MT-SEN 2018: #Populism wins, #ShrillNeoliberalism loses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:18:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MT-SEN 2018: #Populism wins, #ShrillNeoliberalism loses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12
Author Topic: MT-SEN 2018: #Populism wins, #ShrillNeoliberalism loses  (Read 36313 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2017, 09:39:47 AM »

I really don't see Zinke jumping into this race. If he did, it would probably hurt Republican chances here more than help them. Anyway, two other candidates are in: James Dean (R) and his wife Sarah Dean (D). Yeah, she's running a Democrat, so Tester now gets his first primary challenger. Obviously both of them will lose.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Link.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #101 on: October 08, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »

Rosendale reads like a B-teamer to me. This will be a toss-up cause Trump won it by 20 points or so, but its probably Tilt D because Tester is a rockstar.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #102 on: October 19, 2017, 08:08:37 AM »

Surprise, surprise! Fagg is in.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #103 on: October 19, 2017, 02:20:58 PM »

Good lord. His middle school/high school life must have been hell.
Cactus Jack
azcactus
United States

« Reply #104 on: October 19, 2017, 03:04:44 PM »

God hates Faggs.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #105 on: November 13, 2017, 12:07:27 AM »

Licensegate: Troy Downing's hearings (over illegally buying and transferring hunting licenses) to begin November 15.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2017, 10:22:19 PM »

More Licensegate: Candidate Troy Downing (R-San Diego) claims a California home as his primary residence, and receives tax breaks there.
America's Sweetheart ❤/𝕿𝖍𝖊 𝕭𝖔𝖔𝖙𝖞 𝖂𝖆𝖗𝖗𝖎𝖔𝖗
TexArkana
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2017, 10:26:49 PM »

Fagg is a rather unfourtanate last name.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: January 03, 2018, 10:43:55 PM »

Posting this here because it's nice to have one thread for one race.

The GOP primary is basically a three-way race between Rosendale, Downing and Fagg. We'll see who emerges victorious - Rosendale has an edge, but it's still very early. Like JMT said in the other thread, Fagg (the former Yellowstone County Judge) is touting the endorsements of Marc Racicot, Judy Martz, Rick Hill, Stan Stephens and Danny Rehberg, but I'm not sure if that's going to help him win the primary, and that's putting it mildly. Unlike the other Republicans running for Senate, Fagg has also praised McConnell (which might explain why McConnell hasn't thrown his support behind Rosendale yet) and is trying to portray himself as the center-right/traditional conservative Establishment/Anti-Bannonite choice in this race. I'm leaning toward supporting Rosendale, Downing is way too hawkish for my taste and too easy to attack and Fagg strikes me as quite overrated and Denny Rehberg 2.0.

As for the competitiveness of this race, it's probably Lean D at this point, honestly. Some people have also rated it Likely D, but no one really thinks it's a Tossup. I'm still skeptical of the "Tester has this" hype, but I'm beginning to doubt that Republicans have the necessary resources to win this race, particularly since the NRSC "experts" don't really seem to consider this a top-tier race anyway. Given the national environment and high Democratic enthusiasm, Tester's significant fundraising advantage (whoever the Republican nominee is, he will face an onslaught of negative ads, without the cash to respond in kind), the Democrats' high floor as well as the MT Democratic Party's strong organization, I've moved it from Tossup to Lean D, though Democrats would be dumb to take this race for granted. If Republicans lose this race, they really have no one to blame but themselves.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2018, 06:08:32 PM »

Posting this here because it's nice to have one thread for one race.

The GOP primary is basically a three-way race between Rosendale, Downing and Fagg. We'll see who emerges victorious - Rosendale has an edge, but it's still very early. Like JMT said in the other thread, Fagg (the former Yellowstone County Judge) is touting the endorsements of Marc Racicot, Judy Martz, Rick Hill, Stan Stephens and Danny Rehberg, but I'm not sure if that's going to help him win the primary, and that's putting it mildly. Unlike the other Republicans running for Senate, Fagg has also praised McConnell (which might explain why McConnell hasn't thrown his support behind Rosendale yet) and is trying to portray himself as the center-right/traditional conservative Establishment/Anti-Bannonite choice in this race. I'm leaning toward supporting Rosendale, Downing is way too hawkish for my taste and too easy to attack and Fagg strikes me as quite overrated and Denny Rehberg 2.0.

As for the competitiveness of this race, it's probably Lean D at this point, honestly. Some people have also rated it Likely D, but no one really thinks it's a Tossup. I'm still skeptical of the "Tester has this" hype, but I'm beginning to doubt that Republicans have the necessary resources to win this race, particularly since the NRSC "experts" don't really seem to consider this a top-tier race anyway. Given the national environment and high Democratic enthusiasm, Tester's significant fundraising advantage (whoever the Republican nominee is, he will face an onslaught of negative ads, without the cash to respond in kind), the Democrats' high floor as well as the MT Democratic Party's strong organization, I've moved it from Tossup to Lean D, though Democrats would be dumb to take this race for granted. If Republicans lose this race, they really have no one to blame but themselves.

Will Racicot jump in?

/bronz
edtorres04
Rookie
United States

« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2018, 08:38:38 AM »

Thank you MT Treasurer for answering my question. 

Do you think Fagg would have an advantage over Rosendale in a general election vs Tester since Fagg is from Billings?  I think Tester would need to win Billings in order to win statewide.
Strudelcutie4427
Singletxguyforfun
United States

« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »

Endorsed just so I can hear people on TV say Senator Fagg
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: January 17, 2018, 11:59:20 AM »

Do you think Fagg would have an advantage over Rosendale in a general election vs Tester since Fagg is from Billings?  I think Tester would need to win Billings in order to win statewide.

1. No (yes, he has relatively high name recognition in the Billings area and comes from a prominent political family, but nominating him for that reason alone would be dumb).

2. No, he doesn't need to win Yellowstone County at all. In fact, I'd be very surprised if he managed to win it again in 2018, though I'm sure others will disagree with me on that. Republicans need to win it by at least 8 points in order to win the race, and since the county usually reports its results very early, it won't be long until we know how competitive/close the election is.
TheRocketRaccoon
Singapore

« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2018, 12:06:00 PM »

https://twitter.com/PoliticoKevin/status/958738521895907330

@jontester raised $1.5 million in the fourth quarter and has $6.3 million on hand for #MTSen.

http://www.kxlh.com/story/37331349/republican-us-senate-candidates-fagg-rosendale-report-latest-fundraising-totals

Fagg - $615,000 in 2017 (Q4 actual unclear)

Rosendale - $434,000 COH in Q3 2017 (Q4 $330,000)

Downing - $307,221 COH in Q3 2017 (Q3 $492,234)

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2018, 01:28:43 PM »

MT, you mentioned Republicans needing to win Yellowstone by about 8 to beat Tester. What would you say are some of the other county targets for the Republicans or for Tester? Would you say that Cascade county is a decent bellwether for this race? I realize it's been a bit more Democratic than the statewide vote as a whole, but I imagine a Republican candidate would at least need to come close to winning it in order to win statewide.
edtorres04
Rookie
United States

« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2018, 08:44:02 AM »

Fagg meets with WH political director:

http://www.ktvq.com/story/37519579/fagg-meets-white-house-officials-and-talks-montana-senate-race

I'm curious if anyone things that Foxx or Zinke will reconsider getting in this race?  Or are Montana Republicans fairly happy with the field here?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2018, 12:14:06 PM »

Curious how Fagg is getting out ahead of Rosendale
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2018, 12:34:41 PM »

Fagg meets with WH political director:

http://www.ktvq.com/story/37519579/fagg-meets-white-house-officials-and-talks-montana-senate-race

I'm curious if anyone things that Foxx or Zinke will reconsider getting in this race?  Or are Montana Republicans fairly happy with the field here?

At this point Zinke is badly damaged goods and Foxx wants to be Governor.
BudgieForce
superbudgie1582
YaBB God

« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2018, 12:45:17 PM »

How does one pronounce Fagg?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #119 on: February 17, 2018, 12:48:16 PM »

Very carefully and within context.
Unironic Kamala Harris for President Supporter
BeastCoast
Rookie

« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2018, 01:21:40 PM »

I guess it’s okay he’s running in Montana with that name rather than San Francisco.
Doimper
Doctor Imperialism

« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »

Fay-gee. How else would you pronounce it?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #122 on: February 18, 2018, 11:23:49 AM »

Judge Fagg?
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #123 on: February 18, 2018, 12:13:29 PM »

Have fun with the Fagg jokes guys, just going to point out that one of your moderators has been out as a gay man for over 20 years so don't get too carried away. Wink
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #124 on: February 18, 2018, 02:04:42 PM »

Have fun with the Fagg jokes guys, just going to point out that one of your moderators has been out as a gay man for over 20 years so don't get too carried away. Wink
C'mon, you have to admit the name spelling IS unfortunate.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies