At this point, can anyone else win?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:30:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  At this point, can anyone else win?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: At this point, can anyone else win?  (Read 6350 times)
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2003, 05:15:17 PM »

I'm 20 years old and this is really the first primary that I've paid close attention to.  The last, in 2000, wasn't that exciting since everybody with half a brain already knew which candidate would win their respective primaries long before the first vote was cast.

It's a bit more interesting this time around, for me anyway, because there's now 9 candidates fighting for the nomination.  I know if the election were held today, all indications are that Dean would win.

My question is, at this stage in the primary race can another candidate actually begin to overcome Dean in the polls and beat him in the election - even with Iowa and N.H. less than a month away?  I guess all things are possible in politics (after all, Bill Clinton was elected--twice), but is there a situation any of you see where an anti-Dean candidate could win the nomination?  Any way that Dean could drop so low in the polls that quickly to cost him the nomination?
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2003, 05:19:55 PM »

Clinton, Bush, and Dukakis all lost New Hampshire and won the nominations.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2003, 05:24:08 PM »

... and Dole, and Mondale, and McGovern, and Goldwater, and Stevenson...
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2003, 05:27:16 PM »

True, but N.H. isn't the only key state Dean is currently leading in.  In fact, Dean now leads in all early states, at least the ones I've found polls for.  It would take a lot to knock Dean off now, I think.  Do you see it differently?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2003, 06:30:30 PM »

Unless something unforseen happens, Dean is the nominee.  Clark is probably running second and could catch dean, but I doubt it.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2003, 08:20:48 PM »

I'm 20 years old and this is really the first primary that I've paid close attention to.  The last, in 2000, wasn't that exciting since everybody with half a brain already knew which candidate would win their respective primaries long before the first vote was cast.

It's a bit more interesting this time around, for me anyway, because there's now 9 candidates fighting for the nomination.  I know if the election were held today, all indications are that Dean would win.

My question is, at this stage in the primary race can another candidate actually begin to overcome Dean in the polls and beat him in the election - even with Iowa and N.H. less than a month away?  I guess all things are possible in politics (after all, Bill Clinton was elected--twice), but is there a situation any of you see where an anti-Dean candidate could win the nomination?  Any way that Dean could drop so low in the polls that quickly to cost him the nomination?
Well, there could be a situation where if things get worse in Iraq, more deaths these last few days have occured, that can galvanize Dean's chances of getting the nomination. However, Clark is more than qualified to be Commander and Chief. Both candidates would start looking real good.
TomAtPitt
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2003, 10:15:51 PM »

Yes, another candidate could still win. While Dean is leading, he still is not polling a majority of the vote in any state. The early primaries should provide eventually for someone to arise as a clear challenger to Dean for the nomination. Once that happens, there will be alot of rallying to that candidate as there are many people in the Democratic Party who don't like him(calling the DLC which Clinton once headed the Republican wing of the Democratic Party didn't help) and many who are concerned about Dean's electability. In fact, I would predict at the end of the day Dean won't win the nomination.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003, 10:17:25 PM »

Yes, another candidate could still win. While Dean is leading, he still is not polling a majority of the vote in any state. The early primaries should provide eventually for someone to arise as a clear challenger to Dean for the nomination. Once that happens, there will be alot of rallying to that candidate as there are many people in the Democratic Party who don't like him(calling the DLC which Clinton once headed the Republican wing of the Democratic Party didn't help) and many who are concerned about Dean's electability. In fact, I would predict at the end of the day Dean won't win the nomination.

How much you wanna bet?
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2003, 10:43:39 PM »

A month ago I just couldn't visualize the Democrats jumping off a cliff with Dean.  It was just too irrational to be true.  However, I'm finally convinced they are really, really going to do it.  Hard to believe any political party could be this suicidal.  Well, I guess they've done it before - 72 for example.

The only downside for our side is that Dean is going to can Terry McAulliffe.  Lord, I'm going to miss that guy.  He was sure great for the Republican Party.
StevenNick
StevenNick99

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003, 01:32:10 AM »

They weren't running in ridiculously front-loaded primaries, though.  If Dean wins NH and Iowa, I just don't see that there is any time to stop Dean.  The "Big Mo" will propel him too far too fast for anyone to catch him.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2003, 06:57:09 AM »

Everything is possible, but Dean's chances of winning are very, very high. Something special probably needs to happen. Still, Iowa and NH are small, it doesnt take a lot of voters to change their minds, in order for the results to change. And if Dean would lose these two, or even one of them, I think it could really hurt his image as front-runner, which is the main thing going for him anyway.
NorthernDog
Rookie

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2003, 08:39:22 AM »

Dean's supporters seem more highly committed to their candidate than the other's supporters. As long as the "anti-Dean" movement is splintered between 5 others, Dean will win the nomination with support from  less than half of the primary voters.   We have an interesting 60 days ahead of us!
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2003, 11:42:36 AM »

Dean should win but the other canidates will give him a run for his money.
Not all of the other candidates can give Dean a run for his money. Clark, Lieberman, and Gephadt can, but the rest, no.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2003, 03:10:59 PM »

They weren't running in ridiculously front-loaded primaries, though.  If Dean wins NH and Iowa, I just don't see that there is any time to stop Dean.  The "Big Mo" will propel him too far too fast for anyone to catch him.
Clark could win on Feb 2 and have a chance, but I don't see it happening.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2003, 03:28:28 PM »

Why don't you see it hapening MiamiU?
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2003, 03:30:37 PM »

Because clark is trailing or is neck and neck is most of the states he HAS to win. (OK, AZ, SC)
agcatter
agcat
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2003, 09:26:46 PM »

.....in France.
jravnsbo

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2003, 12:11:26 AM »

A dean loss to Gephardt in IA, would be easiest scenario.  It would galvanize Gephardt's campaign and be a major surprise as Dean is now EXPECTED to win.  

jravnsbo

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2003, 12:16:28 AM »

Openly laughing , good one.

I was thinking the other day of a comment Dean made ( Yes I know there are many!) but he talked about how he narrowly won his last election in Vermont because of signing the civil unions bill.  Yeah so I guess with a close win by a liberal ina  lieral state he decided to run nationally harder to the left, yeah that makes sense.

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2003, 08:34:02 AM »

I was thinking the other day of a comment Dean made ( Yes I know there are many!) but he talked about how he narrowly won his last election in Vermont because of signing the civil unions bill.  Yeah so I guess with a close win by a liberal ina  lieral state he decided to run nationally harder to the left, yeah that makes sense.

Yeah, good timing there.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2003, 12:10:02 PM »

I just wish he'd move more to the center. I still won't support him, because that would only be the perception he wants to portray of himself. Once he got the nomination, he'd swing hard left again.
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2003, 12:12:50 PM »

In the polls that I've seen, Dean is leading most of the Feb. 3 states.  These include Arizona, Delaware, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and South Carolina.  Gephardt leads in his home state of Missouri.  I haven't seen a poll for North Dakota.  Furthermore, the states that closely follow the Feb. 3 primaries (those on the 7th, 8th, and 10th) all seem to be going to Dean, according to the polls anyway.

Clark just doesn't have a breakthrough state, the way I see it.  He's not really *leading* anywhere.  In some states, like South Carolina, he's running just behind Dean or neck and neck with Dean...but after Dean gets Iowa, N.H., etc, that'll push him higher in S.C., leaving Clark and others trailing behind.

But then again, this is the first primary election I've really watched closely.  I could be way off.
jravnsbo

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2003, 12:20:20 PM »

Sounds about right.  Dean wins the first 2 he will look inevitable and get a boost from the wins and free media.

ND is favoring Gephardt and is expected to win it if (big IF) he survives Iowa.

In the polls that I've seen, Dean is leading most of the Feb. 3 states.  These include Arizona, Delaware, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and South Carolina.  Gephardt leads in his home state of Missouri.  I haven't seen a poll for North Dakota.  Furthermore, the states that closely follow the Feb. 3 primaries (those on the 7th, 8th, and 10th) all seem to be going to Dean, according to the polls anyway.

Clark just doesn't have a breakthrough state, the way I see it.  He's not really *leading* anywhere.  In some states, like South Carolina, he's running just behind Dean or neck and neck with Dean...but after Dean gets Iowa, N.H., etc, that'll push him higher in S.C., leaving Clark and others trailing behind.

But then again, this is the first primary election I've really watched closely.  I could be way off.
Wakie
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2003, 12:41:05 PM »

This campaign is really just in its infancy.  Sure, Dean leads in the polls with about 25% of likely Democrats, but what happens when some of the other candidates drop?

A lot of folks feel that it was Dean who cranked up the negative rhetoric by attacking Leiberman, Gephardt, Kerry, and Edwards for voting in favor of the war resolution.  It will be hard for supporters of those candidates to go over to Dean.  More likely they will go to which ever one of them which is left OR to Clark.
jravnsbo

« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2003, 12:51:04 PM »

That is the huge debate Dem face.  If they drop dean will he break away?  see Dean as indpendant thread.

Dems should have dropped out and gotten behind a centrist candidate long before this.  Now I think even if some drop out it will be after Dean wins a lot  of victories and it would be forced into the convention for a decision.

This campaign is really just in its infancy.  Sure, Dean leads in the polls with about 25% of likely Democrats, but what happens when some of the other candidates drop?

A lot of folks feel that it was Dean who cranked up the negative rhetoric by attacking Leiberman, Gephardt, Kerry, and Edwards for voting in favor of the war resolution.  It will be hard for supporters of those candidates to go over to Dean.  More likely they will go to which ever one of them which is left OR to Clark.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies