Atlasian Messenger
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:45:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Atlasian Messenger
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13
Author Topic: Atlasian Messenger  (Read 33935 times)
Akno21
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2005, 09:48:54 PM »

Southeast Governors Race Heating Up[/u]

MEMPHIS-- In what many have considered to be the most politically active region in the country, there are already two strong candidates for Governor. Senator Cosmo Kramer (SAP-AR) announced his intentions to run for the Governorship, in a move that had been expected since he recently said he wouldn’t run for Senate or President but another elected office.

Kramer said “I am now announcing my bid for Governor of the Southeast Region.  I do comend Governor Dubya for his hard-work, yet I believe I can bring more to the office.  The Governor and I have talked, and I assure the public we will conduct a clean and fair campaign.The Southeast is a wonderful region, full of a variety of different things to do and see.  It's a region full of history and tradition.  I'd be honored to serve the great people of this region, and I ask the voters of the southeast to give me this chance.”

Governor Dubya (ACA-FL) responded, saying “I have come before y'all tonight to announce that I will be running for Governor again in August!  I was planning to wait before making this announcement, but since my opponent, Mr. Kramer, announced his candidacy today, I decided that I wouldn't let myself be bested by populist-liberal scum (just kidding, Preston Wink)”

Political analysts say the race could turn out similar to the last two, with Kramer replacing StatesRights as the more conservative, and “Dixie Pride” option, against the more moderate Dubya. While another tie is certainly possible, knowing the candidates, they will do everything they can to convince the voters to avoid a tie, and vote for them. 

Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2005, 10:00:04 PM »

Interesting that I am labeled a "conservative."

I know what you mean, though, Akno.  I probably will get most of the votes of the StatesRights coalition.  But I'm Cosmo Kramer, not StatesRights.  I have supporters of my own to add to that coalition.

The way I come to labeling you as that is that it's what you are known for. If you ask any forum member what phrase to use to describe you politically, "socially conservative" would be sure to come up often.

You definitly can expand on StatesRights voters, it depends what you stress and who you court, and how heavily you do so.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2005, 10:28:59 PM »

Dear God, we don't want another tie!!!!!

5 out of the last 6 SE elections have ended in a tie.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2005, 10:35:27 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2005, 11:54:04 PM by LiberalPA »

Former Vice-President Returns To Atlasian Politics[/b][/u]

PITTSBURGH-After leaving a while back to calm down a bit and take a break from the stressful Atlasian political scene, Keystone Phil has finally returned. "I know it didn't last long but my staying away from Fantasy politics is over. I was very serious about leaving but figured I'd give it another shot." he said earlier today.

Phil also announced that he was staying with the ACA, the party he was a member of before he left. Will he make a huge return, like Fritz, and run for office in August? Only time will tell.

People of all different views and parties happily welcomed Phil back to the political scene. It seems he has not lost any of his popularity from before. We missed you Phil, and we're all glad to see you back where you belong.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2005, 10:38:17 PM »

I know what you mean, though, Akno.  I probably will get most of the votes of the StatesRights coalition.  But I'm Cosmo Kramer, not StatesRights.  I have supporters of my own to add to that coalition.

Well seriously I believe their is a different left-right scale in the Southeast. This is what I believe. In the Southeast the "Liberal" to Conservative scale is more in proportion to Dixie Unionism and "Southern Pride" than any political issues, in that way it is much like Quebec were the political divisions are more along the line of Seperatist and Unionist. This Southeastern political scale runs from Seperatist on the right end to status quo on the other. Almost all Southerners are not Seperatist but slowly going towards the liberal side you first get StatesRights and his supporters who I would call Nullificationists who supported States through the whole nullification debacle and consider it a good thing. They are very fervent supporters of Southern expansion and believe that the South should have more imput in federal government as well as regional government. Next we have people like you Preston who I would call Dixie Unionists who are centre-right on this scale. You believe in an enlarged Southeast but are against nullification and the semi-dictatorial actions taken by StatesRights. You also believe in more autonomy from the central government and that D4 should remain a Southeastern District. Next we have Moderate Dixie Unionists. These people are like Sam Spade and Dubya who are for the annexation of Virginia and possibly Kentucky or Oklahoma but do not call for the larger amounts of States that Nullificationists and Dixie Unionists want. Harry might also fit into this group. They believe that the current relationship between the Federal Government and the Southeast is good and they don't really care if the Southeast has it's own district. They are centrist to centre-left on this chart. Finally you have the Federalists. The Federalists are people like Don, Ben Meyers, and Cash who either do not want to add more states to the Southeast or don't care about it. They believe that the Southeast needs to tone down its rhetoric towards the federal government and they believe that the Southeast should not have a district all to it's own. They believe that the Southeast should not be any different from any other region in Atlasia and often react against the percieved aggression of other Southern groups. Well that's how I see Southeastern politics. Rather intricate for a group of 20 people. Here is a chart of what I am trying to say:

Liberal                                                                                Conservative
<---Federalist----Moderate Dixie Unionist----Dixie Unionist----Nullificationist---->
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2005, 11:47:52 PM »

Well seriously I believe their is a different left-right scale in the Southeast. This is what I believe. In the Southeast the "Liberal" to Conservative scale is more in proportion to Dixie Unionism and "Southern Pride" than any political issues, in that way it is much like Quebec were the political divisions are more along the line of Seperatist and Unionist. This Southeastern political scale runs from Seperatist on the right end to status quo on the other. Almost all Southerners are not Seperatist but slowly going towards the liberal side you first get StatesRights and his supporters who I would call Nullificationists who supported States through the whole nullification debacle and consider it a good thing. They are very fervent supporters of Southern expansion and believe that the South should have more imput in federal government as well as regional government. Next we have people like you Preston who I would call Dixie Unionists who are centre-right on this scale. You believe in an enlarged Southeast but are against nullification and the semi-dictatorial actions taken by StatesRights. You also believe in more autonomy from the central government and that D4 should remain a Southeastern District. Next we have Moderate Dixie Unionists. These people are like Sam Spade and Dubya who are for the annexation of Virginia and possibly Kentucky or Oklahoma but do not call for the larger amounts of States that Nullificationists and Dixie Unionists want. Harry might also fit into this group. They believe that the current relationship between the Federal Government and the Southeast is good and they don't really care if the Southeast has it's own district. They are centrist to centre-left on this chart. Finally you have the Federalists. The Federalists are people like Don, Ben Meyers, and Cash who either do not want to add more states to the Southeast or don't care about it. They believe that the Southeast needs to tone down its rhetoric towards the federal government and they believe that the Southeast should not have a district all to it's own. They believe that the Southeast should not be any different from any other region in Atlasia and often react against the percieved aggression of other Southern groups. Well that's how I see Southeastern politics. Rather intricate for a group of 20 people. Here is a chart of what I am trying to say:

Liberal                                                                                Conservative
<---Federalist----Moderate Dixie Unionist----Dixie Unionist----Nullificationist---->
that's a really good analysis
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2005, 12:24:45 AM »

Good analysis. While I believe the South should have a pride in history    (with a few notable exceptions, of course) and geography and a distinct culture, the South shouldn't get any preferential or special treatment in redistricting, especially for our unicameral legislature (do we as Atlasian citizens have representatives or do only districts have representatives?)
 I believe we "federalists" look to the federal government as our main protector of liberties, that it's a role we expect the feds to take, and take seriously. Isn't the quintessential role of government to protect liberties against abuse of power, even from the state?
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2005, 10:50:51 AM »

Thank you I try my best.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2005, 03:36:11 PM »

"Do or do not... there is no try."
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #59 on: July 15, 2005, 05:43:31 PM »

I would be either a DU or possibly a moderate DU.

I find Preston more a populist while Dubya is a Libertarian-Conservative.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: July 15, 2005, 08:09:14 PM »

Huh? In politics they are, if you look at their entire set of ideas, but according to the scale that I posted above, which is entirely contained in the Southeast, Dubya would be a moderate leftist while Preston would be a moderate conservative.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2005, 08:23:50 PM »

Hobbes Back in the Picture[/u]

LOS ANGELES-- After a break from seeking elected office in Atlasia, the "independent conservative", Mr. Hobbes, is back. The California resident returned to the public scene today to announce his intentions to run for Lt. Governor in the Pacific Region.

"We need a transideological mammal as Speaker of the Pacific House of Representatives," Hobbes declared to cheering from his new bully pulpit, the Tree House.

Hobbes announcement muddles an election picture out west, where there are now 2 Gubernatorial candidates, both of whom have de facto running mates, which makes for 3 Lt. Governor candidates. Whether Hobbes will be able to court support outside of himself is unclear, although he is the only socially conservative candidate in the Lt. Governor race, and if he can get enough votes from the conservative bloc, a former President may be left scratching his head over another lost election.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2005, 09:38:18 PM »
« Edited: July 15, 2005, 09:43:24 PM by LiberalPA »

Our New Districts Will Be Decided....Eventually[/u]

NYC-As we continue to wait to see the new districts, the process has slowed down immensely. The Governors have narrowed the field down to three maps, but unfortunately, little has been accomplished since. So far only two Governors have voted in the three map run off, and they Dubya and Joe Republic. What map will be picked? How will it affect Atlasian politics? When are we going to find out what map was picked? I dont have these answers....yet. I (or one of my employees) will post an analysis, along with predictions, about the map as soon as we get one.

After counting up the votes we have so far, Map 5 is in the lead.

the maps that are left:
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2005, 06:46:29 AM »

Hobbes announcement muddles an election picture out west, where there are now 2 Gubernatorial candidates, both of whom have de facto running mates, which makes for 3 Lt. Governor candidates. Whether Hobbes will be able to court support outside of himself is unclear, although he is the only socially conservative candidate in the Lt. Governor race, and if he can get enough votes from the conservative bloc, a former President may be left scratching his head over another lost election.
John Ford's choice of True Democrat was a good one since he needed to attract non-conservatives to the ticket.  But frankly I have to question the validity of True Democrat's claim to be a "true" Democrat when he is the de facto running mate of a neoconservative, and he consistently seems to support some candidates based on odd, inexplicable hatred of other members (i.e. in an election between Dubya, StatesRights, and Harry, he endorsed Dubya).  And he just resigned as Secretary of Forum Affairs citing a lack of competence and time; after losing a Senate seat why would he resign the position he was able to hold on to?
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2005, 08:00:37 AM »
« Edited: July 16, 2005, 08:25:42 AM by True Democrat »

John Ford's choice of True Democrat was a good one since he needed to attract non-conservatives to the ticket.  But frankly I have to question the validity of True Democrat's claim to be a "true" Democrat when he is the de facto running mate of a neoconservative, and he consistently seems to support some candidates based on odd, inexplicable hatred of other members (i.e. in an election between Dubya, StatesRights, and Harry, he endorsed Dubya).  And he just resigned as Secretary of Forum Affairs citing a lack of competence and time; after losing a Senate seat why would he resign the position he was able to hold on to?

I will answer all of your questions.  I support peple not only based on ideology, but also because of ability and moral character.  I am a "True" Democrat because I support people who are able to reach out to all sides and not be corrupt.  For example, in the Southeast Governor's race, I supported Dubya because he didn't enjoy secession or racism (Statesrights) or corruptness (Harry).  I believe he has led the Southeast to the future.  In the real world, there is probably no way I could support Dubya, but this is a game.  I continue to support people like John Ford, ColinW, and other conservatives because they are able to work with the left to compromise.  To answer your last question, the SoFA position takese a lot of time and energy, which I don't have over the summer.  However, being Lt. Governor does not take nearly as much time.  This is the reason I decided to run for Lt. Governor and not Governor or stay SoFA.
WiseGuy

« Reply #65 on: July 16, 2005, 12:58:03 PM »

Huh? In politics they are, if you look at their entire set of ideas, but according to the scale that I posted above, which is entirely contained in the Southeast, Dubya would be a moderate leftist while Preston would be a moderate conservative.

Weird...Tongue

You're correct, In real politics I am a Libertarian-Conservative.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #66 on: July 16, 2005, 03:18:58 PM »

It doesn't matter how many times that lie is debunked, people will always believe it.... Sad , and I will probably never hold office again.  Thanks Peter.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2005, 04:09:33 PM »

It doesn't matter how many times that lie is debunked, people will always believe it.... Sad , and I will probably never hold office again.  Thanks Peter.
Cheesy
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2005, 12:47:47 AM »

I will answer all of your questions.  I support peple not only based on ideology, but also because of ability and moral character.  I am a "True" Democrat because I support people who are able to reach out to all sides and not be corrupt.  For example, in the Southeast Governor's race, I supported Dubya because he didn't enjoy secession or racism (Statesrights) or corruptness (Harry).
Your charges of racism and corruptness are quite severe; would you care to back them up with some concrete evidence for everyone else to see?

I believe he has led the Southeast to the future.  In the real world, there is probably no way I could support Dubya, but this is a game.  I continue to support people like John Ford, ColinW, and other conservatives because they are able to work with the left to compromise.
Fair enough.  But I just hope that you won't compromise on important issues where the left and right cannot agree.  Although considering your views on the Iraq war, I guess you've already done that.

To answer your last question, the SoFA position takese a lot of time and energy, which I don't have over the summer.  However, being Lt. Governor does not take nearly as much time.  This is the reason I decided to run for Lt. Governor and not Governor or stay SoFA.
You decided to run for Lt. Governor and not Governor-- you do realize that the Lt. Governor should be prepared at all times to assume the Gubernatorial spot should the Governor resign?

Also, one other question: considering your main opponent is a member of the same party as you, and has considerably similar leftwing views on social issues, do you not feel like you're putting your party in an uncomfortable position?  I certainly would question the legitimacy of any campaign that was launched only to give some needed support to a rightwing gubernatorial candidate.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: July 17, 2005, 12:54:02 AM »

Also, one other question: considering your main opponent is a member of the same party as you, and has considerably similar leftwing views on social issues, do you not feel like you're putting your party in an uncomfortable position?  I certainly would question the legitimacy of any campaign that was launched only to give some needed support to a rightwing gubernatorial candidate.

I believe it does not put my party in an uncomfortable position.  There's nothing wrong with a good primary fight once in a while.  Smiley  I did not launch this campaign only to give support to a rightwing candidate.  I believe John Ford is highly competent to serve as Governor.  He has served admirably in positions such as Senator and Secretary of Defense.  As for my similar views to Bob a.k.a. Robert Goldwater, I do not want people to vote against Goldwater, but to instead vote for me.  I believe I could serve better than him because of my experience in the past, however, once again I stress that my supporters should not be anti-Goldwater.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: July 17, 2005, 12:56:30 AM »

As for my similar views to Bob a.k.a. Robert Goldwater, I do not want people to vote against Goldwater, but to instead vote for me.  I believe I could serve better than him because of my experience in the past, however, once again I stress that my supporters should not be anti-Goldwater.
But um, as you stated earlier this is just the Lt. Governor position.  I don't think you need a lot of experience to handle the position, and frankly I'm a bit surprised that a Lieutenant Gubernatorial election could be based on what experience the candidates have.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #71 on: July 17, 2005, 01:27:14 AM »

As for my similar views to Bob a.k.a. Robert Goldwater, I do not want people to vote against Goldwater, but to instead vote for me.  I believe I could serve better than him because of my experience in the past, however, once again I stress that my supporters should not be anti-Goldwater.
But um, as you stated earlier this is just the Lt. Governor position.  I don't think you need a lot of experience to handle the position, and frankly I'm a bit surprised that a Lieutenant Gubernatorial election could be based on what experience the candidates have.

I said before one doesn't need much time.  I don't think experience is necessary, but I believe it is helpful.  I have a question for you.  Why are you putting so much emphasis onto the Lt. Governor's race in the Pacific instead of the Redistricting issue that is going on or other important issues in Atlasia?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: July 17, 2005, 01:52:58 AM »
« Edited: July 17, 2005, 01:57:29 AM by Secretary of Defense Porce »

I said before one doesn't need much time.  I don't think experience is necessary, but I believe it is helpful.
And as I stated beforehand, the Lt Governor should be prepared to assume the Gubernatorial spot at any time, unless John Ford has promised he will not resign in office under any circumstances, which kind of takes away any appeal of a leftist to vote for Ford just because you are running with him.  In regards to experience, does one need to be a former president and failed senate candidate in order to serve as Lt Governor?  No; in fact, experience really shouldn't be an issue at all.  It's a non-issue that people who have held more offices use to drum up support.

I have a question for you.  Why are you putting so much emphasis onto the Lt. Governor's race in the Pacific instead of the Redistricting issue that is going on or other important issues in Atlasia?
First of all, I have made my views on redistricting clear in the appropriate thread.  Am I not allowed to focus on any other issues?  Do you not consider an election where you are a candidate important?  I am not interfering with an election; I just have some questions for the candidates.  If you are trying to attract leftwing and left-of-center voters to the Ford/True Democrat ticket, you should be prepared to answer questions that any leftists have, whether or not they are in your region (think about party, caucus, and league endorsements).  If you would like me to ignore your election for other issues, I'd like to see why.  I'd also like to see you respond to the questions you ignored, such as this one:

I will answer all of your questions. I support peple not only based on ideology, but also because of ability and moral character. I am a "True" Democrat because I support people who are able to reach out to all sides and not be corrupt. For example, in the Southeast Governor's race, I supported Dubya because he didn't enjoy secession or racism (Statesrights) or corruptness (Harry).
Your charges of racism and corruptness are quite severe; would you care to back them up with some concrete evidence for everyone else to see?
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #73 on: July 17, 2005, 02:36:40 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2005, 03:47:09 PM by Defarge »

Welcome to another edition of the Hill, the column concerning the government workings of Atlasia.  Today, we have an exclusive interview with Atlasia’s Vice-President, Emsworth.  It’s been an exciting week here in Atlasia, not only in the Senate but in the vaunted smoke filled rooms across the nation as potential candidates examine their options.  However, since I only cover the boring government stuff, here is the day’s news.  Don't think I don't know no one reads this stuff Smiley, which is why i provide this useful Wall Street Journal esque summary.

In the News

Summary

• The Supreme Court will soon rule on Bono vs. Atlasia.  At stake is whether the Federal Government has the right to regulate the economy in any way shape or form.  Should Bono succeed, a constitutional crisis may result.
  • President Siege has nominated Ilikeverin to the Department of Forum Affairs.  Ilikeverin is expected to be confirmed.
  • The Senate passed the budget, the second in its history.  The deficit is expected to be approximately 500 billion dollars. 
  • Having passed the budget, the Senate is free to move onto other matters.  At the top of the agenda is vote reform.  A committee will soon be established to explore either other possible systems of voting or reform within the system.
  • Senator MasterJedi, at President Siege’s request, has introduced a bill that will unite Atlasia and Canada.  The bill has yet to reach the Senate floor, and has provoked much controversy.

Supreme Court Poised to Rule in Bono vs. Atlasia

The Supreme Court is scheduled to render a decision on Bono vs. Atlasia 2.0 within the week.  The case, in which former Senator Bono has challenged the right of the Federal Government regulate the economy. It is expected that the Court will rule in favor of Atlasia.  However, Bono’s victory would result in massive consequences, as the Senate would be forced to scramble to address the fact that any Government action concerning the economy could become unconstitutional.  If former Senator Bono succeeds, Senator Cosmo Kramer stated on June 3: “I'll move to increase the size of the Supreme Court.  I'll join with other economic progressives to filibuster every bill until it is passed.  I'll bring this movement down.  I'll bring the government to a standstill if I have to.”

The Court is no stranger to nation shaking rulings.  In November, 2004, the Court ruled that effectively all Federal laws had no standing whatsoever, resulting in a constitutional crisis which was resolved only by massive Senate action led by then Attorney General Peter Bell.

President Siege Nominates Ilikeverin as New Secretary of Forum Affairs

On July 14, President Siege announced his nomination of Lt. Governor Ilikeverin to the post of Secretary of Forum Affairs.  The post, which has been vacant since former President True Democrat stepped down earlier in the month citing time issues (aka having a life better than ours Smiley ), is arguably the most important cabinet position in the nation. 

Ilikeverin has a distinguished history in Atlasia.  A former governor, and Peter Bell’s choice to be his Vice-Presidential candidate, the Lt. Governor now faces confirmation hearings.  Ilikeverin faced tough questions from Senators Sam Spade, and ColinW concerning issues ranging from his possession of the software necessary to fulfill the post, to his stance on voting system reform, from his continued use of smiles to his ability to stay up until 12 AM to open and close the polls Smiley

Senator King has stated his opposition to a Secretary Ilikeverin. Said Senator King "This is a powerful position that requires leadership, dedication, and experience.  I could not handle such a task and I do not believe Verin can either."  Senator King's statement appears to have fallen on deaf ears for the moment.

With confirmation hearings over, the Lt. Governor is expected to be confirmed within the next two days.

Senate Passes Budget

For only the second time in eight congresses, the Senate passed Atlasia’s budget 4-0, with Senators DanielX and King abstaining, Senators Gabu and FuturePrez on leave, and Senators PBrunsel and MasterJedi absent.  Credit for passing the budget on time goes to Vice-President Emsworth’s relentless determination to keep the Senate on track.  All 9 Senators contributed to the budget significantly on a range of issues from justice to defense spending. 

The proposed budget is approximately 2.5 trillion dollars, with projected revenues at around 2 trillion dollars.  Thus, the Federal Government currently has a projected deficit of almost 500 billion dollars. 

Senate Proceeds to Other Business

Having fulfilled the constitutionally mandated requirement of a budget, the Senate has moved on to other business.  Currently on the floor of the Senate include the Secret Ballot Procedure Bill (introduced by Senator MasterJedi), the Voting System Reform Bill (introduced in accordance with the Secret Ballot Procedure) and the Signature Avatar Bill (introduced by Senator King), all dealing with election procedures.  The Secret Ballot Procedure Bill has been put on hold by motion of Senator Colin Wixted, and now awaits the establishment and findings of a committee that will determine alternative voting systems.

Future bills which may be of interest include the Unification of Canada and Atlasia Act, which as the name implies will unite Atlasia and Canada into one big happy nation.  The bill, introduced by Senator MasterJedi at the behest of President Siege, has encountered resistance.  Vice-President Emsworth has raised constitutional issues with the bill while Senator Spade posted that “just because you [Senator MasterJedi] occupy Mike Naso's former seat in the Senate does not mean that you are allowed to propose bills that reach his level of inanity.”

In addition, Senator Sam Spade has introduced the Re-Definition of Marriage and Establishment of Civil Unions Bill, which repeals the Marriage Equity Act and the Civil Unions Act.  This could prove to be the first battle between the liberal Siege Administration, and the right-leaning Senate.

That’s the news for today. Stay tuned for another edition of The Hill once the Court makes a ruling.  With that edition, The Hill will also provide an update on the Executive Branch, including the initial actions of every cabinet official.  SEE BELOW FOR AN EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH VICE PRESIDENT EMSWORTH

The Hill, the The Hill logo, and any other The Hill related items are registered trademarks and/or copyrights of The Hill, or their respective trademark and copyight holders.
Defarge

Political Matrix
E: -3.13, S: -0.72

« Reply #74 on: July 17, 2005, 02:37:58 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2005, 02:43:13 PM by Defarge »

The Messenger Interviews Vice President Emsworth on the Senate and the Future of Atlasia

Defarge:  Mr. Vice-President, it’s great to have you here today.  Mr. Vice-President, what is your vision for the Senate, and how, if at all, will it differ with previous Senates?

Emsworth:  Thank you for conducting this interview, Defarge. I have several concerns, but most importantly, I hope that the Senate does not become disconnected from the people. I want the voters to stay informed, to know what their Senate is doing, to participate in government. Informed input from the people is, in my opinion, very important. In previous Senates, many citizens did contribute to some debates, but I would hope that the level of participation rises.

Defarge:  How would you rate the achievements of the current so far?  Why?

I don't think that it would be fair for me to give an assessment at this stage. The Senate has only had a chance to consider the Budget; any fair observer would have to consider more before he or she could give a rating.

Defarge:  Mr. Vice-President, how do you intend to carry out these goals?  More generally, what specific actions, procedural or otherwise, do you intend to take that will make the 8th senate stand out?

Emsworth:  I should say that the Vice President alone cannot achieve such an objective. I do intend to give regular speeches, and speak to some of the more active members about their views; however, the Senators need to do the same with their constituents if such an objective is to be attained.

Defarge:  On the same note Mr. Vice-President, do you feel that Atlasians are too disconnected with the workings of the Senate, too focused on elections?    If so, why?

Emsworth:  Firstly, it is not bad for the citizens to be focused on elections. Indeed, it is entirely natural for them to be engaged in the excitement of the process.

Secondly, I do not think that they are too disconnected. I just think that they could be more involved in lawmaking. Currently, very few private citizens give their input on important matters before the Senate. I do not blame the electorate at all, and I do not blame the government. This is just how things worked out.

However, it is our responsibility, as elected officials, to keep the voters informed and interested. I must commend the Senate on its efforts to address the situation. For example, we are setting up a Commission to investigate voting reform; the body will include several members who are not federal office holders. Thus, important decisions will not be left to the government alone; the citizenry will also be involved.

Similarly, I must thank the media for their efforts. The Messenger, for example, is doing a great job so far. By regularly publishing articles and interviews, it, and other newspapers such as the one run by the Game Moderator, can keep the voters engaged.

Defarge:  Mr. Vice-President, what do you see in the future of the Senate?  What bills do you expect to be passed, what constitutional amendments put in place?

Emsworth:  There are a number constitutional amendments on the Senate agenda. Currently, we are considering an amendment to eliminate the signature and avatar requirement. On the agenda, there are two constitutional amendments adding clauses to the Bill of Rights, one relating to the process of transferring states to different regions, and one that would allow the Senate to consider urgent matters even before the passage of a Budget.

There are also a lot of important, possibly controversial bills on the agenda. For example, there is a bill allowing diplomatic relations with other micronations, a bill to reform the tax system, and a bill to replace gay marriages with civil unions. I expect more significant bills to be introduced as time goes on.

Defarge:  Mr. Vice-President, do you expect the Senate to continue running at this level efficiency for a long time to come?  Why?

Emsworth:  We are currently considering an amendment to the rules that would streamline procedure and allow for quicker, more efficient debate (while at the same time preserving the right of the minority to filibuster). I expect that after the passage of these rules, the Senate will be more efficient in dealing with legislation. The credit for these changes goes entirely to Senator Sam Spade, who has been a prominent leader in the Senate so far.

Defarge:  Mr. Vice-President, many on the left voted for your ticket in order to counterbalance the right-leaning senate.  In what areas do you believe conflict will arise between your administration and the senate, if any?

Emsworth:  That's a difficult question to respond to. If we consider economic issues, for example, we find that the President's approval is not constitutionally required for the passage of the Budget at this stage. Thus, conflict on taxation and spending would not really arise. Similarly, presidential nominations are typically approved by the Senate; thus, nominees will not normally be a source of conflict. This applies not only to President Siege, but also to any other President who may hold office.

Thus, conflict will in most cases, whether for this Presidency or for any other, be limited to forum affairs and social issues. I could not presume to go into further detail; you would have to ask the President about his plans on specific bills.

Defarge:  Mr. Vice-President, what is your impression of the various individual Senators?

Emsworth:  I'm pleased to say that all of the Senators are doing very well. No one has disappeared completely and without prior warning. Turnout in the Senate votes has been very high; so has participation in debates. Of course, there are some who participate in debates more than others, but I would say that they have all been doing a great job so far. I don't think that it would be fair for me to rank or rate the Senators; I will leave that job to you and others in the media!

Defarge:  Moving off the Senate, Mr. Vice-President, October's a long way off, but do you believe that President Siege will run for reelection?  Can you think of any scenario in which President Siege would not run for reelection?

Emsworth:  I don't think that I can give an accurate, reasonable answer to that question. The decision depends not only on how Siege fares as President and the political climate of Atlasia, but also on the President's personal circumstances. He might, for all we know, have more pressing real life concerns.

Defarge:  If President Siege decided not to run for reelection, would you attempt to head a leftist ticket?

Emsworth:  I don't mean to appear to dodge the question, but it is far too early to furnish a definitive answer. The possibility of a run certainly exists; no option is ruled out.

Defarge:  Mr. Vice-President, what do you see in your future after the end of the Siege administration?

Emsworth:  At present, I have every intention of continuing in Atlasian politics for the foreseeable future. What I run for depends on the political climate and on how well I perform as Vice President.

Defarge:  And finally Mr. Vice-President, what do you see in the future of Atlasia?

Emsworth:  I believe that the next two months will constitute an exciting time in the future of Atlasia. We already have some very, very interesting Senate races shaping up. Justice Ernest, Ben Meyers, and Bono all seem ready to contest a seat; they may be joined by Harry, and possibly MHS2002, depending on redistricting. Similarly, CheeseWhiz, ILikeVerin, and PBrunsel may be engaged in a single race as well. Other very competitive races are likely to develop. I hope that an exciting election cycle will keep Atlasia enjoyable for all.

Defarge:  Thank you for sitting down in this interview Mr. Vice-President

Emsworth:  Thank you very, very much for conducting this interview, Defarge

The Hill, the The Hill logo, and any other The Hill related items are registered trademarks and/or copyrights of The Hill, or their respective trademark and copyright holders.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies