RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:45:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Dereich)
  RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RI's 2016 Precinct Map Thread  (Read 61021 times)
Linus Van Pelt

« on: March 30, 2017, 07:41:09 PM »

Great stuff!
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 08:21:23 PM »

An insane amount of people online think that election maps are "misleading" because ... the country is not uniform in population density.

They would be misleading if they were used not to look at geographic patterns but instead to tell who won more total votes. But, good news, we've got Arabic numerals for that.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2017, 08:53:57 PM »

Realisticidealist - just FYI, looking at Dane County WI on the DDHQ site map, there seems to be a problem calculating the swing in some precincts.

City of Madison 26 has Obama 80-20 and Clinton 71-22, but the swing given is D+30.
City of Madison 76 has Obama 91-8 and Clinton 86-9, but the swing given is D+35.

I don't know whether the issue is local or widespread; these two precincts just jumped out at me since they are areas that would not intuitively swing to Clinton but had a deep blue on the swing map.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 08:16:24 PM »

Realisticidealist - just FYI, looking at Dane County WI on the DDHQ site map, there seems to be a problem calculating the swing in some precincts.

City of Madison 26 has Obama 80-20 and Clinton 71-22, but the swing given is D+30.
City of Madison 76 has Obama 91-8 and Clinton 86-9, but the swing given is D+35.

I don't know whether the issue is local or widespread; these two precincts just jumped out at me since they are areas that would not intuitively swing to Clinton but had a deep blue on the swing map.

Yeah, those are two highly convex precincts which sometimes messes with the calculation as it's based on centroids. Those two should be fixed now.

OK, I see - thanks.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies