Portugal's politics and elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:22:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Portugal's politics and elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Portugal's politics and elections  (Read 255791 times)
palandio

« on: September 16, 2016, 04:44:13 AM »

[...]
2) Are there any weird features of Portuguese politics that make it unique (e.g. Weird voting system, a demographic group voting in a weird way etc.)
[...]
2) Actually no. In terms of demographics, portuguese politics is very uniform. What we do have is a clear North-South divide. The North and Center of the country are pretty much PSD territory, with some PS strongholds in the Porto area and Coimbra. The South is left wing country, in particular the Alentejo region, where the Communist Party is King and Master.
Maybe I'm a bit naïve here and this is a very "Atlasian" thing to think, but given the traditional political inclination of rural Andalusia and Extremadura, might support for left-wing parties in zones like the afore-mentioned and the Alentejo have the same historical roots? I.e. large latifundies and a mass of agricultural laborers, in contrast to an economic structure based more on small land-owners in the northern Iberian Penisula? And going back even further, aren't these (hypothetical) structural differences a result of the Reconquista? Or am I just making up wild theories here?
palandio

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2016, 07:38:11 AM »

Thank you for your response! I did not know how important land reform was after the revolution, so I learnt something new.
Regarding Reconquista and Arab influence my hypothesis was not a direct influence on today's voting patterns, but an indirect one through shaping the land property structure in the south.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies