Question: Why are there so many foreigners posting on this board?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:49:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Question: Why are there so many foreigners posting on this board?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question: Why are there so many foreigners posting on this board?  (Read 531 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:51:13 PM »

I have been wondering this all along. I've only been posting here for a matter of months, so I really don't know the answer.

Why are so many foreigners so passionate about what's going on in our country?

Why do they care about what happens to immigration in our country? Or the courts? Or our tax system, for example?

What is it about the US that is so attractive for foreigners to spend so much time on our political forums?

Honest questions.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 08:00:38 PM »

- most important country of all

- leader of the west

- most exciting politics

- clear differences between the parties

- making a big house-of-coardish game out of politics which are usually more provincial and trite in small countries

- educated other politics nerds who are not into big-league conspiracy theories.

- whatever happens in the US also swaps over to europe.

- all politics are global! Tongue
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 08:12:16 PM »

Me, because Trump is important to all nationalists all over the world. And he is fun to watch.

ApatheticAustrian, because he is someone's sock Undecided
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 08:18:27 PM »

Me, because Trump is important to all nationalists all over the world. And he is fun to watch.

Why do you love nationalism so much? Did your mother beat you as a child?

Either you must have some psychological disturbances in your brain or something happened to you in your childhood, in order for you to become so insensitive to other people in your adulthood.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 08:23:03 PM »

Soros and the Mossad pay even better than Moscow and the weather down there is less chilly too!

Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 08:24:31 PM »

The same thing is happening in Australia. People are tired of the same political spin and being taken for granted. A lot of the things in the US election rang true with me personally.

I am not left or right. I am just plain and simple, "Anti-Establishment".

If it was Sanders vs Jeb Bush, I would have preferred Sanders.

A Trump presidency directly affects my employment given how our economy is tied to China. They are our largest export partner.

Why do they care about what happens to immigration in our country? Or the courts? Or our tax system, for example?

Immigration in Australia. Turnbull is trying to pass legislation right now that anyone who arrives here illegally can never be resettled here.

Your courts. Virginia is slowly teaching me the significance of the Supreme Court Justice selection process and why it is important, so I feel privileged that people are helping me learn.

The tarriff system against China will hurt Australia if China slows down.

What is it about the US that is so attractive for foreigners to spend so much time on our political forums?

Our major politicians are not social media identities with sexual indiscretions etc.

Whether you like the USA or not, the US election is by far the most entertaining election process on the planet. You are electing the leader of the free world.

Honest answers.

This forum is a class above other political forums where Donald Trump hacks fight Hillary Clinton hacks without any chance of intelligent discussion or debate.

The analysis presented here is not available to me in Australia.

Example:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/is-tiffany-trump-set-to-be-the-most-entertaining-presidents-daughter-ever/news-story/fd79b64008c905d58a9b1952cdfd9da1

That is all we get. We get it on the TV as well.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 08:48:44 PM »

This forum is a class above other political forums where Donald Trump hacks fight Hillary Clinton hacks without any chance of intelligent discussion or debate.

I think you're honestly one of the biggest Trump hacks I've ever seen in my life, so if you of all people are defending this forum for giving Trump haters just as much space as Trump enablers, that tells you something. I really hope it's not this bad, but if it is, it's really shocking. To me you are an extreme Trump supporter, but in the way you worded yourself above, it almost sounded like you prefer Hillary to the Evil One, which is quite mindblowing in itself.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 09:23:38 PM »

I lived in your country for many years, as a student (both undergraduate and graduate). My grandparents, actually, were US citizens (they are no longer alive) and I have many family members who still are.

But, thanks for asking. I will make sure that in the future I care a lot less.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 09:26:13 PM »

I lived in your country for many years, as a student (both undergraduate and graduate). My grandparents, actually, were US citizens (they are no longer alive) and I have many family members who still are.

hermit wants to build a careless wall.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 10:06:31 PM »

As others have said the US is the most important country on Earth at the moment, and it holds the most talked-about elections

I love politics

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 10:21:19 PM »

I appreciate the replies. Helps me understand what's going on with so many posters from other countries. Makes sense then. I didn't really realize that the politics in this country was so interesting to so many outsiders. Smiley

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2016, 10:23:34 PM »

You can care all you want, doesn't affect me. I was just so curious why I was seeing so many countries represented in this forum. I have a curious mind, unlike President-elect Trumpster.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2016, 10:27:17 PM »

The same thing is happening in Australia. People are tired of the same political spin and being taken for granted. A lot of the things in the US election rang true with me personally.

I am not left or right. I am just plain and simple, "Anti-Establishment".

If it was Sanders vs Jeb Bush, I would have preferred Sanders.

A Trump presidency directly affects my employment given how our economy is tied to China. They are our largest export partner.

Immigration in Australia. Turnbull is trying to pass legislation right now that anyone who arrives here illegally can never be resettled here.

Your courts. Virginia is slowly teaching me the significance of the Supreme Court Justice selection process and why it is important, so I feel privileged that people are helping me learn.

The tarriff system against China will hurt Australia if China slows down.

Our major politicians are not social media identities with sexual indiscretions etc.

Whether you like the USA or not, the US election is by far the most entertaining election process on the planet. You are electing the leader of the free world.

Honest answers.

The analysis presented here is not available to me in Australia.

Example:

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/is-tiffany-trump-set-to-be-the-most-entertaining-presidents-daughter-ever/news-story/fd79b64008c905d58a9b1952cdfd9da1

That is all we get. We get it on the TV as well.

Yes, that link was pretty bad stuff. Thank you for taking the time to post all this. I enjoyed the insight into Australia.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 02:16:00 AM »

We're all Americans really Smiley

But mainly, because your electoral system is like a giant game of Risk
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 05:23:46 AM »

- most important country of all

- leader of the west

- most exciting politics

- clear differences between the parties

- making a big house-of-coardish game out of politics which are usually more provincial and trite in small countries

- educated other politics nerds who are not into big-league conspiracy theories.

- whatever happens in the US also swaps over to europe.

- all politics are global! Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2016, 08:35:18 AM »

We're just more interesting than they are.
HannibalLecter
anti_trump
Rookie

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2016, 08:45:24 AM »

To show Americans that Nazis like that creature are a tiny minority over here.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2016, 08:57:47 AM »

We get a little bit of everything from abroad here. I guess the message for the Civil Rights movement or even to anti-Nazis in Europe is that the debate isn't over until it is over.

Refusing to redebate things like segregation and eugenics have made those things center-right issues again. Eugenics and segregation are seeming to follow the path of Creationism and Anti-Choice back into the mainstream.
HannibalLecter
anti_trump
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2016, 09:22:51 AM »

We get a little bit of everything from abroad here. I guess the message for the Civil Rights movement or even to anti-Nazis in Europe is that the debate isn't over until it is over.

Refusing to redebate things like segregation and eugenics have made those things center-right issues again. Eugenics and segregation are seeming to follow the path of Creationism and Anti-Choice back into the mainstream.

Fortunately not even the European far right believes in creationism. The other issues you listed are of far greater concern, however.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies