What is the appeal of Cory Booker?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:12:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  What is the appeal of Cory Booker?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: What is the appeal of Cory Booker?  (Read 4533 times)
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 03:25:22 PM »

Moderate but not too much, non-insane/SJW, charismatic, can appeal to minorities without overly relying on identity politics like Clinton, uncontroversial. Would make a great candidate for 2020.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 03:29:26 PM »

It's going to become interesting to see if the Sanders/Progressive wing is happy to put it's hand in it's pocket every time a Senate/House/Governors race opens up if Democrats are no longer allowed to take donations from corporations. I guess I'm just extremely cynical but it was Wall Street money that put Obama in the White House in 2008.

Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 03:32:17 PM »

lmao at people who support ELIZABETH WARREN for president in this thread saying Cory Booker doesn't have any appeal
Sedona
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.78

P P
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2016, 04:57:20 PM »

Young, black, good speaker, socially liberal, appeals to moderates, one of the few clean politicians here in Jersey, etc.

Just because you don't think he's progressive enough (I agree) doesn't mean he doesn't have any appeal.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2016, 10:10:43 PM »

If Trump is to be defeated in 2020, it will have to be (A) because he doesn't know what he's doing and hasn't gotten a grip on things, and (B) the Democrats have nominated a candidate who's ready to be a REAL President from Day One.  To beat Trump, "The Joke's Over!" has to be the theme of the 2020 campaign, and that assumes that events will have set Trump up for such a scenario. 

In that scenario, will Cory Booker really have enough experience to make it to the Presidency?  He's a first term Senator who was mayor of a heavily black city that was not attractive to business, and whose urban problems are far from insignificant.  I would suggest that in such a scenario, folks wouldn't be turned off to a candidate with DECADES of experience.  I would think there are limits to the "outsider" thing.
Horsemask

Political Matrix
E: -1.81, S: -4.87

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 10:14:53 PM »

Young, black, good speaker, socially liberal, appeals to moderates, one of the few clean politicians here in Jersey, etc.

Just because you don't think he's progressive enough (I agree) doesn't mean he doesn't have any appeal.

This
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 10:15:43 PM »

henster
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 10:27:04 PM »

I do think Cory needs to wife up and start a family before he runs.
drwho1
Rookie
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 12:00:41 AM »

Booker can easily win the Dem nomination and the National election based on turnout of AA voters (if 100% of AA turnout like they did for Obama).

Booker can win the NH and SC primaries.

If Booker motivates enough AA to turnout in all the swing states it will be like the 2012 election again.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2016, 01:34:46 PM »

Booker has received a 95% and a 90% rating from the Americans for Democratic Action. So hardly a conservative. He's certainly charismatic and has a great life story (including the fact that he's been a Mayor, which most national figures haven't been).

Those are mostly measures of partisanship.  For instance, Chuck Schemer, who loves to whore himself out to Wall Street, regularly gets 100% ratings.

And there's no doubt that Booker is quite liberal on social issues.  He's just soft on many economic issues, particularly taxing/regulating corporations, especially finance. 

He was the surrogate who went rogue in 2012 when he got mad at Obama for criticizing hedge funds (I actually thought that his defense of hedge funds was occasionally fair, his heart is just obviously in the incredibly wrong place as a senator from NJ)
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2016, 03:08:19 PM »

Booker has received a 95% and a 90% rating from the Americans for Democratic Action. So hardly a conservative. He's certainly charismatic and has a great life story (including the fact that he's been a Mayor, which most national figures haven't been).

Those are mostly measures of partisanship.  For instance, Chuck Schemer, who loves to whore himself out to Wall Street, regularly gets 100% ratings.

And there's no doubt that Booker is quite liberal on social issues.  He's just soft on many economic issues, particularly taxing/regulating corporations, especially finance. 

He was the surrogate who went rogue in 2012 when he got mad at Obama for criticizing hedge funds (I actually thought that his defense of hedge funds was occasionally fair, his heart is just obviously in the incredibly wrong place as a senator from NJ)

In all fairness Schumer also opposed the Iran Deal (whilst Booker supported it)
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2016, 04:18:58 PM »

In all fairness Schumer also opposed the Iran Deal (whilst Booker supported it)

Is it a sign of mental illness that I slipped into reading "in all fairness" in Trump's voice?
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2016, 07:08:28 PM »

White guilt, African American bloc voting.
DS0816
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2016, 10:00:18 PM »
« Edited: November 16, 2016, 10:04:41 PM by DS0816 »

Cory Booker is a corporatist Democrat with a good-looking face and a charm the party and the beltway news media figures has the makings of a possible winner.

I think this Democratic Party is in severe trouble. They are willfully out of touch with their base. And the Senate Democrats choose to demonstrate this by their electing Chuck “Wall Street’s favorite Democrat” Schumer as their leader.

What Cory Booker appears to offer should be in the party’s past. (I think that it will be.)
Shadows
YaBB God
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2016, 10:19:51 PM »

Cory Booker will unite the strong progressive Sanders faction against him in a way never seen - There is no obligation now to support whichever candidate. Booker is at a whole different level of Wall Street cosyiness considering he doesn't have any political leverage near the Clinton's. He is the guy who outraises Clinton in Wall Street money.

This guys makes Schumer look like having bad Wall Street connections & Schumer is from NY - He will burned in the primaries so bad & won't get any support in the GE!
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2016, 11:31:50 PM »

lmao at people who support ELIZABETH WARREN for president in this thread saying Cory Booker doesn't have any appeal

What if you support both, for different reasons?
DS0816
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2016, 12:48:02 AM »

You may want to go a different website to research schizophrenia.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2016, 12:56:31 AM »

They are both middle tier candidates at best. Little distinction to me. Slight preference to Pocahontas, but oh well.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2016, 01:09:35 AM »

see: Rubio, Marco (in more ways than one Wink )
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2016, 03:50:45 AM »

Any politician coming out of the New York metropolitan area is going to have ties to Wall Street, and a relatively pro-banking voting record. Given that it's the largest industry in the area, that shouldn't be surprising. But for a lot of voters, both in the primary and the general, that's a huge deal-breaker. Myself included.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2016, 10:46:39 AM »

I'm leaning towards supporting him for 2020. He's charismatic, which is extremely important, and a solid speaker. He should be able to get AA's energized, which is a major plus. His main problem is going to be.....you guessed it: white working class voters. It's hard to see what appeal he will have to those.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2016, 01:58:08 PM »

White guilt, African American bloc voting.

This is unsurprising coming from you, but can we stop with this myth?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2016, 02:01:54 PM »

Heh. But seriously, I like Booker for his (attempted) work on criminal justice reform as well as his defeat of an awful mayor, and I like Elizabeth Warren for a lot of things, but primarily for her expertise on finance and economics.

A candidate with the earnestness and criminal justice interest of Booker, and the progressiveness and intellectual expertise of Warren would be my favorite candidate ever.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2016, 02:49:17 PM »

If Trump is to be defeated in 2020, it will have to be (A) because he doesn't know what he's doing and hasn't gotten a grip on things, and (B) the Democrats have nominated a candidate who's ready to be a REAL President from Day One.  To beat Trump, "The Joke's Over!" has to be the theme of the 2020 campaign, and that assumes that events will have set Trump up for such a scenario. 

In that scenario, will Cory Booker really have enough experience to make it to the Presidency?  He's a first term Senator who was mayor of a heavily black city that was not attractive to business, and whose urban problems are far from insignificant.  I would suggest that in such a scenario, folks wouldn't be turned off to a candidate with DECADES of experience.  I would think there are limits to the "outsider" thing.

I don't think that would be much of a problem; a several term mayor followed by 7 years in the Senate is about as much time or maybe even a little more than any governors would have served. While I agree that depending on the electorate's mood someone with a LOT of experience could be called for, if you don't assume that that in advance I don't think the experience argument would work very well.
coloradocowboi
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2016, 10:10:27 PM »

Booker is a perfect hybrid between the oration skills of Barack Obama and the (perceived) crookedness/shadiness of Hillary Clinton. He's probably the single worst candidate that the Democrats could realistically nominate in 2020, and the only one who could put places like Maine AL and Minnesota firmly in the Trump column.

This. Literally nobody likes him except for Democrats, who also found Her Majesty inspiring and were shocked when she lost Middle America.

I think Cory Booker is probably the only candidate whose name I have seen bandied around seriously that will absolutely lose to Drumpf in 2020. But the consultants and donors running the party are apparently dtf us all into a climate-change induced grave so I wouldn't rule out his candidacy yet.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies