Nicuraguan election, November 6th
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:23:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Nicuraguan election, November 6th
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Nicuraguan election, November 6th  (Read 699 times)
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 06, 2016, 05:10:49 PM »

seeing as the main opposition party is in disarray due to the Supreme Court disqualifying its leader and installing a regime patsy, Daniel "Paedo" Ortega will romp it; with one of the most one-sided elections in the state ever. There is still consistent growth, even with the collapse of Venezuela. No words yet about that canal project.

His wife is his running mate, cementing concerns he wants to make a dynasty. You may recall that the original Sandinistas originally rose up against an authoritarian dynastic family, but eh.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »

Is there a rift inside the sandinistas? Like a power struggle or something?

I'm just asking because in my experience, when a president put his wife on the ticket it was because she was the only one neutral that wouldn't alienate any of the factions. Of course this is Argentina but I wonder anyway.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2016, 06:35:05 PM »

Is there a rift inside the sandinistas? Like a power struggle or something?

I'm just asking because in my experience, when a president put his wife on the ticket it was because she was the only one neutral that wouldn't alienate any of the factions. Of course this is Argentina but I wonder anyway.

Reporting is spares. Most of the articles covering the election don't even mention the opposition candidates or if they do, just say that "most people don't even know the names of the opposition candidates" so if there is a split in the Sandinistas, it'd be hard to find out about.

There was a split before of course, decades ago, that led to the creation of the Sandinista Renovation Movement. It would have won elections in 2006 instead of the mainstream FLSN except that their leader died.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2016, 06:37:07 PM »

seeing as the main opposition party is in disarray due to the Supreme Court disqualifying its leader and installing a regime patsy, Daniel "Paedo" Ortega will romp it; with one of the most one-sided elections in the state ever. There is still consistent growth, even with the collapse of Venezuela. No words yet about that canal project.

His wife is his running mate, cementing concerns he wants to make a dynasty. You may recall that the original Sandinistas originally rose up against an authoritarian dynastic family, but eh.

Didn't know that it was a regime patsy but makes sense. Basically, dissident reformist members of the Liberal Party tried to take over the Independent Liberal Party, a barely existent party that was basically just a post office box, because they liked the name. The guy who owned the post office box went along at first but then once his party had a huge chunk of Congress, decided he didn't want to give up power.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies