Chilean Presidential Election 2017 (Piņera landslide, defeats Guillier with 54%) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:44:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Chilean Presidential Election 2017 (Piņera landslide, defeats Guillier with 54%) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chilean Presidential Election 2017 (Piņera landslide, defeats Guillier with 54%)  (Read 48010 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: October 25, 2016, 06:14:04 PM »

Has Bachelet managed to get any notable reform passed, or has she basically been a lame duck all through her term?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »

Has Bachelet managed to get any notable reform passed, or has she basically been a lame duck all through her term?

Oh, she most certainly did. 2014 was the key year, with Bachelet passing a tax reform law (which earned the ire of many small businessmen and economic groups, leading to negotiations with DC and Chile Vamos that watered it down a bit) and the decisive educational reforms, which created an odd scheme to make university free on a gradual basis among other things. Plus she also started a process to change the constitution, although so far not much has been advanced and the real decisions will be taken under the next President.

The more relevant ones in electoral terms though are a voting reform, which ends the binomial system to elect Congress, increases the Senate from 38 to 50 and the Deputies from 120 to 150 and moves onto a D'Hondt proportional system awarding seats in districts that elect several officeholders. Add to that a reform to directly elect "Governors" for each region, although the current project gives them little power (a delegate from the government would be the one actually ruling the region).

So yeah, despite all Bachelet has passed substantial reforms on many areas before seeing her approvals collapse. I do like the change to the electoral system despite a ridiculous provision which forces 40% of candidates to be women, and I do think having a new constitution is actually a good idea (although what that constitution should contain is the main issue), but I have to admit I abhor Bachelet's reforms on tax, the economy, and particularly the educational system.

That all sounds pretty great to me. I'd be curious to know more about the tax and education reforms, but both of them sound like major progressive victories. The electoral reform is also glorious news, hopefully it will finally end gridlock. I'd much rather have an unpopular President that achieves significant positive change than a popular do-nothing one.

So, it seems like Nueva Mayoria is in serious trouble for this election, but they should get their act back together by 2021, right?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 01:29:41 PM »

If she got all this done, why is she unpopular?

For the reasons Lumine explained at great length a few posts above.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 03:36:45 PM »

Well, there we go. #ReadyForGuiller I guess.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »

So what do the Congress results look like? I can't find anything on Wikipedia.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:59:00 PM »

Wow, Guillier may yet win this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution