MT-SEN 2018: #Populism wins, #ShrillNeoliberalism loses
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:07:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MT-SEN 2018: #Populism wins, #ShrillNeoliberalism loses
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12
Author Topic: MT-SEN 2018: #Populism wins, #ShrillNeoliberalism loses  (Read 36273 times)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: April 27, 2018, 03:12:40 AM »

Obamacare is far more controversial than Jackson. Voters can barely name any cabinet members, let alone recollect a specific incident months before the election. If Tester can get away with voting for Obamacare (which was on literally 100% of voters minds in 2012 and most people in Montana disliked it), I don't see why a random cabinet members that barely any voters will remember will matter. Tester also had a very credible opponent in 2012 too.

Seriously LL, you are a political nerd who has not worked in your entire life. Most voters are not political nerds and don't follow everything 24/7. People tend to vote on bread and butter issues (e.g health care), not some random appointment. I know you're like a 16 year old kid or whatever and you aren't actually working or raising a family, which is why you are so out of touch with the average American voter.

Tester could very well lose because of his liberal voting record, but I don't think this VA thing will even lower his vote share by 0.5%. The media loves making up things that could be damaging because they need to produce articles to get ad revenue (aka $$, which you will learn when you enter the workforce). It's far more likely that immigration or some other issue is what brings Tester down.

Good to see someone on this forum has a brain. Seriously, how many people do you think even know who "Ronny Jackson" is? How many of this tiny group do you think are swing voters? How many of this tiny group of swing voters do you think are going to remember this 6 months from now, let alone base their vote on it? Just lol.

People who are such Trump sycophants that they'd get fired up about Tester voting against some random cabinet nominee are already rock solid Republican banked votes to begin with.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #151 on: April 27, 2018, 05:56:42 PM »

Obamacare is far more controversial than Jackson. Voters can barely name any cabinet members, let alone recollect a specific incident months before the election. If Tester can get away with voting for Obamacare (which was on literally 100% of voters minds in 2012 and most people in Montana disliked it), I don't see why a random cabinet members that barely any voters will remember will matter. Tester also had a very credible opponent in 2012 too.

Seriously LL, you are a political nerd who has not worked in your entire life. Most voters are not political nerds and don't follow everything 24/7. People tend to vote on bread and butter issues (e.g health care), not some random appointment. I know you're like a 16 year old kid or whatever and you aren't actually working or raising a family, which is why you are so out of touch with the average American voter.

Tester could very well lose because of his liberal voting record, but I don't think this VA thing will even lower his vote share by 0.5%. The media loves making up things that could be damaging because they need to produce articles to get ad revenue (aka $$, which you will learn when you enter the workforce). It's far more likely that immigration or some other issue is what brings Tester down.

Good to see someone on this forum has a brain. Seriously, how many people do you think even know who "Ronny Jackson" is? How many of this tiny group do you think are swing voters? How many of this tiny group of swing voters do you think are going to remember this 6 months from now, let alone base their vote on it? Just lol.

People who are such Drumpf sycophants that they'd get fired up about Tester voting against some random cabinet nominee are already rock solid Republican banked votes to begin with.

This reminds me of when the January government shutdown was going to spell doom for the Democrats.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #152 on: April 27, 2018, 06:02:33 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2018, 06:07:51 PM by MT Treasurer »

Early GE predictions:

Tester vs. Rosendale (Lean D): 49.5% Tester (D), 45% Rosendale (R)
Tester vs. Fagg (Likely D): 51% Tester (D), 43% Fagg (R)
Tester vs. Downing (Lean/Likely D): 51% Tester (D), 44.5% Downing (R)

Not getting my hopes up.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #153 on: June 08, 2018, 11:07:38 AM »

Unofficial results of the Republican primary:

BBD
Big Bad Don

« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2018, 04:33:49 PM »

http://www.kpax.com/story/38399740/gop-nominee-rosendale-backs-out-of-first-scheduled-debate-with-sen-tester

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Maryland Matt chickens out of the debate.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2018, 04:39:36 PM »

Sad
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2018, 05:27:31 PM »

What “Independent” would use the term “Maryland Matt” unironically? Hmm.

Anyway, here’s another nice map:

A Republican winning Yellowstone by 40 and still losing statewide is pretty much unprecedented, I believe.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2018, 11:23:45 AM »

Tester bringing out some newspaper ads as Trump visits Montana
wesmoorenerd
westroopnerd
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.13

« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2018, 11:34:18 AM »

Tester bringing out some newspaper ads as Trump visits Montana

Now that's how you win reelection as a Montana Democrat!
ajc0918
United States

« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2018, 11:49:20 AM »

Great news for Senator Tester!

Judge boots Green Party from Montana ballot in boost to Tester

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/396303-judge-boots-green-party-from-montana-ballot-in-boost-to-tester
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2018, 12:17:02 PM »

Nice!
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2018, 12:34:16 PM »

Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #162 on: July 10, 2018, 01:08:30 PM »

Needlessly sordid move from Judge Reynolds to pick apart petition signatures for ballot access.
Steve Kelly hardly stood as a serious threat to Tester's shot at re-election, in any case.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2018, 01:22:00 PM »

Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #164 on: July 10, 2018, 01:29:24 PM »

Good! It was clear that candidate was a plant by the GOP. The green party should just be dissolved. They tried to change the Ds from the outside and failed, the DSA was able to from the inside. They have no point, they are just a protest vote.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #165 on: July 10, 2018, 05:35:11 PM »

MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #166 on: July 29, 2018, 12:08:56 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2018, 12:19:25 PM by MT Treasurer »

So far, Republicans have basically repeated all of their 2012 mistakes in this race - they’re being outspent 10 to 1, letting the Tester campaign define Rosendale early without hitting back effectively, and their ground game (or lack thereof) is a joke compared to the Democrats' huge ground game and domination of the airwaves. It’s not just the Tester campaign, Williams is also taking her race very seriously (more so than Gianforte, it seems). If Republicans were putting even half the effort into this race that they’ve been putting into ND (where they’ve been running a pretty good campaign so far), this race would be much more competitive than it is now. However, the MT GOP/NRSC "experts"/Rosendale campaign really seem intent on blowing this race big time.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #167 on: July 29, 2018, 02:11:32 PM »

So far, Republicans have basically repeated all of their 2012 mistakes in this race - they’re being outspent 10 to 1, letting the Tester campaign define Rosendale early without hitting back effectively, and their ground game (or lack thereof) is a joke compared to the Democrats' huge ground game and domination of the airwaves. It’s not just the Tester campaign, Williams is also taking her race very seriously (more so than Gianforte, it seems). If Republicans were putting even half the effort into this race that they’ve been putting into ND (where they’ve been running a pretty good campaign so far), this race would be much more competitive than it is now. However, the MT GOP/NRSC "experts"/Rosendale campaign really seem intent on blowing this race big time.

Do think think reporter beater can blow this?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #168 on: July 29, 2018, 03:42:16 PM »

He could lose, right now I’d rate it Lean R, Gianforte by 2-5. But it’s honestly humiliating for the MT GOP that a R+11 state is more likely to have two Democratic Senators and a D governor in 2021 than two Republican Senators and a R governor.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #169 on: July 29, 2018, 04:09:16 PM »

He could lose, right now I’d rate it Lean R, Gianforte by 2-5. But it’s honestly humiliating for the MT GOP that a R+11 state is more likely to have two Democratic Senators and a D governor in 2021 than two Republican Senators and a R governor.

I dunno. Honestly, I think PVI is the wrong way to look at it. Democrats have always been decently strong in Montana at the state level. It's really only post-FDR that Democrats weakened at the presidential level, and from the turn of the 20th century, Democrats have represented Montana in the Senate far more than Republicans have.

I'm obviously no expert on Montana and the nuances of their politics, but Republicans seem to be only a slightly better fit at the federal level than Democrats. If you look at their wiki page and completely blot out the presidential column from your vision, then Montana doesn't look very Republican at all.
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #170 on: July 29, 2018, 04:20:02 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2018, 05:04:17 PM by Thunder98 »

I dunno. Honestly, I think PVI is the wrong way to look at it. Democrats have always been decently strong in Montana at the state level. It's really only post-FDR that Democrats weakened at the presidential level, and from the turn of the 20th century, Democrats have represented Montana in the Senate far more than Republicans have.

I'm obviously no expert on Montana and the nuances of their politics, but Republicans seem to be only a slightly better fit at the federal level than Democrats. If you look at their wiki page and completely blot out the presidential column from your vision, then Montana doesn't look very Republican at all.

Montana is the Inter-Mountian West version of West Virginia.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #171 on: July 29, 2018, 04:31:12 PM »

Montana is the Inter-Mountion West version of West Virginia.

I don't know if WV is the best example. The history of partisan power in each state is wildly different. Democrats were far more dominant in WV from the New Deal - 2000s. In Montana, they never had that kind of power but have always managed to keep the state at parity between the two parties insofar as state and Congressional politics is concerned.
mencken
« Reply #172 on: July 30, 2018, 04:16:28 PM »

I don't know if WV is the best example. The history of partisan power in each state is wildly different. Democrats were far more dominant in WV from the New Deal - 2000s. In Montana, they never had that kind of power but have always managed to keep the state at parity between the two parties insofar as state and Congressional politics is concerned.

Montana only elected two Republican Senators during that time period.
YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #173 on: July 30, 2018, 04:29:54 PM »

While generally voting GOP at the presidential level. WV basically only voted R’s in landslides.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #174 on: July 30, 2018, 04:29:58 PM »

Yes I know, but my posts were concerning the state as a whole and not just Senatorial elections.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies