Will the left finally wake up and realize we need to change our thinking?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:26:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Will the left finally wake up and realize we need to change our thinking?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: skip
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Will the left finally wake up and realize we need to change our thinking?  (Read 1034 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2016, 10:59:21 PM »

They could end the war on whites. I warned them.

Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2016, 11:02:26 PM »

They could end the war on whites. I warned them.

I lost a leg after an RPG hit me during the Great War on Whites, so I hope the left ends it as well. Tongue
AtorBoltox

« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2016, 11:48:33 PM »

Here's what's interesting- the GOP didn't change their way of thinking after 2008 and 2012, in fact they doubled down on it. They still ended up winning this year.

I'd say Trump was a big change from what Romney and McCain were selling.
On trade for sure, but the message sent to Republicans in 2012 was that they needed to attract minority support to win. Instead they focused on driving up white turnout and flipping the remaining WWC that still voted Democratic.
Actually Trump did a tiny bit better than Romney did with Minorities.
Emphasis on tiny. If the white vote had stayed the same the increased minority support was nowhere enough to win.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2016, 12:10:53 AM »

No, we need to embrace Lena Dunham-style feminism, transgender rights, BLM, illegal immigrants, and call for the immediate ban of the Confederate flag. Don't forget to unfriend all Trump supporters on FB. They're irredeemable. We'll get 272 freiwall back with better data analytics, ground game, and more poll aggregation. Nominate a Mexican with connection to the mining industry and we can't lose. Salazar/Schumer 2020.

I know you say that sarcastically, but that's likely exactly what will happen.  There is absolutely 0 evidence that Democrats are learning their lesson.

The Democrats are turning into the UK Labor Party. It's a real shame. America needs a healthy opposition party.

That's a moronic statement. The Democrats hold 48 seats, 193 House seats, and just won the popular vote for President. In fact, in the coming years, we're going to need to worry about that from the Republicans, because your party is the one that is about to machine gun fire itself into a minority rump party, between demographics and economics.

The Democrats are not the party that is in danger. It's the Republicans, who have made their working class white bet and doubled down on it, nonstop, that will end up seeing themselves in a rump position within 8-12 years.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2016, 02:13:06 AM »

The Democrats are not the party that is in danger. It's the Republicans, who have made their working class white bet and doubled down on it, nonstop, that will end up seeing themselves in a rump position within 8-12 years.

[cue post about how destroyed Democrats are downballot]

This is pretty much why I'm not pulling my hair out over this. I don't expect many people to give my perspective of politics in this country a whole lot of thought, but the way I see it is that Republicans have hitched their wagon to an aging & declining base of white voters while essentially writing off the entire Millennial generation and probably soon, Gen Z. What happens when another 10 years of old white people die off? Where are they going to get the voters to replace them? Their advantage among white Millennials is only roughly 8 points and has not grown for over a decade now. They have made no real inroads with minorities and doubtful they will anytime soon. People say they will 'adapt' and sure, they will, but the kind of adaptions they need are substantial and will likely take decades after so thoroughly alienating everyone but old white people.

And then I must ask what Republicans will be saying if Trump is as unpopular as he is now heading into 2018? That Trump is "different" and somehow the GOP will be invincible to the old, trusty midterm backlashes? We got deeply unlucky under Obama to get hit with 2 waves, one which screwed us with redistricting, and Trump could very well do the same to Republicans, especially if Trump's supporters feel like he was not the man he said he was and didn't bring the jobs back or otherwise do what he said he'd do.

So yes, Democrats have been hurting for a while and will continue to hurt, but in the not-to-distant future, the Boomer generation will begin thinning out and the GOP will inevitably begin wondering to itself: "Why did we chain ourselves to this sinking ship?"
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2016, 03:14:19 AM »

This is pretty much why I'm not pulling my hair out over this. I don't expect many people to give my perspective of politics in this country a whole lot of thought, but the way I see it is that Republicans have hitched their wagon to an aging & declining base of white voters while essentially writing off the entire Millennial generation and probably soon, Gen Z. What happens when another 10 years of old white people die off? Where are they going to get the voters to replace them? Their advantage among white Millennials is only roughly 8 points and has not grown for over a decade now. They have made no real inroads with minorities and doubtful they will anytime soon. People say they will 'adapt' and sure, they will, but the kind of adaptions they need are substantial and will likely take decades after so thoroughly alienating everyone but old white people.

And then I must ask what Republicans will be saying if Trump is as unpopular as he is now heading into 2018? That Trump is "different" and somehow the GOP will be invincible to the old, trusty midterm backlashes? We got deeply unlucky under Obama to get hit with 2 waves, one which screwed us with redistricting, and Trump could very well do the same to Republicans, especially if Trump's supporters feel like he was not the man he said he was and didn't bring the jobs back or otherwise do what he said he'd do.

So yes, Democrats have been hurting for a while and will continue to hurt, but in the not-to-distant future, the Boomer generation will begin thinning out and the GOP will inevitably begin wondering to itself: "Why did we chain ourselves to this sinking ship?"

Please add all the economic issues that we're going to be facing down the road, and boom, you have it. I would only amend your quote to say that the economic issues will be the rocket and the demographics you mention as the fuel.
Kalimantan
Indonesia

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -1.74

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2016, 11:47:49 AM »

Clearly, when your party gets the most votes for President, the most votes in the house and the most votes in the senate, it must change and learn its lesson. Only solution
hopper
United States

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 01:44:28 PM »

The GOP will probably lose Congressional seats in the 2018 mid-terms because the Presidents Party always loses seats in mid-terms except for 1998 and 2002.

Redistricting didn't cost the Dems a House Majority but it cost them seats but not enough to make a  House Majority.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 01:46:58 PM »

"lesson" it than in the US you must not "pander" aka please the majority, but the people living in scarcely populated areas.

not sarcasm: just a fact.
hopper
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 02:13:46 PM »

No, we need to embrace Lena Dunham-style feminism, transgender rights, BLM, illegal immigrants, and call for the immediate ban of the Confederate flag. Don't forget to unfriend all Trump supporters on FB. They're irredeemable. We'll get 272 freiwall back with better data analytics, ground game, and more poll aggregation. Nominate a Mexican with connection to the mining industry and we can't lose. Salazar/Schumer 2020.

I know you say that sarcastically, but that's likely exactly what will happen.  There is absolutely 0 evidence that Democrats are learning their lesson.

The Democrats are turning into the UK Labor Party. It's a real shame. America needs a healthy opposition party.

That's a moronic statement. The Democrats hold 48 seats, 193 House seats, and just won the popular vote for President. In fact, in the coming years, we're going to need to worry about that from the Republicans, because your party is the one that is about to machine gun fire itself into a minority rump party, between demographics and economics.

Immigrants always mostly vote Dem though unless it was the Cubans fleeing the Castro regime in Cuba. I expect Asians to vote Dem for awhile because they are recent immigrant arrivals and mostly live in NYC, NOVA, and San Francisco. 

Economics-Well Dems policies were better during Bill Clinton. He didn't do like Obama did and add a bunch of regulations out of idealogy by executive order.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies