SB 2016-030: End Selective Service Act (Debating)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:02:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2016-030: End Selective Service Act (Debating)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SB 2016-030: End Selective Service Act (Debating)  (Read 501 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 26, 2016, 11:56:29 AM »
« edited: September 26, 2016, 11:59:58 AM by tmthforu94 »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: Enduro, via Public Submissions

72 hours to debate. I have notified the sponsor to testify.

For reference, this passed the House, so if we pass it, it'll move on to the president, who has indicated he will sign it.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 11:58:38 AM »

If the people don't want to be in a war, we shouldn't be in it.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 02:35:01 PM »

I'm against the Draft being used in wars like Vietnam- if I was alive in the 1970's I would have been strongly against the Draft, and believe that whilst our men and women in uniform were brave and heroic people should not be imprisoned to fight in a highly controversial war, with unclear objectives and no clear end.

However I feel there should be a mechanism for Selective Service in the doomsday case of WW3 where the entire survival of our nation is at risk
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 03:13:36 PM »

I support all attempts to weaken the draft powers of this government.  This bill has my full support.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 03:46:48 PM »

I'm against the Draft being used in wars like Vietnam- if I was alive in the 1970's I would have been strongly against the Draft, and believe that whilst our men and women in uniform were brave and heroic people should not be imprisoned to fight in a highly controversial war, with unclear objectives and no clear end.

However I feel there should be a mechanism for Selective Service in the doomsday case of WW3 where the entire survival of our nation is at risk

I'm unsure World War 3 would happen, realistically, with nuclear weapons combat has evolved into a series of proxy wars between two superpowers until ones economy can't take it.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 04:03:31 PM »

I'm unsure World War 3 would happen, realistically, with nuclear weapons combat has evolved into a series of proxy wars between two superpowers until ones economy can't take it.

But I'm naturally skeptical as many voices after World War 1 were calling for disarmament under the banner of peace, and convictions that another 'great war' couldn't happen 
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 06:26:52 PM »

But I'm naturally skeptical as many voices after World War 1 were calling for disarmament under the banner of peace, and convictions that another 'great war' couldn't happen 

World War 1 didn't change combat like World War 2 did.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 10:48:42 PM »

Not to mention the fact that Atlasia has one of the largest militaries in the world.  I'm confident that recruitment would not be an issue were an emergency to break out.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 05:34:57 AM »

I voted for this in the House and I will gladly vote for this in the Senate as well!
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 11:44:00 AM »

Oh I disagree- introduction of tanks, cities being bombarded by air, mass combat. Apart from the advent of Nuclear Weapons WW2 didn't change combat- but saw it on a much bigger scale.

If you look at the last 60 years you can't rule out the need for a draft, when we're in an absolute emergency
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 02:41:47 PM »

... Yeah, actual military historians will disagree with you pretty strongly on that point. Disregarding the merits of this proposal, your statement is simply not accurate.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2016, 03:42:36 PM »

Nuclear weapons changed combat forever.

I'm not saying that World War 1 didn't change anything, I'm saying it didn't change it in the way World War 2 did.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2016, 06:06:18 AM »

The fact we had a huge land war 5 years after getting the Bomb showed that the impact of Nuclear Weapons wasn't as important- along with the fact that Nuclear Powers (India v Pakistan, India v China, USSR v China) have had major skirmishes in the last 50 years
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2016, 07:26:47 PM »

Debate continues on this bill.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 05:19:42 PM »

I've still yet to see anything that would convince me to end selective service; I'm more than willing to oppose it's use in certain situations (I would have been one of the people wanting to end the Draft in Vietnam) but I wouldn't want to completely ban it
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »

What do other Senators feel about this?
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »

I voted for this when I was in the house and co-sponsored it on behalf of Santander with Clyde....I believe that Selective Service is wholly unnecessary. Whenever war breaks out, particularly when Atlasia  is attacked pre-emptively, those eligible for service rush to sign up for the military, they dedicate their lives to the country that they love. Plucking people randomly who clearly do not have the dedication to put their lives on the line is unnecessary as those who do want to fight, do.
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 10:33:55 PM »

Debate has been fairly uneventful (the most lively part was when Blair missed Enduro's point--that we live in the Nuclear Age where a WW3 involving large numbers of personnel is impossible), I think we should get this moving sooner rather than later.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 10:59:01 PM »

Very well, if there are no objections, I will open up a vote on this bill tomorrow.
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 02:54:22 PM »

I now open up a final 48 hour vote on this bill. Senators have 48 hours to cast an AYE, NAY, or Abstain vote on this bill, should it pass, it will move on to the President for his signature or veto.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AYE
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 03:08:31 PM »

Nay
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 03:25:24 PM »

An enthusiastic AYE!
Terry the Fat Shark
Junior Chimp
United States

P P
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2016, 06:57:09 PM »

With 2 members voting Aye, 1 Member voting NAY, and 3 members Not voting, this Bill passes with a 2-1 margin...and goes to the President for his signature or veto.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies