My Heart Goes Out to the British People
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 13, 2024, 06:17:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  My Heart Goes Out to the British People
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: My Heart Goes Out to the British People  (Read 4583 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2005, 11:24:33 PM »

My thoughts and condolences are with the British people at this time, as most of us can sympathize with the panic and grief that they are experiencing.

As for you people who are making this political: Democratic, Republican, whatever: shut the hell up already. It is absolutely sickening to hear Democrats and Independents turning this around and trying to blame it on George Bush and/or Tony Blair, and equally disgusting to hear Republicans and Independents bash the former, labeling them unsympathetic and whatnot. While I agree that this doesn't mean that partisan lines will drop, there should be at least a "cease-fire" of sorts when it comes to this issue. This is a political forum; not a damned party convention, and you aren't going to gain any credit for your party by bashing the other over aspects of this tragic event.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2005, 04:00:51 AM »

Well hosting the G8 thing is always going to be a magnet for terrorists, yes... but I don't really think that hosting it is in anyway misguided.
London is used to terrorist attacks more than most places anyways; although things had been kinda quiet in the past few years, the most recent attack was the Nailbomber.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2005, 04:21:20 AM »

I don't mean to be rude, but in the name of respect, it might be a good idea to simply ignore objectionable comments or send a PM or something.  If the point is to avoid offending people by removing a comment deemed inappropriate, I'm not sure fighting does anything other than further disrespect.

My heart goes out to those affected by this tragedy.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2005, 06:35:12 AM »

My thoughts and condolences are with the British people at this time, as they have been through a terrible ordeal, from utter joy to complete shock and mourning. But I know they'll bounce back.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2005, 12:55:37 PM »

My heart only goes out to the people directly affected by these attacks - the families and friends, the support workers, and of course the victims themselves.  They don't deserve to suffer the consequences of their government's misguided actions.

Joe, I'm surprised at your comments. I must say I'm disappinted with them. You are usually pretty thoughtful. The only people to blame are those responsible for those bloody bombs

To Supersoulty et al Smiley, thanks for all your kind words at this time.

The euphoria of Wednesday had only began to sink in and now this. It seems so surreal. No-one, I knew were harmed and my thoughts are with those who have lost friends and loved ones

Dave
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2005, 05:48:02 PM »

Moose...no no no no no. Al Quaeda will attack ANY nation it disagrees with. They don't differentiate between pro and anti Iraq war nations in who they hate. It could easily be France next. They hate democracy, they hate capitalism, the west and ALL other faiths they even hate other Arab nations. They only care about there own twisted ideals. The British government are in no way at all to blame for this (And I'm someone who dislikes the government)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2005, 06:34:12 PM »

Moose...no no no no no. Al Quaeda will attack ANY nation it disagrees with. They don't differentiate between pro and anti Iraq war nations in who they hate. It could easily be France next. They hate democracy, they hate capitalism, the west and ALL other faiths they even hate other Arab nations. They only care about there own twisted ideals. The British government are in no way at all to blame for this (And I'm someone who dislikes the government)

Amen to that Fleitch.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2005, 07:05:11 PM »

Absolutely.  It is obscene to imply moral equivalency between a western government like the British and a group of muslim terrorists.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2005, 07:39:38 PM »

Absolutely.  It is obscene to imply moral equivalency between a western government like the British and a group of muslim terrorists.

I agree, we may have declared a war on Al-Qaeda, but instead of them declaring war on the United States, like in normal war, they declared war on the people of the US. There's a huge difference.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2005, 07:51:43 PM »

I agree, we may have declared a war on Al-Qaeda, but instead of them declaring war on the United States, like in normal war, they declared war on the people of the US. There's a huge difference.

We didn't declare war on Al-Qaeda.  They declared war on us.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2005, 08:21:30 PM »

They did, but we declared back. We are, by our admission, waging a War on Terror. Al-Qaeda is part of terror. They "started it", but I believe we have declared war on them, just not in the way we would were we in a more typical war.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2005, 10:22:16 PM »

Really? When?

9/11/01
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2005, 10:23:43 PM »

Really? When?

I believe when you attack a nation or its national interests it is usually considered a declaration of war.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2005, 10:27:10 PM »

I frown, very deeply upon any attempt to excuse these actions.  You have just done that, by saying that they were related to the actions of the British government.  So, you think this is proper response to those actions.  Shame on you.

I actually agree with Joe. The attacks were horrible, and those people did not deserve to die. But the actions of the British government are to blame just as much as the actions of Al-Queda. They are at war - you know - when two groups fight each other. The british attack al-queda, and al-queda attack.....the british.

I cannot believe that you are acctually equating the Brits with terrorists, first off, secondly, the terrorists are the ones who fired the first shots.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2005, 10:30:10 PM »

Hear Hear.  In fact, France and Germany are pretty much to only major players who have not been attacked yet.  I would expect them to be next.  I think it is amazing how people forget that al Quida related groups specifically targeted an individual (Van Gogh) who never fired a shot at them by brutally cutting his head off in the streets of his home country.  This has nothing to do with what we do or what we will do in the future.  If we back down, they'll just hit us harder.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2005, 10:30:49 PM »

I frown, very deeply upon any attempt to excuse these actions.  You have just done that, by saying that they were related to the actions of the British government.  So, you think this is proper response to those actions.  Shame on you.

I actually agree with Joe. The attacks were horrible, and those people did not deserve to die. But the actions of the British government are to blame just as much as the actions of Al-Queda. They are at war - you know - when two groups fight each other. The british attack al-queda, and al-queda attack.....the british.

I cannot believe that you are acctually equating the Brits with terrorists, first off, secondly, the terrorists are the ones who fired the first shots.

Yeah sorry bout that. I recently heard Bush speak defending Iraq, and he used "al-queda" as a reason and for some strange reason I got them mixed up as the group we are fighting in Iraq rather than the group that attacked us on 9/11. I don't even know how I can get something so basic mixed up. I apologize for my stupid mistake (blushes...runs....hides)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2005, 10:33:06 PM »

Yeah sorry bout that. I recently heard Bush speak defending Iraq, and he used "al-queda" as a reason and for some strange reason I got them mixed up as the group we are fighting in Iraq rather than the group that attacked us on 9/11. I don't even know how I can get something so basic mixed up. I apologize for my stupid mistake (blushes...runs....hides)

And, we go back to blaming Bush.  Gee, that didn't take many posts.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2005, 03:15:08 AM »

I'd like to point out that some of the bombs went off in a heavily Bangladeshi (and as a result Muslim) area... and another one went off in the middle of Britain's largest Arab community (Edgeware Road).

And here's the point; the Terrorists would have known that. If you stick a bomb in Edgeward Road station you know your going to kill Arabs. If you stick a bomb in Aldgate East station you know that your going to kill Bangladeshis.

Think about that for a minute

These people are just a bunch of f***ing sadistic serial killers
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2005, 05:52:38 AM »

Hear Hear.  In fact, France and Germany are pretty much to only major players who have not been attacked yet.  I would expect them to be next.  I think it is amazing how people forget that al Quida related groups specifically targeted an individual (Van Gogh) who never fired a shot at them by brutally cutting his head off in the streets of his home country.  This has nothing to do with what we do or what we will do in the future.  If we back down, they'll just hit us harder.

Yes, I agree.

I find it absolutely pathetic and sickening that some people who call themselves Americans hate President Bush more than they hate the perpetrators of these terrorist acts, and hate President Bush more than they love America.  People like this we don't need.  They will find a way to blame President Bush for anything bad that happens.  I guess 9-11 happened because of Iraq and Afghanistan.  Oops, I forgot; 9-11 came first.  There goes that argument.

People who favor appeasement of evil are tragically wrong, and if we listen to them, we will come to grief.  They deny that they favor appeasement of evil; they say simply that we should use different means to fight evil, and have a leader who would do things differently.  But they never actually say what should be done, only what shouldn't be done.  There's a simple reason for that -- they really don't believe in doing anything.  They want to appease evil, and think al-Qaeda will go away if we're nice to them.  These people are not human, and will not be appeased.  They will only hit us harder unless we kill them all.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2005, 07:45:01 AM »

I'd like to point out that some of the bombs went off in a heavily Bangladeshi (and as a result Muslim) area... and another one went off in the middle of Britain's largest Arab community (Edgeware Road).

And here's the point; the Terrorists would have known that. If you stick a bomb in Edgeward Road station you know your going to kill Arabs. If you stick a bomb in Aldgate East station you know that your going to kill Bangladeshis.

Think about that for a minute

These people are just a bunch of f***ing sadistic serial killers

They think that Muslims who don't support their cause are just as bad as everyone else, IIRC.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies