Districts where Trump coattails almost took out Democrats (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:15:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Districts where Trump coattails almost took out Democrats (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Districts where Trump coattails almost took out Democrats  (Read 773 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« on: November 14, 2016, 04:38:22 PM »

I'm surprised Tim Ryan still won by a 2-1 margin in Ohio's 13th, considering how Trump was actually able to flip it.

Was Trump really able to flip OH-13? That's amazing, considering he narrowly lost Mahoning County and the district also includes Kent and a decent chunk of Akron.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2016, 04:23:13 PM »

I'm surprised Tim Ryan still won by a 2-1 margin in Ohio's 13th, considering how Trump was actually able to flip it.

Was Trump really able to flip OH-13? That's amazing, considering he narrowly lost Mahoning County and the district also includes Kent and a decent chunk of Akron.

I doubt Trump won OH-13.  That district was gerrymandered to be a Dem vote sink by taking in African America areas of Akron and Lorain.
I thought the Black parts of Akron are in OH-11?

And it isn't in Lorain at all. It's a combo of white Dem Summit (yes the black parts were largely carved out and dumped into OH-11), plus areas around Youngstown, also taking in Kent State in Portage, plus the town of Alliance in Stark County. There are some blacks in Youngstown of course. Trump probably did carry it.

I don't at all follow, looking at the map, how the district can possibly be less Democratic than Mahoning County as a whole (it's Mahoning plus the most Democratic neighboring areas), considering Hillary won Mahoning County. It was certainly reduced to a single-digit margin, but I can't imagine Trump having won the district as a whole.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies