted, and sometimes criticized me – for good or worse. Now, that this amazing period is coming to a close, Lady Bird and I will return to the place we proudly call home: Texas Hill Country. But be assured that I shall be available for any advice or and task my fellow countrymen ask for. I also shall be outspoken in the issues I care about: justice, fighting poverty and civil rights.

For America, a new chapter is to begin in just six days. New leaders are called on duty to meet both current and new challenges. Crisis will emerge when we feel safe the most and test our leadership and determination. But in the end, all these challenges will make us stronger and give Americans reason to believe in ourselves and our strengths, that we can meet any challenge. As we have done in all of our proud history. For this new challenges, I wish Nelson Rockefeller and his team all the best that he will be successful in leading America. And I hope you give him your trust and confidence as well, because only then he will succeed and elevate this great nation of ours to higher grounds.

Thank you all again, God bless you and God bless the United States of America!

[Standing ovations, applause]

The president's farewell address was received well among the press and Americans in general. A final Gallup survey, released on January 15, gave President Johnson a 63% approval rating. A number he last reached in 1966. The fact that LBJ invited several civil rights leaders was seen as a sign that he plans to be engaged in the civil rights struggle as Vice President Kennedy just said he would do. However, the main priority for the 36th president is going to be the construction of a presidential library in Texas that is soon to begin.

January 16, 1973: Nelson Rockefeller formally resigns as Governor of New York, Malcolm Wilson sworn in

Malcolm Wilson (r) takes the oath of office as 50th Governor of New York, as President-elect Nelson Rockefeller, who resigned from the post, looks on

Four days before his inauguration as president, Nelson Rockefeller formally resigned the New York governorship, a post he held and shaped since 1959. Lieutenant Governor and Rockefeller protege Malcolm Wilson was subsequently sworn in as chief executive of the Empire State. He would serve out the ongoing term to January 1, 1975, with the prospect for reelection to full four year term in November 1974. As long as Wilson would be in the governor's chair of the second largest U.S. state in terms of population, he would be a reliable ally for the Rockefeller White House.

January 19, 1973: Final preparations for the inauguration

The Inaugural Committee
requests the honor of your presence
to attend and participate in the Inauguration of

Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller
as President of the United States of America

and

Gerald Rudolph Ford
as Vice President of the United States of America

on Saturday, the twentieth of January
one thousand nine hundred and seventy-three
in the City of Washington

Jacob K. Javits,
Chairman
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #220 on: March 09, 2018, 03:33:23 AM »

LOL at Nixon being picked. Imagine a '80 race between Nixon and RFK.

The other appointees are mostly fine. Never heard of Allen before, but seems to a fine dude.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #221 on: March 10, 2018, 06:54:27 AM »
« Edited: March 12, 2018, 03:33:56 PM by President Johnson »

Chapter 3: ROCKY’S AMERICA –
The presidency of Nelson Rockefeller

January 20, 1973

The Inauguration of President Nelson Rockefeller

January 20, 1973 would be the greatest day in Nelson Rockefeller’s life. He was finally at his ultimate destination: The presidency.

It was a clear January morning in Washington DC, when President Lyndon B. Johnson and his wife Lady Bird welcomed President-elect Nelson Rockefeller and incoming First Lady Happy to the White House for a cup of coffee. At 11 a.m., the two presidents and their families were escorted to the eastern portico of the United States Capitol. Vice President Robert Kennedy and Vice President-elect Gerald Ford followed them.

Like in 1969, Associate Justice Thurgood Marshall, the first black at the nation’s highest court, swore in the vice president. At 11.50 a.m., Gerald R. Ford took the oath of office as the 40th Vice President of the United States.

I, Gerald Rudolph Ford, do solemnly swear
that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States
against all enemies, foreign and domestic;
that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same;
that I take this obligation freely,
without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion;
and that I will well and faithfully discharge
the duties of the office on which I am about to enter.
So help me God.

A big applause took place after Gerald Ford, who seemed deeply moved, was sworn-in.

At 11.59 a.m., Nelson Rockefeller raised his right hand to repeat the presidential oath of office administered by Chief Justice Homer Thornberry.

I, Nelson Aldrich Rockefeller, do solemnly swear
that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States,
and will to the best of my Ability,
preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States.
So help me God.

Right afterwards, the Marine Corps Band played hail to the chief and salute shots were fired in front of the Capitol. Nelson Rockefeller, with proud smile in his face, was now the 37th President of the United States.

As the crowd of over 750,000 cheered and applauded, the new president turned to the podium to deliver his inauguration speech.

PRESIDENT ROCKEFELLER: Chief Justice Thornberry, Vice President Ford, President Johnson, Vice President Kennedy, Senator Javits, Associate Justice Marshall, my fellow Americans and members of world community: As I stand here before you today, I feel a deep sense of humility and gratitude for the American people, who gave me the opportunity to serve for them for tthe years to come, beholden only to the constitution and laws the United States and god.

Today we are assembled here, with millions watching all over the world, to celebrate the peaceful transition of power. It has been a proud American tradition for almost two centuries when executive power is transferred from one president to his successor, who has been elected in free, due to fair elections. It is this shining example that makes America a very special country. But is more than just the transfer of powers, it also a moment of resolve and humility, as we are coming together as one nation, under god, to celebrate our democracy. I personally want to use this opportunity to thank President Johnson for his outstanding service to America in all over his unique career. I also once more want to thank Vice President Kennedy for his commitment to improve life conditions for all Americans. Thank you all.

My fellow countrymen, this is a special moment in history as we will soon celebrate our bicentennial. I am deeply honored to have to opportunity to guide this great nation into the third century of its existence. For us, it is now time to think about a vision for the third century of this great American experiment. My vision is inbounded in three headlines: First, prosperity. I want to work to improve life conditions of all Americans, so that none has to live in poverty. Every men and women must have the opportunity to use his or her potential for a decent job and the pursued of happiness. We also have to make sure that his prosperity is not just beneficial on a short term basis. I will soon submit to the congress, the people’s elected representatives, detailed plans for more economic growth and a fair tax system. I look forward to work with the congress, on all major issues, in a spirit of mutual understanding and commitment to improve the lives of our fellow Americans.

Second is freedom. But that means more than just these basic values enacted in our bill of rights. It means that we ensure all Americans have the same chances and the right to grow up, live and work in a world free of discrimination because of skin color or gender. Let America be the shining example how people of different backgrounds live together peacefully. Let us also be an example when it comes to protecting our enivironment. Living in freedom also means to live free from excessive pollution. Let us do more to protect the wondeful rivers, lakes, forests, deserts, monatains and plains we have. Give ourselves as well as our children and grandchildren the opportunity to breathe clean air and use clear water. Let us protect the natural beauties we are blessed with for the coming generations.

And the third headline is peace. Living in freedom also means, living in peace. That translates into a simple message to the world: America is committed, now more than ever, to a peaceful and stable world. We do not seek to conquer or dominate. Neither will we tolerate oppression in any form against allies of ours or other free countries. That means, we are open for productive and far-reaching talks with anyone. But it also means that will defend our values and our friends at any price. America stood not by when Pearl Harbor was attacked and a dictator tried to conquer and enslave the European continent. America stood not by when another dictator tried to conquer the Korean peninsula or when a sovereign country in South East Asia was attacked. America, under presidents of both parties, acted. And it will act under my leadership as well. I look forward to present a detailed foreign policy to the congress and the American people in the months to follow.

These three headlines contain a lot of challenges alone. And more, often hardly foreseeable, are to come. But Americans have traditionally responded to challenges with optimism and courage. That gives me great confidence that we can meet any challenge and withstand any force from the inside or the outside trying to undermine or divide us. I have great faith in the American people that we will enter this third century of our nation’s proud history stronger than ever before. At peace with itsself, its neighbors and the world, focused on real issues to deal with problems with a pragmatic appoach. For this great vision, I ask for your trust and confidence. And I ask each and every one of you to join me in this effort to make this land the one I used to be: A beacon of hope and liberty. Thank you very much, god bless you and god bless the United States of America.

[Applause]

President Nelson Rockefeller and Vice President Gerald Ford are heading to the Inauguration ball, as First Lady Happy Rockefeller looks on

The day was concluded with the traditional presidential ball in Washington. After the inauguration, former President Lyndon B. Johnson flew back to Texas, where he received a hero’s welcome, as did former Vice President Robert Kennedy, who returned to the Kennedy Family Home in Hyannis Port, Massachusetts for a while.

January 20, 1973 was a day of celebration and renewal. The next morning, the Rockefeller Administration was getting to work.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2018, 03:31:13 PM »
« Edited: March 17, 2018, 07:14:19 AM by President Johnson »

The first 100 days of the Rockefeller Administration

January 21, 1973: President Rockefeller signs first Executive Orders

President Nelson Rockefeller signs his first Executive Orders and a proclamation on his first day in office; January 21, 1973

In his first full day in office, President Nelson Rockefeller signed a number of executive orders laying the groundwork for some important policies of his administration:

- As promised during his campaign, the president issued an executive order to reduce his annual salary to a symbolic dollar. Nelson Rockefeller, who became the wealthiest president in history, wouldn’t take a pension either under the decree he now signed. Instead, he will donate the money for sick children.
- The president established a commission consisting members of congress, business and labor leaders as well as public employees to study waste and fraud in the federal government and finding solutions to save money. Under the order, Vice President Ford has been assigned to chair the commission.
- Another executive order created “The President’s Infrastructure Counsel” to work out detailed plans for a gigantic infrastructure package. The commission is headed by former New York senator Charles Goodell, who will coordinate his work with the White House and the incoming Transportation Secretary.
- The president also signed a proclamation to express his support for the passage of a Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. constitution. The proposed amendment is designed to guarantee equal rights for all citizens regardless of sex; it seeks to end the legal distinctions between men and women in terms of divorce, property, employment, and other matters.
- In addition, Nelson Rockefeller signed a presidential memorandum that reaffirmed the administration's support for South Vietnam in light of the upcoming second anniversary of the Paris Peace Accords.

January 22, 1973: Supreme Court landmark decision: Laws criminalizing abortions are unconstitutional

In a 8 : 1 decision, with Justice Byron White the only one against, the United States Supreme Court ruled that state laws criminalizing abortions are illegal. The Roe v. Wade ruling, although foreseeable with the court's liberal bench of judges, provoked conservative outrage nationwide. President Rockefeller expected this to happen and issued a brief written statement: “Since the question of abortions came up, I have opted the position, that government should have no business in interfering the most private decisions of women and their families. While I believe there should be limits how long abortions are permitted, I oppose a general abortion ban.” Vice President Ford stated the issue should be decided by the states but identified himself, like the president, as “pro-choice”. Generally, the White House tried to steer public attention away from the ruling and focus on the administration’s policies.

January 25, 1973: President Rockefeller to address congress and nation on February 22

As the White House just confirmed, President Nelson Rockefeller is scheduled to address a joint session of congress on February 22 to outline his policies. This is a substitute for the annual State of Union Address that is usually skipped in inauguration years.

January 29, 1973: Richard Nixon confirmed as Secretary of State following tenacious hearings

Richard Nixon is finally back: After several hours of interviews, the senate confirmed his nomination as Secretary of State

A combined of 19 hours took the hearings by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for the Secretary of State nominee. Richard Nixon had to answer several questions on a broad range of political and personal issues. Democratic senators devoted a lot of time for questions on the Chennault Case and the involvement of Nixon campaign aides in the 1968 peace talks. Nixon vehemently denied to have ordered or even tolerated illegal actions by his campaign staffers. He also pointed to a 1969 FBI Report finding no evidence for his personal misbehavior. Ultimately, Nixon demonstrated his patience during the hearings and gave skillful answers what then led Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey to allow a floor vote on January 29. The upper house of congress confirmed the two-time Republican nominee with 77 senators in favor, and 22 against. All nay votes came from the Democratic caucus, among them notable senators like George McGovern (D-SD) and Edmund Muskie (D-ME). Pacifist Republican senator Mark Hatfield (R-OR) abstained, saying he couldn’t vote in favor but would not vote nay because of his sympathy for President Rockefeller. On the evening of January 29, at a small White House ceremony, Richard Nixon was sworn in as America’s new Secretary of State by Vice President Gerald Ford.

January 30, 1973: Cabinet confirmations complete

The White House Cabinet Room, still with the decor of the Johnson Administration

That went through very quickly: It took ten days until the confirmation process of Nelson Rockefeller’s cabinet secretaries was complete. The senate approved all nominees of newly sworn in president. The first level appointees are now all at their respective posts and the Rockefeller Administration can function under regular order.

These are the results:

- Richard Nixon confirmed as Secretary of State: 77 aye, 22 nay
- Spiro Agnew confirmed as Attorney General: 84 aye, 15 nay
- George Romney confirmed as Secretary of Defense: 92 aye, 8 nay
- William Scranton confirmed as U.N. Ambassador: 95 aye, 3 nay
- John Connally confirmed as Secretary of Commerce: 87 aye, 13 nay
- Margaret Chase Smith confirmed as Secretary of Health and Human Services: 98 aye, 1 nay
- Thomas Kuchel confirmed as Secretary of Labor: 94 aye, 4 nay
- John Arthur Love confirmed as Secretary of the Interior: 97 aye, 2 nay
- Walter Peterson confirmed as Secretary of Transportation: 100 aye
- John Anderson confirmed as Secretary of Agriculture: 95 aye, 3 nay
- Ivan Allen confirmed as Secretary of Housing and Urban Development: 83 aye, 15 nay

* Treasury Secretary Joseph Barr did not need renewed senate approval, as he already served in the Johnson Administration since 1968. White House Chief of Staff John B. Anderson and National Security Advisor Henry Kissinger aren’t required senate confirmation, as they are directly working for the president.

The Rockefeller Administration
(as of January 1973)

- President: Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY)
- Vice President: Gerald Ford (R-MI)

- Secretary of State: Richard Nixon (R-CA)
- Attorney General: Spiro Agnew (R-MD)
- Secretary of Defense: George Romney (R-MI)
- Secretary of the Treasury: Joseph W. Barr (D-IN)
- Secretary of Commerce: John Connally (R-TX)
- Secretary of the Interior: John Arthur Love (R-CO)
- Secretary of HUD: Ivan Allen Jr. (D-GA)
- Secretary of HHS: Margaret Chase-Smith (R-ME)
- Secretary of Agriculture: John Anderson (R-KS)
- Secretary of Labor: Thomas Kuchel (R-CA)
- Secretary of Transportation: Walter R. Peterson Jr. (R-NH)
- U.N. Ambassador: William Scranton (R-PA)

- White House Chief of Staff: John B. Anderson (R-IL)
- National Security Advisor: Henry Kissinger (R-DC)

January 31, 1973: First post-inauguration poll

As usual, newly sworn-in presidents start off their term with a pretty strong approval rating, known as "honeymoon". President Nelson Rockefeller enjoys such honeymoon, as he gets strong support from his fellow countrymen during the first days in office with polls showing that almost eight in ten Americans approve his job performance. It remains to be seen how long that lasts.

President Rockefeller job approval
Approve: 77%
Disapprove: 18%
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: March 17, 2018, 07:54:40 AM »

February 2 ? 7, 1973: President Rockefeller?s first foreign trip

President Nelson Rockefeller and First Lady Happy Rockefeller, surrounded by reporters, visit the Brandenburg Gate in West Berlin; February 6, 1973

Just announced the day before, President Nelson Rockefeller departed from Washington for a five day trip abroad. The early departure for meetings with world leader underlines the importance of foreign policy in the Rockefeller Administration. The president, who has long been interested in Latin America, begun his trip in Mexico for political consultations, discussing a broad range of issues. Afterwards, Nelson Rockefeller made stops in Guatemala, Costa Rica and Panama, where he visited the canal zone. During his talks, the new head of state reaffirmed his support for negotiations to turn over the Panama Canal Zone to the small country. Insiders confirmed that President Rockefeller will soon a present new impulses for Latin America Policy to the nation and the world. On February 4, Air Force One flew to Europe. With stops in London, Paris, Rome and finally West Berlin, where the president met with important leaders. In Germany, he visited the Berlin Wall and spoke with Chancellor Brandt about d?tente. In a brief press conference, both leaders emphasized the need for closer cooperation on foreign policy towards the communist bloc.

While President Rockefeller returned home on February 7, Secretary of State Richard Nixon traveled to Asia, where he made stops in Vietnam, Thailand and Japan. On his way back home, Nixon also toured Europe and met a Soviet delegation in Geneva.

February 13, 1973: Secretary of State Nixon announces new negotiations with USSR

Following his first around-the-globe trip as Secretary of State, Richard Nixon announced a new round of negotiations with the USSR. The talks are scheduled to begin by summer 1973 and will consist not only a further reduction of conventional weapons, but also some elements of cooptation in other fields like a bilateral space mission. A year after President Johnson signed a historic treaty at Camp David, the new administration seeks to continue d?tente policies.

February 22, 1973

President Nelson Rockefeller?s Address to Congress

As announced in January, President Nelson Rockefeller was welcomed at Capitol Hill for a speech before a joint session of the congress. After a month in office, the new president went before lawmakers to outline his policies.

SPEAKER ALBERT: Ladies and Gentlemen, members of congress: It my high privilege and distinguished honor to present to you the President of the United States!

PRESIDENT ROCKEFELLER: Speaker Albert, Vice President Ford, members of the House and Senate, members of the cabinet, members of the judiciary and the diplomatic corps, distinguished guests and my fellow Americans: Thank you very much for the kind introduction. I am deeply grateful to stand before you today and, after one month in office, to make my policy suggestions for the months to come. I also want to thank you very much for the productive role the congress has played early in my administration. A special thanks goes to the senate for the quick and smooth confirmation of my cabinet. It is this spirit of cooperation and mutual respect to find pragmatic solutions I intend to keep with all of you. Thank you again. [Applause]

During the first four weeks of my presidency, I had the opportunity to talk with the citizens of our nation, with many of you, the elected representatives of the American people, business and labor leaders as well as other political activists who believe in the cause of America. These conversations, although sometimes of different opinions, gave me a greater sense of awareness of our challenges and problems. And an even greater understanding of our strengths, the lie in diversity, civility, decency and the firm believe in the United States of America. Today, I am here to present my suggestions for improving the lives of Americans, strengthen trust in government and promote world peace.

Let me begin with some domestic policy proposals. I am glad the House Speaker, my dear friend Carl Albert, has agreed to put the Equal Rights Amendment before the House floor. I urge each and everyone of you, including our senators, to pass this important amendment to our constitution. I feel it is a necessity to everything we can to eliminate discrimination wherever it exists. While this nation has made huge progress, despite much being left, on civil rights for our fellow black Americans, we also must tirelessly work to eliminate and discrimination of women. [Applause] I furthermore call for specific actions on a legislative basis such as a renewed equal-pay law. Where possible, I intend to use the executive powers of the presidency to ensure fair conditions. [Applause]

Ensuring fair conditions and a life in prosperity not just requires civil rights laws, it also requires good economic conditions. A functioning and modern infrastructure is a key to a strong economy and the road to prosperity. That is why I call upon the passage of a bold program to rebuild our roads, railways, airports and bridges. I am glad to inform you, that Secretary of Peterson and former Senator Goodell, who heads the president?s infrastructure counsel, will soon present a detailed plan to the public and lawmakers. Be assured that the congress will be involved and invited to contribute with own ideas for an even better solution.

Another factor to ensure a prospering America is preserving the natural beauties of our blessed land and to make sure, that every American breathes clean air and has access to clean water. Therefore, my administration already presented legislation for the creation for a national agency to coordinate these efforts. I want to thank Majority Leader Hubert Humphrey for his cooperation and the senate vote that took place yesterday. I hope the house can agree on this bill soon and send it to my desk for final approval. [Applause]

[?]

On the foreign policy front, I already had the opportunity to speak directly with members of the world community and head of state from our allies. In my discussions with West German Chancellor Willy Brandt, an outstanding man, we agreed to continue talks with the USSR to promote world peace. I look forward to fair negotiations on a wide range of issues. That includes a reduction of weapons. But I want to make it absolutely clear: America is, and will always remain, the greatest power in the world. There will be no doubt! Neither will there be any doubt that we stand to our commitments and defend ourselves and our friends. That includes South Vietnam. I will soon send a delegation that consists Democrats and Republicans to Saigon for further consultations. I want to thank Secretary Richard Nixon for his efforts during his world trip earlier that month.

[?]

Ladies and Gentlemen, despite all challenges, we have to unique opportunity to make America, on its way into the third century of its existence, a better place to live, work and prosper and a force for good in the world. Together, in the spirit of cooperation, let us go to work. Thank you very much.

February 28, 1973: New Gallup-poll

President Rockefeller continues to benefit from his honeymoon. His speech before congress was also well received by most Americans.

Approve: 75%
Disapprove: 19%

March 3, 1973: President Rockefeller signs Economic Opportunities Act of 1973

Immediately after taking office, President Rockefeller appointed a commission under the leadership of Oregon Senator Mark Hatfield, to review the so-called ?War on Poverty?, a collection of social programs, that was enacted during the Johnson Administration. The goal was to review the success or failure of certain elements and make suggestions of improvements. In a record time, Senator Hatfield and his bipartisan group, presented a first bill for improvements. The new law now passed reorganized the Head Start Program that was overall considered a success but had some failing elements. Under the new regulations, the program?s administration was turned over the HHS Department. Advanced teacher training was also implemented under the legislation, which is the most far-reaching amendment to the original Economic Opportunities Act of 1964.

March 15, 1973: President Rockefeller signs milestone Environmental Protection Act of 1973 into law

Deputy Attorney General William Ruckelhaus is President Rockefeller's nominee for administrator of the newly established EPA

A cornerstone of Nelson Rockefeller?s policies has always been the preservation of the environment. In his last year as governor, he spent more on the environment than the whole federal government. Although the issue was just a random topic in the 1972 presidential campaign, the administration quickly introduced legislation to establish a national agency to oversee and coordinate environmental policy. With wide support among Democrats, the bill, considered a milestone, passed congress and was signed into law by President Rockefeller on March 15, 1973. The same day, President Rockefeller announced that he would nominate Deputy Attorney General William Ruckelshaus as first administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Conservatives were not enthusiastic about the new law. Senator Barry Goldwater (R-AZ), who led the coalition against passage, said it would hurt business and increase federal bureaucracy.

March 31, 1973: Congress passes Equal Rights Amendment

Before the vote on the Equal Rights Amendment, demonstrators urged the congress to pass the measure. President Rockefeller supported their efforts

March 1973 was a very productive month at Capitol Hill: Following House passage of the Equal Rights Amendment, the senate now also passed the measure with the necessary two-thirds majority. President Rockefeller, who issued a proclamation to declare April ?Women?s equality month?, welcomed the passage and urged the states to ratify the amendment as fast as possible.

New Gallup-poll

Approve: 76%
Disapprove: 19%

April 3, 1973: President Rockefeller announces tougher anti-drug policies

During a speech on April 3, President Rockefeller announced a tougher stance on drug policy and a national campaign against drug use

Drugs were an issue that many Republicans, and even some Democrats, felt that was neglected in the last years as the Johnson Administration did not much about it. President Rockefeller, aware that conservatives wanted him not just to focus on liberal issues, announced during a speech his administration would ?forcefully? act on the drug problems with a two-point plan: First, more education. HHS Secretary Margaret Chase-Smith was directed to oversee a national anti-drug campaign to educate young people about devastating consequences of drug use. The congress, following negotiations led by Vice President Ford, approved a 50 million dollar budget for the program. Second, a tough law-and-order policy: The president emphasized the need for a ?zero tolerance policy?. He urged states and municipalities to implement such policies and announced he would do so in the military.

Attorney General Agnew sharply attacks press after Rockefeller announcement

Attorney General Spiro Agnew attacked the press for their response to President Rockefeller's speech on drugs

Although President Rockefeller?s speech on drugs received some media attention, most papers didn?t make it first-page headlines. Some editorials even criticized the tough law and order policy, warning of negative consequences like overcrowded prisons. Attorney General Agnew, who was a stanch anti-drugs advocate, used the opportunity for national attention. On April 6, he sharply criticized the press during a speech: ?A small group of so-called experts in newspaper offices and self-appointed experts, willing to impose their out-of-touch views on the American people, criticized the president for making a tough stance of the epidemic of drugs. This is not just dangerous, it also demonstrates the lack of awareness of major problem. Furthermore, I find it troubling when certain newspapers try to play down the importance of this issue by making it third-rate article?. Conservatives and even some Democrats publically supported the attorney general in his assessment, while liberals and newspapers accused Agnew of ?self-promotion?. Senator George McGovern (D-SD) said Agnew was "the worst A.G. of my lifetime."
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: March 17, 2018, 03:33:13 PM »

I like how Agnew and McGovern are the attack dogs of both sides Tongue Also, other than the drug thing, I like the Rockfeller Administration so far! Hopefully they educate themselves about the harmlessness of marijuana, but oh well, I guess that's an issue for years later.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 35  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies