Anyone else just want to drink, or cry?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:29:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anyone else just want to drink, or cry?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Anyone else just want to drink, or cry?  (Read 634 times)
TDantuono
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2016, 03:10:53 PM »

Paul Ryan getting his knife out for the New Deal...For Medicare...and we have to endure this for four years with nothing to stop him. What did we do to deserve this? Why is he such a sociopathic piece of garbage? Anyone else feeling just...deep despair?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 03:12:33 PM »

I'm feeling euphoria. Calm down and keep your concerns in the "sky is falling megathread."
TDantuono
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 03:23:22 PM »

I'm feeling euphoria. Calm down and keep your concerns in the "sky is falling megathread."

Euphoria? My mother who worked as a nurse for 30 years, who contracted Hepatitis C while working as a nurse, got a liver transplant in 2013. She survives by taking around ten different medications a day. Medicare makes it so that the cost of these medications, while still high, doesn't bankrupt her. If she didn't have these medications she would die. I am sure my mother did more for her fellow man than you, or Paul Ryan, ever did or ever will. She does not deserve to lose her coverage and die because you and people like you think Ayn Rand is God.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 03:27:08 PM »

People have forgotten that Paul Ryan is quite an ideologue.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 03:28:23 PM »

Euphoria? My mother who worked as a nurse for 30 years, who contracted Hepatitis C while working as a nurse, got a liver transplant in 2013. She survives by taking around ten different medications a day. Medicare makes it so that the cost of these medications, while still high, doesn't bankrupt her. If she didn't have these medications she would die. I am sure my mother did more for her fellow man than you, or Paul Ryan, ever did or ever will. She does not deserve to lose her coverage and die because you and people like you think Ayn Rand is God.
Uh, my brother relies on Medicaid too. It isn't going anywhere. Quit projecting your own weakness and lack of motivation on a great man like our big beautiful President-elect and get out and do something for your own candidate. You guys lost because of your own overconfidence, ineptness, and continuous ability to isolate your rapidly shrinking coalition from the rest of America which has all of the same problems that people like your mom who may or may not have been through what you are posting about. Get over yourselves. Trump voters have problems with their lives too. And that is why we elected him.

Well, yes, mainly because Clinton supporters and the media are driving this narrative that he is somehow a moderate compared to Trump. It is the opposite. You should have begun to panic when Boehner stepped down in hindsight.
TDantuono
Rookie
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 03:31:28 PM »

Uh, my brother relies on Medicaid too. It isn't going anywhere. Quit projecting your own weakness and lack of motivation on a great man like our big beautiful President-elect and get out and do something for your own candidate. You guys lost because of your own overconfidence, ineptness, and continuous ability to isolate your rapidly shrinking coalition from the rest of America which has all of the same problems that people like your mom who may or may not have been through what you are posting about. Get over yourselves. Trump voters have problems with their lives too. And that is why we elected him.

Trump has stated he wants to block grant Medicaid to the states in his 100 Day Action Plan. I did not support Hillary. I did note vote for either because I could not morally bring myself to support either. This is not about victory or defeat. This is about common human compassion that transcends party lines.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 03:35:25 PM »

Looks like Sanchez is euphoric at the probability of his brother losing Medicaid. Not surprising.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 04:05:28 PM »

Paul Ryan getting his knife out for the New Deal...For Medicare...and we have to endure this for four years with nothing to stop him. What did we do to deserve this? Why is he such a sociopathic piece of garbage? Anyone else feeling just...deep despair?

Half of one branch (let alone one person) cannot do anything alone.  Just like at the start of the Obama administration, just because you have Congress and the Presidency doesn't mean you can pass whatever you want.  There is still a lot of compromise that has to occur because no one party is homogeneous.  There are many different opinions and philosophies. 

Besides, it would only be for two years since you do not know what the midterm elections have in store. 
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 04:10:03 PM »

Half of one branch (let alone one person) cannot do anything alone.  Just like at the start of the Obama administration, just because you have Congress and the Presidency doesn't mean you can pass whatever you want.  There is still a lot of compromise that has to occur because no one party is homogeneous.  There are many different opinions and philosophies. 

Besides, it would only be for two years since you do not know what the midterm elections have in store. 
Thank you for being a voice of reason, modu.  And welcome back.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 04:12:08 PM »

Thank you for being a voice of reason, modu.  And welcome back.

Thanks bud.  It's a rare day where I can get online.  Smiley
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 04:13:56 PM »

Well, yes, mainly because Clinton supporters and the media are driving this narrative that he is somehow a moderate compared to Trump. It is the opposite. You should have begun to panic when Boehner stepped down in hindsight.

Yes. Trump/Ryan/McConnell are going to make sure YOUR brother keeps his health insurance. You know you've been played, right? Every indication is that they are going to try and gut what they can. If they succeed, GOOD LUCK!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 04:15:13 PM »

Looks like Sanchez is euphoric at the probability of his brother losing Medicaid. Not surprising.
Ironic considering that you voted for the Romney/Ryan ticket which was probably the most openly anti-poor ticket in history. Nice to see that you're not above picking on my autistic brother.

Yes. Trump/Ryan/McConnell are going to make sure YOUR brother keeps his health insurance. You know you've been played, right? Every indication is that they are going to try and gut what they can. If they succeed, GOOD LUCK!
Every indication is that you seem to wanting this to happen to our family rather than predicting it.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 04:33:49 PM »

No. If you are really that disgusted at the prospect of President Breitbart, now is the time to take out the machetes and the assegais. Crying in your beer simply will not do.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 04:35:34 PM »

No. If you are really that disgusted at the prospect of President Breitbart, now is the time to take out the machetes and the assegais. Crying in your beer simply will not do.
Tough guy.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2016, 04:54:47 PM »

Unless Trump and the Republicans make such an utter and complete mess of things and quickly, we know that the GOP will retain control of the Senate. There are at most 2 Class 1 Senate seats that the Democrats could hope to take from the Republicans (Nevada and Arizona) as there's no way the other 6 seats the Republicans hold are anything other than utterly safe right now.  When you hold 25 of 33 seats, there's little room for improvement.  The only other option is that the Democrats win a seat or two by special election, but even so, they'll have a tough time holding onto all they got.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2016, 04:58:30 PM »

Unless Trump and the Republicans make such an utter and complete mess of things and quickly, we know that the GOP will retain control of the Senate. There are at most 2 Class 1 Senate seats that the Democrats could hope to take from the Republicans (Nevada and Arizona) as there's no way the other 6 seats the Republicans hold are anything other than utterly safe right now.  When you hold 25 of 33 seats, there's little room for improvement.  The only other option is that the Democrats win a seat or two by special election, but even so, they'll have a tough time holding onto all they got.

True, but with such a slim majority in the Senate, the Republicans will have a hard time gaining the needed votes on anything "radical", and on top of that, they definitely won't reach any filibuster-proof majorities.  As a result (much like Obamacare), anything making its way out of the Congress will be watered-down from what would otherwise be desired.
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2016, 05:15:36 PM »

Ironic considering that you voted for the Romney/Ryan ticket which was probably the most openly anti-poor ticket in history. Nice to see that you're not above picking on my autistic brother.

Every indication is that you seem to wanting this to happen to our family rather than predicting it.
You either lack critical thinking skills or refuse to use them. I never implied nor said those things and never would. I think everyone deserves equal access to affordable healthcare and I do not mind sacrificing a little to help those that do not have the means to help themselves. I just simply pointed out the realities of the current situation, which you fail to acknowledge. Nice way to play victim there.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2016, 08:27:02 PM »

The Republican Party is headed on a crash course with economics and demography. They made a Faustian bargain with the devil, in a sense. They made a bet on doubling down on working class white voters and made the gamble there's enough white voters to win over the next decade.

Trump's election did something no other Republican president's election would have. It sealed that bargain and puts the GOP on a decade long trajectory that will end with realignment towards the Democrats. In essence, the GOP agreed to maybe a decade, maybe 12 year's worth of rule but agreed to give up the next 50 after that. Politics in American life tends to be on 50 year cycles. (Sometimes, shorter, sometimes longer).

That said, it is a fatal mistake that the GOP elected Trump in the short term. President Trump now has two GOP's - the limited government intellectual class and the new dominant working class base. Trust me, neither likes each other, and President Trump does not possess the political skills to give both just enough power to competently govern. His Presidency will be modeled on Harding's but given the disparate factions ruling the GOP, Trump will barely control his party. Between being a first time politician and not really understanding the federal bureaucracy, Trump will be stymied within his first two years. As he grows frustrated and stymied, other power centers will begin to take center stage and he will become a captive president, held captive by dysfunction and stagnation. Oh, also, the capital will recognize he lost the popular vote by 1.2%

Economically, between now and 2024, the GOP will try their usual economic strategy of tax cuts and deficit spending and deregulation to goose the economy. It won't work because honestly, these tools are outdated to handle the economic situation and wage growth and deflation is a major issue, not inflation. So the GOP strategies will fail and the GOP, unable to do anything, will double down on these strategies to try to get the economy going. Trump will do it, Pence will do it, and they will try their hardest to enact these policies. This is typical for aging majorities that are on their way out.

Back to the Democrats.

Bernie Sanders is a crucial figure as is Barack Obama. Eventually the Democratic Party will synthesize the two visions that they both had into one unifying agenda and platform. That will end up being THE crucial step setting the framework for the dominant Democratic majority, which will rule from around 2024-2030 to 2065-2070. The downside, the Democrats may lose 2020 and enter civil war but they will eventually get the synthesis right and the next time they build a majority in Congress, it will last.

Working class whites from the Midwest, upscale college grads and post-grads, and minorities will form the backbone of this new pluralistic and technocratic majority. By the latest statistics, America is like 61% white, and minorities made up 30% of the electorate in the exit polls.
The economic changes is what prevents the GOP from settling in and polarizing the white vote. Trump may win re-election and top out at 61-62% of the white vote, but economic forces will make sure that a sizable chunk of whites will vote Democratic. (the same forces and the fact whites will make up 62-64% of the electorate in 2024-2028 means the realigning president will be a white male).

We will likely spend our middle ages and our older years under a string of liberal governments (both Democratic and Republican). The prevailing Reagan orthodoxy will be replaced by an Obama-Sanders synthesis that prioritizes IT, renewables, technology, and the Silicon Valley sector. This is what the GOP has foreclosed on appealing to with Trump's Presidency.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2016, 08:31:09 PM »

Oh it'll happen. Between the ideological Republicans and Trump being a figurehead as President, it will. You did vote for it, though, so honestly, you shouldn't express shock or surprise when it happens. Trump voters will be surprised that their lives will not appreciably improve in the next four years, just as Obama voters were surprised that they didn't live in the Elysian fields in 2016.

"Victorious deplorable" you may be but in the end, Trump will not really help you or your brother. Status quo economy, status quo government will largely prevail if not reduced.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 08:31:46 PM »

not anymore.

the republicans - especially ryan - are forwarding a REALLY unpopular agenda.....i say: let's have it.

since we can't stop them anyway, let them screw all the little people who voted for the first time just to give them the chance to kill the minimal welfare state of the US.

and if trump blocks those notions and instead pushes through a nationalist big government program.....even better.

would maybe help the country and at the same time drive the republican establishment crazy.

ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 09:08:08 PM »

People need to toughen up. Trump will be a disappointment to his most hardcore supporters. He is a moderate at heart and will soon learn, if he hasn't realized already, that much of what he promised during his campaign will be very difficult to accomplish. I believe he will improve a lot of things in this country, but reality is slowly setting in on others. He made promises that many of us know he can't keep--similar to the many promises Obama was unable to accomplish. He isn't going to pursue charges against Clinton, he isn't going to do a lot of things and for that reason he may not be so bad after all.

he has got 2 advantages compared to obama.

1) he owns the republican party and its politicans, from ryan to the freedom caucus, are afraid like mad to be punished by his voters.

2) the dems are a center-left compromise party, looking for each opening to be important.

i am pretty sure, with the republican obstructionism cancelled, there could be a path to go forward.

Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 09:14:24 PM »

People need to toughen up. Trump will be a disappointment to his most hardcore supporters. He is a moderate at heart and will soon learn, if he hasn't realized already, that much of what he promised during his campaign will be very difficult to accomplish. I believe he will improve a lot of things in this country, but reality is slowly setting in on others. He made promises that many of us know he can't keep--similar to the many promises Obama was unable to accomplish. He isn't going to pursue charges against Clinton, he isn't going to do a lot of things and for that reason he may not be so bad after all.

Where were you when tried to explain it for stupid Red Hacks? Sad
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 09:30:41 PM »

Where were you when racist violence and hatred, especially in school institutions, but to a high degree also elsewhere, rised by 500% due to Trump's extreme hate ideology? You think generations of extreme mobbing/hating on one another starting from kindergarten and lasting for as long as you keep studying and probably for the rest of the life, is the price worth paying for getting this piece of sh**t into the White House who will satisfy noone, including yourself? If you think getting a society that is 500% worse than the society we were used to is the price to pay in order to elect a sociopath and extreme pedophile for presidency, you're mentally insane.
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 10:01:04 PM »

My god what is wrong with you? You're calling people stupid and bitches. If you're proud of this kind of talking then fine. It's like you're constantly insulting and picking fights without contributing a damn thing. You're certainly not representing your country very well on here at all.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 10:33:14 PM »

I don't drink and seldom cry, but I sure could use a joint right now.

Good thing it's become legal in my state. I might have to stay stoned for the next 4 years straight.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies