What most concerns or upsets you about the current state of the US? (round 4)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:47:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  What most concerns or upsets you about the current state of the US? (round 4)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What most concerns or upsets you about the current state of the US? (round 4)
#1 - Income Inequality / Affording healthcare, college, childcare, housing, energy, food, transportation, retirement, leave

#2 - Race-fuelled violence / Police shootings / Bigotry / Riots / need of Criminal Justice & Voting Reform / Civil Rights

#3 - the state of our Public Schools

#4 - Greenhouse gas emissions / climate change

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: What most concerns or upsets you about the current state of the US? (round 4)  (Read 556 times)
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 13, 2016, 07:48:39 PM »
« edited: October 25, 2016, 10:46:18 PM by Blue3 »

What is most concerning or upsetting to you about the current state of the USA, and why?

Something that has been missing... PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY

v3: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=248016
v2: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=247542.0
v1: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=246335.0

-our current Race issues are deeply unsettlingly and uncomfortable to me, I didn't think our country would be here again

-so many not being able to afford so much, while not disturbing or shocking like the race/police issues, is still perpetually concerning despite it being accepted as the status quo by so many

-having worked in schools in various roles now, the state of some of our public schools is appalling

-much farther down is climate change. It's happening, we have to deal with it, and we are dealing with it. First step was to get off foreign oil, and that's basically done. We've exponentially grown the clean energy sector since Obama became President. There's still more to do, but we are actually making great progress here. I'm optimistic. Some climate change is unavoidable now, it's already happening now, but for what we do have control over we are making great strides and I feel good as long as we continue the path we are on.

EDIT:

final round:  https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=249693.0
PresidentSamTilden

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 01:34:58 PM »

Climate change is the #1 threat. The others are very serious short term problems that do need to be addressed. But your optimism on this topic is hard for me to understand.

Preventing a disaster requires strong action on the part of governments, which are easily sidetracked by catering to business interests, or pursuing geopolitical domination. It requires willingness by populations to divert resources away from consumption to make the necessary changes. They are easily misled by propaganda from business and governments.

Remember that we are not just talking about an unconformable rise in temperature. We're talking about a significant decline in agriculture production. We're talking about rising sea levels and stronger storms threatening the survival of major cities. We're talking about climate refugees on a scale that makes the Syrian crisis look like move in day at your local state university.

Climate change has the potential to collapse human societies on a global scale. It can certainly be avoided, but we will choose to do it? Or will the failings of our human psychology allow us to ignore it until it is too late?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 04:29:31 PM »

By far my biggest concern is the increasing hatred and terroristic talk by Republicans if Trump loses.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 05:06:05 PM »

the fact the you guys have something sold in supermarkets that claims to be "cheese" and yet, isn't cheese.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »

the fact the you guys have something sold in supermarkets that claims to be "cheese" and yet, isn't cheese.
Literally doing that is against the law.  If it is called cheese, it has to be cheese made in the traditional cheese making process.

Otherwise it has to be called "prepared cheese product" to indicate it is cheese-like, but not cheese.

But the best thing about American supermarkets is that you can buy imported cheese from all over the world, domestic cheese, AND processed "fake cheese" product or even vegan faux cheese.

You know what Americans have for cheese?  CHOICES
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2016, 05:44:20 PM »

The bathroom question, of course:

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2016, 07:00:26 PM »

none of these
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2016, 07:04:57 PM »

I'd go with #3; the school systems in the United States are in disastrous straits. Kids learn little in K-12 and the absurd bureaucracy prevents many people who would be excellent teachers from coming anywhere near the profession.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2016, 07:05:34 PM »

But out of these number 3 easily
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2016, 10:03:27 PM »

I couldn't decide beetween the other three, so I just voted climate change.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2016, 10:34:57 PM »

The first two are nowhere as serious issues as the second two. Between the two, went with climate change, though the state of public education in this country is also a defensible choice.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2016, 10:44:02 PM »

Racially fueled violence is a big problem in this country, but it's not what you want to talk about.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2016, 04:58:16 PM »

Racially fueled violence is a big problem in this country, but it's not what you want to talk about.
What do you mean by that?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies