Electoral College
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:19:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Electoral College
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Poll
Question: Which system do you prefer?
Current Electoral System

Nationwide Popular Vote

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 77

Author Topic: Electoral College  (Read 57308 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2004, 11:54:31 AM »

I don't like all groups of people. I don't like pure partisans- people who will agree with the parties no matter how they change. I don't like white southerners who often do not value education or religious tolerance.

Yes, Southerners dont value education. Fine schools such as Vanderbilt, University of Tennesse, University of Virginia, V.P.I., Citadel, VMI, U of Miami, U of Florida, Florida State and the list goes on and on. Ya us inbreed hick rednecks dont value edgeecatin our chillun. We have Churches, Synagogues all kinds of religions are in the south. Did you know that before the Civil War more Jews lived in the SOUTH then the North? Oh yeah but to you it's : "If day aint Christian lets git the white hoods and hangum." Just because a person doesn't go to college doesnt mean they are any less of a person compared to someone who did. I know plenty of people with no degree who have common sense and plenty who have a degree with NO common sense. If you can afford college, great! Go for it. If you can't and you have to work a blue collar job their is nothing wrong with that. Hard work doesnt equal ignorance.

Sorry for spouting folks. This kind of young ignorance Zachman displays aggravates me.

Well said.  Being a northeasterner myself, I would probably never vote for one for president.  I hate the arrogance that many people in this part of the country display toward the south.  I don't blame southerners for disliking us, with some of the comments I've seen.

It's funny how liberals are so critical of everybody else's prejudices, but make excuses for their own.

It's funny that you pretty much proved the point of the anti.North bias there. I haven't seen any Northeaterner here say that they wouldn't vote for a Southerner despite all their 'prejudice'.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2004, 12:04:28 PM »

Liberal northerners certainly wouldn't vote for a conservative southerner.  And conservative southerners wouldn't vote for a northern liberal.

That's not really bias -- it's voting against people who don't reflect your views.

But I have seen southerners vote for people from the region who don't reflect their views, and that could be considered an example of regional prejudice.  I think northerners would be less likely to do that.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2004, 12:12:32 PM »

Liberal northerners certainly wouldn't vote for a conservative southerner.  And conservative southerners wouldn't vote for a northern liberal.

That's not really bias -- it's voting against people who don't reflect your views.

But I have seen southerners vote for people from the region who don't reflect their views, and that could be considered an example of regional prejudice.  I think northerners would be less likely to do that.

Exactly, and I think that was the point, at least that's what a lot of people been saying here.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2004, 12:48:08 PM »

The GOP has never nominated a Southerner for President...
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2004, 12:56:27 PM »

Exactly, and I think that was the point, at least that's what a lot of people been saying here.

There's some truth to it, but many people here have been claiming that all the regional prejudice flows one way -- southerners against northerners -- while at the same time making blatantly prejudiced comments about southerners.

That is what I was arguing against.  I never suggested that there is no regional prejudice down south.  I know very well that there is.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2004, 01:06:32 PM »

The GOP has never nominated a Southerner for President...

I'm going to have to look that one up when I have some spare time.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2004, 01:47:46 PM »

Well, it depends on your definition of "Southerner", but only 2 GOP nominees have ever had their home states in the South (Bush 41 and Bush 43) and both of them were born in the Northeast. So certainly one could argue that no true Southerner has ever been nominated by the Republicans. And a lot of people in the South might not even truly consider Texas to be the South (it was part of the old Confederacy, but culturally is very diferent in many ways than the rest of the South, though it isn't politically much different).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2004, 02:13:40 PM »

Ah! If we accept that G.W.Bush is a Texan, he still isn't a Southerner.
He grew up in Midland, which is about as "Southern" as the state he was born in (CT).
Texas is a strange state... most of East TX is Southern certainly, but West Texas isn't.
Besides, Bush's image revolves around the whole Western/Cowboy thing.

BTW only one President has come from the Deep South (Jimmy Carter).
Zachary Taylor counts as a Virginian (did he ever even visit LA?)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #108 on: March 13, 2004, 12:58:49 AM »

Andrew Jackson was born in South Carolina.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #109 on: March 13, 2004, 12:59:50 AM »

Oh, and going purely by birth places, Eisenhower was born in Denison, TX, northeast of Dallas on the Red River.

He lived there for something like nine days though...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2004, 02:05:15 AM »

He was born in the south. That makes him a southerner in my book.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #111 on: March 13, 2004, 04:10:55 AM »

Andrew Jackson was born in South Carolina.

True... but I'll always think of him as from Tennessee Wink
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2004, 04:17:42 AM »

He was born in the south. That makes him a southerner in my book.

Aaah... but how do you define the South? Is all of Texas Southern? (No... but where does the South end and the West begin?)

Besides living somewhere for a week doesn't count... I lived in London for a week and never felt like a Londoner...
Ike always played up the whole mid-westish thing anyhow...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2004, 10:15:18 AM »

I don't think you can really break up a part of a state and say "This part is southern and this part isn't." Texas was loyal to the south east or west. N.Mexico was southern territory. Like if I was born in Georgia and moved to Boston. I'd be a Southerner by birth, but I'd be a Yankee because I've lived in Boston so long. It all depends on if your parents came from the place you were born or were just living there.
zachman

« Reply #114 on: March 13, 2004, 04:59:49 PM »

Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma are part of the same region. I'll start referring to it as the Western South. Texas, like Florida, is an exception to every regional rule because it has some major yankee influences.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #115 on: March 13, 2004, 05:45:05 PM »

Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma are part of the same region. I'll start referring to it as the Western South. Texas, like Florida, is an exception to every regional rule because it has some major yankee influences.

Every part of the south has Yankee influences. Just like Ohio, Indiana, and Southern Ill. have Southern influences. It would be hard to find any area of the nation that was truely northern, southern, western or whatever. Florida having yankees is not a recent phenomena. In 1940 almost 48% of Floridians were not born in Florida but had moved down here.
zachman

« Reply #116 on: March 13, 2004, 06:12:26 PM »

Texas has these high-tech suburbs around Dallas and Houston, in which most of the population was not from the south.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: March 13, 2004, 06:27:02 PM »

Many areas of the south are the same way.
zachman

« Reply #118 on: March 13, 2004, 06:29:00 PM »

Particularly Texas. There are migration patterns from those suburbs to here, and they don't bear a southern accent.

The other strange migration pattern I've found is that I've met two or three Alaskans who have moved to Texas, and then to NH.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: March 13, 2004, 06:43:30 PM »

I work with a person and when they joined the military they met a person from vermont. The person kept staring him and his friend down and when they asked him why he was staring he said "I've never seen a black person before." They did end up being friends. This was in 1986.
zachman

« Reply #120 on: March 13, 2004, 06:45:50 PM »

I probably couldn't determine whether a person was Latino or not, because they just don't live in New England.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #121 on: March 13, 2004, 06:49:31 PM »

I probably couldn't determine whether a person was Latino or not, because they just don't live in New England.

Really? That's interesting. I love how this country has such a variety of groups and how each region is so different from the next. BTW, yes the south is changing, but I know where I work if you go in pronouncing "We Northerners are better" or hint at it. You will get run out of the job. Not physically but it will happen. I've seen it happen, and the race of the southerner doesnt matter. I've seen blacks and whites just as rough on yankees.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2004, 06:12:47 AM »

Arkansas is not like TX or OK
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: March 14, 2004, 10:50:13 AM »

Yes, Arkansas is different because of the Ozark Mountains and people from Arkansas are mostly descendents of Mississippians and Tennessee folk.
zachman

« Reply #124 on: March 14, 2004, 01:04:58 PM »

Should I group it with Missouri then?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies