TRUMAN for SENATE: A Time for Truth
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:45:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  TRUMAN for SENATE: A Time for Truth
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: TRUMAN for SENATE: A Time for Truth  (Read 2323 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 21, 2016, 03:45:09 PM »

Fourteen months ago, in the midst of a crisis so great some predicted our republic could not survive it, I set aside my private cares and personal considerations to stand as a write-in candidate for the Senate. I did this because I considered it my duty to do all that I could to preserve our democracy against those who would corrupt it for their own purposes. Now, on an day much like that August afternoon, the time has come for me to return to the arena.

I stand before you, my fellow Northerners, to announce that I have declared my write-in candidacy to become the next Senator for the North. My hat is in the ring (as the great Theodore Roosevelt would say) and I am prepared to fight this campaign to the bitter end.

For three weeks, I have watched with growing horror the wave of cold-blooded self interest sweeping the nation. Treachery, deception, and cloakroom bargains have become the currency of the political exchange, employed by short-sighted fools on both sides of the aisle whose carefree embrace of unscrupulous tactics threatens to destroy everything we have fought so hard to create. This is not true everywhere - men like Senator Blair, Justice Yankee, and Speaker Never Again show that it is possible to run a clean, issues-based campaign - but far too many of my fellow citizens now ignore this example in favor of the "win now, think later" motto that pervaded politics in the days before the August Reformation.

I am running for the Senate because it matters. Unlike the other candidates on the ballot this month, I don't need this job to pad my resume in preparation for a future presidential bid. I am running because I firmly believe it would be a dereliction of duty to stand by and allow the forces of dishonesty and misinformation to regain control of our national conversation. This campaign is more than an ordinary election; it is a test of character, and I am the only candidate in the race who has shown he can pass that test.

The people of the North deserve a senator who has shown he will put the region's interest before his own. They deserve a senator who will fight long and hard in defense of the common man, and who will work with both parties to get the job done. They deserve a senator who will never compromise his integrity for political gain, and who has the ideas, courage, and ability to lead our country toward a brighter future. I am that senator.

There are Three Things You Should Consider
When Casting Your Vote This Weekend

1) I am my own man. I take no orders from party bosses and I will not hesitate to disavow my party's candidates whenever they are in the wrong, as I have done time and again over the past 19 months. I am a proud Laborite, make no mistake: but when we stray from our ideals, I have no qualms about saying so. A senator ought to represent all Northerners, not just those in his corner of the political spectrum; my record of working across the aisle with people like Yankee, Lumine, Leinad, and PiT shows that I can and will be a senator for all the people.

2) I am, by far, the most qualified candidate for the job. I have served my region and my country in countless offices at both the federal and local level. I was Speaker of the Mideast Assembly for two terms, Senator At-Large for three, Deputy P.O. and then Presiding Officer of the Constitutional Convention, Speaker of the Senate, and finally Secretary of State. When I was last in the Senate, I worked with Federalists to pass a balanced budget, cut taxes for small business and middle class families, and cap tuition at public universities; I introduced the Reconstruction of the Pacific Act that saved our western region from certain collapse (again working across the aisle to get the job done quickly), voted against job-killing trade deals, and drafted legislation to fight ISIS without putting Atlasian boots on the ground. As Secretary of State, I negotiated a common market agreement with the UK, single-handedly resolved the Paflagonian Hostage Crisis, and played an active role fighting for sane foreign policy in Congress. Simply put, I know how to get the job done. I have a long record of accomplishments stretching back 19 months, and I will never throw in the towel when the future of Atlasia is at stake.

3) I will nip the Radical Resurgence in the bud. Last summer, I was singled out for attack by members of the so-called "Radical Caucus" - a corrupt personality cult born on IRC whose power stemmed from their ability to deceive and intimidate voters and whose members literally called for the destruction of the game. These individuals are attempting a comeback this month under the banner of the "Harambe Freedom Party," which is just the latest incarnation of the same forum clique that led a Communist revolution and held show trials against political rivals back in July. Unlike my opponent, I will never support any candidate, no matter what party they run in, who worked to undermine our republic in her time of need. I fought these people before and won, and I will fight them again - no matter what the cost to my reputation - because I refuse to compromise the integrity of our democracy for a seat in the Senate.

This is no time for cowards. You know who I am, and what I stand for. You know that I am a pragmatic progressive committed to bipartisanship and common-sense solutions with a long track record of working with the other party. You know that I have fought, for the better part of two years, to make this country the greatest on the Earth, and that I would willingly sacrifice anything in defense of the Atlasian people. In the name of the sanctity of our Republic, the preservation of our Constitution, and the promise of a better future, I ask for your support and your vote in this election.

"Once more into the breech, my friends, once more!"
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 04:02:05 PM »

THE CANDIDATE

Harry S Truman
Labor Party     Indiana

Secretary of State
(July 2016 - incumbent)

Presiding Officer of the Constitutional Convention
(November 2015 - May 2016)

Deputy Presiding Officer of the Constitutional Convention
(October 2015 - November 2015)

Speaker of the Senate
(May 2016 - June 2016)

Senator At-Large
(September 2015 - June 2016)

Speaker of the Mideast Assembly
(May 2015 - September 2015)

Mideast Representative
(March 2015 - September 2015)
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 04:03:06 PM »

I will be producing my Truman endorsement speech ASAP. But until then I must say you are the embodiment of the man we need in this nation to move us onto the new generation!

GO TRUMAN!
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 04:04:42 PM »

Well, this is disappointing - Why?

Based on your speeches, in which you do not mention my name, it doesn't seem to be an issue with me...
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 04:10:12 PM »
« Edited: October 21, 2016, 04:18:10 PM by Speaker NeverAgain »

Mr. Truman, I made a more signature-sized image for those that want to sig this glorious campaign. (I like the light blue more Wink )

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view&id=16359
Pragmatic Conservative
1184AZ
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 3.00, S: -0.41

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 04:12:36 PM »

Harry S Truman, I have gotten the greater pleasure of knowing a man of such greater character, a person that strives to put Atlasia first on every occasion. I have gotten to know a person that instead of falling for desist, manipulative tactics entitlement and partisanship,  turning his back on such wicked and destructive practices. Instead Truman has embraced bipartisanship solutions, Diplomacy, and a platform that will put all Atlasian first. Endorsed my friend!!!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 04:21:35 PM »

I will be producing my Truman endorsement speech ASAP. But until then I must say you are the embodiment of the man we need in this nation to move us onto the new generation!

GO TRUMAN!
Thank you, Mr. Speaker!

Harry S Truman, I have gotten the greater pleasure of knowing a man of such greater character, a person that strives to put Atlasia first on every occasion. I have gotten to know a person that instead of falling for desist, manipulative tactics entitlement and partisanship,  turning his back on such wicked and destructive practices. Instead Truman has embraced bipartisanship solutions, Diplomacy, and a platform that will put all Atlasian first. Endorsed my friend!!!
Many thanks, Mr. Representative-emeritus (and SoIA-to-be?)!

Based on your speeches, in which you do not mention my name, it doesn't seem to be an issue with me...
I certainly have nothing against you personally, Mr. Representative, but I'm disappointed with the way you've managed your campaign recently. Your near total absence from the campaign trail and your decision to endorse what is essentially an anti-democratic troll ticket for the presidency has led me to question whether this is the right time for you to join the Senate.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 04:30:57 PM »

I certainly have nothing against you personally, Mr. Representative, but I'm disappointed with the way you've managed your campaign recently. Your near total absence from the campaign trail and your decision to endorse what is essentially an anti-democratic troll ticket for the presidency has led me to question whether this is the right time for you to join the Senate.

Because I feel like i owe you, Truman, and you, the Atlasian people an explanation/apology, here goes nothing:

Why I haven't been on the campaign trail:

-I was not challenged for this seat
-I have duties in the House
-I've been busy in life recently

I understand that it's still inexcusable, but I've been an active citizen in Atlasia in the public sphere and in the government since I declared my candidacy, and apparently that speaks less than I thought it did

The Xahar gambit:

You know why I play Atlasia? Because I think it should be fun. I know Xahar will never be elected, and he's, at best, a spoiler. But BaconKing and Xahar promise to inject fun into the game. I talked over this all with Sen. Blair, and he was, surprisingly, cool with it. You will note that Blair received my second preference, and I will say that I did that with a smile on my face. I fully support Blair and hope that he becomes the next president.

I only issue this apology because I truly want to serve my people in the Atlasian Senate.

Thank you. Any questions?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 05:09:05 PM »

A Time for Truth - the campaign ad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB_4Heb47d8
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2016, 05:12:50 PM »

A Time for Truth, eh? Explain this:

Endorsed! I can't think of anyone better to follow Blair as our region's voice in Nyman.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 06:18:19 PM »
« Edited: October 31, 2016, 04:58:44 PM by Secretary of State Truman »

Right. I endorsed you before it became clear that you had no intention of running an active campaign and before you endorsed a frankly, destructive candidate for the presidency. I should have thought that was clear.

Having no declared opponent is no excuse for running an inactive campaign. I was a candidate for the Mideast Assembly on three separate occasions in 2015; in each of those elections, the number of candidates for office was fewer than the number of seats, meaning that I was effectively running unopposed. The same was true when I ran for my third and final term as Senator At-Large in April. I could have won those elections without any effort at all, but instead I chose to run an active campaign - publishing a detailed platform, making speeches, etc. - because I knew then, as I know now, that activity is the lifeblood of the game. (I did this while continuing to tend to my official responsibilities, by the way.) Your explanation - that you didn't campaign because you didn't have to - shows that you do not understand this simple truth. As for your other reasons: I am a full-time college student with a part time job and a mountain of familial responsibilities to boot. I know what it is to be busy. No-one should be forced to prioritize this game above real life, but if you can't be an active servant of the people, you should not ask for a promotion.

You obviously have every right to support whatever presidential candidate you choose. I am, however, astounded that you would install in the White House a man who is, at best, an inactive troll and, at worst, a malicious and anti-democratic strongman. Last year, he and his friends on IRC launched an all-out attempt to dismantle constitutional government in this country. His ticket is only the latest incarnation of the IRC clique that launched a Communist uprising in the Midwest, arrested and tried Yankee and Classic Conservative on trumped-up charges, did everything they could to disrupt the Constitutional Convention, and bullied and threatened every new user who dared question their ideas. Those are not times that I wish to return to, and if such is your definition of "fun," then it is safe to say that we have very different priorities.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2016, 06:33:27 PM »

Having no declared opponent is no excuse for running an inactive campaign. I was a candidate for the Mideast Assembly on three separate occasions in 2015; in each of those elections, the number of candidates for office was fewer than the number of seats, meaning that I was effectively running unopposed. The same was true when I ran for my third and final term as Senator At-Large in April. I could have won those elections without any effort at all, but instead I chose to run an active campaign - publishing a detailed platform, making speeches, etc. - because I knew then, as I know now, that activity is the lifeblood of the game. (I did this while continuing to tend to my official responsibilities, by the way.) Your explanation - that you didn't campaign because you didn't have to - shows that you do not understand this simple truth.

This is a critical point considering how dead the AFE board has become as a result of so much discussion being transfered to various Mibbit chat rooms. Public campaigning is a critical thing that has to be restored, and it is one of the many reasons I structured my campaign effort the way I did.

I was often unopposed as Southeast Regional Senator, but I always campaigned publicly for the post regardless. And typically had some major inconvenience to contend with each time from computer failure, to income loss, to a death in the family. Trouble seemed to always be timed at the end of a January, May or September, just in time for the usual commencement to the Feb/June/Oct election cycles.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 07:04:05 PM »

Since I rejoined this game, I have been one of the most active people on the AFE board. All of yor other points are valid, let's agree to disagree there, but activity cannot be one. I post on many campaign threads, am involved in the IRCs, and have served my duty in the house with activity. Maybe I haven't been making campaign speeches, but damn me if I do things around here for something other than personal gain, am I right? Look, I welcome your challenge, but I think it's unwarranted and I've proven that I will be a strong, good, and active public servant.

And damn me for making the game fun again. My "newspaper" is one of the only things that brought excitement here, and it's helped reinvigorate the board.  You can't accuse me of not being active with all of this evidence. So what if I'm not a rigid, structured politician? I never claimed to be. I'm a man of the people - that's what I've always presented myself as. But what the hell, my accomplishments obviously mean nothing!
Leinad
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -7.91

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 07:52:27 PM »

We have had disagreements, but even as the opposing party's President, I fully endorse Truman's write-in campaign for Senate!

In every office he's held he's done a great job, been consistently active, stood against those who want to bring down the game, and has objectively made Atlasia a better place in many ways.

I encourage every Federalist, UAer, Independent, minor party-er, and reform-minded Laborite to vote  for this dedicated and active public servant, Harry S. Truman!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2016, 07:55:05 PM »

We have had disagreements, but even as the opposing party's President, I fully endorse Truman's write-in campaign for Senate!

In every office he's held he's done a great job, been consistently active, stood against those who want to bring down the game, and has objectively made Atlasia a better place in many ways.

I encourage every Federalist, UAer, Independent, minor party-er, and reform-minded Laborite to vote  for this dedicated and active public servant, Harry S. Truman!
Thank-you, Mr. President! Truly, this is an hour for all Atlasians - regardless of party - to come together in pursuit of a better tomorrow.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2016, 11:49:05 PM »

Fully endorsed! We need people like you, who have fought the apparently returned trolls, in the Senate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »

Right. I endorsed you before it became clear that you had no intention of running an active campaign and before you endorsed an anti-democratic and, frankly, destructive candidate for the presidency.

What exactly is anti-democratic about my candidacy? Please withdraw and apologize for these baseless slurs.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2016, 01:51:28 AM »

Right. I endorsed you before it became clear that you had no intention of running an active campaign and before you endorsed an anti-democratic and, frankly, destructive candidate for the presidency.

What exactly is anti-democratic about my candidacy? Please withdraw and apologize for these baseless slurs.

I would like to note that these remarks have been neither justified nor withdrawn.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2016, 03:28:18 AM »

Unhand Mr. Madison at once. Tongue
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 04:46:39 PM »

I would like to note that these remarks have been neither justified nor withdrawn.

I am still waiting.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2016, 05:02:15 PM »

I am still waiting.
My apologies - I have been away from the forum for the past two days and did not see your most recent post. Upon further reflection, "anti-democratic" is not an appropriate descriptor of your candidacy; I have edited my post to remove that term.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2016, 05:27:32 PM »

Thank you. I am also interested in knowing what about my candidacy was destructive.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2016, 05:32:50 PM »

Thank you. I am also interested in knowing what about my candidacy was destructive.
I strongly disagree with the vision of the HFP, and the ethical conduct of certain persons associated with it. So, a President Xahar would be destructive to the vision for Atlasia that I have worked towards over the past year or so.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2016, 05:37:57 PM »

I strongly disagree with the vision of the HFP, and the ethical conduct of certain persons associated with it. So, a President Xahar would be destructive to the vision for Atlasia that I have worked towards over the past year or so.

Don't talk in circles like this. Which persons? What ethical conduct? Be specific. Similarly, how would such a presidency be destructive to your vision? Talking like this is worse than nothing.
Türkisblau
H_Wallace
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2016, 05:59:04 PM »

You need to be among the biggest of the tryhards to be on the good side of the honorable Bore-in-Chief HST.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies