RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:47:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread  (Read 60995 times)
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« on: December 01, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »

Iowa?? Smiley
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 10:13:35 AM »

I'm not very knowledgeable about WA, so two questions:

1) What is the geographic framework of the Seattle metro?  Are any of its outer suburbs Republican still or maybe a few inner precincts that are super White and wealthy or something?

2) What kind of folks/developments exist on those islands?  Are they "rural," or are they kind of a happenin' spot to live?

Thanks!
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 12:57:59 PM »

AMAZING maps!  I can at least give my Johnson County, IA (current residence) notes:

- The dark red in the center-right of the county is downtown Iowa City and the east side of town (generally older, lower income relative to the west side).  Staunchly Democratic, true Yellow Dogs
- The area just to the lower left is the west side of Iowa City, which is normally more Republican (thought still Democratic), and it is the same shade as the areas to the northwest - Coralville and North Liberty - two towns of about 20,000+ each that are indistinguishable from Iowa City (as in, the population never stops, they're all connected)
- The northern strip of the county that is blue is mostly wildlife area/part of a state park, and the only people who live out there are wealthy retirees who live in the woods or on Lake McBride
- The west strip of blue is mostly working class, classically rural small towns ... prime Trump pickup territory
- The top right that went blue is mostly rural
- The bottom right strip that is blue is mostly farmland but includes the small town of Lone Tree, which has experienced explosive growth since 2000 and is relatively affluent

Pretty much, Iowa City is like the Solid South.  You're a Democrat, or you don't really talk about politics.  The populated areas are almost unanimously Democratic (minus a few of the richer elementary school districts, which is how the precincts are broken up a lot of the time, which tend to be about 50/50), and the Republican strength in the area comes from a few outnumbered affluent families living in the more populated areas, the even more outnumbered small towns and the even MORE outnumbered rich people who moved out to live by the lake, haha.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 10:41:39 PM »

Anyone want to explain the Republican areas of San Francisco?
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 05:54:49 PM »

So Celebration voted for Trump? That comes as a bit of a surprise.

Yeah, from limited research, it seems like a small community of rich White people in Central Florida ... seems like a Trump county to me.  Exit polls show that Trump's percentage correlated directly with a higher income, with being White and being a White Southerner, specifically.  It seems like that place would be rock-ribbed Republican.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 10:53:34 AM »

LOL, I love how MS is pretty much navy blue vs. dark red.

Also, I just kind of realized this morning that if you knew where someone lived - and that area was in a really small (likely forested?) precinct - you could theoretically prove how they voted, even if they preferred to keep it secret, haha.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 11:19:17 AM »

It'd be really interesting to see metro areas circled/outlined on these.  It's easy to just see a glob of red and assume that's the metro, but I'd wager the outer suburbs of most metros are solidly blue.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 01:09:03 PM »

It'd be really interesting to see metro areas circled/outlined on these.  It's easy to just see a glob of red and assume that's the metro, but I'd wager the outer suburbs of most metros are solidly blue.

Do you mean city boundaries? Metros areas are just county aggregations. I could probably do city boundaries for a state or two by request, but I'm not going to do it generally as I feel it makes things more cluttered.

I wasn't requesting, just thinking "out loud," haha.  But I meant within the counties, I guess (like the yellow areas on a road map).
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2017, 10:20:21 AM »

Interesting that the giant Dem swing in the middle of NJ seems to have actually stayed (barely) Republican.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies