IA-Selzer/DMR/Mediacom: Trump +7
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:02:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  IA-Selzer/DMR/Mediacom: Trump +7
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: IA-Selzer/DMR/Mediacom: Trump +7  (Read 36310 times)
Fusionmunster

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 05, 2016, 08:16:08 PM »

I realize that it's heresy to question Selzer but this sample seems very, very off.

They use voter file, so the shares of registred R/D/I should be correct.

CNN shows the 2012 Iowa exit polls at 33 R, 33 D, 34 I.

Edit: Could just be dems identifying as independents, still wouldnt cause that much of a change.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #101 on: November 05, 2016, 08:16:32 PM »

you know if he is up 7 in iowa, he can't be that far back in WI, MI

Using this logic, Trump being under 50 in Utah points to a 40+ state win for Hillary.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #102 on: November 05, 2016, 08:16:45 PM »

I was right to say that Clinton should have pulled out of this state at least a week ago.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2016, 08:16:54 PM »

Oddly, this increased Hillary's chances of winning in 538.
‼realJohnEwards‼
MatteKudasai
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.87

« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2016, 08:18:40 PM »

Using this logic, Trump up six in Utah points to a 40+ state win for Hillary.
Yeah... the only other state outside her reach would be Wyoming, LOL. #BattlegroundWestVirginia
Fusionmunster

« Reply #105 on: November 05, 2016, 08:20:45 PM »

I realize that it's heresy to question Selzer but this sample seems very, very off.

Edit: Could just be dems identifying as independents, still wouldnt cause that much of a change.

Uh, wasn't he just talking about voters under age 35?

Oh, yep. I replied to LBP without reading the original post. 
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #106 on: November 05, 2016, 08:21:54 PM »

Why are Trumpies jerking off to this?  They're not close anywhere in the firewall.  I guess there is something symbolic about winning inbred corn farmers in the same way it is winning inbred miners.

Disgusting new low.

Grow a pair.
Do you love Akon by the way? I do.

My favorite chorus from Akon - Ghetto https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2nO86ZTs8I

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It reminds me of something. I of course mean Iowa. Iowa is like a ghetto, right?
They have a poverty and drug problem...
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2016, 08:22:54 PM »

Can people stop bashing Iowa as if everyone in the state supports Trump and is some inbred hick? I'm not happy about these polling results either and am quite disappointed in the majority of Iowans, but come on...

This is exactly what I've been predicting for a while now on Atlas. The White working class swinging hard for Trump is a very real phenomenon. But so too is the college educated White and minority vote swinging hard for Clinton. Mark my words, this is the future dynamic of our emerging political party system. Don't be entirely surprised if all Midwestern states end up more Trump friendly than expected (I still highly doubt he could win IL, MI, MN, or WI). Also expect him to perform incredibly well in Pennsylvania outside of the Philadelphia metro, in Upstate New York, rural New Hampshire, and in Northern Maine. At the same time, Clinton should perform well in Florida, North Carolina, Colorado, and Nevada. The only thing saving Pennsylvania is its southeastern part belonging to the Northeast Megalopolis.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2016, 08:33:39 PM »

Zero correlation.

Oddly, this increased Hillary's chances of winning in 538.

I quit following 538's "analysis" a long time ago--there's so little sense to any of it.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #109 on: November 05, 2016, 08:40:05 PM »

Uh, wasn't he just talking about voters under age 35?

Oh, yep. I replied to LBP without reading the original post. 

Ouch. I missed this part...
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #110 on: November 05, 2016, 08:42:12 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2016, 08:45:05 PM by Little Big BREXIT »

Can people stop bashing Iowa as if everyone in the state supports Trump and is some inbred hick? I'm not happy about these polling results either and am quite disappointed in the majority of Iowans, but come on...

This is exactly what I've been predicting for a while now on Atlas. The White working class swinging hard for Trump is a very real phenomenon. But so too is the college educated White and minority vote swinging hard for Clinton. Mark my words, this is the future dynamic of our emerging political party system. Don't be entirely surprised if all Midwestern states end up more Trump friendly than expected (I still highly doubt he could win IL, MI, MN, or WI). Also expect him to perform incredibly well in Pennsylvania outside of the Philadelphia metro, in Upstate New York, rural New Hampshire, and in Northern Maine. At the same time, Clinton should perform well in Florida, North Carolina, Colorado, and Nevada. The only thing saving Pennsylvania is its southeastern part belonging to the Northeast Megalopolis.

That's why early voting statistics might backfire a bit...
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2016, 08:42:58 PM »

i'm just wondering why he didn't go on calling every other state stupid considering how successful he's been in this state.
SunSt0rm
Netherlands

« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2016, 08:44:51 PM »

Wow, this is much more than I expected. I have a feeling that the complete midwestern is more closed than everyone realize. No wonder Clinton and Obama are going to Michigan on Monday
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2016, 08:50:47 PM »

I don't think you understand how polling works: it's possible for the registered share of those under the age of 35 to look very different than the sample contained in this poll. As far as I know, young Iowans are more Democratic than what is suggested here. Maybe their turnout will be awful but the GOP does not have a 7 point registration lead among young Iowans...
SunSt0rm
Netherlands

« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2016, 08:51:54 PM »

Harry Enten already saw some of it in 2014

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/something-funny-happened-in-iowa-and-it-may-hurt-democrats-in-2016/
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2016, 08:53:51 PM »

I don't think you understand how polling works: it's possible for the registered share of those under the age of 35 to look very different than the sample contained in this poll. As far as I know, young Iowans are more Democratic than what is suggested here. Maybe their turnout will be awful but the GOP does not have a 7 point registration lead among young Iowans...
As I alreade wrote, I missed part about "under 35".

But in theory, since they have all the statics (even how many registred R/D/I in each age group, gender and so on), they could reweight for it as well. But I don't think that it possible with such a small sample.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2016, 08:54:20 PM »

My Dad is from Iowa so I feel okay saying this: Iowa farmers are, uh, very simple people who are mocked by townies in Iowa for being dumb as rocks. They, not the "white working class", are the ones moving from Obama to Trump. Notice how well Obama did in southern Iowa. This is a region filled with smallholders who are kept afloat by subsidies and who have been hit hard by a downturn in commodity prices. This is where the swing will come from.

For the record, my late great-uncle was a corn farmer in Iowa who inherited the Hogan family farm and he sent me some books on the Civil War once so some of them are nice, I guess.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #117 on: November 05, 2016, 08:55:04 PM »

My Dad is from Iowa so I feel okay saying this: Iowa farmers are, uh, very simple people who are mocked by townies in Iowa. They, not the "white working class", are the ones moving from Obama to Trump. Notice how well Obama did in southern Iowa. This is a region filled with smallholders who are kept afloat by subsidies and who have been hit hard by a downturn in commodity prices. This is where the swing will come from.

It's widely known that farmers in Iowa are a class that's pretty dumb. Have you heard an Iowan speak? They sound like their brain has been soaked in corn syrup.

oh ffs, enough of this
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #118 on: November 05, 2016, 08:55:31 PM »

My Dad is from Iowa so I feel okay saying this: Iowa farmers are, uh, very simple people who are mocked by townies in Iowa. They, not the "white working class", are the ones moving from Obama to Trump. Notice how well Obama did in southern Iowa. This is a region filled with smallholders who are kept afloat by subsidies and who have been hit hard by a downturn in commodity prices. This is where the swing will come from.

It's widely known that farmers in Iowa are a class that's pretty dumb. Have you heard an Iowan speak? They sound like their brain has been soaked in corn syrup.
Stop
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #119 on: November 05, 2016, 08:57:53 PM »

oh ffs, enough of this

Literally half of my family (the white side) is from Iowa. There's a reason why literally 0 of them live in Iowa now: it is a state filled with simple-minded fools.
komodozer
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.09, S: -7.13

« Reply #120 on: November 05, 2016, 08:57:58 PM »

All those "hot" Midwestern farmers' daughters (and sons, if you swing that way)...have all gotten bachelors' degrees.

And they all moved here to DC, it seems.  
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #121 on: November 05, 2016, 08:58:05 PM »

My Dad is from Iowa so I feel okay saying this: Iowa farmers are, uh, very simple people who are mocked by townies in Iowa for being dumb as rocks. They, not the "white working class", are the ones moving from Obama to Trump. Notice how well Obama did in southern Iowa. This is a region filled with smallholders who are kept afloat by subsidies and who have been hit hard by a downturn in commodity prices. This is where the swing will come from.

For the record, my late great-uncle was a corn farmer in Iowa who inherited the Hogan family farm and he sent me some books on the Civil War once so some of them are nice, I guess.

lmao
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #122 on: November 05, 2016, 08:58:17 PM »

So we can bash Iowa now for being a Trump state? I guess we through out civility as well?

Anyways, we can afford to lose Iowa to Trump in exchange for flipping NC back
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #123 on: November 05, 2016, 09:01:00 PM »

My grandpa helped renovate this:

I'm pretty connected to Iowa whether I like it or not. Half of the buildings in my father's home town were built by my grandpa. I feel pretty entitled to hate my family's state for betraying me and voting for some crypto-fascist who said very hateful things about me and my mother. Idaho will do the same but, alas, Idaho has always treated me this way. Iowa doing this is dark. What a dumb state! I hope Clinton hits it hard and takes away their precious corn syrup and trashcan ethanol subsidies. Those lil rent-seeking farmers need to be punished for being brats.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #124 on: November 05, 2016, 09:01:30 PM »

oh ffs, enough of this

Literally half of my family (the white side) is from Iowa. There's a reason why literally 0 of them live in Iowa now: it is a state filled with simple-minded fools.

Iowa literally picks all its politicians based on how "personable" they are.  Whoever wins the beer contest wins Iowa.  It's one of the worst swing states for that reason alone.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies