OK-Sooner Poll: Trump +30 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 03:30:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  OK-Sooner Poll: Trump +30 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OK-Sooner Poll: Trump +30  (Read 2337 times)
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 23, 2016, 04:34:50 PM »

I bet North Texas is pretty much treating Trump like any other Republican, but that his struggles are really from the Border region, and the SA, Austin, and Houston metro areas.

You might be right on that, assuming by NorthTex you are talking about the rural areas around the Red River.

I would also add WestTex to an area that could see some wild swings in 2016. As I have mentioned previously, this is one of the few parts of the country that swung towards Obama in 2012, and there is an extremely large Latino population in what has traditionally been one of the most Republican parts of Texas.

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 04:57:31 PM »

Personal experience - I see fewer Trump signs than I do Johnson signs, much less Clinton signs, in Tulsa, one of the most conservative cities in the country. There isn't much enthusiasm for Trump here.

"Living on Tulsa Time" Smiley

Tulsa is now only 58% Anglo with a large and rapidly growing Latino population....

I also have a pet theory about the "Oil Patch" that may or may not be shown on election night in key energy sector counties in the country, where Trump's plan to "Seize Iraqi Oil" if implemented would cause a huge collapse in the domestic oil sector that is already getting killed by the low price of crude, that has led to major layoffs over the past year or so.

Also, Tulsa Metro does have a relatively large and educated workforce, even beyond the Energy Sector, and although many of these workers are "Conservative" they don't necessarily like what they are hearing from the current party nominee.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 05:35:50 PM »

Personal experience - I see fewer Trump signs than I do Johnson signs, much less Clinton signs, in Tulsa, one of the most conservative cities in the country. There isn't much enthusiasm for Trump here.

"Living on Tulsa Time" Smiley

Tulsa is now only 58% Anglo with a large and rapidly growing Latino population....

I also have a pet theory about the "Oil Patch" that may or may not be shown on election night in key energy sector counties in the country, where Trump's plan to "Seize Iraqi Oil" if implemented would cause a huge collapse in the domestic oil sector that is already getting killed by the low price of crude, that has led to major layoffs over the past year or so.

Also, Tulsa Metro does have a relatively large and educated workforce, even beyond the Energy Sector, and although many of these workers are "Conservative" they don't necessarily like what they are hearing from the current party nominee.

I think oil and gas is very split this year.  Those in management and technical desk jobs in Houston (to a lesser degree in OKC, Tulsa and Alaska) are swinging hard away from Trump, while the roughnecks and field engineers who live and vote in the oilfields actually like him even more than a generic R.  I think ExtremeRepublican is right that Trump will be mostly fine in DFW and great in the Panhandle and rural Texas generally, but the bottom will fall out for him in Houston and OKC itself.

These are all really good points, although I want to add a further point, where I might differ slightly.

Many of the roughnecks out in the offshore rigs of the Gulf Coast are Black and Latinos, not to mention the sprawling oil refinery in Baytown outside of Houston, as well as the "Cancer corridor" of oil refineries that runs down from Baton Rouge down the Mississippi to a little North of New Orleans.

I agree that many Anglo roughnecks might swing a bit towards Trump, and he will likely do quite well among property owners in places like Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, and Wyoming that frequently have both cattle and some oil pumps on their land and benefit from dual tax breaks in many of these states as a result.

One item not yet discussed are all of the contractors/subcontractors and vendors that are downstream suppliers to the Petro Industry. For example, the massive layoffs in the energy sector shortly before I left Houston a year ago, were not just confined to management/administrative jobs in places like the new Exxon-Mobile Corp HQ in the Woodlands, but also many companies that provided services and goods from designing and manufacturing oil field hardware, trucking companies supporting the Eagle Ford Shale in South Texas, not to mention a ton of small business owners directly impacted by the collapse of the domestic American Petroleum sector.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Ford_Group

Although, I am not that familiar with the history of the Energy Sector in OK, Tulsa is a city with is rated one of the top 10 livable cities in the US, with a rapidly growing and diversifying economy, and personally I remotely supported a major Tech sector corp account when I was back in Houston.

As others have noted, it is unlikely that Trump will outperform McCain and Romney margins in the state at large, but I would not be surprised to see OKC and Tulsa lurch Democratic, while rural counties maintain or slightly underperform Romney 2012 numbers.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies