White Privilege (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:45:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  White Privilege (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: White Privilege  (Read 2348 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: September 15, 2016, 10:12:38 PM »

White Privilege doesn't exist. Class/Income privilege does

I don't know if I would say that it doesn't exist at all, but it is definitely not relevant or useful as a concept. One of the greatest (out of many, many) flaws of modern social justice discourse is to not only fixate on white privilege, but to treat it as the most fundamental form of privilege in modern society. When a rich black guy can talk about how he envies the privilege of white homeless people, something truly absurd is happening.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 04:41:34 PM »

in this thread: white people

When a rich black guy can talk about how he envies the privilege of white homeless people, something truly absurd is happening.

Absurdly, being rich is not sufficient to defend black people from police harassment!

I'm substantially in agreement with you on this issue in general, but, you know, nor is being white sufficient to defend homeless people from it.

Indeed, there are tons of factors in play. There are various reasons why someone would be harassed by the police. Conversely, there are various other ways in which people encounter difficulties. Oftentimes, X privilege is a red herring.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 03:48:42 PM »

in this thread: white people

When a rich black guy can talk about how he envies the privilege of white homeless people, something truly absurd is happening.

Absurdly, being rich is not sufficient to defend black people from police harassment!

I'm substantially in agreement with you on this issue in general, but, you know, nor is being white sufficient to defend homeless people from it.

Indeed, there are tons of factors in play. There are various reasons why someone would be harassed by the police. Conversely, there are various other ways in which people encounter difficulties. Oftentimes, X privilege is a red herring.

The concept of intersectionality was developed to discuss exactly this sort of issue, but, of course, that's not how most pop critical race theorists use it.

The development of a sort of intersectional pecking order has struck me as amusing. Such a development is to be expected in terms of how people interact, yet it's bizarre and counterproductive in terms of what social justice endeavors to be.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 03:51:29 PM »

Don't recall race relations being this bad during the Bush era.

Yeah, it seems that things have gotten a lot worse in the last few years. The quality of discourse has also continued to degrade, amazing that such a thing could be possible.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies