FL - Bloomberg - Trump +2 (4 way) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:56:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  FL - Bloomberg - Trump +2 (4 way) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FL - Bloomberg - Trump +2 (4 way)  (Read 4900 times)
PollsDontLie
nirvanayoda
Rookie

« on: October 26, 2016, 07:21:48 AM »

Another point from Steve Schale:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Bloomberg's likely voter model sucks.

They're (well, Seltzer is) generally one of the most accurate pollsters.  It's tough to argue with past results, even if such results don't guarantee future performance.  Take a look at their Iowa Senate polls in 2014 that everyone else thought were outliers.
PollsDontLie
nirvanayoda
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2016, 07:34:10 AM »

When the poll had Trump getting 44% of Hispanics, the poll is just bad.

Yes, let's unskew the polls.  That always turns out really well.

I'll offer an alternative explanation -- Floridian Cuban Hispanics have typically voted Republican in greater percentages than Hispanics from other regions.  That hasn't been the case this cycle because, quite frankly, Trump is toxic to ethnic minorities.  However, it's possible that this group of voters is coming "home", either as a result of Rubio's candidacy or otherwise.
PollsDontLie
nirvanayoda
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2016, 07:41:01 AM »

When the poll had Trump getting 44% of Hispanics, the poll is just bad.

Yes, let's unskew the polls.  That always turns out really well.

I'll offer an alternative explanation -- Floridian Cuban Hispanics have typically voted Republican in greater percentages than Hispanics from other regions.  That hasn't been the case this cycle because, quite frankly, Trump is toxic to ethnic minorities.  However, it's possible that this group of voters is coming "home", either as a result of Rubio's candidacy or otherwise.
Or something more obvious the poll is an outlier.

Also possible, for sure.  I'll just say, though, that the Atlas population tends to describe all polls highly unfavorable to their preferred candidate as "outliers".  That isn't always the case -- again, look at Seltzer's final Ernst +7 poll in 2014 when the other pollsters were herding around +3ish.  In fact, Ernst won by more than 8.

So am I saying Trump is necessarily really up 2 in Florida?  Probably not.  This is MoE stuff.  And even if he was, Clinton's superior ground game probably propels her to victory there.  What I am saying, though, is that this reflexive "it must be an outlier" response should be tempered.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies