RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:35:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11
Author Topic: RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread  (Read 60943 times)
DPKdebator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: 3.65

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: March 01, 2017, 10:41:31 PM »

The pro-D swing in my area honestly baffles me for some reason (even though it shouldn't).
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2017, 11:07:28 PM »

The pro-D swing in my area honestly baffles me for some reason (even though it shouldn't).
I was most surprised by the south shore corner of Hingham, Norwell, Cohasset, and Scituate. Those are all usually heavily republican in governor and senate races. Western Norfolk County also took me by surprise since thats usually extremely republican
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2017, 12:00:17 AM »

I am *floored* that South Boston not only didn't swing hard to Trump, it actually swung hard to *Clinton*.

The rest is pretty unsurprising.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #128 on: March 02, 2017, 08:03:17 AM »

I am *floored* that South Boston not only didn't swing hard to Trump, it actually swung hard to *Clinton*.

The rest is pretty unsurprising.

Most of my family still lives in Southie. Unfortunately its not Whitey Bulger's town of working class Irish any more, the yuppie infestation is pretty severe there
VPH
vivaportugalhabs
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -0.17

« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2017, 10:40:43 AM »

Interesting that massive swing toward the Republicans in southern Bristol County. I always figured that area to be staunchly democratic especially in Fall River and New Bedford. Also the big swing to the Democrats in Northern Bristol. Cant help but notice my old hometown of Braintree having crazy swings both ways, toward the Republicans in the Hayward Street area in the north of town, and to the Dems on the West and in the Highlands (south)

Portuguese Americans were a bit late to follow Italian americans in swinging to the GOP. Trump managed to make many of them switch from lean democrat to lean republican in 2016.
Wouldn't call the population "lean Republican". Still voted largely for Hillary Clinton and they remain staunchly Democratic downballot.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2017, 11:43:59 AM »

Interesting that massive swing toward the Republicans in southern Bristol County. I always figured that area to be staunchly democratic especially in Fall River and New Bedford. Also the big swing to the Democrats in Northern Bristol. Cant help but notice my old hometown of Braintree having crazy swings both ways, toward the Republicans in the Hayward Street area in the north of town, and to the Dems on the West and in the Highlands (south)

Portuguese Americans were a bit late to follow Italian americans in swinging to the GOP. Trump managed to make many of them switch from lean democrat to lean republican in 2016.
Wouldn't call the population "lean Republican". Still voted largely for Hillary Clinton and they remain staunchly Democratic downballot.

Down ballot races in Mass can be misleading. The republicans rarely put up congressional candidates let alone a credible one. But I was amazed. To see Hillary only got 58 and 62 in Fall River and New Bedford compared to them being over 70 for Obama both times
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2017, 06:33:02 PM »

New Hampshire by precinct doesn't get you much more than a town map does:

Swing:
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2017, 02:56:19 PM »

Indiana:

Swing (approximate):
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2017, 05:07:59 PM »

Great work RI! That map is beautiful. That far southwestern corner of Hamilton County is very telling, that's the richest part of the state if I'm not mistaken, and I don't think it has ever been democrat before.
heatcharger
Junior Chimp
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -1.04, S: -0.24

« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2017, 09:59:05 PM »

Amazing how much ground Democrats have lost in Indiana in eight years. Indianapolis and its surrounding suburbs are swinging hard towards Democrats though.

Also, could you possibly make a swing map of Indiana and/or Virginia from 2008 to 2016? I would really love to see those.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2017, 12:09:11 AM »

Wow--- thanks for pulling this together in one of the toughest states in the Union to pull precinct level data from and incorporate into a visual map based format!

It would be extremely interesting to see the '08 Pres GE number for Indiana and the '08 > '16 swings, but this is data this is likely virtually impossible to obtain, unless someone like yourself or Alcon generated a map back in '08 to give us an idea...

Regardless, swing patterns appear eerily familiar.... Huge swings towards Trump in heavily rural & small town areas, and some decent swings towards Clinton in the relatively upscale areas around suburban Indianapolis (With many fewer voters than small town America).

RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #136 on: March 04, 2017, 12:27:34 AM »

It would be extremely interesting to see the '08 Pres GE number for Indiana and the '08 > '16 swings, but this is data this is likely virtually impossible to obtain, unless someone like yourself or Alcon generated a map back in '08 to give us an idea...

2008 data is actually some of the easiest to get. All I can say is to have a bit of patience... Good things are coming.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #137 on: March 04, 2017, 12:53:09 AM »

2008 data is actually some of the easiest to get. All I can say is to have a bit of patience... Good things are coming.

You are the best!!!! Smiley
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #138 on: March 04, 2017, 12:13:43 PM »

Trump also did really well in Wayne Township (blue collar mostly but pretty diverse township on the wet side of Marion County.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #139 on: March 04, 2017, 12:16:15 PM »

Has any headway been made on the Missouri map?

Missouri, and thus the national map, is a handful of counties from being completed.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #140 on: March 04, 2017, 12:25:43 PM »

Colorado:
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #141 on: March 04, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »

Colorado is interesting. What is the huge red area west of Denver?
Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: March 04, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2017, 01:47:24 PM by Tintrlvr »

I think you are referring to ski country - Aspen, Vail, Eagle, etc.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #143 on: March 04, 2017, 09:41:56 PM »

I figured.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #144 on: March 04, 2017, 10:02:01 PM »

And Boulder. Cant forget that. Cambridge in the Rockies
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #145 on: March 04, 2017, 10:55:36 PM »

Do you have the swing map for CA?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #146 on: March 05, 2017, 01:11:36 AM »

I had one, but I realized I made some errors when I created it. I haven't gotten around to remaking it yet, but I probably will do so some time this week.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #147 on: March 05, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2017, 12:55:04 PM by realisticidealist »

Colorado swing map:

I'm seeing a trend in a lot of these western swing maps: the areas swinging toward Hillary tend to be more white while the areas that are more Hispanic tend to be swinging toward Trump. Not that it proves anything, but still.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #148 on: March 05, 2017, 01:00:01 PM »

^That is really interesting, and the above map does seem to back that claim up, though I'm curious if there's anything special about that dark red precinct in the Southern part of the state.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #149 on: March 05, 2017, 01:01:37 PM »

RealisticIdealist, not sure if we have "met" on here but your work is stupendous. I noticed where you indicated that Missouri is one of the hardest states from which to collect precinct results. I'm just curious as to how you're going to go about getting this information. I know some county clerks publish their precinct results on their counties' websites (Cape Girardeau County being one such). I'm assuming, since the Secretary of State website does not seem to have precinct information, that you'll have to contact each individual county and have the county clerks get that information to you? Sounds like a tedious process seeing as how we have so many counties here. I tried to do this once where I e-mailed all the county clerks in Southeast Missouri asking for precinct level; very few clerks responded, but the ones who did and sent precinct level results were Phelps County (Rolla) and St. Francois County (Farmington). Scott County also publishes its results by precinct on its website.

Hope this assists you. I'm very much looking forward to seeing the finished product of our state! Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies