List/Directory of Congressional Assistance?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:30:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  List/Directory of Congressional Assistance?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: List/Directory of Congressional Assistance?  (Read 1447 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 11, 2005, 10:02:16 PM »

Could anybody tell me if there is a directory in which one can browse for job openings, both paying and voluntary, for congressional campaigns? I would like to work on a local campaign in my area, but being only 17, I feel limited to what a congressional campaign would allow me to do being a minor. I realize that perhaps contacting the state party organizations is one way, but I feel that I would perhaps be shrugged off with this approach. Can anybody offer some advice?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 10:05:47 PM »

Contact the campaign you want to work for and ask to volunteer now. By next year you'll be well set.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 10:09:50 PM »

Well see, the only problem is that the district in which I live in is highly Republican. In fact, over the past 12 years, the incumbent has ran unopposed three times. I do not believe that a congressional candidate has emerged yet for the Democratic Party. I've also contacted my county chairperson for the Democratic Party but never recieved a response.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 10:11:43 PM »

If there is local races you could always volunteer for those. Possibly volunteer for Taylor or Cox during the primary. Just contact whatever campaign is availible and volunteer.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 10:19:54 PM »

I just contacted the Cathy Cox campaign with my volunteer information. I seriously want to do some political work; I am just afraid that some will not take me seriously due to my age. =/
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 10:46:46 PM »

I did an internship with my Congresswoman recently, I called the district office to set up an interview.  However, you don't need to be a member of the district to intern there, most of the office staff didn't live in my district.  However, given where you are, I doubt there are many Democrats around in neighboring districts.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 10:49:49 PM »

You're in Nathan Deal's district, right, Adam?

I, too, have tried to volunteer for Cathy Cox, but I've heard no response.

I volunteered literally hundreds of hours for Max Cleland in 2001 and 2002, including the bulk of my summer before the election.  I was about your age at the time, and it was an incredible experience.  I think I was probably his #1 volunteer in terms of hours contributed, and Max has since returned the favor.  He's a truly great man.

Anyway, the Georgia Democratic Party was in the same building as Max's campaign HQ (and Cathy's in 2002), and I went there fairly regularly to complete various tasks, but since then, I've tried to volunteer there several times, and they have never responded, even when I include a resume and documentation signed by Max directly that speaks in my favor.  The GDP seems to me to be terribly disorganized.

I still hope to get involved with Cathy's campaign, but I think it's in Decatur, which is pretty far from you, I know.  I'm having a hard time thinking of a candidate based in your part of the state...
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 10:50:57 PM »

Well, the districts directly south of me are all Democratic; the only problem is that they are 80-120 miles away. I live in District 10-GA, approximately 3 miles from the TN border. =/
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 10:51:35 PM »

I'm not aware of any candidates around here either. We are really lacking in this part of the state.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 10:54:51 PM »

Well, the districts directly south of me are all Democratic; the only problem is that they are 80-120 miles away. I live in District 10-GA, approximately 3 miles from the TN border. =/

Yeah, 80-120 miles is way too long for a drive.  And in that part of TN, I think all of the Congressmen are Democrats?  What about State Senators/Reps?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 11:00:54 PM »

TN-3, which borders the entire northern part of Georgia, is represented by Republican Zach Wamp. TN-2 seeps into District 3, but it is also Republican-controlled. TN-4 is Democratic, but it is at least an hour drive.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 11:16:45 PM »

Not to mention I've searched the internet for GA organizations with forums, but all I ever see are sites such as "Donate your time!" or "Get Involved!", but they never really go deep enough into the process of how to get involved or donate your time. I have aspirations to somehow mobilize young potential voters in my district in order to actually have an election, rather than an unopposed incumbent repeatedly sliding into office, but my area is so unorganized in this aspect.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies