2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:34:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Gubernational elections: Who is running megathread  (Read 150692 times)
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« on: August 02, 2018, 10:41:14 PM »

ZIP. Bredesen has a decent shot at Senate, but statewide, Dean is a newbie and a “city boy”, he’ll struggle terribly elsewhere.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 10:47:58 PM »

Once again, Republican primary voters are hating on congresscritters - Diane Black is doing so poorly in this primary right now.

Best Tenn political news of the year. Lee is Uber-conservative, and scary to me, but Black is just an icky $wamp creature. So glad she lost!
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2018, 08:51:16 AM by TCash101 »

What is Bill Lee like? Is he far right? I really hope Karl Dean makes this a race.

Less far right then Diane Black (that's sure), but still conservative enough (no one else can win Republican primary in Tennessee)

I’m not sure I agree. He’s a hard right social conservative who wears his Christianity on his sleeves. On economics, I don’t know enough. His education platform seems to be “back to basics” and supportive of public schools, not a “CHOICE” monger,  but it’s pretty vague.

But Lee’s never held elective office, so really hard to tell with certainty.

I’ll vote for Dean, but i wasn’t a big fan while he was mayor; he was not that great for schools and teachers. He’s a Chamber if Commerce Democrat to be sure.

And on “no one else can win primary in Tennessee,” Lee is the most conservative to win a statewide primary since Bredesen’s 2006 opponent; other successful GOP nominees have been moderate patricians.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 07:15:21 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2018, 08:52:10 AM by TCash101 »

But. social conservatism and religiosity of Republican nominee in southern state is, surely, nothing new. I would be much more surprsed if it was NOT so...

Now you’re just stereotyping. I’m not speaking about any other southern state. Bill Lee touted his religiosity more than any successful (nominated) state-wide candidate  in Tennessee in the last 18 years. Harwell was by far the most moderate, while Boyd, who others characterized early on as moderate (and probably would have been in office), tried hard in ads and speeches to prove he was plenty conservative enough for Tennessee. He spent the campaign trying to dispel the myth he was moderate. Whether that was a ruse we won’t know. Black basically said “yeah, what Trump says” which might make her the most knee jerk partisan, but not the most conservative. Again, the most successful Republican nominees in recent years, namely Corker, Alexander, and Haslam, are more moderate patricians than dyed-in-the-wool conservatives. Much to the disappointment of many Tennessee movement conservatives, who are very happy with Lee and Blackburn. Black lost because of the perception that at her core, she’s out to use government to make the rich, including herself and her drug testing company husband, richer via big government. She lost because of that and that her negative ads against others backfired majorly. Lee touted his religiosity in the context of every social issue on the list, his rural roots, and had a positive, upbeat campaign that voters turned to as they grew disgusted by Black and Boyd’s mud slinging.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/tn-elections/2018/08/03/bill-lee-tennessee-governor-randy-boyd-diane-black/899615002/

But by far, the cornerstone of his campaign was Lee’s own personal story that he told at every town hall and forum across the state — his personal tragedy in the death of his first wife of 16 years, Carol Ann, and how it drew him closer to God.

“My faith is the most important thing in my life, and that won't change when I'm the governor," he said in one ad, set in front of the South Harpeth Church of Christ where Lee attended as a child.

"In recent times, too often the voice of the faithful has been made to feel increasingly unwelcome in the public square, and that's a mistake," he said. "The phrase 'separation of church and state' has been twisted. It was intended to keep the government out of church, but not to keep people of faith out of the government."

He said the governor’s office is a “calling.”
Even some of Lee's most high-profile supporters have deep connections to the faith community. Notable names include Christian music recording artist Michael W. Smith, for instance.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 08:04:20 AM »

Though I’ll admit, using the “Uber” prefix was hyperbole.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies