The liberal Republic (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:34:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107777 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« on: August 22, 2017, 02:15:22 PM »

Interesting timeline. Well written! I'm curious how the 1968 election turns out and what then happens. Maybe no Watergate?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 09:40:46 AM »

I would actually prefer a Johnson/Kennedy ticket to a Johnson/Humphrey ticket. But would have been difficult because of the LBJ/RFK personal dislike for each other. But may be they team up in this TL.

Where did you get the signs from?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:42:19 AM »

Agreed.

Nixon would probably have been toast with that news out before election day.

Johnson 1968! Kennedy 1972!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 05:20:43 PM »

This timeline has emerged as one of my favorites, too.

I always wondered why Johnson in real life didn't use the Chennault thing to hurt Nixon in the election. He definitely knew about it before through wiretapping.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 03:58:14 AM »

I enjoy reading this awesome TL! Keep it up.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:28:26 AM »

I doubt Kissinger would have worked for the Johnson White House. But great to see that there is more happening on healthcare.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 08:51:21 AM »

Terrific updates! I wonder when the Vietnam War is over.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 03:39:39 AM »

LOL at that TL. No comparison with that one here.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »

Terrific updates! Is George Romney still governor of MI then?
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 09:45:02 AM »

Great updates! I liked how RFK handled his brief acting presidency. Pentagon Papers are also interesting.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »

Terrific updates! Having watched some Reagan speeches, his announcement reads very authentic. Now go RFK!

LOL at General Wastemoremen Tongue
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »
« Edited: December 05, 2017, 09:39:00 AM by Sir Mohamed »

Love this TL! Go RFK!

Curious to see what happens with Wallace and General Wastemoremen... Edward Brooke would be an interesting VP for either candidate on the GOP side.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 03:20:45 AM »

I'm excited about this TL! Keep it going! Looking forward to a Rockefeller versus Kennedy race. I'd favor RFK, but would be fine with Rockefeller as well.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 10:38:11 AM »

LOL at Maddox. I predict he will underperform Wallace ’68 in real life, though he may force an EC deadlock. In the end, I think RFK wins narrowly by carrying NY and GA with very close margins.

I'm curious to see a Carter/Ford VP debate.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 03:27:24 AM »

Very well written! It was fun how RFK had his there you go again moment in the first debate.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 10:16:04 AM »

I (also) expect Rockefeller to pull this off and would have been fine with it, had I been alive. Though I'd support RFK with enthusiasm. Go RFK!
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2018, 10:44:04 AM »

Fine updates! Both Rockefeller and RFK delivered very classy speeches after the election. Although RFK was my choice, Rockefeller would have my support as prez. So far mostly good appointments, except for the dude who later turned to be corrupt.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 03:33:23 AM »

LOL at Nixon being picked. Imagine a '80 race between Nixon and RFK.

The other appointees are mostly fine. Never heard of Allen before, but seems to a fine dude.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2018, 08:54:04 AM »

Nice updates. Rockefeller is doing a good job except for the horrible drug policy.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2018, 09:08:58 AM »

In this timeline where Nixon becomes Sec. of State in ‘72, does he ever become Governor in 62 for California? I am too lazy to go read through all 10 pages

No, everything up to 1968 remains the same, but LBJ runs for another term and defeats Nixon with RFK, who survived the assassination attempt, as his running mate. In 1972, Nelson Rockefeller was elected president following a tough battle with Ronald Reagan over the Republican nomination and a close win over Bobby Kennedy in the general.

Wow! The story is crazy so far. I predict Nixon running again - and winning

A third time, polling a William J. Bryan? Seems doubtful to me, especially since Rockefeller is a first termer now. I would hope for RFK to be elected in '80.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2018, 09:49:50 AM »

This was an awesome update! A couple of thoughts:

1. I'm glad the invasion was beaten so hard! However, looking at the current situation, it'd be interesting if Israel and the U.S. have the foresight to "hit the iron while it's hot" and return most of the West Bank to Jordan in exchange for a peace agreement (and at the same time returning Sinai to Egypt for peace), while retaining Jerusalem. By retaining the West Bank, we've basically created the Palestinian problem from today, a problem that has huge consequences like radicalizing the Israeli population to the right and creating major divides in our society. If I could change history, I'd just let Jordan handle this (while, again, retaining most of Jerusalem)- we'd be a much better country today, with a healthy political system where the left, center and right are relatively balanced.

2. The Arabs can't keep up their embargo. They'll be forced to sell oil to the U.S., and presumably the rest of the western world which Rocky would try to pressure into refusing to buy oil from these countries, because these are their biggest partners. The USSR produces its own oil for the most part, and China probably doesn't use that much yet, so it's a huge blow to Arabic and Persian oil producers. They'll have to bend.

Agreed. The United States could also have bought oil from Norway or, referring to the TL, South America, which has in fact large oil reserves. Rockefeller seems determined, and that's somewhat likely given his obvious Latin America passion, to improve relations. That may result into some trade agreements. Shipping ways are also much shorter.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 02:37:59 AM »

Nice updates! I read it this morning. Hopefully the Rockefeller Admin can get something done in the Middle East. Also would love to see RFK running and winning for gov and prez again in '80. Just a minor correction: His birthday is in November, not October Tongue
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 09:33:11 AM »

YEES! Bobby for gov in '74 and prez in '80! I enjoy Agnew, too. Would be funny if the dude once more runs and ends up as GOP nominee. But I predict he'll go down with a corruption scandal.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2018, 08:38:30 AM »

Yeeeees! Governor Kennedy! Hope Brown makes it as well.

Curious to see how it goes on, especially in 1976. I'd probably vote for Rockefeller this time around, but Dem down-ballot.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2018, 09:54:39 AM »

Yes, Brown did it! Hope Democrats can negotiate a tax raise on the wealthy on return for middle class tax breaks. Also hope Agnew is gone soon. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies