How will Trump govern in comparison to his campaign ideals?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:20:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How will Trump govern in comparison to his campaign ideals?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: skip
Generally more liberal

Generally more conservative

About the same

Other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: How will Trump govern in comparison to his campaign ideals?  (Read 636 times)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:04:03 PM »
« edited: November 11, 2016, 07:09:35 PM by #TheShadowyAbyss »

I think he'll be more moderate on his economic policies - I.e, he won't repeal Obamacare (he can't really either given he needs 60 votes on the more important aspects of the law).

I don't see him actually deporting all the people he claims he will, I also don't see the wall being built either.

Foreign policy - that could really go in any direction, I do fear his temperament could cause some serious issues down the road with certain world leaders - namely Putin, Merkel, May, Trudeau, Khameini + Rouhani and Nieto

How will Trump govern in your opinion?
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 07:11:23 PM »

I think he'll be more moderate on his economic policies - I.e, he won't repeal Obamacare (he can't really either given he needs 60 votes on the more important aspects of the law).

I don't see him actually deporting all the people he claims he will, I also don't see the wall being built either.

Foreign policy - that could really go in any direction, I do fear his temperament could cause some serious issues down the road with certain world leaders - namely Putin, Merkel, May, Trudeau and Nieto.

How will Trump govern in your opinion?

His supporters will wake up and realize they've been duped and turn on him within a year. They don't get a wall and their steel factories back, they might just start rioting in the streets.

The WSJ article about him being open to keeping provisions in the ACA is already stirring up backlash with his supporters who expect nothing short of repeal.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 07:54:33 PM »

Not necessarily more liberal, but I expect him to be a pragmatic compromiser.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 07:55:58 PM »

Hilariously enough, he'll likely govern largely by polling data.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 08:02:30 PM »

not necessarily "liberal" but without any question "statist"....big-government everywhere.

this means: not conservative in the US way.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 08:27:30 PM »

He'll make sure he'll give the biggest tax cuts for the extremely superwealthy billionaires like himself ever seen in US history, or in the entire world for that matter. This in fact stands very explicitly in his election manifest, that he will more or less abolish all taxes for the super rich in order to make the bottom ants at the very bottom of Homer Simpson's Super Dome, even more miserable and hopeless. Scapegoating is in fact a century old technique in the Republican playbook. It goes like this: Campaign straight towards the lost, disillusioned working class trying to win them over with empty promises that you will make their lives great again and bring their old jobs back, without going into specifics or coming up with proposals of how to actually do it. Then, when you're actually in power, you reverse every single campaign promise you ever made on the campaign trail and instead curter to your inner circle. And instead of thinking one single second on the ultra poor while you are president, you ensure to do everything in your power in order to make sure that the ultra rich can quite easily become ten times richer within the matter of a few months, or at worst case scenario, a few years. That's exactly Trump's playbook more or less word for word.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 08:34:30 PM »

Trump will be an ineffective president who will quickly get in over his head. He did in the campaign and resorted to blustering his way through it and won because of late breaking voters going to him, disgusted with the Clintons and the economic status quo in their communities.

We've had two presidents try to break Washington gridlock and two of them have failed to date. Each time, partisans keep hoping their man will be THE guy to break it finally and bring Washington together and usher in a golden age of economic harmony and functional government.

Each time, they're disappointed because the stalemate in this country continues to deepen and the country ends up blaming the president for the lack of advancement in economic growth and rising living standards.

Trump is worse than most presidents because he has no political experience - so what that means is that as President, he'll quickly be stymied and fail to make a ton of ground on his agenda. Think Carter in 1977. Between the scandals and the controversies and the grind of the presidency, Trump will be overwhelmed by 2018.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 08:39:19 PM »

Incidentally the only way to win and pass an agenda is to have popular support for it and a majority behind your agenda as well as the political skills needed to herd it through Congress and to "cut deals." That among other things require you to...win the popular vote and to have decent relationships with your members in Congress as well as a political team that is capable of managing Capitol Hill.

Translation: The Donald ain't got it.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 08:40:27 PM »

More or less. I think he genuinely is mercantilist and loves loves LOVES the idea of an infrastructure bonanza, just like his real estate background. I don't see why we shouldn't take him at face value that the few consistent things he's supported are his genuine views
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 08:47:30 PM »

He's gonna go after the leftists because they are acting like animals.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 09:44:14 PM »

We've had two presidents try to break Washington gridlock and two of them have failed to date. Each time, partisans keep hoping their man will be THE guy to break it finally and bring Washington together and usher in a golden age of economic harmony and functional government.

The big difference now is that there is no gridlock anymore, as every single part of the government, from the very lowest dog catchers that Trump and Cruz are both in love with all up to the Supreme Court. There are like 15, if not 15 million, layers of governmental supervision between dogcatcher and Supreme Court justice, and not even a single one will be controlled by a Democrat or Democratic majority come February.  You just can't spin this no matter how much you'd love to.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 09:46:49 PM »

Animals you say, are you for some reason talking about Giuliani, Gingrich and Christie right now? What about Steve Bannon?
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 10:14:35 PM »

The big difference now is that there is no gridlock anymore, as every single part of the government, from the very lowest dog catchers that Trump and Cruz are both in love with all up to the Supreme Court. There are like 15, if not 15 million, layers of governmental supervision between dogcatcher and Supreme Court justice, and not even a single one will be controlled by a Democrat or Democratic majority come February.  You just can't spin this no matter how much you'd love to.

2009-2011
2002-2006
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2016, 11:10:45 PM »

Animals you say, are you for some reason talking about Giuliani, Gingrich and Christie right now? What about Steve Bannon?

Nah, just the hoodlums that are vandalizing Portland and similar places and saying bad things about Trump. Do they not realize that Portland and Oregon voted for the crook? Probably not given the demographics of who votes Democrat.

But here's the thing. Trump might be inclined to leave the hoodlums alone if they left him alone. But neither side can really fully control themselves and Trump is the only one with presidential powers and the DOJ gestapo.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 02:05:57 AM »

He's been elected as a populist with the support of working class whites, but I assume he'll govern as a normal Republican, so therefore I assume he'll be more conservative. Not conservative enough for many, I'm sure, but I'd be amazed if he actually pushes through agenda that benefits his support-base
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 02:35:01 AM »

He is a populist nationalist, so in some circumstances, he is going to differ greatly from Paul Ryan who has his own agenda.

Compromise was mentioned, and I think he will have to in order to get half his wishes.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 09:07:42 AM »

Trump will pick 2, maybe 3 or 4 SCOTUS. It will have a huge impact in 2-3 decades. So if Paul Ryan and GOP don't want to blow this chance, they will be Trump's Monica Lewinski under next 8 years.

Believe me, folks! The Art of the Deal Smiley
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 09:53:24 AM »

Nah, just the hoodlums that are vandalizing Portland and similar places and saying bad things about Trump. Do they not realize that Portland and Oregon voted for the crook? Probably not given the demographics of who votes Democrat.

But here's the thing. Trump might be inclined to leave the hoodlums alone if they left him alone. But neither side can really fully control themselves and Trump is the only one with presidential powers and the DOJ gestapo.

While I think protesting is silly at this time, not protesting a President because he might use thr Department of Justice against protesters seems a great reason to stand up to him and protest.

Seems you might enjoy the idea of protestors  being “investigated.” Perhsps you like the idea of some of them being quietly… “taken away” in the middle of the night, to not be heard from again too? Hmm.

Seems we might know where you stand in an authoritarian regime?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies