Question for Trump supporters - when did America stop being 'great'?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:41:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Question for Trump supporters - when did America stop being 'great'?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Question for Trump supporters - when did America stop being 'great'?  (Read 2781 times)
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 13, 2016, 07:54:28 AM »

Serious question - when do you think, to within five years - this happened and why?

I am genuinely curious.
Erich Maria Remarque
LittleBigPlanet
YaBB God
Sweden

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2016, 08:00:53 AM »

When Reagan were forced to choose GHWB as VP and gave rise to the ugliest dynasty. President of peace Trump end it and the most corrupt dynasty as well.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2016, 08:18:47 AM »

I'd suggest that the vast majority do not vote on the basis of campaign slogans.
LLR
LongLiveRock
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 08:30:38 AM »

I'd suggest that the vast majority do not vote on the basis of campaign slogans.

No, they vote on message. Trump's slogan was his message, and it was concise, descriptive, and brilliant - it meant whatever it meant to a particular voter and it worked splendidly
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 09:08:19 AM »

No, they vote on message. Trump's slogan was his message, and it was concise, descriptive, and brilliant - it meant whatever it meant to a particular voter and it worked splendidly
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »

I was in rural Illinois last-August and overheard some people talking about how Obama had 'ruined this country'.

I gazed around at the beautiful scenery along the Illinois river, thought about the wonderful little villages we'd been spending time in and the friendliness and positivity of all the people I'd met from Chicago to Utica, and thought, what the  are they going on about?

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2016, 09:58:13 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2016, 10:00:49 AM by Spicy Purrito( (((☭ )))-MA) »

When did America start being great?
Did it ever stop being great?
Was it ever made great again?
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2016, 10:00:59 AM »

Never was great, but the downfall was the election of Reagan. Others might say 1972, and they wouldn't be wrong.
Craziaskowboi
Rookie

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2016, 12:00:01 PM »

Sometime between 1998 and 2008.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2016, 12:06:22 PM »

America was made great by unions in the aftermath of World War II. They allowed for the creation of a wealthy middle class society where wealth was evenly distributed.

America was made not great by the Immigration Act of 1965 which, while it did the admirable thing of getting rid of race based immigration quotas, opened the doors to wide and let too many people in, mostly people too poor to pay income tax and dependent on government services that American born citizens pay for but never get to use themselves. This is the main cause of the growing gap between rich and poor that liberals usually love to complain about.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 01:12:49 PM »

2013 when the top marginal rates went up and along with the Obamacare taxes.  My plan based these tax rates is to go into semi-retirement in end of 2018 and go into perm retirement around 2022.  The election of Trump was a surprise for me.  If Trump manages to reduce the top marginal tax rates and get rid of the Obamacare taxes I will most likely delay my retirement plans by 3-5 years at least.   I am hopeful this will take place but not betting on it.  Will wait and see.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 01:18:17 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2016, 01:20:45 PM by realisticidealist »

Probably during the Clinton administration when the internet boom and free trade deals sapped much of the US's comparative advantage and the Lewinsky scandal laid low any moral authority in the Presidency, but the polarizing outcome of the 2000 election and the invasion of Iraq accelerated the process. The process started much earlier with things like Watergate and the Vietnam War, though.
TDantuono
Rookie
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 01:21:07 PM »

America was made great by unions in the aftermath of World War II. They allowed for the creation of a wealthy middle class society where wealth was evenly distributed.

America was made not great by the Immigration Act of 1965 which, while it did the admirable thing of getting rid of race based immigration quotas, opened the doors to wide and let too many people in, mostly people too poor to pay income tax and dependent on government services that American born citizens pay for but never get to use themselves. This is the main cause of the growing gap between rich and poor that liberals usually love to complain about.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 01:23:02 PM »

I'd say about twenty years or so before I was born. The decay began to accelerate in the last twenty, however.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2016, 01:29:09 PM »

America was never great and the world has always been terrible.  Read a history book.

The game is not about making things "great," only less bad.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2016, 01:40:39 PM »

In a very different sense and definition one can argue that late 1980s was when America became not "Great" in my mind.  I always have been a supporter of an Euro-centric America where it is clear that USA was built on Western Civilization and is a West European Civilization offshoot.   In my mind all public discourse should be based on the premise that the dominant cultural norm of America is a Euro-centric America.  In the late 1980s was when this basic premise which I considered core began to change.  Words like Multiculturalism, "Diversity is our strength" etc etc started to prop up.  Even as an extreme atheist I found it demoralizing that then I was told that one cannot say "Happy Christmas" anymore for fear of offending people.

Western Civilization, in my mind, is the superior civilization in the world.  As a Chinese I find sad to admit that this is true but it is.  It is my hope that one day the Chinese Civilization can reach parity with the West but that would have be based on real accomplishments and not empty mumbo-jumbo statements like "we are all the same" and "diversity is our strength."  Until then I find it demoralizing that a nation that I live in based on what I consider the superior civilization would choose to abandon those European roots and in that sense became not "Great" in my eyes.  I also found it sad that during college I often ended up being the vanguard to defend Western Civilization where it was clearly under attack when it was not even "my" civilization.  

When I voted for Trump I did not vote for Trump the person who I have fairly negative feelings toward but I voted for an Euro-centric America.  
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2016, 03:24:16 PM »

In a very different sense and definition one can argue that late 1980s was when America became not "Great" in my mind.  I always have been a supporter of an Euro-centric America where it is clear that USA was built on Western Civilization and is a West European Civilization offshoot.   In my mind all public discourse should be based on the premise that the dominant cultural norm of America is a Euro-centric America.  In the late 1980s was when this basic premise which I considered core began to change.  Words like Multiculturalism, "Diversity is our strength" etc etc started to prop up.  Even as an extreme atheist I found it demoralizing that then I was told that one cannot say "Happy Christmas" anymore for fear of offending people.

Nobody ever told you that.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2016, 04:01:04 PM »

With the release of Jan Terri's "Losing You".

https://youtu.be/hLqvQUoxLFI
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2016, 04:21:14 PM »

2013 when the top marginal rates went up and along with the Obamacare taxes.  My plan based these tax rates is to go into semi-retirement in end of 2018 and go into perm retirement around 2022.  The election of Trump was a surprise for me.  If Trump manages to reduce the top marginal tax rates and get rid of the Obamacare taxes I will most likely delay my retirement plans by 3-5 years at least.   I am hopeful this will take place but not betting on it.  Will wait and see.

The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2016, 04:40:14 PM »

America ceased not being great to them when they lost cultural superiority over the minorities Tongue (I barely joke. I don't think most Trumpists are racists, but a sizable minority are).
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2016, 05:01:08 PM »
« Edited: November 18, 2016, 06:41:42 PM by ExtremeRepublican »

America is great, but it could be far better with values back in our society.

I will give an exact date, though:

January 22, 1973

Actually, no-fault divorce was the beginning of the decline.  The events of that fateful day in 1973 was just when it should have been obvious to everyone, though.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2016, 07:18:09 AM »

Zlad - Electronik Supersonik

https://youtu.be/lp_PIjc2ga4
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2016, 07:46:20 AM »

Western Civilization, in my mind, is the superior civilization in the world.  As a Chinese I find sad to admit that this is true but it is.  It is my hope that one day the Chinese Civilization can reach parity with the West but that would have be based on real accomplishments and not empty mumbo-jumbo statements like "we are all the same" and "diversity is our strength."  Until then I find it demoralizing that a nation that I live in based on what I consider the superior civilization would choose to abandon those European roots and in that sense became not "Great" in my eyes.  I also found it sad that during college I often ended up being the vanguard to defend Western Civilization where it was clearly under attack when it was not even "my" civilization.  

When I voted for Trump I did not vote for Trump the person who I have fairly negative feelings toward but I voted for an Euro-centric America.  

I hope Trump's brownshirts put you and your family on a boat and ship y'all back to Taiwan so we can preserve our Euro-centric values. Smiley
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2016, 09:17:54 AM »
« Edited: November 19, 2016, 09:21:43 AM by Spicy Purrito( (((☭ )))-MA) »

I hope Trump's brownshirts put you and your family on a boat and ship y'all back to Taiwan so we can preserve our Euro-centric values. Smiley
Cheesy

So, it is not just me. Being transracial is a real thing.

What is "Great" anyways?
Is that just what we call not being disappointed or regretting the fact we were born or moved here?
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2016, 05:20:17 PM »

When the tea was thrown in Boston harbour.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies