The liberal Republic (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:14:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The liberal Republic (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The liberal Republic  (Read 107545 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 15, 2017, 11:35:21 AM »

Why is Johnson watching the launch with a lowly Governor of Maryland? Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »

I don't believe Brooke was the first black Senator--the South had some during Reconstruction as I recall, no?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:49:46 PM »

Go Agnew!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 08:23:40 AM »

Lol, you somehow still got part of the campaign to be Ford v Carter.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 07:22:28 PM »

If I had to guess, California seems like the place to go more to Rockefeller (seeing as it was a more-often-than-not Republican state in those days), though I can see the Schmitz/John Birch types in Southern California detracting from crucial otherwise-Republican votes. In either case, I have no dog in this fight; if I know President Johnson (the poster), it'll be a Rockefeller win--particularly since the alternative is a resurgent conservatism that kinda sorta gets in the way of the title of this piece.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 12:21:06 PM »

I'll be honest, the Agnew and (Bayard) Anderson picks seem strange to me--Treasury seems like the type of thing to generally be the province of former federal reserve leaders or whose who work in finance. I would assume that a New York loyalist would, meanwhile, be leading the Rockefeller White House. I believe Agnew's experience makes him more of an Attorney General type of candidate--he has legal credentials and would help to round out Rockefeller's "law and order" stance. In such a position, I could see him as being a sort of comic attack dog for the administration, helping to draw heat for more conservative policies while at the same time earning the adoration of "silent majority" types.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 08:20:15 AM »

Nixon ‘80.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2018, 09:04:54 AM »

Loving the Agnew/McGovern feud. Despite the fact that I have a feeling this isn't the direction of the timeline, it'd be great to see this elevate McGovern's stature, leading to a landslide loss to Rockefeller in '76, just in time for a conservative Democrat (Askew!?) to beat Ford in 1980. Smiley Also, I think it's interesting that it appears Rockefeller is moving to the right on Latin America even after rejecting Reagan as State Secretary over such a policy difference. I hope Agnew can survive the year!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 04:44:35 PM »

Love your inclusion of Brezhnev’s signature. The Russian “L” sure is uninspiring. Tongue
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2018, 12:24:40 PM »

Can you list the supporters on each side of the leadership vote? I'd be interested to see how Hatfield gained a majority in the Republican caucus against Baker of all people.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 10:12:31 AM »

I dont think Nixon was that opposed to Reagan,

I believe in 1980 Reagan was his 2nd choice after Connally. Both Nixon and Reagan were prominent Californian Republican politicians and both made their careers originally due to support from the SoCal GOP Establishment and I also suspect that Nixon was just as conservative as Reagan it was just that Nixon career took place during the New Deal Era, while Reagan's took place after the end of the progressive era in California and Nationally and his lack of charisma that forced him to be more moderate than he actually was.

I recall Nixon disliking Reagan, though also possessing some respect or fear for him. 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2019, 06:59:47 AM »

“Under the Rockefeller-Ford Administration, America’s place in the world has declined, with the advance of tyranny throughout Latin America and the Middle East.” Predicting success for hawkish candidates.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2019, 03:00:46 PM »
« Edited: April 22, 2019, 03:03:52 PM by Cath »

I think Reagan would do better in NH than IA , remember in OTL he did much better in NH than IA both in 76 and 80. NH was a pretty conservative Republican state in those days .

I've modified these results a little now Tongue

POTUS Ford must've been off his game lately.... Reagan's getting the mojo & Ford wishes he had picked Reagan for VP.

I don't have the map memorized, but I think these are all states that Reagan won in the RL 1976 primaries, with the exception of perhaps Minnesota.

EDIT: I checked, and it looks like TN is the only exception.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies