RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:53:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread  (Read 60946 times)
Skye
yeah_93
YaBB God
Venezuela

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: March 30, 2017, 06:36:13 PM »

Fantastic job, RI, tremendous, yuge.

Despite what FAKE NEWS latino decisions might tell you, it's obvious that Trump on bigly across the map.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #201 on: March 30, 2017, 06:39:16 PM »

This was before Carto.com, though - and I never tried putting a similar map up there.  I imagine Carto.com would charge an arm and a leg and/or crash under the server load were you to put a similar map with DDHQ-driven (instead of just Atlas or RRH-driven) traffic up there.

Carto said they'd charge $6000 a month to host the map given the traffic and detail. We had 75,000+ views in the first 20 minutes before the interactive crashed.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #202 on: March 30, 2017, 06:44:20 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2017, 06:46:49 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Is there a way that you could host an interactive map somewhere else but post it here and not elsewhere so we can use the map?

Anyways, congrats on the project, I bet you're going to get a full-time job working for the Upshot after this!

(This is a ridiculous request but I want the maps!!!!)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #203 on: March 30, 2017, 07:22:06 PM »
« Edited: March 30, 2017, 07:26:13 PM by cinyc »

The Washington Post's article lists their small counties (which, presumably, they considered rural) as Webb, Presidio, Starr, Hidalgo, Cameron, Zapata and Potter Counties.  Of those, Webb (Laredo), Hidalgo (McAllen/Pharr/Westlaco), Cameron (Brownsville/Harlingen) and Potter (Amarillo) counties contain significant cities and urban areas.  Their population would swamp the more rural counties on the list - Presidio (Marfa), Starr (Rio Grande City) and Zapata (Zapata).  So...
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #204 on: March 30, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »

Great stuff!
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2017, 08:07:04 PM »

This is exquisite.... a veritable work of art (As well as well a major contribution to the body of knowledge that lends greater ease towards interpretations of election data).
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #206 on: March 30, 2017, 09:16:16 PM »

Dang. NBC just shared this: http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/these-detailed-election-maps-can-show-your-neighborhood-s-vote-n740616?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

I tip my hat to you, RI. Smiley
chronicleiris
Rookie

« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2017, 06:20:56 AM »

Oh, golly congrats RI look at NBC!! This is amazing. By the way I got your map at a large-scale posted in my room Cheesy
Bismarck
Chancellor

« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2017, 10:33:24 AM »

This is a pretty specific question, but does anybody know what's up with that one strong democrat rural precinct in Illinois on the Indiana border up north right east of Kankakee?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #209 on: March 31, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »

This is a pretty specific question, but does anybody know what's up with that one strong democrat rural precinct in Illinois on the Indiana border up north right east of Kankakee?

That's Pembroke Township, which is 80% Black.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »

An insane amount of people online think that election maps are "misleading" because ... the country is not uniform in population density.

They would be misleading if they were used not to look at geographic patterns but instead to tell who won more total votes. But, good news, we've got Arabic numerals for that.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2017, 08:28:18 PM »

An insane amount of people online think that election maps are "misleading" because ... the country is not uniform in population density.

They would be misleading if they were used not to look at geographic patterns but instead to tell who won more total votes. But, good news, we've got Arabic numerals for that.

What's worse is that precinct maps actually do visually demonstrate population density through the density of precincts.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2017, 11:09:18 PM »

I have to admit though, a proportionally-shaped national precinct map would be pretty cool. Idk how one goes about creating cartograms anyway tho.

Btw, wikipedia says turnout dropped by 0.2% from 2012-2016. Is that true?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #213 on: April 01, 2017, 12:44:03 PM »

As I promised, here are the Atlas-colored maps:

2012-16 Swing
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #214 on: April 01, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »

Looks like the interactive is back up again.

Also, it appears that some numbers from 2012 are wrong in the St. Louis area.

Looking at Olivette, Missouri, in particular, you have majority African-American precincts with at least a few hundred people in them going for Obama by upwards of 70% (some in the 80s) in 2008, then going for Romney by over 60% (some in the 70s) in 2012. I think there was some inputting error here.

Considering these areas then apparently had 60-70% swings back to Clinton in 2016, I'm willing to bet this is the case.

Something did seem a bit odd there. I'll look into it.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #215 on: April 01, 2017, 10:09:21 PM »

This is fascinating stuff, being able to graphically look at the data at a national level, and the swing map in particular both reinforces and simultaneously challenges some aspects of the CW about the 2016 GE...

1.) So, for starters although it is pretty clear that there was a significant overall swing towards the Republican candidate in rural heavily White precincts nationally, as well in in small towns and cities, this phenomenon was by no means universal, particularly in the Western United States, the Southern Part of the Great Plains, the Hill Country of Texas, Parts of Cajun Country in Lousiana

2.) The map clearly demonstrates the overall massive swing towards the Republican candidate in the "Corn Belt" and "Grain Belt" of the Upper and Northern Midwest in many precincts that are properly classified as "rural America", and all the way through huge swathes of Pennsylvania and Upstate New York.

3.) One other interesting item that the map graphically details is the extent of the voting swings between Metro areas and rural areas and smaller towns/cities.

Granted, it is necessary to zoom into the highest level detail and scroll gradually through the United States to see how extensive those swings overall were in almost all large Metro areas, regardless of the Anglo/Minority Population statistics....

Sure, we have an idea from other research that in general many of the highest income areas, even in heavily Republican places swung for towards the Democratic candidate by 15-20% margins.

However, obviously the vast majority of Metro area residents do not fall into the "upper middle class" category...

There are a ton of Metro areas we have talked about on Atlas regarding the Democratic swings, obviously Phoenix and Metro Atlanta spring immediately to mind, as well as some talk about places like Columbus, Ohio, OC California, NoVA, some Metro areas in Texasand a few other places as well.

But, look at Metro Saint Louis, Kansas City, Minneapolis- St-Paul, Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Columbia, Charleston, Charlotte, Richmond, Louisville, Cincinnati, Kalamazoo, etc... Not to even mention traditionally solidly Democratic bastions in the West Coasts, and Boston.

These areas all swung towards the Democratic Nominee in 2016, in many cases by significant numbers.

It will be interesting to observe if the 2016 trends continue further into 2020, or if this election was just a one time anomaly...

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #216 on: April 02, 2017, 01:32:25 AM »

Btw, wikipedia says turnout dropped by 0.2% from 2012-2016. Is that true?

Absolutely not.

2016 turnout was slightly higher than 60%.

2012 turnout was only 58%.

2008 turnout was 62%.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: April 02, 2017, 10:02:24 AM »

Are you planning on finishing out your maps on https://rynerohla.com/index.html/election-maps/ at any point in the near or distant future? I really appreciate the higher level of detail on those static image maps compared to the national map (which while great, still leaves a bit of room for improvement for many urbanized areas).

Yeah, I'll get to it some time in the next week.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #218 on: April 02, 2017, 03:03:06 PM »

Great job on the nationwide map! Is there a chance that you could do a map of McMullin's performance in Idaho?
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2017, 01:24:12 AM »

You can really see how Clinton's win in Minnesota was dependent on doing not that bad in the rural areas. If this changes in the future, a strong performance in Minneapolis isn't going to cut it.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #220 on: April 06, 2017, 09:18:53 AM »

I did another write-up, this time about precinct results and urbanization: https://decisiondeskhq.com/data-dives/what-do-dense-trump-areas-look-like-sparse-clinton-areas/
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #221 on: April 06, 2017, 09:33:02 AM »

Your articles on precinct level analysis on DDHQ have been excellent!
chronicleiris
Rookie

« Reply #222 on: April 11, 2017, 10:25:53 AM »

GG. Congrats. Look below
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/apr/10/washington-state-graduate-designs-map-showing-prec/
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: April 13, 2017, 10:53:19 PM »

Are you planning on finishing out your maps on https://rynerohla.com/index.html/election-maps/ at any point in the near or distant future? I really appreciate the higher level of detail on those static image maps compared to the national map (which while great, still leaves a bit of room for improvement for many urbanized areas).

Yeah, I'll get to it some time in the next week.

Bumping this request for when your have time.

Here's Missouri:

NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #224 on: April 13, 2017, 11:44:26 PM »

If this is our local home town guru--- RI much and well deserved kudos from beyond the Atlas Underground into the mainstreaming world of academia and potential private sector employment if those are your wishes in the future...   Smiley Smiley Smiley

I do have to say that these precinct level national maps are the best value ever, and the amount of labor and detail involved in producing these is simply mind blowing---- and Alcon who doesn't chill very often on the Forum anymore was one of the best when it came to maps and precinct level data.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies