Are Carribean Hispanics more Conservative than South American Hispanics?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 11:08:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Are Carribean Hispanics more Conservative than South American Hispanics?  (Read 937 times)
diptheriadan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 25, 2016, 09:20:11 PM »
« edited: October 26, 2016, 01:18:58 AM by Jack's Overused Reference »

ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 10:24:18 PM »

You mean Cubans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans? We would usually think of them as Latin American, though Smiley

In any case, the three groups are very different - and generally do not like each other. Furthermore, there is a difference between the populations and home and in the US.  In the US, of course, Cubans are the most Republican of all the Hispanic groups. In contrast, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are very Democratic (just check out the voting patterns in East Harlem, for Puerto Ricans, and in Washington Heights, for Dominicans).
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 12:48:32 AM »

I remember reading that Dominicans are the most Democratic-voting Hispanic group, and IIRC Puerto Ricans are not far behind. Cubans are an entirely different story. Due to the very different history of those three places, I don't think it's really helpful to lump them into the same category when discussing US politics.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2016, 06:19:55 AM »

I remember reading that Dominicans are the most Democratic-voting Hispanic group, and IIRC Puerto Ricans are not far behind. Cubans are an entirely different story. Due to the very different history of those three places, I don't think it's really helpful to lump them into the same category when discussing US politics.

They shouldn't be discussed when analyzing Hispanic voters in the US?  I wonder how they feel about that.  Amazing how much anti-Cuban bigotry has come out this year.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2016, 09:08:23 AM »

They shouldn't be discussed when analyzing Hispanic voters in the US?  I wonder how they feel about that.  Amazing how much anti-Cuban bigotry has come out this year.

WTF....?
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2016, 09:24:09 AM »

Amazing, how poor is the command of the English language exhibited by some people here. Basic Emglish reading comprehension at, say, the third-grade level should, probably be a pre-requisite for posting here.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2016, 09:31:02 AM »
« Edited: October 26, 2016, 09:33:04 AM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

You mean Cubans, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans? We would usually think of them as Latin American, though Smiley

In any case, the three groups are very different - and generally do not like each other. Furthermore, there is a difference between the populations and home and in the US.  In the US, of course, Cubans are the most Republican of all the Hispanic groups. In contrast, Puerto Ricans and Dominicans are very Democratic (just check out the voting patterns in East Harlem, for Puerto Ricans, and in Washington Heights, for Dominicans).

For that matter, other Latin Americans are not particularly fond of Cubans either, which makes sense considering that Spain pursued a rather explicit and aggressive "Make Cuba White Again"strategy in the 19th Century that populated Cuba with many European immigrants, who embraced the rigid norms that govern a racial caste system. Many Cuban-Americans are the descendants of this group.

It's not hard to find stories online about Cubans calling Central Americans and Mexicans "indios" as a pejorative insult and being very bigoted towards Blacks etc. For this reason, there is little love for Cuban-Americans, along with the more obvious reasons for lack of harmony: Cubans who would be considered "illegals" are embraced by the American government and all other groups, outside of Puerto Ricans, are not. While South Americans must go through various hurdles to live in America, Cubans do not, so even if wealthier Colombians and Venezuelans share social characteristics with Cubans, there is some animosity.

Note: I don't share these viewpoints regarding Cubans and think that, generally speaking, Latinos get along fine, particularly when they work together at firms that largely employ white Americans.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 03:24:39 PM »

It really depends on the Hispanic, and his/her beliefs.
DIXIECRAT
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2016, 04:05:12 PM »

No way, man! Being of African descent is the best predictor of Democratic voting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies