WV - Trump up 32% (60%-28%) in Garin-Hart-Yang Research Group Poll (500 LV) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:11:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  WV - Trump up 32% (60%-28%) in Garin-Hart-Yang Research Group Poll (500 LV) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WV - Trump up 32% (60%-28%) in Garin-Hart-Yang Research Group Poll (500 LV)  (Read 3913 times)
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« on: October 07, 2016, 04:29:41 PM »

Can't wait until this trash state is down to three electoral votes.

Seriously dude?
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2016, 04:37:22 PM »
« Edited: October 07, 2016, 04:42:40 PM by EpicHistory »

A smarter idea would be to keep telling them that coal's dead and help massively subsidize vocational/trade schools for those that want it to get them set up in other jobs and actually be able to do something else.

Except they've tried to do just that, and it's utterly failed. My Dad used to work for Joy Global, got laid off in February. Best job he could find to replace forced him to take an almost $10 paycut, even with the fact he has an associates. Same with my brother in law, who went from a well paying job checking local waters for mine run off to being forced to work for a cable company (He's got a bachelors). So please, do enlighten me as to how this is supposed to work, because just saying so doesn't form a coherent strategy. For the record millions has been put for former coal workers to get more education, the simple fact of the matter is that there aren't any quality jobs to replace coal and most lack the money to move elsewhere.

And for the record Red Avatars, do continue calling people like my father who's worked for 30 years in the coal industry and served 12 years in the Military "Hillbilly Trash". It's that elitism which has insured you won't win Appalachia anytime soon.
EpicHistory
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2016, 05:11:10 PM »

Coal is on its way out. Sure, it will stay here for decades but ultimately the opportunities will decrease as other energy sources take its place.

Not necessarily. Green energy is still a long ways off from being cost effective as is fusion, and I don't think I need to talk about peak oil and the challenges currently presented towards fraking.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Again, they've tried that and failed. As well, what other industries do you have in mind for Appalachia? Speaking as a person who lives here, outside of some industrial activities in a few cities already distressed, there aren't any other options for us. As for coal itself, here in the US alone we've got enough to maintain current demands for centuries. As far as pollutants, with the proper tech, you only have to worry about CO2.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies