Portugal's politics and elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 12:14:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Portugal's politics and elections (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Portugal's politics and elections  (Read 255649 times)
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« on: December 07, 2018, 06:17:29 PM »

Had no idea there was early voting here, but I only could vote for the first time in the last local elections and didn't look much into it because they are barely important in comparison to the legislative ones.

Also, I don't see any signs of a growing extreme-right movement either. We have very few refugees in comparison to other EU countries, salaries and pensions are being raised, etc. Assuming past trends hold, the far-right PNR should get only about 0,8% of the vote.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 06:14:12 PM »

Feels like I am watching Germany's SPD here, how low can one of the main centre establishment parties go? I don't even have any idea why people dislike Rui Rio so much, I wouldn't vote for him because of political ideology, but I can't see why long-time right wing voters would not either.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 07:34:21 PM »

Yes, it was kind of embarrassing to watch the news reports about the movement, specially given the contrast between what the media predicted could happen and the actual day of the manifestation. But should it really be such a surprise, when they simply co-opted the movement from France, without a clear message to back it up and the leader of the nationalist party joining the protests?
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 09:07:39 PM »

While the PSD is in a national party council, as we speak, that will decide the fate of Rio, here's an interesting chart that shows the various party strength on social media:

Sum of party followers on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram:

From here.

The fact that a new party with only 1 member in parliament has a bigger following on social media than one of the big two mainstream parties speaks volumes about the PS' youth strategy. Anyway, I'm not expecting Montenegro to succeed. If anything, the timing makes this look extremely opportunistic.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 09:57:56 AM »

I know increasing pensions and all those benefits has made the PS popular with older people, but why isn't the youth gravitating towards the left like in many other countries? My theory is that only with the rise of far-right movements does the rookie voting population swing to its most vocal opponents to counter it.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 03:23:46 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2019, 12:04:04 PM by Farmlands »

What in the world? Everything was good until this nonsensical flip by the right-wing parties just to create some chaos. It would all seem to work in favour of the PS, but Costa is threatening to resign instead of calling a new election where he would look like the reasonable hero! Just counterintuitive moves all around.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 09:36:19 AM »

Anectodal evidence disclaimer, but I will surely switch my vote from the Left Bloc to PS these legislative elctions after this crisis, if only because I think fiscal responsibility and general sanity should be rewarded, specially when it comes to a vulnerable country like Portugal.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 01:59:10 PM »

I guess in the European elections we got to see fallout of the teachers crisis for PSD, low turnout nonetheless. It's kind of ominous that there have only been PS victories since I became of voting age, the result of a constantly embattled rival party, there should always be a healthy opposition in my opinion.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2019, 07:35:05 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2019, 06:48:35 PM by Farmlands »

Well, Marcelo has 80+ approval ratings and can unite voters from all across the spectrum, including a pretty left leaning one like me. In any case, seems like Ventura's party might be the Portuguese far-right's future, still away though, and not PNR like I would've imagined.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 12:32:21 PM »

Pitagórica poll for JN/TSF radio:

Vote share %:

43.2% PS (+2.8 )
21.6% PSD (-0.9)
  9.2% BE (+1.0)
  6.8% CDU (+0.3)
  6.0% CDS (-0.1)
  3.6% PAN (nc)
  1.2% Alliance (-0.3)
  8.4% Others/Invalid (-2.7)

Poll conducted between 8 and 14 July 2019. Polled 800 voters. MoE of 3.54%.

I honestly doubt the difference will be that stark, bad leaders in the right or not. And polls like this are just making my decision of who to vote for even more difficult, not sure I want a PS absolute majority.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »

I think the support from BE/CDU may have perversely enabled PS to pursue a more right-wing course than they otherwise would have, by nullifying left-wing opposition both in parliament and the streets, in exchange for policies that often ended up hurting the most disadvantaged, such as the 35h for public workers resulting in a further decline of the already fragile public services, namely healthcare. It has been perplexing and even infuriating how some foreign media portray this government as some sort of progressive heroes.

From a left-wing point of view it might be best if at least PCP return to opposition in the next term.

You may be right on the nullification of most left-wing opposition, but this government is still what gave us a higher minimum wage, fairer habitation contracts, etc. which never would have mustered a conservative one. Reminds me of Blair's rule, which got support from nearly everyone, but alienated leftists as well.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 04:46:54 PM »

Why is BE doing so well? (Especially compared to CDU)

My take on it as a semi-regular BE voter: CDU's base, as many polls have shown, is largely old and rural, which is slowly dying off, and not bringing in any new young voters with their mix of old school communism and neutrality or conservatism on social issues.

Meanwhile, BE appeals to a growing urban and young audience who might care about LGBT equality or marijuana legalization or even healthcare nationalisation a bit more.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 03:09:49 PM »

Got closest to PAN. Too much of a one issue party for me though, helping the environment won't solve the rising rent prices many people have to deal with, for example. About the same distance from BE and PS, which coincidentally, are the two parties which I'm undecided between for the next election.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 03:23:32 PM »

This doesn't seem to have the makings of a major scandal to me, unlike Tancos. Now that seems to be hurting PS a lot and will probably benefit the smaller parties, given the D'Hondt method. Curious to see how a more diverse parliament would function and be covered by the media.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2019, 01:29:28 PM by Farmlands »

Just came back from the voting booth. Ultimately ended up going for the Left Bloc, based on the party leaders, since I couldn't decide otherwise. Let's see if I can get a close projection:

PS - 38% (S&D)
PSD - 28% (EPP)
BE - 11% (GUE)
CDU - 7% (GUE)
CDS - 5% (EPP)
PAN - 4% (EFA)
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 12:37:53 PM »

Rio criticised SIC's result projection last night, but his party still ended up in the range they had predicted for him, just in the upper range. I know it's business as usual for him, but it creates distrust in our fairly accurate media.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2019, 07:29:54 PM »

So "moderate" Sanchez is now espousing rhetoric and threats that could very well be coming out of the Chinese Communist Party instead. There is little hope for the Catalans, or anyone abroad who supports them. As for Joacine, let's say I'm not planning to cross Livre's box in an election any time soon anymore.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies